Post#1901 » by gambitx777 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 12:27 am

**** Matt barns .

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
Hogified05
Rookie
And1: 498

Re: Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXVII 

Post#1902 » by Hogified05 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 9:03 am

Lol why does everyone think Beal is getting traded? You guys don't even have a GM. Seems like whoever is running the show wouldn't have the authority to ship Beal out. Once y'all got a GM then I'd entertain all these rumors.

Now having said all that, if y'all get off to a bad start this year you think they pack it in for a high pick and trade Bradley with Wall gone for the year? Or they going re-up him anyways and run it back with Beal and Wall? I think Beal and Wall duo may have run its course but that's just my opinion.

Would y'all have any interest in Bamba if y'all were starting over? Just curious.
The hero Orlando deserves is out there somewhere, Dwight was not the one we needed. So we will hunt for him...
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#1903 » by prime1time » Mon Jul 1, 2019 9:48 am

Hogified05 wrote:Lol why does everyone think Beal is getting traded? You guys don't even have a GM. Seems like whoever is running the show wouldn't have the authority to ship Beal out. Once y'all got a GM then I'd entertain all these rumors.

Now having said all that, if y'all get off to a bad start this year you think they pack it in for a high pick and trade Bradley with Wall gone for the year? Or they going re-up him anyways and run it back with Beal and Wall? I think Beal and Wall duo may have run its course but that's just my opinion.

Would y'all have any interest in Bamba if y'all were starting over? Just curious.

Why would we trade him if we get off to bad start? The teams position has been clear. We are offering him an extension at the end of July. We have a team of young players and our max player is injured. Getting off to a bad start is likely. If the Beal Wall backcourt has run its course we are more likely to give up Wall than Beal. Lastly, given the state of the NBA, Bradley Beal is the best trade asset in the NBA. It would take something right below what the Pelicans got for AD to trade for him. Everyone looks at him as their golden ticket. So the notion that you would get Brad while giving minimal assets is not inline with reality. If we trade Brad you better be prepared to give way more than someone who proves absolutely nothing his rookie year.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#1904 » by keynote » Mon Jul 1, 2019 11:57 am

I think these trade rumors are just other teams' way of countering the Wizards' extension offer. I think it's more about getting Beal to reconsider accepting the extension than it is about actually getting Beal for a mixed bag of rotation players and a 1st rounder.

"Psst. If you decide you don't want to settle down, you know we like you. You'll have options."
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#1905 » by nate33 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:38 pm

prime1time wrote:
Hogified05 wrote:Lol why does everyone think Beal is getting traded? You guys don't even have a GM. Seems like whoever is running the show wouldn't have the authority to ship Beal out. Once y'all got a GM then I'd entertain all these rumors.

Why would we trade him if we get off to bad start? The teams position has been clear. We are offering him an extension at the end of July. We have a team of young players and our max player is injured. Getting off to a bad start is likely. If the Beal Wall backcourt has run its course we are more likely to give up Wall than Beal. Lastly, given the state of the NBA, Bradley Beal is the best trade asset in the NBA. It would take something right below what the Pelicans got for AD to trade for him. Everyone looks at him as their golden ticket. So the notion that you would get Brad while giving minimal assets is not inline with reality. If we trade Brad you better be prepared to give way more than someone who proves absolutely nothing his rookie year.

Agreed.

The Wizards are clearly in a 1-year tank-and-reload plan. I'm sure they've discussed it with Beal ahead of time and he's on board with it. It's futile to try and compete in 2019-20 with Wall out. And if you're not going to compete, you may as well tank and sacrifice all current assets for future assets. Sheppard has executed that plan nicely. We've gone from having no 2nd round picks for the next 4 years to having something like 5 of them, with most being high 2nds. Our cap situation going forward is as clean as can be other than Wall's contract.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#1906 » by Dat2U » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:47 pm

nate33 wrote:
prime1time wrote:

Agreed.

The Wizards are clearly in a 1-year tank-and-reload plan. I'm sure they've discussed it with Beal ahead of time and he's on board with it. It's futile to try and compete in 2019-20 with Wall out. And if you're not going to compete, you may as well tank and sacrifice all current assets for future assets. Sheppard has executed that plan nicely. We've gone from having no 2nd round picks for the next 4 years to having something like 5 of them, with most being high 2nds. Our cap situation going forward is as clean as can be other than Wall's contract.

That's a woeful misread of the situation if that's truly the case. This is not a 1-year tank job. Far from it. Even if Wall comes back at 85% of his prime, we are not a playoff team. Even if Troy & Rui become useful sooner than later that lack of skill & rim protection on the roster is clear cut.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1907 » by nate33 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:56 pm

Dat2U wrote:
nate33 wrote:
prime1time wrote:Why would we trade him if we get off to bad start? The teams position has been clear. We are offering him an extension at the end of July. We have a team of young players and our max player is injured. Getting off to a bad start is likely. If the Beal Wall backcourt has run its course we are more likely to give up Wall than Beal. Lastly, given the state of the NBA, Bradley Beal is the best trade asset in the NBA. It would take something right below what the Pelicans got for AD to trade for him. Everyone looks at him as their golden ticket. So the notion that you would get Brad while giving minimal assets is not inline with reality. If we trade Brad you better be prepared to give way more than someone who proves absolutely nothing his rookie year.

Agreed.

That's a woeful misread of the situation if that's truly the case. This is not a 1-year tank job. Far from it. Even if Wall comes back at 85% of his prime, we are not a playoff team. Even if Troy & Rui become useful sooner than later that lack of skill & rim protection on the roster is clear cut.

We shall see.

Wall, Beal, Porter and garbage were good enough to make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs in 3 out of 4 seasons. Beal is much better now and Wall will presumably be worse, I think that's a wash. So is the loss of Porter alone enough to turn a 49-win roster into a cellar dweller? I say no. I think Bryant, in two more seasons, will be better than what Gortat gave us for most of his time here. And I think Hachimura and whomever else we end up getting in free agency will be better than Markieff Morris because anything is better than Markieff Morris. And I think Troy Brown, still only 19 years old, has significant more upside - enough to at least approach Porter's production in two years or so.

One of the keys is that the team Sheppard is building is full of extremely hard-working, high-character guys. Bryant, Hachimura and Schofield all have exceptional work ethic. They're going to bust their butts in the gym and try hard every game night. There will be no more inexplicable laziness from Markieff Morris, or inexplicable passiveness from Otto Porter. No more boneheadedness from Kelly Oubre. And Beal's consistent professional approach is probably a better example than Wall's inconsistent passion. I hope to see a team that gives consistent effort every night.

I think we can be a late playoff seed in the 2020-21 season. And I think Beal can look around at a playoff team full of guys younger than 25 years old and envision this team growing more and more competitive through his next contract. Will they be championship contenders? Probably not. But I think Beal likes here enough that he'll stay as long as the team is at least relevant.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#1908 » by Illmatic12 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 5:01 pm

Dat2U wrote:
nate33 wrote:
prime1time wrote:Why would we trade him if we get off to bad start? The teams position has been clear. We are offering him an extension at the end of July. We have a team of young players and our max player is injured. Getting off to a bad start is likely. If the Beal Wall backcourt has run its course we are more likely to give up Wall than Beal. Lastly, given the state of the NBA, Bradley Beal is the best trade asset in the NBA. It would take something right below what the Pelicans got for AD to trade for him. Everyone looks at him as their golden ticket. So the notion that you would get Brad while giving minimal assets is not inline with reality. If we trade Brad you better be prepared to give way more than someone who proves absolutely nothing his rookie year.

Agreed.

Washington can easily be a playoff team in 2020-21. Along with getting their starting PG back, and internal development from the young guys, they'll have capspace from Mahinmi + Howard off the books and can fortify their depth. And they'll be adding in the 2020 draft picks. Knowing how low the bar in the Eastern conf I don't think playoffs are out of reach by any means.

This upcoming season looks like it will be the rock bottom point. After the season, they'll have a much stronger asset base of players + picks, more capspace, a healthy Wall with one fewer year on his deal, and either an extended Beal or a pile of assets from a Beal trade.
trast66
Rookie
And1: 614

Post#1909 » by trast66 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 5:43 pm

It’s difficult to project to 2021, but playoffs would seem VERY optimistic.

Mil, Bos, Tor, Phi, Brk, Ind, Atl, Chi, Mia are way ahead of us with players and organizational strength.

Hopefully Ted is on board at least 2 years out of playoffs and does not start ordering Tommy to do stupid things to be a 38 win eighth seed.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#1910 » by gambitx777 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 10:10 pm

It's not unheard of for young Scrappy teams with an all-star to over achieve. We need to figure out what to do with wall. But I like a young team. Should be interesting to watch

ktj2477
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#1911 » by ktj2477 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 4:19 am

gambitx777 wrote:It's not unheard of for young Scrappy teams with an all-star to over achieve. We need to figure out what to do with wall. But I like a young team. Should be interesting to watch

The only thing that is left to figure out is if Beal is all in for the rebuild or not. If he is in then we have to trust the process if not then we need to see what the market is for him
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,255

Post#1912 » by deneem4 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 4:22 am

ktj2477 wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:It's not unheard of for young Scrappy teams with an all-star to over achieve. We need to figure out what to do with wall. But I like a young team. Should be interesting to watch

The only thing that is left to figure out is if Beal is all in for the rebuild or not. If he is in then we have to trust the process if not then we need to see what the market is for him

We’re not in a rebuild and we’re not trading Beal
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1913 » by gambitx777 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 4:25 am

If Beal wants to be here that's half the battle . Starting over from scratch is a lot harder than hitting the house and remodeling . It's not a rebuild if Beal stays it's a remodel

ktj2477
Ballboy

Post#1914 » by ktj2477 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 4:52 am

gambitx777 wrote:If Beal wants to be here that's half the battle . Starting over from scratch is a lot harder than hitting the house and remodeling . It's not a rebuild if Beal stays it's a remodel

My question is how long do you think this remodel is going to be and what make you think Beal is all in for that?
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#1915 » by Illmatic12 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 5:16 am

ktj2477 wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:If Beal wants to be here that's half the battle . Starting over from scratch is a lot harder than hitting the house and remodeling . It's not a rebuild if Beal stays it's a remodel

My question is how long do you think this remodel is going to be and what make you think Beal is all in for that?

We think Beal is in because he said so publicly, and everyone around the team has confirmed that he's been saying the same things to them privately.

By this time next year, if Wall is back healthy and our young players progressed, we will be in decent position to either compete or make a move to get back to competing with the Wall/Beal core. If John's health is looking shaky or it looks like the timeline to be a playoff team is further off than it appears, then Brad might change his mind on his commitment. Which is fine , we would proceed to trade him and get a haul of assets back and then keep it rolling. No harm no foul.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1916 » by gambitx777 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 7:53 am

ktj2477 wrote:

It all depends on what we do with wall and how we keep building over the next couple weeks. Do we take a flyer on a Jake layman or hollis-jefferosn. Do we get Johannes Voigtmann do we get that DPE couple be 2 years could be 4 could be 10 if we **** it up

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#1917 » by payitforward » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:13 pm

deneem4 wrote:
ktj2477 wrote:The only thing that is left to figure out is if Beal is all in for the rebuild or not. If he is in then we have to trust the process if not then we need to see what the market is for him

LOL... c'mon deneem. We have a dozen new players in the building! We have only 5 players on the team from last year. 2 of them are only here because we haven't been able to get rid of them (yet Howard will likely go). No chance either of them will be with the team next year at the very latest.

That's called rebuilding!

At the same time, you are right that we aren't trading Beal.

Where I don't quite agree w/ you KTJ is the phrase "figure out." At present Brad is clearly "in" for the rebuild. He knows what Tommy is doing. Common sense tells you that they let him (& John) know in advance what they had in mind. But... people change their minds. So there's kinda no such thing as all in, or at least that's not something that we can "figure out."

All the more reason to extend him. Likely that's what you mean anyway?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#1918 » by payitforward » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:47 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:...By this time next year, if Wall is back healthy and our young players progressed, we will be in decent position to either compete or make a move to get back to competing with the Wall/Beal core. If John's health is looking shaky or it looks like the timeline to be a playoff team is further off than it appears, then Brad might change his mind on his commitment. Which is fine , we would proceed to trade him and get a haul of assets back and then keep it rolling. No harm no foul.

Compete for what a year from now? To "be a playoff team"? Screw that -- that's the Ernie model.

More than half the teams in the league are "playoff teams" -- competing for that is competing to be average. & anyway it won't happen.

In fact, we haven't done much more than "compete to be average" at any time with "the Wall/Beal core." Our best year depended on a) a career year from Wall, & b) Otto Porter who had at least as good a year as Wall & a better one than Beal. Our 2d best year was a complete outlier, as it was a function of an all-star 1/3 of a season from the late Rasual Butler & a 1-year visit from Paul Pierce (we started that year 19-6; we closed it 27-30).

I hope we want to become a good team -- one that for a nice string of years is reliably in the top 20% of the league. If you think that the Wall/Beal/Porter core was ever there, you're dreaming. In our very best season we had the 9th best record of 30 teams. One year. Big deal.

By the time we've accumulated the players even to get to that point again, John Wall will be at least 31 years old. Assuming an optimal recovery from his current injury -- & assuming no further injuries -- he has a shot to be playing quite well. But it's a stretch, a huge stretch, to imagine that at that point he'll have the significance to the team that he once had or be at the level of Beal.

If Thomas Bryant continues his development at last year's pace & turns himself into one of the best bigs in the league, If Rui Hachimura becomes an outstanding player in two years, if Schofield becomes a solid rotation player, if Robinson & Jones do that too, if Mo Wagner becomes a reliable journeyman, & if we have a really good draft next year, then in 2021-22 (especially if we've had a solid 2021 draft) we should be able to make the playoffs.

More importantly, at that point, we should have a picture of what we still need to do to become one of the top teams in the league & contend for a title.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1919 » by nate33 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:09 pm

payitforward wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:...By this time next year, if Wall is back healthy and our young players progressed, we will be in decent position to either compete or make a move to get back to competing with the Wall/Beal core. If John's health is looking shaky or it looks like the timeline to be a playoff team is further off than it appears, then Brad might change his mind on his commitment. Which is fine , we would proceed to trade him and get a haul of assets back and then keep it rolling. No harm no foul.

Compete for what a year from now? To "be a playoff team"? Screw that -- that's the Ernie model.

More than half the teams in the league are "playoff teams" -- competing for that is competing to be average. & anyway it won't happen.

In fact, we haven't done much more than "compete to be average" at any time with "the Wall/Beal core." Our best year depended on a) a career year from Wall, & b) Otto Porter who had at least as good a year as Wall & a better one than Beal. Our 2d best year was a complete outlier, as it was a function of an all-star 1/3 of a season from the late Rasual Butler & a 1-year visit from Paul Pierce (we started that year 19-6; we closed it 27-30).

I hope we want to become a good team -- one that for a nice string of years is reliably in the top 20% of the league. If you think that the Wall/Beal/Porter core was ever there, you're dreaming. In our very best season we had the 9th best record of 30 teams. One year. Big deal.

By the time we've accumulated the players even to get to that point again, John Wall will be at least 31 years old. Assuming an optimal recovery from his current injury -- & assuming no further injuries -- he has a shot to be playing quite well. But it's a stretch, a huge stretch, to imagine that at that point he'll have the significance to the team that he once had or be at the level of Beal.

If Thomas Bryant continues his development at last year's pace & turns himself into one of the best bigs in the league, If Rui Hachimura becomes an outstanding player in two years, if Schofield becomes a solid rotation player, if Robinson & Jones do that too, if Mo Wagner becomes a reliable journeyman, & if we have a really good draft next year, then in 2021-22 (especially if we've had a solid 2021 draft) we should be able to make the playoffs.

More importantly, at that point, we should have a picture of what we still need to do to become one of the top teams in the league & contend for a title.

Just get better. Every year. That's how you build a winner.

In a way, this Wall injury might be a blessing in disguise. It forces the team to be hypersensitive to the cost/production ratio of every player and every asset. The team has always been too reliant on free agency and trading picks for expensive vets. Finally, they're being forced to develop homegrown talent, and to be very selective in free agency. These are good habits.
ktj2477
Ballboy

Post#1920 » by ktj2477 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:14 pm

payitforward wrote:
deneem4 wrote:
ktj2477 wrote:The only thing that is left to figure out is if Beal is all in for the rebuild or not. If he is in then we have to trust the process if not then we need to see what the market is for him

LOL... c'mon deneem. We have a dozen new players in the building! We have only 5 players on the team from last year. 2 of them are only here because we haven't been able to get rid of them (yet Howard will likely go). No chance either of them will be with the team next year at the very latest.

That's called rebuilding!

At the same time, you are right that we aren't trading Beal.

Where I don't quite agree w/ you KTJ is the phrase "figure out." At present Brad is clearly "in" for the rebuild. He knows what Tommy is doing. Common sense tells you that they let him (& John) know in advance what they had in mind. But... people change their minds. So there's kinda no such thing as all in, or at least that's not something that we can "figure out."

All the more reason to extend him. Likely that's what you mean anyway?

Well the only way we can extend him is if he agrees to the 3 year offer that is "on the table". I would love to keep him but I also understand if he feels that we are not in position to conted for a title. As you stated earlier we have a lot of youth that we have to develop and that is a process. Until Beal agrees to the extension he could be here until his contract is fulfilled

Return to Washington Wizards