ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Maryland Terps Thread 4.0

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

80sballboy
RealGM
Posts: 19,560
And1: 3,902
Joined: Jul 15, 2006
       

Re: Official Maryland Terps Thread 4.0 

Post#921 » by 80sballboy » Mon Jul 5, 2021 7:09 pm

Ruzious wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
Ruzious wrote:That's fine, but what are the rules? If everything's legal, then what's the purpose of regulating it?


NIL means Name, Image, and Likeness. Not to get paid under the table just because Billy Bob wants you to go his school. That will still be illegal. The schools can't pay them. The booster can't pay them directly, but sure, they will be giving them $$$ to endorse their car dealerships or restaurants or whatever. I think it's going to be nuts at first, but somebody will have to regulate it. Not sure the NCAA is the organization for that job right now since they are powerless.

If they can sell their likeness, what's to stop boosters from buying a million t-shirts of 1 player?


Nothing I guess. But if a kid can sell his own t-shirts and he sells over a million on Amazon, good for him/her.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 45,859
And1: 10,100
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Official Maryland Terps Thread 4.0 

Post#922 » by Ruzious » Mon Jul 5, 2021 7:28 pm

80sballboy wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
NIL means Name, Image, and Likeness. Not to get paid under the table just because Billy Bob wants you to go his school. That will still be illegal. The schools can't pay them. The booster can't pay them directly, but sure, they will be giving them $$$ to endorse their car dealerships or restaurants or whatever. I think it's going to be nuts at first, but somebody will have to regulate it. Not sure the NCAA is the organization for that job right now since they are powerless.

If they can sell their likeness, what's to stop boosters from buying a million t-shirts of 1 player?


Nothing I guess. But if a kid can sell his own t-shirts and he sells over a million on Amazon, good for him/her.

You're either not listening or don't care. That's basically a booster paying a guy to go to a particular school. I think that's a huge problem. So far, I haven't heard a solution to it.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
80sballboy
RealGM
Posts: 19,560
And1: 3,902
Joined: Jul 15, 2006
       

Re: Official Maryland Terps Thread 4.0 

Post#923 » by 80sballboy » Mon Jul 5, 2021 8:55 pm

Ruzious wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
Ruzious wrote:If they can sell their likeness, what's to stop boosters from buying a million t-shirts of 1 player?


Nothing I guess. But if a kid can sell his own t-shirts and he sells over a million on Amazon, good for him/her.

You're either not listening or don't care. That's basically a booster paying a guy to go to a particular school. I think that's a huge problem. So far, I haven't heard a solution to it.


I'm listening sir. Sorry, I disappointed you that I'm not in total agreeance with everything you said. Yes, boosters paying a kid directly is a f-ing problem. Do I care? Will that make me not watch college basketball or football? No. It's not my job to clean it up.

So you're basically saying don't let the kids get their money from their likeness because boosters will be paying them millions under the table. Something they probably did to a lesser extent before. Oh no.

Is it going to be a cluster-fck? Of course. What is the transfer portal in college football and basketball?
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 45,859
And1: 10,100
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Official Maryland Terps Thread 4.0 

Post#924 » by Ruzious » Mon Jul 5, 2021 9:02 pm

80sballboy wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
Nothing I guess. But if a kid can sell his own t-shirts and he sells over a million on Amazon, good for him/her.

You're either not listening or don't care. That's basically a booster paying a guy to go to a particular school. I think that's a huge problem. So far, I haven't heard a solution to it.


I'm listening sir. Sorry, I disappointed you that I'm not in total agreeance with everything you said. Yes, boosters paying a kid directly is a f-ing problem. Do I care? Will that make me not watch college basketball or football? No. It's not my job to clean it up.

So you're basically saying don't let the kids get their money from their likeness because boosters will be paying them millions under the table. Something they probably did to a lesser extent before. Oh no.

I didn't mean that as insult. Not caring about that is a view that many people share with you on this issue. Personally, I do care, and I don't want it rationalized away. Hence my comment above. Hopefully, someone comes up with a solution that works for both sides. And how dare you call me sir. :wink:
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 49,360
And1: 7,418
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: Official Maryland Terps Thread 4.0 

Post#925 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Jul 6, 2021 12:08 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
After the Wizards GM really went and did it by having an imaginative, strong, draft day. I totally feel this as well;

AFM wrote:Don't sleep on these white bois. That's all I'm saying.
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 49,360
And1: 7,418
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: Official Maryland Terps Thread 4.0 

Post#926 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Jul 6, 2021 12:11 am

Wiggins must have gotten some assurance he’ll be selected. I’m guessing he’s going to be a two-way contract player.
After the Wizards GM really went and did it by having an imaginative, strong, draft day. I totally feel this as well;

AFM wrote:Don't sleep on these white bois. That's all I'm saying.
Wizardspride
RealGM
Posts: 14,101
And1: 8,450
Joined: Nov 05, 2004
Location: Olney, MD/Kailua/Kaneohe, HI
       

Re: Official Maryland Terps Thread 4.0 

Post#927 » by Wizardspride » Tue Jul 6, 2021 4:15 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 45,859
And1: 10,100
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Official Maryland Terps Thread 4.0 

Post#928 » by Ruzious » Tue Jul 6, 2021 8:53 am

Jalen Smith hasn't had a good rookie season except... he's in the NBA finals. He has played 17 minutes in the playoffs - and because Phoenix has so little size on the bench - he'll probably play a little.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 49,360
And1: 7,418
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: Official Maryland Terps Thread 4.0 

Post#929 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Jul 6, 2021 2:59 pm

I wonder about that, Ruzious. He’s only played in garbage time. Even then his garbage time teammates haven’t looked to pass the ball.

Jalen has had a very disappointing season IMO.
After the Wizards GM really went and did it by having an imaginative, strong, draft day. I totally feel this as well;

AFM wrote:Don't sleep on these white bois. That's all I'm saying.
80sballboy
RealGM
Posts: 19,560
And1: 3,902
Joined: Jul 15, 2006
       

Re: Official Maryland Terps Thread 4.0 

Post#930 » by 80sballboy » Tue Jul 6, 2021 3:40 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19


Not a huge surprise about Wiggins. Was hoping that he'd stay considering the assumption that he might not get drafted. But I guess he's done with school and wants to get paid whether it's overseas or in the G-League. I think Maryland can still be good, but with Wiggins, they could have been top 10.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 45,859
And1: 10,100
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Official Maryland Terps Thread 4.0 

Post#931 » by Ruzious » Tue Jul 6, 2021 6:32 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I wonder about that, Ruzious. He’s only played in garbage time. Even then his garbage time teammates haven’t looked to pass the ball.

Jalen has had a very disappointing season IMO.

I think their only big backup besides him is Frank Kaminsky - who I like - but only got a contract after the exhibition games started. So, they're a smallball team - except for Ayton. I think they start Crowder at PF.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 49,360
And1: 7,418
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: Official Maryland Terps Thread 4.0 

Post#932 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Jul 6, 2021 10:20 pm

I will be very surprised if Jalen Smith plays at all.
After the Wizards GM really went and did it by having an imaginative, strong, draft day. I totally feel this as well;

AFM wrote:Don't sleep on these white bois. That's all I'm saying.
Wizardspride
RealGM
Posts: 14,101
And1: 8,450
Joined: Nov 05, 2004
Location: Olney, MD/Kailua/Kaneohe, HI
       

Re: Official Maryland Terps Thread 4.0 

Post#933 » by Wizardspride » Wed Jul 7, 2021 4:33 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 49,360
And1: 7,418
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: Official Maryland Terps Thread 4.0 

Post#934 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Aug 2, 2021 5:04 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Wiggins must have gotten some assurance he’ll be selected. I’m guessing he’s going to be a two-way contract player.


Ruzious, apparently OKC kept their end of the bargain

Wigs heard his name called in round two. I think I see why.





Right around 2:45-3:00 from the jump Wiggins is the first thing I noticed, the guy playing great defense. Slide and hands and closeout all on point. He can guard PGs through SFs. The good news is he got drafted. The bad news is OKC is loaded in the back court.

Aaron got selected after Josh Giddey (lottery) and Trey Mann (1st round, guaranteed contract regardless).

I don't think he's going to make the roster. :noway:

Three rookies in the backcourt? :nonono:

I'm not as down on the types of contracts, but I think maybe Wiggins will just be a G-League player this season.
After the Wizards GM really went and did it by having an imaginative, strong, draft day. I totally feel this as well;

AFM wrote:Don't sleep on these white bois. That's all I'm saying.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 45,859
And1: 10,100
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Official Maryland Terps Thread 4.0 

Post#935 » by Ruzious » Mon Aug 2, 2021 5:53 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Wiggins must have gotten some assurance he’ll be selected. I’m guessing he’s going to be a two-way contract player.


Ruzious, apparently OKC kept their end of the bargain

Wigs heard his name called in round two. I think I see why.

Right around 2:45-3:00 from the jump Wiggins is the first thing I noticed, the guy playing great defense. Slide and hands and closeout all on point. He can guard PGs through SFs. The good news is he got drafted. The bad news is OKC is loaded in the back court.

Aaron got selected after Josh Giddey (lottery) and Trey Mann (1st round, guaranteed contract regardless).

I don't think he's going to make the roster. :noway:

Three rookies in the backcourt? :nonono:

I'm not as down on the types of contracts, but I think maybe Wiggins will just be a G-League player this season.

Probably has to show he can play some 3 - be multi-positional.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 49,360
And1: 7,418
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: Official Maryland Terps Thread 4.0 

Post#936 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Aug 2, 2021 10:07 am

He’s a better three than Kispert…potentially.

All those dunks in the highlights video ..
After the Wizards GM really went and did it by having an imaginative, strong, draft day. I totally feel this as well;

AFM wrote:Don't sleep on these white bois. That's all I'm saying.
80sballboy
RealGM
Posts: 19,560
And1: 3,902
Joined: Jul 15, 2006
       

Re: Official Maryland Terps Thread 4.0 

Post#937 » by 80sballboy » Mon Aug 2, 2021 7:05 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:He’s a better three than Kispert…potentially.

All those dunks in the highlights video ..


IMO, he never consistently showed that he could be anywhere near as good as Kispert and doesn't have that dawg attitude. Honestly, was a pretty disappointing three years for him aside from some great moments last season. I think his measurements hurt as well. He's 6-5 with shoes and a 6-9 wingspan, which isn't bad. He's also just 190 pounds, while Kispert weighed in at 223 (at 6-7.25). Not sure why after three seasons, Wiggins is only 190 pounds. Kispert posted a 37.5-inch max vertical and Wiggins was 36.

I like Wiggins and I'll be pulling for him as a Md fan. He should be better than Kevin Huerter, but he's not. Huerter also had a very good combine athletically. Maybe it's coaching and Wiggins will be better in the pros. Assuming he'll be playing some in the G-League.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 45,859
And1: 10,100
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Official Maryland Terps Thread 4.0 

Post#938 » by Ruzious » Mon Aug 2, 2021 8:01 pm

Kispert has a chance to be one of the top few shooters in the NBA. He was a stud for the 2nd place team in the nation. I don't think NbA folks expect anything like that from Wiggins.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 49,360
And1: 7,418
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: Official Maryland Terps Thread 4.0 

Post#939 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Aug 3, 2021 10:34 am

80s, I guess Aaron will have to be an NBA SG at his size…which IIRC is around the same as KCPs’ height weight.

Ruz and 80s, I suspect coaching and training and school matters. That said put Wiggins on this season’s Gonzaga. He’s competing in practice against Suggs. Kispert and (UDFA ) Joel Ayayi.
After the Wizards GM really went and did it by having an imaginative, strong, draft day. I totally feel this as well;

AFM wrote:Don't sleep on these white bois. That's all I'm saying.
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 49,360
And1: 7,418
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: Official Maryland Terps Thread 4.0 

Post#940 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Aug 3, 2021 10:36 am

https://247sports.com/college/maryland/Article/Former-Maryland-basketball-star-Bruno-Fernando-traded-Atlanta-Hawks-Boston-Cletics-168535964/

Bruno Fernando gets second chance with the Celtics! I was pretty sure he was going to be out of the league soon. Now I think BF has a chance. Why? Because he rebounds his butt off.

That guy can earn a long-term deal playing against the opponents of Jaylen Brown and Jason Tatum. I can see Bruno Fernando becoming a really good Celtic.
After the Wizards GM really went and did it by having an imaginative, strong, draft day. I totally feel this as well;

AFM wrote:Don't sleep on these white bois. That's all I'm saying.

Return to Washington Wizards