nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,346

Re: Sam Dekker 

Post#21 » by nate33 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:33 pm

payitforward wrote:
truwizfan4evr wrote:
Eli Babak wrote:Dekker played surprisingly well yesterday but it's just one game. Let's hope he keeps up the good work!

He's going be very valuable off the bench. He plays hard and players like him can make a impact with his activity's.

The Wizards have declined to give Sam Dekker a qualifying offer, even though he averaged 29 points & 16 boards per 36 minutes.

I fear we may lose him. Your thoughts?

I think he's gone.

I would have liked to keep him around as an 11th man "energy guy" who hustles and who has a small chance of honing his 3-point shot and actually becoming a rotation player. But with so many young prospects on the roster, I just don't think there are roster spots and minutes available for Dekker. Even if he ends up playing for the vet minimum, I think he'll chose to do so on a different team where he has more of an opportunity.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#22 » by payitforward » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:44 pm

Oh, I think it's fair to say that Sam is gone.... I'll be interested to see if someone picks him up & at what salary.

I'm waiting for an opportunity to describe someon as "better than Jabari Parker but not as good as Sam Dekker." :)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#23 » by DCZards » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:29 am

Sam was an immediate hit with me when the Zards traded for him. High energy, high IQ guy who made plays with his hustle and length. But it became apparent that Sam was not really all that skilled a basketball player. His hustle and IQ was only going take him but so far.

Sam wasn't very productive when he got quality minutes the last few games of the season. It was a missed opportunity for him. He'll likely sign for the vet minimum.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#24 » by payitforward » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:00 pm

I read he was having back problems towards the end of the season -- might explain the fall off in his play.

In any case, he's in the rear view mirror at this point. Whether it's vet minimum or a bit more, I hope he catches on somewhere, is healthy, & shows something. Definitely seemed like a good guy.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,013

Post#25 » by dckingsfan » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:25 pm

If I were Dekker, I would be working on my shooting. I think if he could stay lean he could guard SFs in the L. But without a 3 point shot, he needs to play PF.

I think he is kind of a tweener in that regard. He doesn't really rebound or rim protect like you need from a PF.
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#26 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:48 pm

nate33 wrote:
payitforward wrote:
truwizfan4evr wrote:He's going be very valuable off the bench. He plays hard and players like him can make a impact with his activity's.

The Wizards have declined to give Sam Dekker a qualifying offer, even though he averaged 29 points & 16 boards per 36 minutes.

I fear we may lose him. Your thoughts?

I think he's gone.

I would have liked to keep him around as an 11th man "energy guy" who hustles and who has a small chance of honing his 3-point shot and actually becoming a rotation player. But with so many young prospects on the roster, I just don't think there are roster spots and minutes available for Dekker. Even if he ends up playing for the vet minimum, I think he'll chose to do so on a different team where he has more of an opportunity.

Naw, I'll take Jemerrio Jones over Dekker every day of the week.

Dekker is the exact type of guy that the Wizards in the past would keep around for way too long, because he seems like a nice guy, with energy, but really nothing else.

Someone asked me how the Wizards could turn things around, with limited financial wiggle room, and I told them that part of that was bringing in complementary players, and cutting bait with guys who don't really affect the bottom line...Sam Dekker is one of the guys I had in mind.

Sheppard is making the right moves: extending Bobby Portis an offer as a potential backup, keeping in touch with Jabari Parker for the same reason, while not bringing back guys like Dekker and Chasson Randle.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#27 » by Illmatic12 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:16 pm

If Dekker can’t shoot threes there’s no reason to consider bringing him back.

He needs to prove he can consistently space the floor to earn an NBA rotation spot

Return to Washington Wizards