John Wall OUT for 12 months; Ruptured Achilles

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Re: John Wall OUT for 12 months; Ruptured Achilles 

Post#301 » by nate33 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:35 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:Assuming Wall is physically cleared to play soon , I only see one downside of him playing - Washington cannot collect on the insurance policy for Wall’s ‘19-20 salary unless he misses 41 or more games. If that wasn’t a factor I bet they would have announced his return date already.

Bingo! We have a winner.

Wall will sit out 41 games minimum. Which means he'll probably back near the end of January.

Now THAT makes plenty of sense to me, even if Wall is sort of ready to play right now. It will ensure the tank. It will save Ted $20M, and it gives Wall a few extra months to heal just to be sure that there are no issues.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#302 » by Illmatic12 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:55 pm

nate33 wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:Assuming Wall is physically cleared to play soon , I only see one downside of him playing - Washington cannot collect on the insurance policy for Wall’s ‘19-20 salary unless he misses 41 or more games. If that wasn’t a factor I bet they would have announced his return date already.

Bingo! We have a winner.

Wall will sit out 41 games minimum. Which means he'll probably back near the end of January.

Now THAT makes plenty of sense to me, even if Wall is sort of ready to play right now. It will ensure the tank. It will save Ted $20M, and it gives Wall a few extra months to heal just to be sure that there are no issues.

Yep.

And I assume the team will continue to be purposely obtuse about his recovery status until the insurance policy cashes, because they probably don’t want to make it too obvious that there’s a financial motive at play.

Not that I blame Ted (that’s a lot of frickin money!) but it’s not good PR to openly say we’re holding our franchise player out to save $$$
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,561

Post#303 » by pcbothwel » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:21 pm

nate33 wrote:

Bingo! We have a winner.

Trade Deadline is 2/7... Game 50 for us. Seems about right.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Post#304 » by payitforward » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:27 am

pcbothwel wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Bingo! We have a winner.

Seems like Ted ought to share some of that windfall with John, who is definitely getting short of $$$.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#305 » by Illmatic12 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:14 am

payitforward wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:
nate33 wrote:Bingo! We have a winner.

Seems like Ted ought to share some of that windfall with John, who is definitely getting short of $$$.

I'm thinking it'll go towards brand new urinal cakes :D
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#306 » by Dat2U » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:22 am

I'd say definitely play this season. Starting game 42 or whatever. Strict minutes limit. I'd honestly top it at 24 a night and no back to backs period.

In fact, for the rest of his time in DC, I'd have his minutes capped around 32 a night and have him avoid playing back to backs to avoid additional wear and tear and hopefully get max effort out of those 32 minutes.

Of course Brooks, when he gets the first opportunity will play him 42 minutes!
likwitdesi
Starter
And1: 60

Post#307 » by likwitdesi » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:38 pm

Taking a deeper look at all the teams in the East for the first time, this actually may be a year to get Wall back and make a push for the playoffs. It really just hit me how weak the East is this year. If you need to, you could move some of these young guys for a 3rd star.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#308 » by gambitx777 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:06 pm

That would be the absolute worst thing to do.
likwitdesi wrote:Taking a deeper look at all the teams in the East for the first time, this actually may be a year to get Wall back and make a push for the playoffs. It really just hit me how weak the East is this year. If you need to, you could move some of these young guys for a 3rd star.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#309 » by FAH1223 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:55 pm

gambitx777 wrote:That would be the absolute worst thing to do.
likwitdesi wrote:Taking a deeper look at all the teams in the East for the first time, this actually may be a year to get Wall back and make a push for the playoffs. It really just hit me how weak the East is this year. If you need to, you could move some of these young guys for a 3rd star.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app

Yup. You ain't going anywhere with a historically bad defense.

Wall should play for the simple fact he needs live game action to get his confidence back.

I think a February return date looks increasingly likely. Ted saves $20M on top of that.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#310 » by nate33 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:19 am

If they want to make a push for the playoffs by bringing Wall back, that's fine with me. But they should absolutely, under no circumstances, move a young guy for a 3rd star. Any "star" we could get with our young assets isn't going to be good enough to make this team a contender. It's short term thinking like that that explains why the team hasn't won 50 games in 40 years. They always try to make the "big move" too early and end up with a team that makes a 3-5 year run as a 45 win team before falling back to the lottery.

How many times to we need to make that mistake?

#6 pick for Mike Miller
#5 pick for Antawn Jamison
Ben Wallace for Ike Austin
Chris Webber for Mitch Richmond
Rasheed Wallace for Rod Strickland
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,857

Post#311 » by Wizardspride » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:58 pm

nate33 wrote:

If they want to make a push for the playoffs by bringing Wall back, that's fine with me. But they should absolutely, under no circumstances, move a young guy for a 3rd star. Any "star" we could get with our young assets isn't going to be good enough to make this team a contender. It's short term thinking like that that explains why the team hasn't won 50 games in 40 years. They always try to make the "big move" too early and end up with a team that makes a 3-5 year run as a 45 win team before falling back to the lottery.

#6 pick for Mike Miller

In complete agreement...EXCEPT for the #5 pick for Jamison.

I thought that was a very good trade at the time and I still think so.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#312 » by mhd » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:03 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
nate33 wrote:

#6 pick for Mike Miller

Ah, the year of ABC (Anybody but Childress). I wanted Iggy that year, and would have settled for Deng. Both would have been far better for the team instead of Jamison.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,857

Post#313 » by Wizardspride » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:21 pm

mhd wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
nate33 wrote:If they want to make a push for the playoffs by bringing Wall back, that's fine with me. But they should absolutely, under no circumstances, move a young guy for a 3rd star. Any "star" we could get with our young assets isn't going to be good enough to make this team a contender. It's short term thinking like that that explains why the team hasn't won 50 games in 40 years. They always try to make the "big move" too early and end up with a team that makes a 3-5 year run as a 45 win team before falling back to the lottery.

#6 pick for Mike Miller

Ah, the year of ABC (Anybody but Childress). I wanted Iggy that year, and would have settled for Deng. Both would have been far better for the team instead of Jamison.

I guess.

It was a pretty underwhelming draft.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#314 » by LyricalRico » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:41 pm

The Washington Wizards have yet to make a decision on whether John Wall will miss the entire 19-20 season.

Wall is recovering from a torn Achilles suffered last January.

“It’s not like we’re shutting him down and focusing on the 20-21 season," said Scott Brooks.

"It’s going to happen organically. What I like is what he’s doing, he’s getting after every workout.”

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/256531/Wizards-Have-Yet-To-Make-Decision-On-John-Wall-Returning-This-Season

Almost a year on from the injury (somehow it feels like it doesn't feel like that long ago to me) and the "Wall might play this year" talk has officially begun. Are we buying that Wall hasn't been shutdown until 2020-21? Or is this just something to try to keep folks interested?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#315 » by nate33 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:53 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
The Washington Wizards have yet to make a decision on whether John Wall will miss the entire 19-20 season.

“It’s not like we’re shutting him down and focusing on the 20-21 season," said Scott Brooks.

"It’s going to happen organically. What I like is what he’s doing, he’s getting after every workout.”

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/256531/Wizards-Have-Yet-To-Make-Decision-On-John-Wall-Returning-This-Season

Almost a year on from the injury (somehow it feels like it doesn't feel like that long ago to me) and the "Wall might play this year" talk has officially begun. Are we buying that Wall hasn't been shutdown until 2020-21? Or is this just something to try to keep folks interested?

I think the "he's not playing this season" talk was an effort to get the injury exception.

Now that we know he's not getting the injury exception, there's no reason to maintain the ruse that he can't play. I think they are sincere in letting Wall play this season if the medical staff gives the okay. I, for one, would like to see him play the last 15-20 games of the season if possible so that he can work off 18 months of rust and hopefully develop some chemistry with this roster.

EDIT:
He won't play until after the 41st game of the season though. He needs to sit out half a season for the insurance money to be released.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#316 » by Ruzious » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:58 pm

nate33 wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:

I think the "he's not playing this season" talk was an effort to get the injury exception.

Now that we know he's not getting the injury exception, there's no reason to maintain the ruse that he can't play. I think they are sincere in letting Wall play this season if the medical staff gives the okay. I, for one, would like to see him play the last 15-20 games of the season if possible so that he can work off 18 months of rust and hopefully develop some chemistry with this roster.

And it'd be nice to see if he has his speed, quickness, agility, and explosiveness back - and how his 3 point shooting looks.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,561

Post#317 » by pcbothwel » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:11 pm

Not worried about the physical part...
Read on Twitter

I want him bullying his way to the rim like Beal is doing and hit open 3's. That, along with a little more effort on defense and he'll be fine.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#318 » by LyricalRico » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:58 pm

Ruzious wrote:And it'd be nice to see if he has his speed, quickness, agility, and explosiveness back - and how his 3 point shooting looks.

Of course the alternative is that he shows that he doesn't have some or all of those things anymore, and we kill whatever trade market their might have been if we'd kept it a mystery. But I guess knowing is better than not knowing.
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#319 » by Illmatic12 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:58 pm

LOL no team would even consider trading for Wall regardless without first seeing him on the court . You can't just hide a guy for 18 months then try to trade him coming off of a serious injury.

I believe the team wants & needs to see Wall play this year, not so they can trade him but so they have enough information to map out their future. If he doesn't look good , maybe you consider taking a guard in the draft as insurance. If he looks strong & healthy then you feel more comfortable exploring other possibilities. Also if Wall shows positive flashes that can be used as a selling point to FAs (for instance Bertans agent brought up Wall's return as a reason why Davis was excited to stay in DC), as well as a selling point for season ticket holders = $$$
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#320 » by Illmatic12 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:26 pm

Anyways count me in the camp that thinks John will be mostly fine physically. Of course not like his peak years , when he was at his peak no one was faster than him. Now I'm sure younger guys like De'Aaron Fox, Morant etc have taken that mantle but Wall will still be one of the top explosive PGs especially combined with his size+strength+ballhandling.

I am more curious about what his offensive playstyle will be like. I think that instead of being a primary PnR ballhandler Wall will have to adjust as the secondary guy next to Beal, meaning he will wait on the weakside for Brad to swing it to him and then make a quick decision. He will need to hone his catch & shoot three from above the break.

Interestingly saw a recent video of him shooting and it looks like he has changed his jumpshot mechanics for the better. His shooting motion looks much more compact now , and it's an "elastic" motion that snaps off the wrist as opposed to in the past looking like he is pushing the ball and aiming it.

Return to Washington Wizards