Political Roundtable Part XXV

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXV 

Post#1841 » by pancakes3 » Thu May 23, 2019 7:20 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:you're equating MS13 members with being undocumented immigrants, and also equating all undocumented immigrants as MS13. you also assume that ICE is the only law enforcement agency capable of deportation.

MS13 is not a new gang, or an especially violent gang compared to other gangs. it's only gaining notoriety because they're a hispanic gang, and fits the political narrative that hispanic immigrants bring crime into our otherwise peaceful country.

it detracts attention from actual drivers of violent crime: poverty, access to guns, and income/social inequality.

I'm not equating all undocumented folks as MS13 at all, thats what Democrats do to counter any argument or concern the right side (pun intended) tries to make. WHatever the number, these punk kids that murder ppl like its a game should have never been here, and if we can kick their butts back, why wouldnt we?

So poverty and income disparities, is that a rationale now to be a criminal? So lets help ppl so they dont commit crimes? Give them incentive to just be a decent human being?

When you say "if we can kick their butts back, why wouldnt we?" you're asserting that deportation is a solution for gang violence. That assumes that:
- MS13 is the source of crime, not gang violence at large
- That deportation will affect MS13 when in fact, there are legal immigrants and U.S. citizens who are MS13 gang members.
- That when we kick "their" butts back, it lumps in non-MS13 members with MS13 members, you don't really care who gets tossed back, equating undocumented immigrants as MS13 threats.

And yes, poverty and income/social disparities is a rationale of how human beings become criminals. If we can help those people to stop committing crimes, why wouldn't we?

For someone who's very concerned about the rights of the unborn, you seem callously indifferent to what happens to those unborn after they exit the womb. When that baby enters a world filled with poverty, discrimination, and inequality, that baby, through no fault of its own, is more likely to be a criminal than a baby, through no merit of its own, is born into a world of wealth, resources, and privilege. Striving for an equal playing field for these babies is fundamentally, the American dream.

Allow me to pose a hypothetical that points out that your simplistic view of how laws work, is inadequate.

If the two of us were sitting in a room with a cookie on the table, and the voice of God comes down and says "Do not eat that cookie," it seems very cut and dry that if you eat that cookie, you would be breaking the law, with corresponding consequences. However, if you add real world considerations that muddy the waters, it becomes much less cut and dry. If you were poor, starving, and possess a genetic predisposition to be addicted to cookies, and I was born rich, well fed, and allergic to cookies, the cookie law affects the both of us in drastically different ways. Moreover, what if the law of cookies didn't come from God, but rather it was a law that I had proposed to your protest, but because of my wealth and privilege, it was codified regardless. What if the punishment for eating that cookie was disproportionately draconian? What if I locked you up for five years for just possessing that cookie, leaving your hypothetical children similarly poor and starving for cookies, dooming a whole generation of people to be dramatically more at risk of cookie-eating? And all the while, I'm sitting in my corner of the room, eating cake, and shaking my head at you and your family of cookie-eating junkies who just can't seem to help themselves to break the law?

it's incredibly f*cked, and a puzzling stance for someone who claims to be a Christian.
Bullets -> Wizards
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,015

Post#1842 » by dckingsfan » Thu May 23, 2019 7:40 pm

Wait, what! The HOF cookie analogy!
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,687

Post#1843 » by Pointgod » Thu May 23, 2019 10:11 pm

TGW wrote:
I_Like_Dirt wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:So poverty and income disparities, is that a rationale now to be a criminal? So lets help ppl so they dont commit crimes? Give them incentive to just be a decent human being?

I mean, that's basically the foundation of the American dream, after all. That a person can fulfill their potential if they take advantage opportunities and succeed and build a wonderful life for themselves. This isn't about handouts. It's about opportunities and removing barriers that are constantly put in place to prevent people from seizing them. This isn't a situation of simple good vs bad. That's almost never actually the case despite the fact that history tends to paint it that way repeatedly because the victors love to write history that way.

According to daoneandonly, rich people are morally good because they don't break the law, and poor people commit crimes because they're evil.

only in the United States does someone have a ridiculous view like that.

It’s not exclusive to the US but it’s a view that I’d argue it’s almost exclusively found in right wing ideology worldwide.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#1844 » by JWizmentality » Thu May 23, 2019 10:40 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:you're equating MS13 members with being undocumented immigrants, and also equating all undocumented immigrants as MS13. you also assume that ICE is the only law enforcement agency capable of deportation.

MS13 is not a new gang, or an especially violent gang compared to other gangs. it's only gaining notoriety because they're a hispanic gang, and fits the political narrative that hispanic immigrants bring crime into our otherwise peaceful country.

it detracts attention from actual drivers of violent crime: poverty, access to guns, and income/social inequality.

I'm not equating all undocumented folks as MS13 at all, thats what Democrats do to counter any argument or concern the right side (pun intended) tries to make. WHatever the number, these punk kids that murder ppl like its a game should have never been here, and if we can kick their butts back, why wouldnt we?

So poverty and income disparities, is that a rationale now to be a criminal? So lets help ppl so they dont commit crimes? Give them incentive to just be a decent human being?

When you say "if we can kick their butts back, why wouldnt we?" you're asserting that deportation is a solution for gang violence. That assumes that:
- That deportation will affect MS13 when in fact, there are legal immigrants and U.S. citizens who are MS13 gang members.
- That when we kick "their" butts back, it lumps in non-MS13 members with MS13 members, you don't really care who gets tossed back, equating undocumented immigrants as MS13 threats.

And yes, poverty and income/social disparities is a rationale of how human beings become criminals. If we can help those people to stop committing crimes, why wouldn't we?

For someone who's very concerned about the rights of the unborn, you seem callously indifferent to what happens to those unborn after they exit the womb. When that baby enters a world filled with poverty, discrimination, and inequality, that baby, through no fault of its own, is more likely to be a criminal than a baby, through no merit of its own, is born into a world of wealth, resources, and privilege. Striving for an equal playing field for these babies is fundamentally, the American dream.

Allow me to pose a hypothetical that points out that your simplistic view of how laws work, is inadequate.

If the two of us were sitting in a room with a cookie on the table, and the voice of God comes down and says "Do not eat that cookie," it seems very cut and dry that if you eat that cookie, you would be breaking the law, with corresponding consequences. However, if you add real world considerations that muddy the waters, it becomes much less cut and dry. If you were poor, starving, and possess a genetic predisposition to be addicted to cookies, and I was born rich, well fed, and allergic to cookies, the cookie law affects the both of us in drastically different ways. Moreover, what if the law of cookies didn't come from God, but rather it was a law that I had proposed to your protest, but because of my wealth and privilege, it was codified regardless. What if the punishment for eating that cookie was disproportionately draconian? What if I locked you up for five years for just possessing that cookie, leaving your hypothetical children similarly poor and starving for cookies, dooming a whole generation of people to be dramatically more at risk of cookie-eating? And all the while, I'm sitting in my corner of the room, eating cake, and shaking my head at you and your family of cookie-eating junkies who just can't seem to help themselves to break the law?

it's incredibly f*cked, and a puzzling stance for someone who claims to be a Christian.

A lot of Christians are going to be surprised how hot it is in Heaven. :roll:

AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,162

Post#1845 » by AFM » Thu May 23, 2019 10:53 pm

TGW wrote:
I_Like_Dirt wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:So poverty and income disparities, is that a rationale now to be a criminal? So lets help ppl so they dont commit crimes? Give them incentive to just be a decent human being?

I mean, that's basically the foundation of the American dream, after all. That a person can fulfill their potential if they take advantage opportunities and succeed and build a wonderful life for themselves. This isn't about handouts. It's about opportunities and removing barriers that are constantly put in place to prevent people from seizing them. This isn't a situation of simple good vs bad. That's almost never actually the case despite the fact that history tends to paint it that way repeatedly because the victors love to write history that way.

According to daoneandonly, rich people are morally good because they don't break the law, and poor people commit crimes because they're evil.

This is in the declaration of independence. As american as apple pie.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,162

Post#1846 » by AFM » Thu May 23, 2019 10:54 pm

Has Trump kicked out the beaners yet? I still hear Bachata music every time I open my window.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Post#1847 » by verbal8 » Thu May 23, 2019 11:58 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
Pointgod wrote:I feel like all this outrage about Pelosi is sooo short sighted. Clearly part of the left that’s reactionary. I could be wrong but I believe Pelosi is playing the long game here because moving towards impeachment is an inevitability. Dems want it, Trump wants it but I don’t think it’s going to be the political win that’s Trump thinks.

Yep, she is maneuvering the ship through the narrow channel. And Trump keeps slamming his ship into the walls.

And her recent maneuverings have dropped Trump's approval rating a full 1%.

Nicely done Ms. Pelosi.

Whenever Pelosi and Trump battle he loses. I can't see things ending without him resigning or being impeached(removal seems unlikely - but who knows).

One thing is when Pelosi increases the pressure on Trump, without impeaching him I think it increases the chances that he resigns.
popper
Veteran
And1: 366

Re: Political Roundtable Part XX 

Post#1848 » by popper » Fri May 24, 2019 3:08 am

Pointgod wrote:
TGW wrote:
I_Like_Dirt wrote:

It’s not exclusive to the US but it’s a view that I’d argue it’s almost exclusively found in right wing ideology worldwide.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,039

Post#1849 » by daoneandonly » Fri May 24, 2019 12:23 pm

TGW wrote:
I_Like_Dirt wrote:

Actually no i don't. As mentioned many times, I'm from 3rd world India, so dont come at me with your left wing garbage

My issue is the constant blame of crime being the result of disadvantages, unfair treatment, harsh penalties, rather than just speaking the truth, that some are just inherently bad, lack any kind of conscience or regard for right/wrong. its why we have such a high percentage of ppl here who think prisoners should vote

its not about money, criminals rich or poor are just that, criminals. Why dont we focus on the good upstanding citizens and stop making excuses for them? Because as with abortion, and immunity for all illegal immigrants, democrats have no concept of accountability.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#1850 » by daoneandonly » Fri May 24, 2019 12:34 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Kick their butts back, as in these specific pieces of trash who kill other humans. I'm not talking about every Latino, that is ridiculous, racist, disgusting, and wrong. Thats the picture the elft tries to paint about the right to make one side looks better and more caring. But specifically MS13 gang members, or if there's a similar gang of folks from India, China, Jamaica, Albania, Ireland, etc, wherever, and they arent here legally, what rationale is there to allow them to stay? None, get them the heck out

If we should help ppl to stop committing crimes? Are you talking preventive? If so, what do you propose? If not, that's what I dont get, why cant they just I dont know, not commit crimes and be a decent human? Rich or poor, whatever race or religion, not about any of that.

And I had to stop with the story after you mentioned the predisposition, becomes there's the cop out of all cop outs to drug use. people are predispositioned to be addicts rather than simply saying No and refraining
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#1851 » by Pointgod » Fri May 24, 2019 12:44 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
TGW wrote:
I_Like_Dirt wrote:

Actually no i don't. As mentioned many times, I'm from 3rd world India, so dont come at me with your left wing garbage

My issue is the constant blame of crime being the result of disadvantages, unfair treatment, harsh penalties, rather than just speaking the truth, that some are just inherently bad, lack any kind of conscience or regard for right/wrong. its why we have such a high percentage of ppl here who think prisoners should vote

its not about money, criminals rich or poor are just that, criminals. Why dont we focus on the good upstanding citizens and stop making excuses for them? Because as with abortion, and immunity for all illegal immigrants, democrats have no concept of accountability.

Speaking of accountability. I think we’ve found the solution to the abortion debate. Mandatory vasectomies for all males. You can pretty much reduce abortions to near zero. Not my idea but a pretty common sense solution.

https://www.designmom.com/twitter-thread-abortion/
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#1852 » by Pointgod » Fri May 24, 2019 12:46 pm

verbal8 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
Pointgod wrote:I feel like all this outrage about Pelosi is sooo short sighted. Clearly part of the left that’s reactionary. I could be wrong but I believe Pelosi is playing the long game here because moving towards impeachment is an inevitability. Dems want it, Trump wants it but I don’t think it’s going to be the political win that’s Trump thinks.

Yep, she is maneuvering the ship through the narrow channel. And Trump keeps slamming his ship into the walls.

And her recent maneuverings have dropped Trump's approval rating a full 1%.

Nicely done Ms. Pelosi.

Whenever Pelosi and Trump battle he loses. I can't see things ending without him resigning or being impeached(removal seems unlikely - but who knows).

One thing is when Pelosi increases the pressure on Trump, without impeaching him I think it increases the chances that he resigns.

Trump is not going to resign. People need to acknowledge that the only thing keeping him from being indicted is the fact that he’s President. His only option is relection and to run out the clock.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#1853 » by daoneandonly » Fri May 24, 2019 12:56 pm

Pointgod wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
TGW wrote:

Speaking of accountability. I think we’ve found the solution to the abortion debate. Mandatory vasectomies for all males. You can pretty much reduce abortions to near zero. Not my idea but a pretty common sense solution.

Actually the solution is to do close to what Alabama is doing, its not completely flawless, but far better than what we have now. An abortion registry is also something better than what's posted above, you want to have an abortion, then own it, let the world know you killed your child so if a guy is potentially interested, at least he'd know what he was getting into and that his kid may be in danger if conceived. And if the guy pushed for the abortion or agreed to it, he too should be on it

And to the guys who felt the need to call out faith and Christianity, again not about that. Abortion isnt a Christian issue, its a moral issue, killing a child should be wrong no matter what you believe spiritually. I dont mention same sex marriage, because its not about my faith and there's no victim on that social issue, whereas the other one clearly has one. Yet most on here care more about criminals, addicts, etc than an actual baby who's done no wrong.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1854 » by dckingsfan » Fri May 24, 2019 1:01 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Actually the solution is to do close to what Alabama is doing, its not completely flawless, but far better than what we have now. An abortion registry is also something better than what's posted above, you want to have an abortion, then own it, let the world know you killed your child so if a guy is potentially interested, at least he'd know what he was getting into and that his kid may be in danger if conceived. And if the guy pushed for the abortion or agreed to it, he too should be on it

And to the guys who felt the need to call out faith and Christianity, again not about that. Abortion isnt a Christian issue, its a moral issue, killing a child should be wrong no matter what you believe spiritually. I dont mention same sex marriage, because its not about my faith and there's no victim on that social issue, whereas the other one clearly has one. Yet most on here care more about criminals, addicts, etc than an actual baby who's done no wrong.

I like Pointgod's solution better... vasectomies at birth for all males - they are easily reversible in most cases. Then all of this goes away.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#1855 » by daoneandonly » Fri May 24, 2019 2:57 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Pointgod wrote:

I like Pointgod's solution better... vasectomies at birth for all males - they are easily reversible in most cases. Then all of this goes away.

I guess it also sidetracks from the lack of accountability issue the Dems constantly fight for
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1856 » by dckingsfan » Fri May 24, 2019 3:41 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:Actually the solution is to do close to what Alabama is doing, its not completely flawless, but far better than what we have now. An abortion registry is also something better than what's posted above, you want to have an abortion, then own it, let the world know you killed your child so if a guy is potentially interested, at least he'd know what he was getting into and that his kid may be in danger if conceived. And if the guy pushed for the abortion or agreed to it, he too should be on it

I guess it also sidetracks from the lack of accountability issue the Dems constantly fight for

It is really win/win. The abortions would go down many orders of magnitude. Both sides could then move on to the other issues of the day.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#1857 » by daoneandonly » Fri May 24, 2019 3:46 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:I like Pointgod's solution better... vasectomies at birth for all males - they are easily reversible in most cases. Then all of this goes away.

It is really win/win. The abortions would go down many orders of magnitude. Both sides could then move on to the other issues of the day.

It's actually the Democrats/left pitching a fit and crying over the Alabama ruling and making it seem like some social injustice that needs to be constantly reported via the liberal media.

Good on Ala for protecting the life of a child

So I ask you all again, what makes a prisoner who many of you were defending, or let's say a good upstanding citizen who is dealing with hard financial times, what makes them more important or their life more valuable than a baby? I swear there's ppl who care more about how global warming impacts fish and polar bears than a little baby having a chance at life.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#1858 » by Wizardspride » Fri May 24, 2019 4:03 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1859 » by dckingsfan » Fri May 24, 2019 4:51 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:I guess it also sidetracks from the lack of accountability issue the Dems constantly fight for

It's actually the Democrats/left pitching a fit and crying over the Alabama ruling and making it seem like some social injustice that needs to be constantly reported via the liberal media.

Good on Ala for protecting the life of a child

So I ask you all again, what makes a prisoner who many of you were defending, or let's say a good upstanding citizen who is dealing with hard financial times, what makes them more important or their life more valuable than a baby? I swear there's ppl who care more about how global warming impacts fish and polar bears than a little baby having a chance at life.

Let us take this one step at a time. Let us first assume you are right and all babies deserve a chance at life. Now we move to the remedy phase.

We would make abortions illegal. And the definition of something being illegal is that their are legal remedies - namely jail time. So, we know have the issue of jailing doctors and jailing woman who were pregnant (not something you have advocated but it has been advocated and done in the past. Have we not learned from the failed war on drugs and on prohibition?

And now that it is easy to get RU486 - we would need to make those drugs illegal. And women who use the drugs need to be helped by physicians afterward with care. More jail time.

The problem isn't with your argument about if abortion is wrong or tragic. Your problem is with the remedy.

Instead of making abortions "illegal", you should be looking at how to reduce abortions. First, destigmatize motherhood. Second, provide a living wage for the mother. Third, provide free healthcare and education for the baby. If you do those things the abortion rates would fall dramatically.

What has been also offered is a DNA test on all men and a vasectomy on male children. That would help us make sure that there was additional support for the child and would also reduce abortions by several orders of magnitude.
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#1860 » by Pointgod » Fri May 24, 2019 5:33 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Make vasectomies from birth is actually a much better solution. Why are you so against holding men accountable? It’s probably because you’d rather punish women than actually address a problem, pretty much par the course for the GOP playbook. Cruelty is the point. Please tell me what’s wrong with the idea of vasectomies for males which are way more safe than child birth and are not only effective but reversible. Tell me why this wouldn’t work?

Return to Washington Wizards