ImageImageImageImageImage

All things Bobby "Crazy Eyes" Portis Thread.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,362

All things Bobby "Crazy Eyes" Portis Thread. 

Post#1 » by doclinkin » Sat Feb 9, 2019 1:38 pm

Hey Bobby, nice to meet you.

Many fans were hoping we drafted you with our pick that we spent on Kelly Oubre. The combination of your energy, effort, and bit of a face up game to go with your general tough affect in the scrum meant that we thought we could add you as the young high energy ranged 4 that we have needed.

Pay no mind to those who will forever compare you with the cool calm efficient multi skilled player you were traded for. Fans will fan. But if you go all out and give us fire and scoring then you will earn fans among those who feel like the team needed an infusion of energy at a time of low hope and frustration.

Yes defense matters, but if this year you simply stay hype and worry about the offensive end, we'd be gratified to both score high totals and risk losing a the other end. Win win since if we lose sufficiently we can both add a high talent teammate for you in the lottery, and also maybe qualify to trim some deadwood in the front office. So, we can talk about defense in the offseason, for now just do what you do. Cool? Cool.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Re: All things Bobby "Crazy Eyes" Portis Thread. 

Post#2 » by Wizardspride » Sat Feb 9, 2019 1:49 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#3 » by JWizmentality » Sat Feb 9, 2019 1:52 pm

Would like to keep them both around and bring in a high draft pick. Just don't see how we can afford it.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#4 » by Dark Faze » Sat Feb 9, 2019 2:07 pm

is it possible to decline a team option for a player and negotiate a new salary? only way we can keep Jabari
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#5 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sat Feb 9, 2019 2:10 pm

I gotta say, I was incredibly and pleasantly surprised by Parker. I’m guessing his energy and hustle were just first game anomalies... but man, he played fast and showed incredible passing ability and rebounding ‘want to.’
In Rizzo we trust
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#6 » by nate33 » Sat Feb 9, 2019 2:12 pm

Dark Faze wrote:is it possible to decline a team option for a player and negotiate a new salary? only way we can keep Jabari

Yes.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#7 » by nate33 » Sat Feb 9, 2019 2:25 pm

JWizmentality wrote:Would like to keep them both around and bring in a high draft pick. Just don't see how we can afford it.

I'm going to wait 30 games before making any rash judgements. Certainly, both of them looked fantastic last night, but it's just one game.

With Portis, he's a RFA and the team has Bird Rights, so they can just see what the market thinks he's worth and decide to match or not. Their only obstacle is the luxury tax.

With Parker, he's not a restricted free agent, but the Wizards have non-Bird rights. That means, they have a cap exception to sign him for up to 120% of his current salary, which would be as high as $24M. They also have a team option to retain him at $20M, but that must be exercised before free agency starts in July. I expect the team to renounce his team option and then attempt to retain him at a lower price using non-Bird rights. But they won't have the right to match another offer and force him to stay. The question is, what is the market for him? Can we count on Ernie to accurate assess the market and retain him at a reasonable price?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#8 » by Ruzious » Sat Feb 9, 2019 2:44 pm

I believe Portis' middle name is Dudecanshoot.

People getting excited about Parker... don't. He is a worse defender than Portis... let that sink in... ok. He also doesn't shoot as well. He also doesn't rebound as well. He also has worse intangibles - which he displayed by heaving the ball downcourt after getting called for a foul when the score was close and somehow didn't get called for a T. He also doesn't have a position - too slow to play 3 and gives up too many offensive boards at the 4.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,362

Post#9 » by doclinkin » Sat Feb 9, 2019 3:05 pm

Ruzious wrote:
People getting excited about Parker... don't. He is a worse defender than Portis... let that sink in... ok. He also doesn't shoot as well. He also doesn't rebound as well. He also has worse intangibles - which he displayed by heaving the ball downcourt after getting called for a foul when the score was close and somehow didn't get called for a T. He also doesn't have a position - too slow to play 3 and gives up too many offensive boards at the 4.

Copied to the Jabari Parker thread.
stilldropin20
RealGM
And1: 1,233

Post#10 » by stilldropin20 » Sat Feb 9, 2019 5:09 pm

i like portis. always thought he's be good. and frankly, i wouldn't be too surprised if ends up better than lauri markenan.

The trick is to get Portis on a $15 M contract or less for 4 years. His personal offense can easily elite...he just needs to learn to play for the team and not himself. something that will be difficult to coach out of him because he learned to be selfish and play for himself under Rose, Thibs, Jimmy, Parker, Dunn, Lavine and Now Brooks...Wall.

But if you can coach this kid right and change the culture, you have a guy you can win with and wont back down to anyone in the entire league.
like i said, its a full rebuild.
stilldropin20
RealGM
And1: 1,233

Post#11 » by stilldropin20 » Sat Feb 9, 2019 5:29 pm

i see portis as a cross between a poor mans tim duncan a poor man kenin garnett. The problem is he'd be much better for (the team) as a poor man's dray green. just needs a coach to believe in him and make him feel like he is "part of the game plan" and a part of the future.

Bobby is a "fam" player. Just looking for a place that really wants him to be there and is waiting for a team to really show him the love.

Do it right and you can lock him up for $12-15 Million...and you have a modern PF...that just needs to learn to play team defense. the willingness to learn and be better is already there.
like i said, its a full rebuild.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#12 » by Ruzious » Sat Feb 9, 2019 8:33 pm

stilldropin20 wrote:i see portis as a cross between a poor mans tim duncan a poor man kenin garnett. The problem is he'd be much better for (the team) as a poor man's dray green. just needs a coach to believe in him and make him feel like he is "part of the game plan" and a part of the future.

Bobby is a "fam" player. Just looking for a place that really wants him to be there and is waiting for a team to really show him the love.

Do it right and you can lock him up for $12-15 Million...and you have a modern PF...that just needs to learn to play team defense. the willingness to learn and be better is already there.

I can see his career going a bit like Brook Lopez'. Lopez put up big numbers for several years, but got tons of criticism for being a loser because of his defense and dinosaur game. But he became a good and then great 3 point shooter and got put next to a great defensive big (Giannis), and now he's arguably the 2nd most important player on the team with the best record in the NBA. And Portis puts up better rebounding number than Lopez. Now all we have to do is find a Giannis. Yeah... that might not be easy. Parker? Nah.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#13 » by payitforward » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:14 pm

The Wizards picked up Bobby Portis's option making him a restricted free agent. What your thoughts?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#14 » by nate33 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:24 pm

payitforward wrote:The Wizards picked up Bobby Portis's option making him a restricted free agent. What your thoughts?

Extending the qualifying offer at just $3.6M was a no-brainer. If he ends up accepting it, he is a bargain. If our matching rights end up driving away other suitors so that he can be assigned to a value contract, then that is also good. If someone comes along and offers a big contract, we let him walk.

Ultimately, I don't think it means much. I think someone will come along and offer something in the MLE range and we won't match.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#15 » by queridiculo » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:36 pm

nate33 wrote:
payitforward wrote:The Wizards picked up Bobby Portis's option making him a restricted free agent. What your thoughts?

Extending the qualifying offer at just $3.6M was a no-brainer. If he ends up accepting it, he is a bargain. If our matching rights end up driving away other suitors so that he can be assigned to a value contract, then that is also good. If someone comes along and offers a big contract, we let him walk.

Ultimately, I don't think it means much. I think someone will come along and offer something in the MLE range and we won't match.

A sign and trade could conceivably be an option to extend that "asset" and if Washington gets really lucky they could generate another sizable TPE if for some odd reason a team signs him using cap space.

I can't imagine that the organization imagines him being part of the longterm future of this squad.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#16 » by payitforward » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:09 am

queridiculo wrote:
nate33 wrote:

A sign and trade could conceivably be an option to extend that "asset" and if Washington gets really lucky they could generate another sizable TPE if for some odd reason a team signs him using cap space.

I can't imagine that the organization imagines him being part of the longterm future of this squad.

Bingo! That's my thought as well. That's why Tommy extended the qualifying offer: if no one offers more, we are stuck with him 1 more year, but for not very much $$. If someone does make him an offer, we have the opportunity to get something back in a sign and trade.

Given the run Tommy is on, he'll probably get something out of this.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#17 » by pcbothwel » Mon Jul 1, 2019 4:19 am

He gone.. Thank god
Read on Twitter
payitforward
RealGM

Post#18 » by payitforward » Mon Jul 1, 2019 6:09 pm

Only the Knicks....
Mojo Amok
Pro Prospect
And1: 834

Post#19 » by Mojo Amok » Mon Jul 1, 2019 7:08 pm

Supposedly the second year of the Knicks deals are team options (except Randle who is a TO in the third year). There's been so many news blurbs that I'm dizzy and don't recall who tweeted that, but it would be more palatable to the Knicks if true.

Return to Washington Wizards