Wizards 2019 Offseason Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,353

Re: Wizards 2019 Offseason Thread 

Post#1901 » by nate33 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 4:14 am

Rainwater wrote:I really don't see the Wiz keeping Beal given what they have been doing. They have torn this team apart.

Yeah, the team is really going to miss Dwight Howard, Markieff Morris and Bobby Portis. With those guys around, the team was a contender! :roll:
Mojo Amok
Pro Prospect
And1: 834

Post#1902 » by Mojo Amok » Sat Jul 6, 2019 4:15 am

Rainwater wrote:I really don't see the Wiz keeping Beal given what they have been doing. They have torn this team apart.

This is the part of the Matlock episode where we run the flashbacks and show you that Beal was complicit and there all along. Standing in the shadows, thrusting the dagger and digging the grave thereafter.

Seriously, I'm sure that Beal would prefer that the Wizards were more competitive next year, but the direction of what was going to be done this offseason was almost surely communicated to him a few months back.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,626

Post#1903 » by Rainwater » Sat Jul 6, 2019 4:26 am

nate33 wrote:

Yeah, the team is really going to miss Dwight Howard, Markieff Morris and Bobby Portis. With those guys around, the team was a contender! :roll:

It's the overall direction they are heading in not one particular move. They are clearly tearing this team down, why sign a guy to a big contract when you have no intention of winning. Why hurt your flexibility? I just don't see the point. This team is deprived of talent by the time they are ready to compete Beal will be reaching the tail end of his prime.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#1904 » by gambitx777 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 6:06 am

Guess our trade won't be getting delayed lol kawi and PG13 to the clips damn....

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
Mojo Amok
Pro Prospect
And1: 834

Post#1905 » by Mojo Amok » Sat Jul 6, 2019 6:45 am

Turns out that the Raptors needed it to be like an 11.0 Earthquake with California becoming the new Atlantis.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Post#1906 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jul 6, 2019 3:28 pm

Cousins has spoken to a Washington Wizards executive, but Candace Buckner of the Washington Post notes it could simply have been a friendly conversation and nothing more.
-Bleacher Report
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1907 » by nate33 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 3:30 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Cousins has spoken to a Washington Wizards executive, but Candace Buckner of the Washington Post notes it could simply have been a friendly conversation and nothing more.
-Bleacher Report

They're not bringing in Cousins.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,316

Post#1908 » by NatP4 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 5:30 pm

I love everything they have done this offseason. The Sato trade sucked, but he’s 28 and we got a draft pick. I can’t complain. I didn’t love the Schofield pick, but they bought the pick so oh well.

Shep for GM
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#1909 » by payitforward » Sat Jul 6, 2019 6:12 pm

Rainwater wrote:
nate33 wrote:

It's the overall direction they are heading in not one particular move. They are clearly tearing this team down, why sign a guy to a big contract when you have no intention of winning. Why hurt your flexibility? I just don't see the point. This team is deprived of talent by the time they are ready to compete Beal will be reaching the tail end of his prime.

What actual value has been removed from this team? None.

Who is not here from last year's season-ending roster? Dwight Howard, Devin Robinson, Chasson Randle, Bobby Portis, Jeff Green, Trevor Ariza, Sam Dekker, Wes Johnson, Jabari Parker, & Tomas Satoransky. The only guy worth mentioning in that group is Satoransky.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1910 » by gambitx777 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 6:33 pm

Devin Robinson would have been a keeper if he wasn't having personal issues. Skill wise he was interesting. But I agree let see who we cut and what happens after all these moves go through
payitforward wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
nate33 wrote:Yeah, the team is really going to miss Dwight Howard, Markieff Morris and Bobby Portis. With those guys around, the team was a contender! :roll:

Who is not here from last year's season-ending roster? Dwight Howard, Devin Robinson, Chasson Randle, Bobby Portis, Jeff Green, Trevor Ariza, Sam Dekker, Wes Johnson, Jabari Parker, & Tomas Satoransky. The only guy worth mentioning in that group is Satoransky.

Rainwater
General Manager

Post#1911 » by Rainwater » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:30 pm

payitforward wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
nate33 wrote:Yeah, the team is really going to miss Dwight Howard, Markieff Morris and Bobby Portis. With those guys around, the team was a contender! :roll:

You are missing my point. No one is talking about value. If the plan is that they are not trying to win, going young and are rebuilding what is the point of keeping Beal? The writing was on the wall once they traded Otto. And I understand. All the players you have listed above if they had stayed together with Beal would have won more games than the current roster; however, to what end? Just to be a borderline playoff to crappy basketball team??? So they decided to rebuild and go young which is completely understandable.

So if the end is to rebuild and not win why keep and resign Beal? Why hurt your flexibility? If they did keep Beal, it would make the Otto deal a bit confusing.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1912 » by FAH1223 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 8:10 pm

Read on Twitter
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1913 » by gambitx777 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 8:21 pm

I think the reason you keep Beal unless he wants out is that he's an all star caliber guy with good character , if he wants to be here and is willing to sign ling term for a re build or re model then that's half the battle and you keep him cuz they goal is to find guys like him and those are hard to find.
Rainwater wrote:
payitforward wrote:
Rainwater wrote:It's the overall direction they are heading in not one particular move. They are clearly tearing this team down, why sign a guy to a big contract when you have no intention of winning. Why hurt your flexibility? I just don't see the point. This team is deprived of talent by the time they are ready to compete Beal will be reaching the tail end of his prime.

You are missing my point. No one is talking about value. If the plan is that they are not trying to win, going young and are rebuilding what is the point of keeping Beal? The writing was on the wall once they traded Otto. And I understand. All the players you have listed above if they had stayed together with Beal would have won more games than the current roster; however, to what end? Just to be a borderline playoff to crappy basketball team??? So they decided to rebuild and go young which is completely understandable.

So if the end is to rebuild and not win why keep and resign Beal? Why hurt your flexibility? If they did keep Beal, it would make the Otto deal a bit confusing.

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1914 » by nate33 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 8:37 pm

Rainwater wrote:
payitforward wrote:
Rainwater wrote:It's the overall direction they are heading in not one particular move. They are clearly tearing this team down, why sign a guy to a big contract when you have no intention of winning. Why hurt your flexibility? I just don't see the point. This team is deprived of talent by the time they are ready to compete Beal will be reaching the tail end of his prime.

Because Beal is only 25, and because trading Beal would bring back far less value than what Beal himself brings to the table.

I think this team can be back in the playoff hunt (albeit a hunt for a late seed) as soon as the 2020-21 season. And if their picks pan out, they'll be better in 2021 and beyond than they were in the past 5 years.
Rainwater
General Manager

Post#1915 » by Rainwater » Sat Jul 6, 2019 8:40 pm

gambitx777 wrote:I think the reason you keep Beal unless he wants out is that he's an all star caliber guy with good character , if he wants to be here and is willing to sign ling term for a re build or re model then that's half the battle and you keep him cuz they goal is to find guys like him and those are hard to find.
Rainwater wrote:
payitforward wrote:What actual value has been removed from this team? None.

If he wants to be here that is fine and it's great he has good character however a resigning wouldn't make sense given what has been going on.

Him resigning would remind me of Melo staying in NY a few seasons back.
Rainwater
General Manager

Post#1916 » by Rainwater » Sat Jul 6, 2019 8:49 pm

nate33 wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
payitforward wrote:What actual value has been removed from this team? None.

Because Beal is only 25, and because trading Beal would bring back far less value than what Beal himself brings to the table.

I think this team can be back in the playoff hunt (albeit a hunt for a late seed) as soon as the 2020-21 season. And if their picks pan out, they'll be better in 2021 and beyond than they were in the past 5 years.

Beal is 26 and it really doesn't matter what he brings to the table right now given how bad this team is going to be for the next few years. They are not going anywhere fast. The priority right now should be about picking up as much assets and creating as much flexibility as possible.

I think the biggest difference between you and I is that you are expecting a speedy 2 year rebuild where I believe this is going to take a few years. If that is your mindset we will continue to disagree.
Rainwater
General Manager

Post#1917 » by Rainwater » Sat Jul 6, 2019 8:53 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Too bad he isn't coming back lol
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1918 » by nate33 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 8:53 pm

Rainwater wrote:
nate33 wrote:
Rainwater wrote:

Beal is 26 and it really doesn't matter what he brings to the table right now given how bad this team is going to be for the next few years. They are not going anywhere fast. The priority right now should be about picking up as much assets and creating as much flexibility as possible.

I think the biggest difference between you and I is that you are expecting a speedy 2 year rebuild where I believe this is going to take a few years. If that is your mindset we will continue to disagree.

And the difference between me and you is that I think it's highly unlikely that we get back comparable value if we trade Beal.
Rainwater
General Manager

Post#1919 » by Rainwater » Sat Jul 6, 2019 9:04 pm

nate33 wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
nate33 wrote:Because Beal is only 25, and because trading Beal would bring back far less value than what Beal himself brings to the table.

And the difference between me and you is that I think it's highly unlikely that we get back comparable value if we trade Beal.

Who said they would??? Lol. You typically don't, you just want assets so you can build. However, with that being said, you don't know the outcome of a trade until years later. When you trade a player of Beal's caliber you typically get draft picks, expirings, and young guys. So it would take a while to figure out how those assets turnout.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#1920 » by payitforward » Sat Jul 6, 2019 9:04 pm

Rainwater wrote:
payitforward wrote:

Right, if last year's team had stayed together, the team would likely have won 29 or 30 games this season. That was the pace of the team after trading Porter (10 wins in 28 games).

I suppose you could argue that the team should trade Beal & simply start over. That's what OKC is doing by having traded Paul George.

But, Paul George let management know that he didn't want to stay with the team. Beal has said that he wants to stay. &, I imagine Brad has had full & frank discussions with Sheppard & Leonsis, so he knows what's going on.

OTOH, if we were offered a deal for Brad that approached what OKC is getting for PG, it would be hard not to go for it! Thing is, if Brad signs an extension, & especially if he improves his play further, there'll be time to trade him later if necessary. If he doesn't sign an extension, I'd say that puts the team in a different position.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....

Return to Washington Wizards