Buck now gone? 

Post#1 » by 80sballboy » Wed Mar 6, 2019 10:56 pm

bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Re: Buck now gone? 

Post#2 » by bondom34 » Thu Mar 7, 2019 2:18 am

This is some garbage. I like Lawson too but you guys had one of the best crews in the NBA and both were/will be let go.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,341

Post#3 » by doclinkin » Thu Mar 7, 2019 2:32 am

Sure. Fire the good guys, keep Ernie. That makes sense.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#4 » by FAH1223 » Thu Mar 7, 2019 2:39 am

Straight up bullshid.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,299

Post#5 » by nate33 » Thu Mar 7, 2019 4:15 am

I've always loved Buck's passion and enthusiasm, and he does a real nice job of being pro-Wizards without being an insufferable homer, but I can understand the concern that he doesn't really have great chemistry with Lawson. Also, to be honest, Buck has been slipping a bit. He mis-identifies guys all the time.

We all complained when they let Phil go, only to discover that his replacement, Kara Lawson, is much better. It is entirely possible that the person who replaces Buck could be better too. However, if the purpose of replacing him is to find better chemistry with Lawson, then they damn well better lock up Lawson for a long time. Or else she could be on her way to national broadcasts very soon.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Post#6 » by DCZards » Thu Mar 7, 2019 5:36 am

Buck is a Washington basketball institution...in a good way. He's suffered through some bad Zards teams. Yet has still managed to be upbeat and make watching the team interesting most of the time. But I agree with Nate. Buck has been slipping. It happens to the best of them.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#7 » by montestewart » Thu Mar 7, 2019 12:27 pm

Dagger!

Next to go will be that condiment lady. Where's the loyalty?

Read on Twitter

nate33 wrote:We all complained when they let Phil go, only to discover that his replacement, Kara Lawson, is much better. It is entirely possible that the person who replaces Buck could be better too.

And whoever replaces EGgo could be better too. It's all about priorities.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#8 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 7, 2019 12:53 pm

Sorry to hear that. Buck ain't perfect, but he's better than most and is an institution here. I thought the chemistry with Kara - who is great - was ok and gradually improving.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Post#9 » by Induveca » Thu Mar 7, 2019 1:25 pm

nate33 wrote:I've always loved Buck's passion and enthusiasm, and he does a real nice job of being pro-Wizards without being an insufferable homer, but I can understand the concern that he doesn't really have great chemistry with Lawson. Also, to be honest, Buck has been slipping a bit. He mis-identifies guys all the time.

We all complained when they let Phil go, only to discover that his replacement, Kara Lawson, is much better. It is entirely possible that the person who replaces Buck could be better too. However, if the purpose of replacing him is to find better chemistry with Lawson, then they damn well better lock up Lawson for a long time. Or else she could be on her way to national broadcasts very soon.

We don’t all feel this way, I preferred Chenier 100x to Lawson. I enjoyed the chemistry and jokes between Buckhantz and Chenier. Lawson has the personality of a female T800 90% of the time, and disappeared for minutes at a time for some reason.

Ratings are down significantly this year yet again, and betting comes to games next year. I suspect the combination of both is what gets him canned. Different format. They’ll likely need to hire a hype man to scream out the betting lines (ugh).

Admittedly, I did predict Buckhantz would repeatedly call Portis Porter. :)
Hidden Eye
Pro Prospect
And1: 370

Post#10 » by Hidden Eye » Thu Mar 7, 2019 2:20 pm

montestewart wrote:Dagger!

Next to go will be that condiment lady. Where's the loyalty?

Read on Twitter

nate33 wrote:We all complained when they let Phil go, only to discover that his replacement, Kara Lawson, is much better. It is entirely possible that the person who replaces Buck could be better too.

And whoever replaces EGgo could be better too. It's all about priorities.

Would be great if the Arena prices were cheaper than most than other sports arenas but they are all cookie cutter 10 dollar bud lights etc. never no discounts, glad it’s not a green cross dispensary :lol: .
Hidden Eye
Pro Prospect
And1: 370

Post#11 » by Hidden Eye » Thu Mar 7, 2019 2:20 pm

dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,967

Post#12 » by dckingsfan » Thu Mar 7, 2019 2:55 pm

I was listening to the game last night and thinking that Buckhantz sounded tired... It could have been just that game.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#13 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 7, 2019 3:20 pm

Induveca wrote:
nate33 wrote:I've always loved Buck's passion and enthusiasm, and he does a real nice job of being pro-Wizards without being an insufferable homer, but I can understand the concern that he doesn't really have great chemistry with Lawson. Also, to be honest, Buck has been slipping a bit. He mis-identifies guys all the time.

We don’t all feel this way, I preferred Chenier 100x to Lawson. I enjoyed the chemistry and jokes between Buckhantz and Chenier. Lawson has the personality of a female T800 90% of the time, and disappeared for minutes at a time for some reason.

Ratings are down significantly this year yet again, and betting comes to games next year. I suspect the combination of both is what gets him canned. Different format. They’ll likely need to hire a hype man to scream out the betting lines (ugh).

Admittedly, I did predict Buckhantz would repeatedly call Portis Porter. :)

Yeah, I think the gambling is going to significantly change the broadcasts. Notice in one of the recent games, they had 2 broadcasts of the game - one regular and the other one saying to go to an app or a website to vote on various things - all throughout the broadcast - stupid thngs like Who do you think will have more 3's in the 3rd quarter - Beal or Ariza? And no doubt, they're thinking people will want to make bets on things like that. They were likely testing to see how many people were going to the website to "vote". And those voters will be the bettors in the future.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#14 » by FAH1223 » Thu Mar 7, 2019 5:16 pm

She already is doing national broadcasts for college basketball and on ESPN Radio during the NBA postseason. :wink:
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#15 » by payitforward » Fri Mar 8, 2019 12:53 am

DCZards wrote:Buck is a Washington basketball institution...in a good way. He's suffered through some bad Zards teams. Yet has still managed to be upbeat and make watching the team interesting most of the time. But I agree with Nate. Buck has been slipping. It happens to the best of them.

No it doesn't! For example, it's not happening to me, no way -- despite what whatsisname keeps saying about that thing I was talking about (what was it again?)!

Anyway... it's obvious that none of you understand what is behind this announcement. I.e. have you even figured out who will be taking over for Buck? It is so obvious....
Spoiler:
"Today the Wizards are happy to announce that Ernie Grunfeld has agreed to become the team's next play be play announcer. "I can do it with my eyes closed," commented Ernie when we reached him earlier today.

By the way, Wizards fans, do not be concerned -- Ernie's new duties will not require him to give up his position as President of Basketball Operations; we can all breathe easy that Ernie will remain at the helm. When asked about the effect of his new role on player evaluation, once again Ernie said: "I can do it with my eyes closed."

Btw, after much consideration, Ernie has decided not to go for the trifecta by becoming team mascot -- even though the team went to the expense of creating a complicated new costume designed especially for him -- in which, in an all new concept, the head emerges from the rectum.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 896

Post#16 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Mar 9, 2019 1:58 am

I hope to God it's not Rob Carlin, who filled in for Buck when he missed some games earlier this year. This would be purely a cost cutting move, and he was not impressive to say the least.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#17 » by 80sballboy » Sat Mar 9, 2019 2:59 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:I hope to God it's not Rob Carlin, who filled in for Buck when he missed some games earlier this year. This would be purely a cost cutting move, and he was not impressive to say the least.

Carlin is a hockey guy first. Chris Miller has done some games when Buck was sick this year. The good thing is that it would take him off of the sidelines. :D
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#18 » by 80sballboy » Sat Mar 9, 2019 3:01 am

Read on Twitter
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#19 » by payitforward » Sat Mar 9, 2019 4:31 pm

Ever since he was on the team & I heard him in interviews, I've thought that Martell Webster would wind up a media guy.

Of course... once you make some millions of dollars & retire, if you're a good investor/businessman you may not need to work for a living!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#20 » by keynote » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:31 am

payitforward wrote:Ever since he was on the team & I heard him in interviews, I've thought that Martell Webster would wind up a media guy.

Of course... once you make some millions of dollars & retire, if you're a good investor/businessman you may not need to work for a living!
I doubt the Wizards would hire Martell for color, let alone play-by-play. But I wouldn't be surprised if the Wizards found him a job somewhere. The Wizards have shown a strange propensity for honoring mercenaries who spent 1-2 years on the team as journeymen with the types of gigs other teams reserve for ex-players with long tenures with the team.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using RealGM mobile app
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.

Return to Washington Wizards