GT #71 Jazz @ Wizards 7:00 PM 

Post#1 » by ducler » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:57 pm

Read on Twitter
youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Re: GT #71 Jazz @ Wizards 7:00 PM 

Post#2 » by youngWizzy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:41 pm

Troy Brown so far has been beyond terrible. Missed a few rotations resulting in a couple open threes for Ingles. He's been unable to stay in front of smaller guards like Neto. Also telegraphing passes resulting in turnovers.
Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
MarcoPolo
Rookie
And1: 183

Post#3 » by MarcoPolo » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:46 am

Beal is playing... tired. Give this guy a chance to breath. They are running him to the ground in the game Wizards are +20 down.

Last 10 games 40.1 mins.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#4 » by BigA » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:50 am

MarcoPolo wrote:Beal is playing... tired. Give this guy a chance to breath. They are running him to the ground in the game Wizards are +20 down.

Last 10 games 40.1 mins.

Although, as people have pointed out, this is probably Beal's preference. Trying to build up stats for all-NBA.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#5 » by BigA » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:52 am

Everyone talking about how much fun the team is to watch recently sucks me into turning on the game, and they're a mess.
owneroz
Sophomore
And1: 68

Post#6 » by owneroz » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:55 am

This game is pathetic. Utah is walking all over them.

Sent as Washington Wizards fan from Miami Heat Nation
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,297

Post#7 » by babyjax13 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:08 am

youngWizzy wrote:Troy Brown so far has been beyond terrible. Missed a few rotations resulting in a couple open threes for Ingles. He's been unable to stay in front of smaller guards like Neto. Also telegraphing passes resulting in turnovers.

I like Brown a lot (obviously this hasn't been a good game). He's still a baby, but I think he'll be a good player. Good playmaking skills, I think he can be a good shooter. That's at least a little consolation with how things are going. Definitely feel for you as fans - Washington right now reminds me of Utah during the Corbin years, bad leadership makes everything seem pretty dire.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
trast66
Rookie
And1: 614

Post#8 » by trast66 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:18 am

Jazz a terrible match up for us, remember they beat us by almost 50 last year.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#9 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:50 am

babyjax13 wrote:
youngWizzy wrote:Troy Brown so far has been beyond terrible. Missed a few rotations resulting in a couple open threes for Ingles. He's been unable to stay in front of smaller guards like Neto. Also telegraphing passes resulting in turnovers.

I like Brown a lot (obviously this hasn't been a good game). He's still a baby, but I think he'll be a good player. Good playmaking skills, I think he can be a good shooter. That's at least a little consolation with how things are going. Definitely feel for you as fans - Washington right now reminds me of Utah during the Corbin years, bad leadership makes everything seem pretty dire.

If Troy Brown were a mid 2nd round pick, I’d say he’d have been a steal. As it was - 15th overall- meh. He’ll be a borderline rotational guy.
In Rizzo we trust
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,297

Post#10 » by babyjax13 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:59 am

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

If Troy Brown were a mid 2nd round pick, I’d say he’d have been a steal. As it was - 15th overall- meh. He’ll be a borderline rotational guy.

If I remember right he was the third youngest player in the draft behind Bagley and someone else. Next year he'll be the same age as most of the other rookies (Ayton, for example, is more than a year older).

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#11 » by prime1time » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:52 am

Went to the game...Just embarrassing. The stadium was so empty. Seats that usually go for 150, I was able to get for like 50 dollars. Beal looked off the entire game. Parker had a really tough time doing basic things like dribbling and passing. I really don't know what to do with him. Perhaps, he's best suited as a 6th, 7th man off the bench.

I'm not as low on Troy Brown as other people here. Let's give him some time. During the game and while he was not on the floor, he's was constantly seeking advice and talking to teammates and coaches. After he made some bad plays you could tell it clearly affected his confidence. Let's see how he responds to adversity.

For the Wizards to start off as bad as they were, and win as much games as they did, is so despairing. In a draft with a guy like Zion, the Wiz should have tanked.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#12 » by FAH1223 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:08 am

prime1time wrote:Went to the game...Just embarrassing. The stadium was so empty. Seats that usually go for 150, I was able to get for like 50 dollars. Beal looked off the entire game. Parker had a really tough time doing basic things like dribbling and passing. I really don't know what to do with him. Perhaps, he's best suited as a 6th, 7th man off the bench.

I'm not as low on Troy Brown as other people here. Let's give him some time. During the game and while he was not on the floor, he's was constantly seeking advice and talking to teammates and coaches. After he made some bad plays you could tell it clearly affected his confidence. Let's see how he responds to adversity.

For the Wizards to start off as bad as they were, and win as much games as they did, is so despairing. In a draft with a guy like Zion, the Wiz should have tanked.

I didn't watch

Read on Twitter

Was Joe Ingles talking trash? He's become one of my favorite players along with Mitchell. :lol:
prime1time
Analyst

Post#13 » by prime1time » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:22 am

FAH1223 wrote:
prime1time wrote:Went to the game...Just embarrassing. The stadium was so empty. Seats that usually go for 150, I was able to get for like 50 dollars. Beal looked off the entire game. Parker had a really tough time doing basic things like dribbling and passing. I really don't know what to do with him. Perhaps, he's best suited as a 6th, 7th man off the bench.

I didn't watch

Read on Twitter

Was Joe Ingles talking trash? He's become one of my favorite players along with Mitchell. :lol:

Hmmm, didn't key on the Bradley Ingles matchup, but Beal looked off the whole night. Utah's a really good defensive team and it showed. Trapped him on pick and roles, contested his layups at the rim. Tbh, Beal kind of regressed to what he looked like in the first couple years of his career. Settling for jumpers, instead of attacking the hoop. If I had to guess, there probably wasn't much trash talk because the Wizards just played terrible. Game was never really in doubt even though the score was close.

I have to say, Utah looked really good. Where a Wiz team would have let a team they were clearly better than hang around, the Jazz put the their feet on our throats. Even up 20+ with 7 or 8 minutes left in the game Mitchell was still playing hard! Goaltending a deadfall 3 lol.

Tbh, I'm afraid that the losing culture that we are creating is going to hurt Brown Jr's development. So many careless errors and plays. Teams body language was a disaster. Jabari Parker after his 5th turnover just put his hands on knees and didn't bother getting back. Troy Brown Jr. after a terrible pass on a fast break just stared at the ground. One Jeff Green was coming to the bench and yelled f***. For what it's worth, only players that shook hands after the game were Brad and McRae. And Brad was laughing and joking with the Crowder and another Utah Jazz player. Call me an old school fan, but it just rubbed me the wrong way. When your star player can laugh after a beat down like that, you've officially reached loser status.

Personally I saw this loss as a new low for the Wiz.
prime1time
Analyst

Post#14 » by prime1time » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:25 am

Also, defense was an absolute disaster. Multiple people left wide open, with the ball, for 2 or 3 seconds. To quote Abraham Lincoln, "The bottom has fallen out of the tub."
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#15 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:46 am

babyjax13 wrote:
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

If I remember right he was the third youngest player in the draft behind Bagley and someone else. Next year he'll be the same age as most of the other rookies (Ayton, for example, is more than a year older).

What was really disappointing to me was his lack of effort on defense last night, and it was the entire time he was in. Utah targeted him more than any other Zard, and he caved rather than competed. Bryant was also burned several times, but at least he seemed to be trying. It was not a good day for the Wiz younger players. Sato didn't have a terrible statistical game, but he passed up a number of open 3's that he's got to take. It clogs up the interior defense when he refuses to shoot and that's an especially hard thing to overcome when they have Gobert defending.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#16 » by dobrojim » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:36 pm

Was one of the vocal critics described in the WaPo by Buckner.
Trying to get a following of folks to chant Hey hey Ho Ho, Ernie Grunfelds got to go.

I usually wait for a moment of relative quiet when I yell Ernie's got to go!
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,107

Post#17 » by jazzfan1971 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:38 pm

Sometimes I get down on the Jazz after a loss. But, the way Washington played the other night is so much worse than a bad game from the Jazz that I probably never need to get down on the Jazz again.

I don't know that I've ever seen a team try so little on defense before. Just conceding shots to Ingles is terribly lazy.

Perhaps just an off night or a bad matchup for the Wiz, but I feel sorry for the fans to have to watch that kind of effort.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#18 » by payitforward » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:57 am

I didn't watch the 2d half of last night's game. Why is anyone down on Troy Brown (on his rookie season, I mean), I wonder? He doesn't shoot well so far, that's obvious, but he's too young to count him out for that. & otherwise he's been very good. He's an excellent rebounder, gets lots of assists & is reliable with the ball.

As I said early on, I would have traded down in the draft. As usual, Ernie blew a big bunch of opportunities. But, leaving that aside, I don't see any indication that Brown will be a bust -- far from it, in fact.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,353

Post#19 » by nate33 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:52 pm

I didn't see the game, but the typical problem with the Wizards on defense isn't lack of effort, it's lack of communication and poor rotations. We constantly send two guys to close out on one 3-point shooter, or we forget to send a guy. Our players don't seem to understand the scheme.

Other than Mitchell, Utah doesn't really have any shot creators. Their offense is based on ball movement that's designed to capitalize on defensive mistakes. If your rotations are seamless, Utah doesn't get the advantage and they're forced into bad shots. If your defense is mistake-prone, you get killed. The top 6 teams on defense (excluding Utah) are MIL, IND, OKC, BOS, TOR and MEM. Those teams are a combined 12-4 against Utah. Ignore the two Boston games played in November when Boston was a mess, and their combined record is 12-2 against Utah. If you simply play smart defense and avoid mistakes, Utah can't beat you.

The Wizards are a catastrophe on defensive rotations. My guess, having not seen the game, is that Washington got beat so bad on rotations that their morale was broken. Eventually, you just get tired of closing on 3's only to have Utah swing it one more time for another open look or for a cut to the basket.

It would sure be awesome if we could get a coach that knew how to get guys to play the defensive scheme right. Some players are certainly better defenders than others, but most NBA players can at least be taught to follow a scheme properly and not give away points due to mistakes. Milwaukee has the best defensive team in the league with defensive sieve Lopez at center and the not-so-great-defensively Middleton at forward. Indy has the 2nd best defense with Turner plus a bunch of guys with a poor defensive reputation.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#20 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:20 pm

trast66 wrote:Jazz a terrible match up for us, remember they beat us by almost 50 last year.

High IQ team vs a Low IQ team

Return to Washington Wizards