Analyst
And1: 1,868

Re: GT #76 Wizards @ Jazz 9:00 PM 

Post#41 » by prime1time » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:06 am

nate33 wrote:
prime1time wrote:
TheBabyMaker wrote:
Perhaps Kelly Oubre. ???

Your comment makes no sense. Kelly Oubre is a completely different player than Troy Brown Jr. Personally I like Troy Brown Jr. In terms of feel for the game, he's light years ahead of Oubre. Oubre is an athlete playing basketball. Troy Brown Jr. is a basketball player. You can already see him doing things here and there that show potential. Knocking down jumpers off the dribble. Going behind the back away from a screener to knock down a jumper. Using his length to finish around the hoop with both hands. Showing a smooth jumper. And running the offense here and there as a 19 year old. Games like this will only serve to boost his confidence. It will be interesting to see what an offseason of can do to improve his game.

Agreed.

Brown has shown plenty of signs of having a very well-rounded game, but his lack of a jumper has made it impossible for him to stay on the floor long enough to demonstrate any of his skills. It looks like he has worked very hard on his jumper, and it's now becoming reliable enough that defenses must respect him, and that's opening up the rest of his game. I expect this dynamic to continue as he continues to improve his jumper.

It's easier to develop a jumper than it is to develop a high basketball IQ. With that in mind, I have more optimism in Brown's long term upside than Oubre. (I still think Oubre will be a useful NBA player, but I'm unsure if he'll ever be a winning NBA player.)

If you go back to some of Troy's interviews before the draft, he speaks very confidently about his jumper. He wrote of his struggles shooting last year as being due to shot selection. And you can make the argument that his struggles shooting this year are more so due to the adjustment to the game. Hopefully Troy starts next year and we can see what we have.

Return to Washington Wizards