Post#2 » by tontoz » Mon Apr 1, 2019 8:36 pm

Ted lives that double-bottom-line life.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Re: Will Wall sit out next year? Ted hopes so 

Post#3 » by pcbothwel » Mon Apr 1, 2019 9:37 pm

Its still a good sales pitch to a potential GM. Yes, we are capped out. But we have bird rights on Ariza & Parker, and RFA status on Sato, Portis and Bryant.
We also have a top 10 pick, the Full MLE, and the Kieff TPE of 8.6M to add players.

We will obviously stay under the tax, but I think any GM will have the green light to go right up to the the threshold because of the savings we get from Wall's insurance.

Wall, Beal, Mahinmi, Howard, Brown, 1st totals to just under 100M. With a tax of about 132M, that gives the GM about 35M to resign Sato, Bryant, Use the MLE, the TPE, and bring back 1 or two FA's.

FAR from ideal...but at least its some maneuverability.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#4 » by DoItALL9 » Thu May 2, 2019 10:11 pm

80sballboy wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/04/01/john-walls-injury-devastating-it-is-could-help-wizards-bottom-line-next-year/?utm_term=.5d43ebc49d7a
tontoz wrote:Ted lives that double-bottom-line life.
pcbothwel wrote:Its still a good sales pitch to a potential GM. Yes, we are capped out. But we have bird rights on Ariza & Parker, and RFA status on Sato, Portis and Bryant.
We also have a top 10 pick, the Full MLE, and the Kieff TPE of 8.6M to add players.

We will obviously stay under the tax, but I think any GM will have the green light to go right up to the the threshold because of the savings we get from Wall's insurance.

Wall, Beal, Mahinmi, Howard, Brown, 1st totals to just under 100M. With a tax of about 132M, that gives the GM about 35M to resign Sato, Bryant, Use the MLE, the TPE, and bring back 1 or two FA's.

Were the Wizards able to get under the tax this season?
The NBA trade machine on ESPN says they're over by a little more than 100K but it seems hard to believe they would've gotten that close & not gotten under it.

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#5 » by payitforward » Fri May 3, 2019 3:18 am

pcbothwel wrote:Its still a good sales pitch to a potential GM. Yes, we are capped out. But we have bird rights on Ariza & Parker, and RFA status on Sato, Portis and Bryant.

Why would a new GM give a rat's ass about any of this, I wonder? You think our 32-win roster with a $40m/a year boat anchor contract is what would appeal to someone? Or our having Bird rights on Jabari Parker? A wash out w/ 2 ACLs...? Or the corpse of Trevor Ariza? That's supposed to appeal to someone? That we can keep Bobby Portis? Gee, isn't that swell!

We have 4 players with value: Beal, Satoransky, Brown & Bryant. That's it. Plus our R1 pick.

You think a new guy will view those assets plus an MLE level player & a $40m/year debt to a player most of whose career is now behind him & is questionable to come back as an effective NBA player?

Not to mention that your rough math has us up against the tax with 10 guys who can step on the court next year.

What a new GM is going to like is that he doesn't have to meet any expectations at all next year or the following & that he is in a position to ditch the trash & start over.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#6 » by dangermouse » Fri May 3, 2019 4:17 am

I guess it would depend on the GM

You ever played the Sim City games? Some people enjoyed starting a fresh city from scratch, with no debt and the freedom to build and expand how they chose to. Other more hardcore players liked custom scenarios, with pre-built cities suffering from poor infrastructure choices, choking on traffic, pollution and crime, and -$50k in the hole.

Some people like a challenge more than a clean slate. We need someone who wants to play 'hardcore mode'
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,012

Post#7 » by Dark Faze » Fri May 3, 2019 2:39 pm

I feel like Ted is the type of guy who would frown in interviews at the idea of a teardown.

Hopefully I'm wrong.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#8 » by pancakes3 » Sat May 4, 2019 3:10 am

i love sim and 4x games and i like to challenge myself with hard mode as much as the next hypercompetitive type-A alpha male but good luck finding someone with so much fortitude (and not literally insane) who's willing to handicap themselves like that in high-stakes multiplayer.
Bullets -> Wizards
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#9 » by payitforward » Sat May 4, 2019 1:48 pm

Teardown? What teardown? We have 5 players under contract. One of them picked up a player option he shouldn't have gotten & is someon whom no one wants (Howard). A 2d (Mahinmi) we'd love to dump instantly; like the first guy he will certainly be gone in a year. A third is facing a long journey back to health & who knows what level of productivity (Wall). That leaves Beal & Brown.

Everyone else is either a decision or someone we could lose to a higher bidder.

Anything can happen -- maybe we win the Zion sweepstakes, & the new guy trades the pick & John Wall to NO for their pick & Anthony Davis? Seems unlikely, but... anything can happen!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#10 » by WallToWall » Fri May 17, 2019 5:10 pm

If Wall sits out this next season, his salary still counts toward the cap, but in Ted's eyes, his salary is covered by an insurance payment. Wouldn't that make Wall a worthy gamble for any other team wanting to trade for him? Yes, Wall's salary counts against the cap, but they are not really paying for it next year if Wall sits. Teams like the Lakers, Clippers, Rockets perhaps wouldn't mind the gamble.

There's a reasonable chance that when Wall gets back on the court, he would have lost half a step and an inch or two off his vertical. That matters a lot for his game. I hope Wall looks to reinvent his game, maybe play smarter, use more fakes, figure out how to effectively draw fouls...basically add a few more things to his repertoire which he currently does not possess. IMO, it's the only way to perhaps play up to his contract.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#11 » by pancakes3 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:47 pm

i know we like to say Wall's the worst contract in the league but it's honestly CP3's.
Bullets -> Wizards
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer
And1: 312

Post#12 » by gravytrain24 » Fri May 17, 2019 9:57 pm

WallToWall wrote:If Wall sits out this next season, his salary still counts toward the cap, but in Ted's eyes, his salary is covered by an insurance payment. Wouldn't that make Wall a worthy gamble for any other team wanting to trade for him? Yes, Wall's salary counts against the cap, but they are not really paying for it next year if Wall sits. Teams like the Lakers, Clippers, Rockets perhaps wouldn't mind the gamble.

There's a reasonable chance that when Wall gets back on the court, he would have lost half a step and an inch or two off his vertical. That matters a lot for his game. I hope Wall looks to reinvent his game, maybe play smarter, use more fakes, figure out how to effectively draw fouls...basically add a few more things to his repertoire which he currently does not possess. IMO, it's the only way to perhaps play up to his contract.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app

I think if someone's trading for Wall, I don't think you would get back what you want because of the injury, its high risk-med reward for that team. I don't know what team would be that desperate enough to risk that. Lakers, no, they wouldn't want to tie all that money up on a PG who can't shoot the 3. Houston has CP3 who has a bad contract, and I wouldn't do a swap, but see Lakers reason. Clippers, I think they like SGA and Robinson too much to avoid taking the risk and i'm pretty sure Gortat and Rivers told them everything last year about John.

Return to Washington Wizards