HALLELUJAH: Ernie Grunfeld fired

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Re: HALLELUJAH: Ernie Grunfeld fired 

Post#301 » by tontoz » Sun May 12, 2019 3:44 pm

closg00 wrote:PIF, dunno if you already saw your work re-posted here:
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/4/2/18292767/ernie-grunfeld-fired-washington-wizards-gm

:lol:

Classic. Goes to show that people in the media do pay attention to this board.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#302 » by payitforward » Sun May 12, 2019 7:00 pm

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/4/2/18292767/ernie-grunfeld-fired-washington-wizards-gm

Thanks Clos, I did -- someone pointed to it in a thread here a few days after it appeared.

I've been meaning to contact the writer just to thank him, but... haven't remembered to do it yet.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#303 » by payitforward » Sun May 12, 2019 7:01 pm

tontoz wrote:

Nah... I paid him off!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#304 » by montestewart » Sun May 12, 2019 7:07 pm

payitforward wrote:Wouldn't have done this, except you challenged me Monte...

[WARNING: The following embarrassingly effusive praise for the signing of Andrew Nicholson should be read with caution - montestewart]

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1414029&hilit=Andrew+Nicholson&start=1520 -- how does one do this kind of link? [like this Re: 2016 Offseason Thread -- Not (just) #KD2DC ]

Spoiler:
Here are a few opinions, starting the day we signed Nicholson:

nuposse04 was extremely positive in many many posts. Not going to embarrass him with quotes

gtn130 "Not hating on the moves because I think they aren't too bad" (only one he didn’t like was giving beal a max contract).
& several other positive comments on Nicholson as well

gambitx777 nicholson is better than gooden or Dudley ..., I think burke is better than sessions , Sato is on par with beal

& again... "The nicholson deal was really solid, he has skills and still has potential."

& once more: "Nicholson will be better here, better HC, better PG, better fit."

mhd "If we had just signed Aldrich instead of Mahinmi, then this off-season would have been fine."

lyricalrico "Yep, that substitution would have made this offseason a decent low budget alternative to not getting KD2DC."

zards: "I have high hopes for the development of Nicholson …who I think can turn out to be a BIG contributor on the offensive end."

thinker07 – very positive on whole off season including signing of nicholson

deneem positive too

pcbothwei -- "Gortat, Nicholson, Morris, Sato, etc. are going to be positive assets."

pcbothwei: "Our path to getting another AS level player requires that … 3) One of Nicholson/Morris to show they are a positive asset. I think 3) is very likely in that both guys are already average players, 26 y/o, and signed long term to cheap deals."

One person pointed out in several posts that Nicholson had been unremittingly terrible & had been let go by the team that drafted him in R1 -- 3 years later. A lot of people made it clear to that person how wrong he was. :) Just as they have made clear to him in the last few weeks how wrong he is in his draft strategy. Now... maybe the fact that he wasn't wrong back then is what gives him some confidence that he isn't wrong now -- what do you think? & who do you think that person is, btw?

Dat also criticized the signing repeatedly. So did nate.

Damn, so many deluded people! Good memory PIF, and here I thought you were some old guy.

I guess I projected my feelings onto everyone else.

montestewart wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:Can we all just agree we did not make the worst deals this offseason.! I mean there were much worse deals than ours out there!

Great Pickup Lines #127: "Well, you're not the ugliest girl in the bar."

montestewart wrote:
keynote wrote:

We entered free agency prepared to execute the plan that we conceived, developed and refined during a three-year period and based on an anticipation of where the NBA salary cap might land. While we came close, we weren’t able to land an additional star player to our lineup. So we then moved swiftly and smartly to execute the remaining parts of our plan and add to our returning core. We were prepared and executed according to plan based on how we modeled multiple scenarios.

If this counts as executing "according to the plan," I gotta start questioning the plan.

He very subtly acknowledges failing to land Durant or Horford while defining (after the fact) the remainder of their offseason acquisition plan, which coincidentally matches to the letter what they did. Except for landing the superstar they had been planning for, saving for, hoping for, depending on, the offseason was a smashing success, and they are geniuses.

Ted's 'Stake

PS: Pine unambiguously characterized the Nicholson signing as a flop.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#305 » by payitforward » Sun May 12, 2019 7:20 pm

Monte -- I didn't mean to suggest that I was the only one to condemn the Nicholson signing immediately. That would have been unlikely, since it had "brain dead" written all over it.

In fact, over all, I can't think of a single instance of discussion here where I was the only one who was right! & I can think of some discussions where I was incorrect. As I've written here repeatedly, if you're not willing to be wrong some of the time you'll not going be right very often about anything important.

What surprised me about the Nicholson discussion back then was that anybody thought it was a positive move!
DaRealHibachi
Veteran
And1: 173

Post#306 » by DaRealHibachi » Wed May 15, 2019 12:17 pm

Wow, I've been visiting the Current Affairs board pretty much daily and I didn't even know about the Ernie firing until I read about the Troy Weaver interview today and thinking to myself: "Is this some obscure player I didn't know about?" and clicking on it by chance..

Goes to show how much I was out of the loop with this team.. Is there anything else I missed except for the Wall injury?? :dontknow: :lol:

Anyway, glad to see that stinking sack of balls out of town!!! Wiz fans can be hopeful again!! :rocking: :rocking: :rocking:
:beer: Magnumt
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,156

Post#307 » by AFM » Wed May 15, 2019 2:37 pm

payitforward wrote:
tontoz wrote:

Nah... I paid him off!

I love you bro
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#308 » by FAH1223 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:46 pm

Well, Tommy did run the draft in an un-Grunfeldian fashion

What was Grunfeldian was locking into a pick
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,054

Post#309 » by queridiculo » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:49 am

FAH1223 wrote:Well, Tommy did run the draft in an un-Grunfeldian fashion

Wait, doesn't it seem like that's precisely what Sheppard did, lock into that pick?
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#310 » by FAH1223 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:40 pm

queridiculo wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:Well, Tommy did run the draft in an un-Grunfeldian fashion

Wait, doesn't it seem like that's precisely what Sheppard did, lock into that pick?

Yes

Grunfeldian: Locking in on a pick.

UnGrunfeldian: Buying a 2nd rounder, using it, and then signing like 3 UDFAs immediately.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Post#311 » by closg00 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:52 pm

Return to Washington Wizards