ImageImageImageImageImage

GT #82 Celtics @ Wizards 7:00 PM

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Re: GT #82 Celtics @ Wizards 7:00 PM 

Post#41 » by pcbothwel » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:16 am

mhd wrote:I think this is a 5 player draft in terms of all-star potential players:

1) Zion
2) Morant
3) Barrett
4) Bol
5) Garland

There is a huge chasm after that.

Agreed... I could see Bol AND/OR Garland available at 6 if some team gets overexcited about Reddish, Culver, or Hunter.
trast66
Rookie
And1: 614

Post#42 » by trast66 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:24 am

Agree with above on Dekker, I know we have to pay somebody the minimum, but Dekker has proved he is not an NBA player.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#43 » by nate33 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:48 am

Dallas is tanking shamelessly in the 4th quarter. They led Phoenix by 30 at halftime. Now, the lead is 3.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#44 » by Illmatic12 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:49 am

Wtf is Dallas doing ? It’s Dirks swan song, have some goddamn pride !

Edit: Luka Doncic I love you . Give him ROY for the next 10 seasons
Mojo Amok
Pro Prospect
And1: 834

Post#45 » by Mojo Amok » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:51 am

Jamal Crawford is absolutely on fire, though. I don't think that Dallas is really tanking so much as Crawford is just unstoppable right now.
Mojo Amok
Pro Prospect
And1: 834

Post#46 » by Mojo Amok » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:51 am

Double post
Jay81
Starter
And1: 480

Post#47 » by Jay81 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:00 am

51 for Crawford at age 39 woah

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#48 » by 80sballboy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:09 am

So Mavs win and it comes down to Memphis/Golden State tomorrow for the sixth slot.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#49 » by Dat2U » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:54 am

pcbothwel wrote:
mhd wrote:I think this is a 5 player draft in terms of all-star potential players:

1) Zion
2) Morant
3) Barrett
4) Bol
5) Garland

Agreed... I could see Bol AND/OR Garland available at 6 if some team gets overexcited about Reddish, Culver, or Hunter.

I agree with that five in terms of pure talent. I'm not 100% confident about my order after the first two.

I do think Bol is the 3rd best talent but I would trade down for him instead of drafting him 3rd.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#50 » by BigA » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:02 pm

80sballboy wrote:So Mavs win and it comes down to Memphis/Golden State tomorrow for the sixth slot.

Wizards have kept a strong tank hand to close out the season.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,362

Post#51 » by doclinkin » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:07 pm

1) Zion
2) Morant
3) Barrett
4) Bol
5) Garland

I'd agree with this though I'm iffy on Bol. And haven't finished digging into the Euro players.

EDIT. What Dat said. Bol is risky and the iffy attitude means I want more insurance if he is eh. Especially if I can get future lotto picks.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#52 » by pcbothwel » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:45 pm

doclinkin wrote:

1) Zion
2) Morant
3) Barrett
4) Bol
5) Garland

I'd agree with this though I'm iffy on Bol. And haven't finished digging into the Euro players.

EDIT. What Dat said. Bol is risky and the iffy attitude means I want more insurance if he is eh. Especially if I can get future lotto picks.

Doc... My issue is this. Bol has about a 75% chance of being a Myles Turner/Porzingis caliber player, and a 10-20% chance of being Dirk-Lite (I stress Lite). That to me is far better than the 90% chance that Hunter becomes Covington.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#53 » by Ruzious » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:14 pm

pcbothwel wrote:

1) Zion
2) Morant
3) Barrett
4) Bol
5) Garland

Exactly what I'm thinking - though I won't be too disappointed if we end up with Hunter.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by Ruzious » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:29 pm

Dat2U wrote:I've wanted that 6th best odds for the longest. Zion was born on the 6th. He is a 6 life path according to numerology.

Based on Vedic Astrology, Zion was born in 2000, a Dragon Year. The Wizards were founded in 1961 an Ox year. Dragons and Oxes are best friends and have complimentary energy so this would be a good spot for Zion to land.

There's a very strong chance whoever lands the 6th pick will move up. Memphis may move up anyway. The Grizzlies were founded in a pig year in 1995. We are currently in a pig year

Hmm, I'm an Ox and a Gemini - born in the month of the draft - on the 6th day of the 6th month. Eh, I'd get them the 6th pick - I'll stay away from the lottery.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by Ruzious » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:32 pm

I'm pretty sure Devin Robinson IS... Kelly Oubre - just with a very bad hair stylist and not pretending to have a 3 point shot. Actually, Robinson seemed to have one in the G League. He's done a nice job with the Wiz and certainly moved ahead of Dekker as someone who should be on next season's Wiz roster.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,035

Post#56 » by daoneandonly » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:54 pm

Ruzious wrote:I'm pretty sure Devin Robinson IS... Kelly Oubre - just with a very bad hair stylist and not pretending to have a 3 point shot. Actually, Robinson seemed to have one in the G League. He's done a nice job with the Wiz and certainly moved ahead of Dekker as someone who should be on next season's Wiz roster.

I was watching the game with my dad and he actually thought Oubre was back
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,035

Post#57 » by daoneandonly » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:55 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
doclinkin wrote:

1) Zion
2) Morant
3) Barrett
4) Bol
5) Garland

Doc... My issue is this. Bol has about a 75% chance of being a Myles Turner/Porzingis caliber player, and a 10-20% chance of being Dirk-Lite (I stress Lite). That to me is far better than the 90% chance that Hunter becomes Covington.

Not saying it will happen, but what if we becomes Kawhi-lite?
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,362

Post#58 » by doclinkin » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:00 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
doclinkin wrote:

1) Zion
2) Morant
3) Barrett
4) Bol
5) Garland

My issue is this: whatever your actuarial table on those offensive talent percentages, from what I have seen he is lazy on defense and lacks the will to move his feet.

Bol looks good on highlights. He's remarkably skilled on offense for his size, but for his build he would need to be a heads up defender to make up for his relative lack of quick twitch speed on defense.

He reaches instead. His reach is fine against smaller players, and everyone to him is a smaller player, but in the NBA he will earn bench time from fouls and expose his teammates to fouls if he can't smarten up. And he will have three second rule issues adjusting to the NBA. The NBA has become a finesse league, you can't just stand and swipe at players like Kong on the Empire State Building against airplanes (or use a better metaphor) you have to be a single unit on defense with everybody part of the team. There is a reason Thon Maker (similarly skilled face up big and fellow Sudanese guy with a similar body) has not been able to stick with a team or find a role, he is a step slow in a switchy defense era. But Thon at least tries all the time, chasing after the play. In the little that I have seen of him, If he is not involved Bol tends to stand still and watch his team do everything else. Like a 7'3" version of the injured John Wall.

All of that would be fine if he is coachable, eager to improve, has internal motor. But rumors say he has already fought with his coach, and is a bit of a prima donna. So the learning curve may be steep for him. And he starts out injured, where you already have to work double hard to rehab and regain your fitness and energy.

So. To me, whatever percentage impressed you are with his highlights, understand you're trying to build a team. I like him okay as an upside prospect. Never seen a longbones type with that advanced offensve skill set, I just have questions about his effect on the team and would like assets to offset the risk.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by Ruzious » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:17 pm

doclinkin wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:
doclinkin wrote:

My issue is this: whatever your actuarial table on those offensive talent percentages, from what I have seen he is lazy on defense and lacks the will to move his feet.

Bol looks good on highlights. He's remarkably skilled on offense for his size, but for his build he would need to be a heads up defender to make up for his relative lack of quick twitch speed on defense.

He reaches instead. His reach is fine against smaller players, and everyone to him is a smaller player, but in the NBA he will earn bench time from fouls and expose his teammates to fouls if he can't smarten up. And he will have three second rule issues adjusting to the NBA. The NBA has become a finesse league, you can't just stand and swipe at players like Kong on the Empire State Building against airplanes (or use a better metaphor) you have to be a single unit on defense with everybody part of the team. There is a reason Thon Maker (similarly skilled face up big and fellow Sudanese guy with a similar body) has not been able to stick with a team or find a role, he is a step slow in a switchy defense era. But Thon at least tries all the time, chasing after the play. In the little that I have seen of him, If he is not involved Bol tends to stand still and watch his team do everything else. Like a 7'3" version of the injured John Wall.

All of that would be fine if he is coachable, eager to improve, has internal motor. But rumors say he has already fought with his coach, and is a bit of a prima donna. So the learning curve may be steep for him. And he starts out injured, where you already have to work double hard to rehab and regain your fitness and energy.

So. To me, whatever percentage impressed you are with his highlights, understand you're trying to build a team. I like him okay as an upside prospect. Never seen a longbones type with that advanced offensve skill set, I just have questions about his effect on the team and would like assets to offset the risk.

So, at Oregon was he a duck or a dic...hotomy of great offensive talent and very real weaknesses that need to be hidden (or exposed). Here's a link to an article that makes a nice effort delving into the issues with him. https://www.si.com/nba/2018/11/19/nba-draft-2019-bol-bol-oregon-deconstructing-unicorn-gamble

Return to Washington Wizards