Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Re: Wizards 2019 Draft Thread - Part II 

Post#1421 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:16 pm

payitforward wrote:
AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:
nate33 wrote:We don't yet know the nature of the commitment. The only article I read was that he was signed to a contract "with guarantees".

That might just be something like a vet minimum deal with team options on year 2 and year 3, but $250,000 of year 1 is guaranteed even if he gets cut.

That gives Robinson a rationale to sign this early rather than try out for multiple other teams. Meanwhile, if he pans out, the Wizards lock in the cheapest salary possible for the longest period possible.

...from a 'shoring up an area of weakness from last season' standpoint, I don't see it as the most impactful signing that the Wizards' could have made; Robinson doesn't look overly-committed to playing great defense, and I thought getting better at defending the perimeter (especially from the bench), was a very, big necessity heading into next season....

First comes the draft, then you try to find someone undrafted -- but it doesn't end there!

Did you have your eye on someone undrafted that you think we missed on?

Shamorie Ponds, for sure. I don't know if the steals translate to the NBA, but why not give him a shot at PG; he's a proven scorer, with a high steals rate while at St. John's. I think the Wizards' missed if they didn't extend him the opportunity to tryout with them over the summer.

I like Armoni Brooks though, from what I've seen on him.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1422 » by Ruzious » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:16 pm

AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:
nate33 wrote:
AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:Signing him to a three-year deal, feels like something of a commitment to him; I don't feel like he's just another camp body.

We don't yet know the nature of the commitment. The only article I read was that he was signed to a contract "with guarantees".

That might just be something like a vet minimum deal with team options on year 2 and year 3, but $250,000 of year 1 is guaranteed even if he gets cut.

That gives Robinson a rationale to sign this early rather than try out for multiple other teams. Meanwhile, if he pans out, the Wizards lock in the cheapest salary possible for the longest period possible.

That would be the easiest 250K one could make, if what you laid out is accurate, and he didn't stick.

I hear you, and it makes sense from a 'locking down services' standpoint, but from a 'shoring up an area of weakness from last season' standpoint, I don't see it as the most impactful signing that the Wizards' could have made; Robinson doesn't look overly-committed to playing great defense, and I thought getting better at defending the perimeter (especially from the bench), was a very, big necessity heading into next season.

At the moment, I'm a little concerned about the philosophy the team will be heading into the season playing under, not having addressed the defense, with proven defenders---veteran or otherwise.

Put in perspective - $250k is less than 0.2% of the cap. Even if they hypothetically guaranteed $1 mil over 3 years, that's not saying we expect this guy to be a rotation player.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,970

Post#1423 » by DCZards » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:21 pm

Dat2U wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:David Aldridge says Sekou would have been picked if Rui wasn't there at #9.

This confirms Shep has alot of Ernie in him. Note he focused on two players with best physical traits and perceived upside at a position of need. He wasn't focused on getting the best basketball "player".

It's the motto of drafting raw talent with the idea that you can coach em up.

Problem is spacial awareness, feel is more innate than a learned trait so you tend to waste assets and resources on these types.

This doesn’t mean that Shep was only focused on Rui and Sekou. Probably means that he expected 1 of those 2 to be there at 9.

He likely would have drafted Garland...maybe even White, if they were available at 9.
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#1424 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:24 pm

Ruzious wrote:
AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:
nate33 wrote:We don't yet know the nature of the commitment. The only article I read was that he was signed to a contract "with guarantees".

That would be the easiest 250K one could make, if what you laid out is accurate, and he didn't stick.

I hear you, and it makes sense from a 'locking down services' standpoint, but from a 'shoring up an area of weakness from last season' standpoint, I don't see it as the most impactful signing that the Wizards' could have made; Robinson doesn't look overly-committed to playing great defense, and I thought getting better at defending the perimeter (especially from the bench), was a very, big necessity heading into next season.

At the moment, I'm a little concerned about the philosophy the team will be heading into the season playing under, not having addressed the defense, with proven defenders---veteran or otherwise.

Put in perspective - $250k is less than 0.2% of the cap. Even if they hypothetically guaranteed $1 mil over 3 years, that's not saying we expect this guy to be a rotation player.

My biggest issue isn't the money given to him, it's the gut feeling that he isn't the type of PG---given our well-known weaknesses---that the Wizards' should have targeted in the first place.

Just my take.

I hope I'm proven wrong, because then that would mean the team has a faster PG, with scoring potential, who also gives an honest effort on defense.
DCZards
General Manager

Post#1425 » by DCZards » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:35 pm

AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:
payitforward wrote:
AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:...from a 'shoring up an area of weakness from last season' standpoint, I don't see it as the most impactful signing that the Wizards' could have made; Robinson doesn't look overly-committed to playing great defense, and I thought getting better at defending the perimeter (especially from the bench), was a very, big necessity heading into next season....

First comes the draft, then you try to find someone undrafted -- but it doesn't end there!

Did you have your eye on someone undrafted that you think we missed on?

Shamorie Ponds, for sure. I don't know if the steals translate to the NBA, but why not give him a shot at PG; he's a proven scorer, with a high steals rate while at St. John's. I think the Wizards' missed if they didn't extend him the opportunity to tryout with them over the summer.

I like Armoni Brooks though, from what I've seen on him.

Ponds was on my short list as well. Probably because I watch a lot of Big East basketball. He's a good steal guy but he's smallish and not much of a man-to-man defender. I definitely don't see him as the kind of great perimeter defender that you're talking about.

But help is on the way! While maybe not a lockdown defender, Schofield is a willing and determined defender who can probably guard 2-3 positions. The "new" Admiral has the toughness, motor and physical tools to someday be a great defender.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1426 » by Ruzious » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:35 pm

AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:

My biggest issue isn't the money given to him, it's the gut feeling that he isn't the type of PG---given our well-known weaknesses---that the Wizards' should have targeted in the first place.

Just my take.

I hope I'm proven wrong, because then that would mean the team has a faster PG, with scoring potential, who also gives an honest effort on defense.

Yeah, I think they probably were looking for a different type of PG than Ponds - he's much more scorer than a guy who's going to set up teammates, but probably overall they just figured Robinson was a better all-around player who can make 3's and has a little stronger build for the NBA and has a better flair for passing. Ponds was a relatively poor 3 point shooter - making 33% for his college career. Just my dos centavos.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#1427 » by Dat2U » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:00 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:David Aldridge says Sekou would have been picked if Rui wasn't there at #9.

This confirms Shep has alot of Ernie in him. Note he focused on two players with best physical traits and perceived upside at a position of need. He wasn't focused on getting the best basketball "player".

Problem is spacial awareness, feel is more innate than a learned trait so you tend to waste assets and resources on these types.

It's hard to come to that conclusion when you look at the 10th pick. Reddish was regarded as physically superior to Rui, and the Wiz have a big need for a 3. And Rui's not a great athlete - certainly less so than Sekou. You're looking for something that's just not there.

I remember reading that they had statistical models in place to weed out guys who they shouldn't consider. I would assume that would eliminate Reddish just based on his numbers.

Rui is absolute a physical speciman. He definitely looks the part even if laterally he isn't special.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#1428 » by Dat2U » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:02 pm

DCZards wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

This doesn’t mean that Shep was only focused on Rui and Sekou. Probably means that he expected 1 of those 2 to be there at 9.

He likely would have drafted Garland...maybe even White, if they were available at 9.

Rui was 4th on his board so probably not.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1429 » by Ruzious » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:07 pm

Dat2U wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

It's hard to come to that conclusion when you look at the 10th pick. Reddish was regarded as physically superior to Rui, and the Wiz have a big need for a 3. And Rui's not a great athlete - certainly less so than Sekou. You're looking for something that's just not there.

I remember reading that they had statistical models in place to weed out guys who they shouldn't consider. I would assume that would eliminate Reddish just based on his numbers.

Rui is absolute a physical speciman. He definitely looks the part even if laterally he isn't special.

Rui's a physical specimin in the fact that's he's worked to get his body in peak physical condition - dude does not get tired at the end of games. But he's not a great athlete - he's not super-quick. Clarke's a great athlete. Rui's a guy who's going to be real solid and does not have a very high ceiling, imo.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,345

Post#1430 » by doclinkin » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:19 pm

I like Robinson has a jumpstart for summer league. We find it useful in this setting to make sure you have a guy who can get everyone in the team involved. It’s nice to get a rolling start on your NBA career with some success on the catch and finish, etc. Robinson has a flair for passing , And and attack mentality in setting up his guys and making them look good. I will be curious to see what parts of his game to translate, he reminds me of playgrounds magicians like racer skip to my Lou Alston. Who knows what the guarantees are, or the various options on the contract, but I assume he comes cheap regardless. We do need bodies, and until we have a healthy all star at the position, point guard is opposition of need
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#1431 » by doclinkin » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:20 pm

Voice to text. I’ll edit it later if necessary
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#1432 » by WizarDynasty » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:33 am

Most of younguys are same ones who believed otto porter was better than giannis or steven adams.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#1433 » by truwizfan4evr » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:45 am

WizarDynasty wrote:Most of younguys are same ones who believed otto porter was better than giannis or steven adams.

I would take otto over steven Adams any day.
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,350

Post#1434 » by Kanyewest » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:07 pm

Dat2U wrote:

I guess most of the board thinks like Ernie according to you according to this poll :)

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1852452
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#1435 » by doclinkin » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:41 pm

On Justin Robinson: Given that he is a likely 2-way player he seems like a good fit to captain the GoGo and bring a positive culture to that squad. You know me, I want our G team to teach fundamentals and hustle and love of the game. I'm curious to see him in the Summer games.

Buzz Williams, who coached Robinson all four seasons before taking the Texas A&M job earlier this month, often credited the kid he called “Five” with leading the team.

“He has a very high basketball IQ, but he’s also very intelligent off the floor,” Williams said during the season. “I think his EQ is as good as any kid that I’ve ever coached. He has a very high emotional intelligence. Like, he understands people.

“He knows when to speak. He knows when not to speak, knows when to give dap, knows when to give a hug, knows when it should be funny (and) when it shouldn’t be funny. … I think in this generation, kids with a high EQ are more uncommon, and when you can have one that has a high EQ and he’s your quarterback, that’s a special combination.”

Opposing coaches were just as effusive.

“He’s the best point guard in the country at finding the guy (and) hitting him at the right time,” Boston College coach Jim Christian said in January. “They’re the leading 3-point shooting team in the country because of one guy.

“They have great shooters, (but) it’s not the shooter. It’s the one guy who’s orchestrating that thing, and that’s Justin Robinson.”

More from the PIT
DCZards
General Manager

Post#1436 » by DCZards » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:09 pm

^^^^^From the film I've watched on Justin Robinson I've been especially impressed with his passing. He's almost Wallesque in the way that he seems to find open teammates.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#1437 » by payitforward » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:16 pm

truwizfan4evr wrote:
WizarDynasty wrote:Most of younguys are same ones who believed otto porter was better than giannis or steven adams.

Hey, WizarDynasty -- why don't you link to a post around those 2 drafts in which you said that either of those two players was better than Otto Porter.

Can't do it, can you? I guess that's b/c you never said anything like that.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#1438 » by payitforward » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:31 pm

DCZards wrote:^^^^^From the film I've watched on Justin Robinson I've been especially impressed with his passing. He's almost Wallesque in the way that he seems to find open teammates.

I hope we won't lay expectations on this young man that he has no chance whatever to fulfill -- he averaged 6.8 assists per 40 minutes last year.. I hope he can play at some NBA level, any NBA level.

Which doesn't mean he won't blow us all out of the water by being great. Just that nothing indicates that as likely.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,304

Post#1439 » by nate33 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:50 pm

payitforward wrote:
truwizfan4evr wrote:

Hey, WizarDynasty -- why don't you link to a post around those 2 drafts in which you said that either of those two players was better than Otto Porter.

Can't do it, can you? I guess that's b/c you never said anything like that.

WizarDynasty was definitely beating the drum on Steven Adams. I don't remember him saying anything about Giannis.
DCZards
General Manager

Post#1440 » by DCZards » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:51 pm

payitforward wrote:
DCZards wrote:^^^^^From the film I've watched on Justin Robinson I've been especially impressed with his passing. He's almost Wallesque in the way that he seems to find open teammates.

Well... :)

I hope we won't lay expectations on this young man that he has no chance whatever to fulfill -- he averaged 6.8 assists per 40 minutes last year.. I hope he can play at some NBA level, any NBA level.

Which doesn't mean he won't blow us all out of the water by being great. Just that nothing indicates that as likely.

It's not Robinson's numbers it's his vision that I'm most impressed by. But 6.8 ain't bad for college.

But I agree that expectations have to be kept in check...at least for the time being. :)

Return to Washington Wizards