ImageImageImageImageImage

Political Roundtable Part XXVI

Moderators: LyricalRico, montestewart, nate33

Pointgod
General Manager
Posts: 8,140
And1: 7,838
Joined: Jun 28, 2014

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1921 » by Pointgod » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:51 pm

pancakes3 wrote:there's no picking sides on this one. both are in the wrong. there used to be a time where voters complained about politicians across the board. now there's an instinct to pick sides when politicians squabble between themselves.

clinton is irrelevant and 1% gabbard is too. why even pay them any mind? even if gabbard was a russian asset, they backed a dud of a candidate. who cares? let the watchdogs monitor the situation, life's too short.


I’m going with Clinton on this one. The woman ran the State department and obviously knows what she’s talking about. She’s rightly called out Trump being Putin’s puppet and warned about a lot of things that would happen if Trump was elected.

Gabbard is what the Russians would call a useful idiot. She doesn’t have to be a witting collaborator to still be a Russian asset. Her own arrogance and belief she’s always right is exactly what Putin wants. Throw bombs at the DNC (check), blame Democrats for Trump’s Syria mess (check), claim mainstream media conspiracies about her (check) and the list goes on. It has nothing to do with Gabbard winning but everything to do with creating doubt with voters and poisoning American politics
User avatar
doclinkin
General Manager
Posts: 9,470
And1: 1,636
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: .wizuds.

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1922 » by doclinkin » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:57 pm

Wizardspride wrote:She wasn't wrong......

Read on Twitter
?s=19


Yep. I'd take her as SecState again. She's a hawk but knows where the political danger zones are. Though naturally that might make many minds explode. Maybe that's a benefit.
verbal8
General Manager
Posts: 7,954
And1: 1,121
Joined: Jul 20, 2006
Location: Herndon, VA
     

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1923 » by verbal8 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:20 pm

Kanyewest wrote:I wonder if he plans on moving to Russia if things really fall out. Then again, it still feels like congress is moving at a snail like pace that Trump will only be leaving office via an election. Or worst case, finishing out his 2nd term.


Trump moving somewhere without extradition wouldn't surprise me at all.

He doesn't seem to care about appearing corrupt, so Russia wouldn't be too shocking in that scenario.
verbal8
General Manager
Posts: 7,954
And1: 1,121
Joined: Jul 20, 2006
Location: Herndon, VA
     

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1924 » by verbal8 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:42 pm

doclinkin wrote:
dobrojim wrote:
doclinkin wrote:
I think he would skip the country and try to foment civil war if it were headed in that direction. He's not going to go away quietly no matter what.


You raise an interesting possibility re skipping the country. Can you imagine if he were to
skip the country hypothetically say for Moscow in Air Force One?

One wonders what measures might be under consideration by intelligence/law enforcement
now or going forward that would ensure that this could not happen.


With the nuclear football...

That said yeah, um, he can’t actually fly the plane. You’d hope the pilot would simply say no.


Or he could decide to fly it himself and that would be the end of the Trump story.
verbal8
General Manager
Posts: 7,954
And1: 1,121
Joined: Jul 20, 2006
Location: Herndon, VA
     

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1925 » by verbal8 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:20 pm

doclinkin wrote:Yep. I'd take her as SecState again. She's a hawk but knows where the political danger zones are. Though naturally that might make many minds explode. Maybe that's a benefit.


The ultimate troll would be for her to be AG and prosecute all the corruption from the Trump admin.
dobrojim
RealGM
Posts: 13,427
And1: 1,314
Joined: Sep 16, 2004

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1926 » by dobrojim » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:08 pm

And for Barack to replace RBG.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity
User avatar
doclinkin
General Manager
Posts: 9,470
And1: 1,636
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: .wizuds.

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1927 » by doclinkin » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:15 pm

dobrojim wrote:And for Barack to replace RBG.


Oh heck yes, President Chief Justice Obama would be pretty amazing to see.
daoneandonly
General Manager
Posts: 8,477
And1: 1,311
Joined: May 27, 2004
Location: Masalaland
 

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1928 » by daoneandonly » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:08 pm

Pointgod wrote:
gtn130 wrote:
Read on Twitter


Great news for coal miners in Pennsylvania. MAGA!


The corruption is just blatant and out in the open now. They really don’t give a ****. Where’s daoneandonly to tell me that Trump was the most ethical lol


Right here bud, is anyone really surprised or in shock by this? I'm not, this is who he is, and it's a shame. The guy exudes narcissism at an immeasurable rate, only querdi, zonk, and pancake are anywhere near in proximity, rounding out the 4 horsemen of self aggrandizing.

And that's what's sad here my fellow posters, that all we know about this derelict, yet in 2016 he was still more ethical than the others in the general election. Note I didn't say primary, as he was dead last in that regard in the field of 18+ on the Republican side (Kasich is #1 and we would all have been better off if he won, with Bush & Rubio also up there). To your's and gtn's earlier point, yes he has more integrity than the candidate who supposedly is all about women's rights and stands with the lqbtq community, yet her foundation had no problem taking money from the Saudi Kingdom in the 10-25 million range: https://www.clintonfoundation.org/contributors?category=%2410%2C000%2C001+to+%2425%2C000%2C000. If you are truly about those populations, you don't take a cent from a government that treats those two entities like worthless trash. Or another population she "cared so much for", she tugged at our heart strings with this ad: ,

yet doesn't give 2 feces about kids in the womb, she's a 2 face hypocrite. Same for the good doctor who supposedly took the Hippocratic oath to first do no harm, yet supports the very act of ultimate harm. Perhaps you can argue Gary Johnson is more ethical than Trump, but he's as dumb as I am (and we all know how dumb that is), not to mention he'd probably be high 87% of the time, but as pancake will say, not his fault, its because the stupid war on drugs, not the person using the drug.
Wizardspride
RealGM
Posts: 11,758
And1: 5,645
Joined: Nov 05, 2004
Location: Olney, MD/Kailua/Kaneohe, HI
Contact:
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1930 » by Wizardspride » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:00 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
McCabe explains that Trump believed Putin over US intel about NK missiles: "Intel officials [told Trump his position] was not consistent with any of the intel our govt possesses. To which POTUS replied, 'I don't care. I believe Putin.'"
JWizmentality
RealGM
Posts: 13,505
And1: 4,508
Joined: Nov 21, 2004
Location: Cosmic Totality
   

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1931 » by JWizmentality » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:10 pm

Bernie/Warren ticket FTW!!! :rocking:
Wizardspride
RealGM
Posts: 11,758
And1: 5,645
Joined: Nov 05, 2004
Location: Olney, MD/Kailua/Kaneohe, HI
Contact:
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1932 » by Wizardspride » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:01 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
McCabe explains that Trump believed Putin over US intel about NK missiles: "Intel officials [told Trump his position] was not consistent with any of the intel our govt possesses. To which POTUS replied, 'I don't care. I believe Putin.'"
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 38,636
And1: 5,593
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1933 » by Ruzious » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:16 pm

daoneandonly wrote:https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/romney-and-graham-leave-the-door-open-to-voting-to-remove-trump-if-impeachment-passes/ar-AAJ67ah?li=BBnb7Kz

I wouldn't trust Graham as far as I could throw him. Remember, he was Trump's biggest critic in the Republican primaries. I've never seen anyone do an instantaneously complete turnaround the day Graham played golf with Trump. After the House impeaches Trump, I expect Graham to do something designed to keep Trump in office.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
daoneandonly
General Manager
Posts: 8,477
And1: 1,311
Joined: May 27, 2004
Location: Masalaland
 

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1934 » by daoneandonly » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:23 pm

Ruzious wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/romney-and-graham-leave-the-door-open-to-voting-to-remove-trump-if-impeachment-passes/ar-AAJ67ah?li=BBnb7Kz

I wouldn't trust Graham as far as I could throw him. Remember, he was Trump's biggest critic in the Republican primaries. I've never seen anyone do an instantaneously complete turnaround the day Graham played golf with Trump. After the House impeaches Trump, I expect Graham to do something designed to keep Trump in office.


Yeah I can understand the skepticism, I lost some respect for him after he kind of became a yes man, but perhaps he can undo some of that by doing the right thing here. Those who truly want to see the Republican party move forward in the right direction will want to remove Trump and cut ties with him. he did what we needed, he put 2 judges on the SCOTUS, his services are no longer needed. it's time to rally behind a real conservative, a Pence, a Kasich, a Rubio, or my personal preference Paul Ryan, etc.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
Posts: 27,450
And1: 5,096
Joined: Jul 12, 2003
Location: Boardman gets paid!

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1935 » by I_Like_Dirt » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:53 pm

dckingsfan wrote:Wednesday, Thursday, Friday Polls in their respective orders. Interesting jump for Buttigieg - if he jumps Sanders, I think it puts a lot of pressure on Biden. In the mean-time Warren seems to have stalled a bit.

Code: Select all

                Economist     Emerson     Politico     
Warren                 28          23           21
Biden                  25          23           31
Sanders                13          13           18
Buttigieg               7          16            6
Harris                  5           2            7
Yang                    2           5            3
Booker                  1           3            2
Kobuchar                2           1            2
Gabbard                 3           2            1
O'Rourke                2           0            2
Bennet                  1           1            1
Styeyer                 1           2            2
Castro                  0           0            1



Biden is done. So is Bernie. So many fascinating trends in general. I think we're seeing a microcosm of the Democratic Party responding to Hillary the same way America as a whole responded to Obama. Obama was president and there was a wave of racism backlash. Hillary was the Democratic nominee and now we're seeing a bunch of voters who don't really feel like supporting a woman at this point. Biden and Bernie were never the best candidates for their strengths and they had a disproportionate amount of support relative other established names like Harris and Warren. Harris' team seemed to be cannibalized a bit from behind and she never really got off the ground.

Warren at least rose above Sanders but even now those voters jumping from Sanders aren't necessarily all jumping to Warren. Some are but others are weirdly going to Biden, even, which makes no sense from a policy standpoint unless you view it through the lens of preferring a male candidate.

It's interesting to see the jump a bit as the Democratic party tries one kind of underrepresented group, gets pushback, and then tries another. I'm left wondering if there wouldn't be pushback against LGBTQ were Buttigieg to be the candidate. I don't like him on the environment quite as much as Warren but while I don't like the forces I'm seeing play out here, I'm happy he's been the beneficiary so far. He would legitimately make for a very strong candidate.
Bucket! Bucket!
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 38,636
And1: 5,593
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1936 » by Ruzious » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:03 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/romney-and-graham-leave-the-door-open-to-voting-to-remove-trump-if-impeachment-passes/ar-AAJ67ah?li=BBnb7Kz

I wouldn't trust Graham as far as I could throw him. Remember, he was Trump's biggest critic in the Republican primaries. I've never seen anyone do an instantaneously complete turnaround the day Graham played golf with Trump. After the House impeaches Trump, I expect Graham to do something designed to keep Trump in office.


Yeah I can understand the skepticism, I lost some respect for him after he kind of became a yes man, but perhaps he can undo some of that by doing the right thing here. Those who truly want to see the Republican party move forward in the right direction will want to remove Trump and cut ties with him. he did what we needed, he put 2 judges on the SCOTUS, his services are no longer needed. it's time to rally behind a real conservative, a Pence, a Kasich, a Rubio, or my personal preference Paul Ryan, etc.

I think Ryan could be the future of the party - he's probably the best pure politician of the group, but there are 2 things wrong with him as a political force: 1 is that he quit rather than fought. He showed some signs of being willing to fight when Trump got out of hand, but he never really showed the guts to stand up to him for any extended period, and when the going got tough - he allowed scum like Nunez to have their way. 2. He built a reputation as a policy expert, but he often appeared to be a phony n that regard. He was Chairman of the Ways & Means Committee but was not regarded highly by tax professionals. His ideas for balancing the budget were destroyed by think tanks, and there never seemed to be any substance to his arguments. He was a smart politician, but was too often too much fluff and too little substance.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
dckingsfan
RealGM
Posts: 15,908
And1: 3,651
Joined: May 28, 2010

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1937 » by dckingsfan » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:13 pm

I_Like_Dirt wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Wednesday, Thursday, Friday Polls in their respective orders. Interesting jump for Buttigieg - if he jumps Sanders, I think it puts a lot of pressure on Biden. In the mean-time Warren seems to have stalled a bit.

Code: Select all

                Economist     Emerson     Politico     
Warren                 28          23           21
Biden                  25          23           31
Sanders                13          13           18
Buttigieg               7          16            6
Harris                  5           2            7
Yang                    2           5            3
Booker                  1           3            2
Kobuchar                2           1            2
Gabbard                 3           2            1
O'Rourke                2           0            2
Bennet                  1           1            1
Styeyer                 1           2            2
Castro                  0           0            1



Biden is done. So is Bernie. So many fascinating trends in general. I think we're seeing a microcosm of the Democratic Party responding to Hillary the same way America as a whole responded to Obama. Obama was president and there was a wave of racism backlash. Hillary was the Democratic nominee and now we're seeing a bunch of voters who don't really feel like supporting a woman at this point. Biden and Bernie were never the best candidates for their strengths and they had a disproportionate amount of support relative other established names like Harris and Warren. Harris' team seemed to be cannibalized a bit from behind and she never really got off the ground.

Warren at least rose above Sanders but even now those voters jumping from Sanders aren't necessarily all jumping to Warren. Some are but others are weirdly going to Biden, even, which makes no sense from a policy standpoint unless you view it through the lens of preferring a male candidate.

It's interesting to see the jump a bit as the Democratic party tries one kind of underrepresented group, gets pushback, and then tries another. I'm left wondering if there wouldn't be pushback against LGBTQ were Buttigieg to be the candidate. I don't like him on the environment quite as much as Warren but while I don't like the forces I'm seeing play out here, I'm happy he's been the beneficiary so far. He would legitimately make for a very strong candidate.

And then this...I didn't see a Buttigieg surge like this. Wondering if it came mostly from Biden supporters?

Iowa Democratic Presidential Caucus
USA Today/Suffolk

Biden 18
Warren 17
Buttigieg 13
Sanders 9
Harris 3
Steyer 3
Gabbard 3
Klobuchar 3
Yang 1
Booker 1
Bullock 0
O'Rourke 1
Bennet 0
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 38,636
And1: 5,593
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1938 » by Ruzious » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:33 pm

Biden is definitely not done. Warren is too far left to run away with anything, and with all of her specifics in what she'd do, her complete failure to come up with a realistic way to balance a budget is going to be her undoing unless she comes up with a much better answer. As much as some folks make assumptions about Biden, he's the most likely to win it. I'm not surprised that Buttigieg is moving up, because Warren and Sanders have huge holes as potential candidates in the general election - not just that no conservative would vote for them - no centrist wants to vote for them - and because people love to take shots at Biden.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
JWizmentality
RealGM
Posts: 13,505
And1: 4,508
Joined: Nov 21, 2004
Location: Cosmic Totality
   

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1939 » by JWizmentality » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:38 pm

Ruzious wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I wouldn't trust Graham as far as I could throw him. Remember, he was Trump's biggest critic in the Republican primaries. I've never seen anyone do an instantaneously complete turnaround the day Graham played golf with Trump. After the House impeaches Trump, I expect Graham to do something designed to keep Trump in office.


Yeah I can understand the skepticism, I lost some respect for him after he kind of became a yes man, but perhaps he can undo some of that by doing the right thing here. Those who truly want to see the Republican party move forward in the right direction will want to remove Trump and cut ties with him. he did what we needed, he put 2 judges on the SCOTUS, his services are no longer needed. it's time to rally behind a real conservative, a Pence, a Kasich, a Rubio, or my personal preference Paul Ryan, etc.

I think Ryan could be the future of the party - he's probably the best pure politician of the group, but there are 2 things wrong with him as a political force: 1 is that he quit rather than fought. He showed some signs of being willing to fight when Trump got out of hand, but he never really showed the guts to stand up to him for any extended period, and when the going got tough - he allowed scum like Nunez to have their way. 2. He built a reputation as a policy expert, but he often appeared to be a phony n that regard. He was Chairman of the Ways & Means Committee but was not regarded highly by tax professionals. His ideas for balancing the budget were destroyed by think tanks, and there never seemed to be any substance to his arguments. He was a smart politician, but was too often too much fluff and too little substance.


Ryan, Pence, Rubio are all weak spined hypocrites. No substance to any of them. Kasich is the only one that has been consistent.
User avatar
pancakes3
General Manager
Posts: 7,849
And1: 1,220
Joined: Jul 27, 2003
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1940 » by pancakes3 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:53 pm

the litmus test for passable conservative is on climate change. anyone who denies it cannot be voted for.

the conversation between R's and D's used to be on how to address climate change: free market solution (cap and trade) or government intervention (regulations). the ideological difference comes in the role that Government plays in addressing problems, not in disagreeing on the existence of a problem.

and yeah, Ryan is a dummy despite pumping himself up as a wonk. any grown man who says his favorite book is Atlas Shrugged is a dummy per se.
Bullets -> Wizards

Return to Washington Wizards