ImageImageImageImageImage

Political Roundtable Part XXVI

Moderators: nate33, LyricalRico, montestewart

I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
Posts: 27,477
And1: 5,107
Joined: Jul 12, 2003
Location: Boardman gets paid!

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1961 » by I_Like_Dirt » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:56 pm

dckingsfan wrote:A trillion here a trillion there - pretty soon it becomes real money. Eh - just ignore it - it will go away.

Image




But won't somebody think about the economy?...


And the costs we're paying now are for failing to take action a couple decades ago when changes would have actually been cheaper. Now change is going to be way more expensive but the costs are going to be exponentially worse down the line if we do nothing.

And of course the immediate response is to point fingers at China for becoming the biggest polluter, ignoring the per capita aspect of the equation... and the fact that all those "lost jobs" that went to China were basically exporting the pollution that comes along with the production of things consumed by America, Europe, Canada, Australia, etc. and are just in large part outsourced pollution from established economies.

The depressingly hypocritical part about all of this is that taking aggressive action now on climate change would actually probably hurt the Chinese economy more over the long haul than tariffs and such because it would remove a lot of the market for goods that aren't environmentally friendly to consume in the quantities developed economies consume them, much of which is produced in China. Moreover, it would also allow for an economic advantage of being first in line with new technologies, which China is desperately trying to do right now despite also taking on the polluting production from other developed economies.

Basically, the only reason not to tackle climate change is fear of change and an unwillingness to take on the added effort and new ideas that change would entail. Instead we're just going to keep racking up the credit card bill and making payments that don't even come close to covering the interest and then explaining why we can't afford anything because of our crippling debt.
Bucket! Bucket!
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 38,692
And1: 5,628
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1962 » by Ruzious » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:58 pm

He is the most 2-faced man in the world. No surprise that shortly after he said he'd consider removing Trump from office, Graham says:

But GOP Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, told reporters that he agrees with the president calling the impeachment probe a “lynching.”

“This is a lynching in every sense,” Graham said, defending the president. “This is un-American.”

Graham said the president’s use of the word in a tweet this morning is “pretty well accurate” in describing what Democrats in Congress are doing to the president by launching an impeachment probe.

“This is a sham, this a joke,” Graham said of the probe.

“I think lynching can be seen as somebody taking the law into their own hands and out to get somebody for no good reason,” Graham said.

“What does lynching mean? When a mob grabs you, they don’t give you a chance to defend yourself. They don’t tell you what happened to you. They just destroy you,” Graham went on.

Nothing he says surprises me anymore, but he does make me sick to my stomach.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
JWizmentality
RealGM
Posts: 13,506
And1: 4,513
Joined: Nov 21, 2004
Location: Cosmic Totality
   

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1963 » by JWizmentality » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:03 pm

Ruzious wrote:He is the most 2-faced man in the world. No surprise that shortly after he said he'd consider removing Trump from office, Graham says:

But GOP Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, told reporters that he agrees with the president calling the impeachment probe a “lynching.”

“This is a lynching in every sense,” Graham said, defending the president. “This is un-American.”

Graham said the president’s use of the word in a tweet this morning is “pretty well accurate” in describing what Democrats in Congress are doing to the president by launching an impeachment probe.

“This is a sham, this a joke,” Graham said of the probe.

“I think lynching can be seen as somebody taking the law into their own hands and out to get somebody for no good reason,” Graham said.

“What does lynching mean? When a mob grabs you, they don’t give you a chance to defend yourself. They don’t tell you what happened to you. They just destroy you,” Graham went on.

Nothing he says surprises me anymore, but he does make me sick to my stomach.


I'm surprised he didn't get called out much when he got prank called. Now he's back to saying how much he loves the Kurds. :lol:
Wizardspride
RealGM
Posts: 11,792
And1: 5,690
Joined: Nov 05, 2004
Location: Olney, MD/Kailua/Kaneohe, HI
Contact:
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1964 » by Wizardspride » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:08 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19



Read on Twitter
?s=19




Read on Twitter
?s=19
McCabe explains that Trump believed Putin over US intel about NK missiles: "Intel officials [told Trump his position] was not consistent with any of the intel our govt possesses. To which POTUS replied, 'I don't care. I believe Putin.'"
User avatar
doclinkin
General Manager
Posts: 9,471
And1: 1,639
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: .wizuds.

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1965 » by doclinkin » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:28 am

Amy Klobuchar would make a fine Attorney General for President Warren.
Wizardspride
RealGM
Posts: 11,792
And1: 5,690
Joined: Nov 05, 2004
Location: Olney, MD/Kailua/Kaneohe, HI
Contact:
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1966 » by Wizardspride » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:21 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
McCabe explains that Trump believed Putin over US intel about NK missiles: "Intel officials [told Trump his position] was not consistent with any of the intel our govt possesses. To which POTUS replied, 'I don't care. I believe Putin.'"
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 38,692
And1: 5,628
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1967 » by Ruzious » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:32 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19



So that's reason number 1,329 to impeach and perhaps the most compelling of them. Anyone defending Trump at this point... I can't begin to understand.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 5,940
And1: 1,779
Joined: Mar 24, 2010
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1968 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:08 pm

What a bunch of out of control lawless thugs Republicans are
daoneandonly - "You just said all cities are liberal. Cities are in states, so how the heck can all cities be liberal but all states arent? because you're full of crap"
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 38,692
And1: 5,628
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1971 » by Ruzious » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:57 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:What a bunch of out of control lawless thugs Republicans are

Anyone who doesn't understand that there was at least an implied quid pro quo simply does not have a functioning brain. Even without it, it would still be an impeachable offense. Again, this is obvious. And yet Republicans are still fighting this. At this point, there's no other option than concluding most Republicans are morons - not just below average - but knuckle dragging morons.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
User avatar
queridiculo
RealGM
Posts: 13,974
And1: 5,377
Joined: Mar 29, 2005
Location: Maximum Pain Zone
   

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1972 » by queridiculo » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:30 pm

How did you manage to screw up this page with a single post :lol:
JWizmentality
RealGM
Posts: 13,506
And1: 4,513
Joined: Nov 21, 2004
Location: Cosmic Totality
   

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1973 » by JWizmentality » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:46 pm



The governors for the state of the top 5 most dangerous cities in the USA are Republican, save for Michigan which has switched between Democratic and Republican control for the past few years.
Wizardspride
RealGM
Posts: 11,792
And1: 5,690
Joined: Nov 05, 2004
Location: Olney, MD/Kailua/Kaneohe, HI
Contact:
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1974 » by Wizardspride » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:54 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
McCabe explains that Trump believed Putin over US intel about NK missiles: "Intel officials [told Trump his position] was not consistent with any of the intel our govt possesses. To which POTUS replied, 'I don't care. I believe Putin.'"
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 12,807
And1: 5,091
Joined: Feb 25, 2009

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1975 » by montestewart » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:51 pm

JWizmentality wrote:


The governors for the state of the top 5 most dangerous cities in the USA are Republican, save for Michigan which has switched between Democratic and Republican control for the past few years.

Oh yeah, don't forget that the country containing the states in which are located those 5 most dangerous cities has a president who is an unintelligible lunatic. That's gotta count for something.
JWizmentality
RealGM
Posts: 13,506
And1: 4,513
Joined: Nov 21, 2004
Location: Cosmic Totality
   

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1976 » by JWizmentality » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:05 am

montestewart wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:


The governors for the state of the top 5 most dangerous cities in the USA are Republican, save for Michigan which has switched between Democratic and Republican control for the past few years.

Oh yeah, don't forget that the country containing the states in which are located those 5 most dangerous cities has a president who is an unintelligible lunatic. That's gotta count for something.


...and the top law enforcement official is Bill Barr. :lol:
User avatar
FAH1223
RealGM
Posts: 10,962
And1: 3,832
Joined: Nov 01, 2005
Location: Laurel, MD
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1977 » by FAH1223 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:13 am

https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2019/10/but-how-are-you-going-to-pay-for-it/
"But How Are You Going to Pay For It?”

KEVIN DRUM
Political Blogger


How much would Medicare for All cost if we made employers pay most of the bill, as they do now? Let’s take a horseback guess.

CMS estimates total health care spending in 2018 of $3.6 trillion.
About 55 percent, or $2 trillion, is covered by private sources, mainly corporations. The rest is already paid for by state and federal governments.
Of this, perhaps 20 percent would be paid by individuals in the form of copays. This is about the average for health care plans in other countries.
The total outlay for employers is therefore $1.6 trillion.
Approximately 112 million people are currently employed in large corporations.
That comes to $14,000 per employed person. Currently, large corporations pay about $10,000 per employee in health care costs.

There are several options left to us here:

We could make large corporations pay $14,000 per employee. They’d just have to suck it up.
We could keep them at their current rate of $10,000 and raise the remaining $400 billion elsewhere, perhaps from some combination of higher taxes on the wealthy and a small VAT.
We could make all but the very smallest employers pay a head tax. With a larger tax base, the cost per employee drops to $11,500 and there’s very little to make up.
This is rough, but it’s the basic lay of the land if we’re willing to make corporations continue to pay for health care at the same rate they pay now. They’d have no real beef since it would cost them nothing more and would free them from the overhead cost and hassle of dealing with health care. There’s also a strong chance that the head tax would rise more slowly than it does now, since government-run health programs almost invariably cap cost growth better than the private sector.

This is a slightly more detailed version of my post the other day asking, yet again, why Democrats don’t propose this as the funding mechanism for M4A. Other countries do this without a problem, and there’s no special reason we can’t do it too. It certainly makes it far easier to provide a cogent and popular answer when reporters ask, “But how are you going to pay for it?”
Image
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 5,940
And1: 1,779
Joined: Mar 24, 2010
       

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1978 » by Zonkerbl » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:04 am

Um, so who is supposed to determine what is true on Facebook? How would that work? Computer algorithm?
daoneandonly - "You just said all cities are liberal. Cities are in states, so how the heck can all cities be liberal but all states arent? because you're full of crap"
Pointgod
General Manager
Posts: 8,160
And1: 7,853
Joined: Jun 28, 2014

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1979 » by Pointgod » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:35 am

Ruzious wrote:
Zonkerbl wrote:What a bunch of out of control lawless thugs Republicans are

Anyone who doesn't understand that there was at least an implied quid pro quo simply does not have a functioning brain. Even without it, it would still be an impeachable offense. Again, this is obvious. And yet Republicans are still fighting this. At this point, there's no other option than concluding most Republicans are morons - not just below average - but knuckle dragging morons.


Welcome to 3 years ago. The Republican Party has been a morally bankrupt cult of Trump and there’s no amount of rationalization from people like daoneandonly or popper that will change that.
Pointgod
General Manager
Posts: 8,160
And1: 7,853
Joined: Jun 28, 2014

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#1980 » by Pointgod » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:44 am

Zonkerbl wrote:Um, so who is supposed to determine what is true on Facebook? How would that work? Computer algorithm?


Facebook is making an argument for regulation of tech firms. It’s obvious that they’ve chosen money over any sense of obligation to Democracy. The biggest problem is the refusal to simply acknowledge the fact that the majority of misinformation is directed towards Conservatives and Republicans. Facebook had human fact checkers that were removing a lot of right leaning news and there was a huge outrage from Conservative snowflakes was that Facebook was silencing them. I know twitter had an algorithm that flagged hate speech and a lot of right wing politicians would have been de platformed because well duh.

Return to Washington Wizards