Admiral Schofield

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Admiral Schofield 

Post#1 » by payitforward » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:15 pm

Best review I've seen so far of our R2 pick --

The New York Post assessment of last night's draft: https://nypost.com/2019/06/21/nba-draft-grades-2019-breaking-down-all-60-picks-team-by-team/

Washington Wizards
No. 9: Rui Hachimura, PF, Gonzaga
No. 42: Admiral Schofield, SF, Tennessee

Washington fans should take a look at the Knicks draft last year, where their second-round pick was better than their lottery selection. I can see history repeating itself here. Hachimura will struggle to score in the paint at the next level, and he’s not yet much of a threat from the perimeter. Schofield, meanwhile, can play multiple positions and shoots it well. In a few years, we’ll be wondering how he fell out of the first round.

Grade: B-
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Re: Admiral Schofield 

Post#2 » by payitforward » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:17 pm

Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Mojo Amok
Pro Prospect
And1: 834

Post#3 » by Mojo Amok » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:59 am

Starboard side, skipper - upside ahoy! Damn the torpedoes! Four bells!

Admiral gonna make Zion look like a Petty Officer 3rd Class trawling the value menu at Captain D's in that summer league head-to-head. Zion Scho' felt bad about that poster. Whooo, boy - dock her in easy on them drives, Admiral, don't wanna scuff the paint an' get Silver or Nike on us.

And whoever overruled Sea Dogs? Throw 'em in the brig, Master Chief. Lucky we don't keelhaul these days.

The Washington Wizards – A global force for good.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Post#4 » by closg00 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:46 am

payitforward wrote:Best review I've seen so far of our R2 pick --

The New York Post assessment of last night's draft: https://nypost.com/2019/06/21/nba-draft-grades-2019-breaking-down-all-60-picks-team-by-team/

Washington Wizards
No. 9: Rui Hachimura, PF, Gonzaga
No. 42: Admiral Schofield, SF, Tennessee

Washington fans should take a look at the Knicks draft last year, where their second-round pick was better than their lottery selection. I can see history repeating itself here. Hachimura will struggle to score in the paint at the next level, and he’s not yet much of a threat from the perimeter. Schofield, meanwhile, can play multiple positions and shoots it well. In a few years, we’ll be wondering how he fell out of the first round.

Grade: B-

I'm thinking that's what the Suns were trying to do with the selection of Cameron Johnson
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 106

Post#5 » by W. Unseld » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:47 am

I take it people halfway like this pic & that’s why this thread isn’t 40 pages?

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#6 » by truwizfan4evr » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:55 am

This guy and rui could be the steals of this year draft.
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Post#7 » by DCZards » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:32 am

Before the draft, SB Nation had Schofield ranked as one of its top sleepers. Here's the coverage:

3. Admiral Schofield

Schofield was a key reason for Tennessee’s most successful seasons in program history. The two-time All-SEC guard stands at 6’6, but he like plays much bigger than that. At 240 pounds, his strength and physicality allows him to slip into the post to score and rebound. That versatility makes Schofield an interesting prospect.

As a four-year college player, he’s a finished product and likely will be immediately ready to contribute to any team. Whatever team ends up taking him will get a lot of value from the selection.

In his senior season, Schofield averaged 16.5 points and 6.1 rebounds per game. He improved his three-point shooting throughout his time at Tennessee, shooting nearly 42 from beyond the arc in 2019. Defensively, Schofield has proven himself along the perimeter, but may struggle guarding some of the NBA’s larger forwards.

Overall, Schofield has a high floor with potential for more development. He’s primed to be a solid role player for any NBA team this coming season.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#8 » by payitforward » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:03 am

Mojo Amok wrote:Starboard side, skipper - upside ahoy! Damn the torpedoes! Four bells!

Admiral gonna make Zion look like a Petty Officer 3rd Class trawling the value menu at Captain D's in that summer league head-to-head. Zion Scho' felt bad about that poster. Whooo, boy - dock her in easy on them drives, Admiral, don't wanna scuff the paint an' get Silver or Nike on us.

And whoever overruled Sea Dogs? Throw 'em in the brig, Master Chief. Lucky we don't keelhaul these days.

The Washington Wizards – A global force for good.

Stop bogarting that spiff, mojo!
payitforward
RealGM

Post#9 » by payitforward » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:07 am

W. Unseld wrote:I take it people halfway like this pic & that’s why this thread isn’t 40 pages?

39 invisible pages are waiting to be unveiled. It turns out that Admiral S. only started playing basketball 7 months ago, which is why his numbers weren't good his first few years in college.

Plus, when his wingspan was measured, road-dust was discovered under his fingernails, a secret sign among the "analytics."
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,044

Post#10 » by queridiculo » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:24 am

I am excited about this pick.

Not much of a handle, but adapt enough to attack close outs getting to the basket with two or three dribbles.

If his three point shooting carries to this level I could see him thrive as a defensive utility guy in the mold of Covington.

Great energy, motor, love his tenacity and intensity.

What a time to be alive, Wizards actually BUY a second rounder for once.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,301

Post#11 » by nate33 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:45 pm

Using the NBA Combine measurements, I tried to find comparable players in stature to Schofield to see if that body type can be successful in the league. Here's a screen of guys with standing reaches between 8-3 and 8-9 (Schofield is 8-6.5) and who weighed between 225 and 250 (Schofield is 241). This isn't everyone. This is just the names that got drafted and amounted to something:

Standing reach is a pretty variable number. My theory is that lots of guys tank the standing reach by slouching so that their max vertical looks better. For example, Harrison Barnes, Carl Landry Jeff Green and Danny Granger inexplicably have standing reaches comparable to Schofield despite being way taller with much larger wingspans.

The nearest physical comparison to Schofield is Jae Crowder. Their heights, wingspans and weights are almost identical. Crowder probably tanked the standing reach a bit too. Assume that he's closer in reach to Schofield but his vertical leap is a few inches less. Another guy very close physically to Schofield is Ojeleye. Ojeleye hasn't done much in his 2-year career on a stacked Celtics squad, but I know Bill Simmons thinks highly of him.

Schofield isn't all that different physically than Joe Johnson except for 2 inches in height. Finally, Schofield is very similar athletically to Marcus Smart in that he's an agile bowling ball. Schofield is just as quick and jumps nearly as high, but is quite a bit taller than Smart.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 896

Post#12 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:50 pm

"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#13 » by prime1time » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:28 pm

This pick is all about creating a culture and an attitude. Schofield strikes me as a career role player. But his physicality, his intensity and his personality all make him a good pick. Schofield is the kind of guy you can bring in when you're not obsessed with finding scoring. Do we need to find a second big time scorer? Yes. But at the same time, we need to focus on creating a professional culture that is conducive to winning. And you do that by drafting players that naturally play team first basketball.
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#14 » by truwizfan4evr » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:54 pm

Been watching a lot of highlights and work out footage of this guy, he is going to be a problem in the NBA he is built like a tank and wants to be a great player. He's bigger then most players in nba and will bully players he guard against.
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Post#15 » by DCZards » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:27 am

In honor of the new Admiral, I'm gonna start blowing up this thread...just kidding. :)

I think we are going to like this kid.

NBA Draft on Admiral:

Outlook: Schofield climbed NBA Draft boards after a stellar senior season ... The kid can shoot it, has range is explosive getting to the rim, and has the physique to keep pace in the NBA right now ... He also seems to be a great kid on top of being a very talented basketball player ... Schofield seems to be hovering around the beginning of the second round (Where Crowder was drafted), but with great workouts he could catapult into a fringe first-rounder ...

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/admiral-schofield

80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#16 » by 80sballboy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:09 am

nate33 wrote:Using the NBA Combine measurements, I tried to find comparable players in stature to Schofield to see if that body type can be successful in the league. Here's a screen of guys with standing reaches between 8-3 and 8-9 (Schofield is 8-6.5) and who weighed between 225 and 250 (Schofield is 241). This isn't everyone. This is just the names that got drafted and amounted to something:

Standing reach is a pretty variable number. My theory is that lots of guys tank the standing reach by slouching so that their max vertical looks better. For example, Harrison Barnes, Carl Landry Jeff Green and Danny Granger inexplicably have standing reaches comparable to Schofield despite being way taller with much larger wingspans.

The nearest physical comparison to Schofield is Jae Crowder. Their heights, wingspans and weights are almost identical. Crowder probably tanked the standing reach a bit too. Assume that he's closer in reach to Schofield but his vertical leap is a few inches less. Another guy very close physically to Schofield is Ojeleye. Ojeleye hasn't done much in his 2-year career on a stacked Celtics squad, but I know Bill Simmons thinks highly of him.

Schofield isn't all that different physically than Joe Johnson except for 2 inches in height. Finally, Schofield is very similar athletically to Marcus Smart in that he's an agile bowling ball. Schofield is just as quick and jumps nearly as high, but is quite a bit taller than Smart.

If you watch Smart play now and Schofield in college, there's no way Smart is a better athlete. Those numbers must be misleading though maybe Smart was a little thinner and trained the vertical leap coming out of college. Schofield to me looks more like a 36+ inch vertical with a running start but that's just perception from watching him dunk over people in college. If he's anything close to Crowder or P.J. Tucker, we finally got a 2nd round steal (not including Eurostash guys).
rl25g
Junior
And1: 30

Post#17 » by rl25g » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:13 am

He reminds me of Alan Anderson when he was good
good basketball.. simple living.
queridiculo
RealGM

Post#18 » by queridiculo » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:33 am

rl25g wrote:He reminds me of Alan Anderson when he was good

Looks like Baby Lebron to me.

His build and the way he moves, wouldn't be surprised if the kid is a big fan.
queridiculo
RealGM

Post#19 » by queridiculo » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:36 am

How can you not love that guy?

payitforward
RealGM

Post#20 » by payitforward » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:40 pm

I'm pretty sure that the 7'1" 280 lb centers that will throw fear into the heart of Brandon Clarke will shrink from the Admiral.

Plus, if you find yourself in Asheville NC looking for a place to eat, head over to the Admiral; it's great. Don't try to get a reservation, they'll be all booked. Just go over there.

I'd recommend 12 Bones as well, but we didn't pick anyone with that name.

Return to Washington Wizards