ImageImageImageImageImage

2019 Wiz Summer League

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,738

Re: 2019 Wiz Summer League 

Post#601 » by gambitx777 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:37 pm

I agree with most of this. I see Jones, Phillips and McRae ultimately getting cut. Bonga is nice and rui showed some stuff out there. Admiral looked good and Matthews earned that two way ! Mo yes was not as good as hoped but he's only in his second season and some times bigs are late bloomers. Look all around the league for proof. So he might turn out it just might not be with us. Robinson was ok didnt really impress but didn't loose his spot either. Unfortunately Sannon isn't ready. And the other euro big might get our two way just to hold on to him.
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:So gotta say the big takeaway from SL was Hachimura looks like a player. He showed a skill level and NBA level athleticism. He looks worthy of a #9 pick, and looks like an eventual starter level talent.

Troy Brown showed improved confidence. His comfort level and maturity at his age is going to benefit him and this team as he looks ready for an expanded role.

Admiral looked bad at first but made adjustments nicely and started performing well and looked like he will meet expectations as a off the bench contributor.

Wagner was disapointing.

Matthews can shoot and could turn out to be a nice find who can contribute and find a reserve role.

Bonga looked like he's gonna be the best player we got in that LA trade. He has skill, and could give some of what we lost in Sato, a high IQ player who can play 1-3.

Jones hardly got an opportunity to show, he gave nice effort, but not sure if he's gonna get a chance here.

Sanon and Paczenkas showed some potential but look to be bound for Europe.

Robinson looked good running the team and should make for a solid 3rd pg.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#602 » by prime1time » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:11 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:So gotta say the big takeaway from SL was Hachimura looks like a player. He showed a skill level and NBA level athleticism. He looks worthy of a #9 pick, and looks like an eventual starter level talent.

Troy Brown showed improved confidence. His comfort level and maturity at his age is going to benefit him and this team as he looks ready for an expanded role.

Admiral looked bad at first but made adjustments nicely and started performing well and looked like he will meet expectations as a off the bench contributor.

Wagner was disapointing.

Matthews can shoot and could turn out to be a nice find who can contribute and find a reserve role.

Bonga looked like he's gonna be the best player we got in that LA trade. He has skill, and could give some of what we lost in Sato, a high IQ player who can play 1-3.

Jones hardly got an opportunity to show, he gave nice effort, but not sure if he's gonna get a chance here.

Sanon and Paczenkas showed some potential but look to be bound for Europe.

Robinson looked good running the team and should make for a solid 3rd pg.

I agree with a lot of what you said but I have to disagree with Paczenkas. He did not look like an NBA player.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#603 » by Illmatic12 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:25 pm

Fyi, Issuf Sanon just had a monster game in his U20 FIBA debut. Looks like his Wiz SL experience did wonders for his confidence

Read on Twitter
?s=21

youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#604 » by youngWizzy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:00 pm

I said this when he was drafted: Sanon is the most right hand dominant guard I have ever seen, he simply never uses his left...ever.

Also why does his U20 debut even matter? He should be killing those guys
Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,445

Post#605 » by nate33 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:45 pm

youngWizzy wrote:I said this when he was drafted: Sanon is the most right hand dominant guard I have ever seen, he simply never uses his left...ever.

Well, at least he is killing these guys. Better than not killing them.

I think it's nice to have a draft and stash guy continuing to develop overseas. Ideally, he works himself into being a rotation-caliber NBA player when he's age 24 or so and the Wizards can have a useful bench guard on a low cost contract - like Sato was for us these past 3 years.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,924

Post#606 » by TGW » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:27 am

There's a possibility that Boston releases Tacko Fall. If they do, the Wiz should scoop him up.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,380

Post#607 » by King Ken » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:45 am

For me, of the summer league I watched everyone in almost all games.

No one really improve their marks significantly but Rui and Chris Clemons. Clemons got a NBA grade of a 15th man and the potential 6th man which is miles better than the 5/5 straight to China status I had for him after Portsmouth.

Rui was the 2nd with the massive jump. I almost feel like I missed on him even though I had him #9 on my big board. I said I won't miss on another Donovan Mitchell and I missed on Rui and I was higher on him than most but I felt his potential was a low end all star at PF. I messed up. He has the potential to be a superstar. Development will be key but he can be a legit stud. Washington hit a grand slam with him. His Gonzaga tape limited him and the Japanese tape was more accurate.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#608 » by gambitx777 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:07 am

I think he's 19 that's 5 years from now. Let's hope for 21 - 22 lol
nate33 wrote:
youngWizzy wrote:I said this when he was drafted: Sanon is the most right hand dominant guard I have ever seen, he simply never uses his left...ever.

Well, at least he is killing these guys. Better than not killing them.

I think it's nice to have a draft and stash guy continuing to develop overseas. Ideally, he works himself into being a rotation-caliber NBA player when he's age 24 or so and the Wizards can have a useful bench guard on a low cost contract - like Sato was for us these past 3 years.

prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#609 » by prime1time » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:32 am

King Ken wrote:For me, of the summer league I watched everyone in almost all games.

No one really improve their marks significantly but Rui and Chris Clemons. Clemons got a NBA grade of a 15th man and the potential 6th man which is miles better than the 5/5 straight to China status I had for him after Portsmouth.

Rui was the 2nd with the massive jump. I almost feel like I missed on him even though I had him #9 on my big board. I said I won't miss on another Donovan Mitchell and I missed on Rui and I was higher on him than most but I felt his potential was a low end all star at PF. I messed up. He has the potential to be a superstar. Development will be key but he can be a legit stud. Washington hit a grand slam with him. His Gonzaga tape limited him and the Japanese tape was more accurate.

My thinking is in line with yours. Many people don't/didn't want to give Rui a chance. Made assumptions about his skill level and athleticism. The pressure on the kid is unreal, but he accepts it and keeps it moving. I think he'll be fine. the has said numerous times that the spotlight was brighter for him in Japan. Hopefully he just comes in and goes to work. To be honest, everything I heard of Rui makes it sound like he'll be successful player in spite of any obstacles that present themselves (barring injuries of course). The dude has "it" in my opinion.

Excited to see him in the WBC and his rookie year.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,924

Post#610 » by TGW » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:01 pm

prime1time wrote:
King Ken wrote:For me, of the summer league I watched everyone in almost all games.

My thinking is in line with yours. Many people don't/didn't want to give Rui a chance. Made assumptions about his skill level and athleticism. The pressure on the kid is unreal, but he accepts it and keeps it moving. I think he'll be fine. the has said numerous times that the spotlight was brighter for him in Japan. Hopefully he just comes in and goes to work. To be honest, everything I heard of Rui makes it sound like he'll be successful player in spite of any obstacles that present themselves (barring injuries of course). The dude has "it" in my opinion.

If Hachimura were drafted by the Spurs, for example, I have little doubt he would turn into a very good player. All-star level. He has all the tools to become that good.

However, he was drafted by Washington. A team with a shaky coaching staff, an interim GM, and an owner who wants to be involved in picking players although he admittedly knows nothing about basketball.

Hachimura isn't the problem; it's the organization around him. Yes, you could substitute Hachimura's name with any other player in from this draft, but the people who wanted more picks were basing their decision on the fact that the organization is ****. More picks = more of an opportunity to get at least one stud if you're lucky. One pick, especially in a crapshoot draft, is boom or bust.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#611 » by King Ken » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:04 pm

TGW wrote:
prime1time wrote:

If Hachimura were drafted by the Spurs, for example, I have little doubt he would turn into a very good player. All-star level. He has all the tools to become that good.

However, he was drafted by Washington. A team with a shaky coaching staff, an interim GM, and an owner who wants to be involved in picking players although he admittedly knows nothing about basketball.

Hachimura isn't the problem; it's the organization around him. Yes, you could substitute Hachimura's name with any other player in from this draft, but the people who wanted more picks were basing their decision on the fact that the organization is ****. More picks = more of an opportunity to get at least one stud if you're lucky. One pick, especially in a crapshoot draft, is boom or bust.

Organization matters more for raw not ready players. Players line Rui are ready as long as the role is there.
Mojo Amok
Pro Prospect
And1: 834

Post#612 » by Mojo Amok » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:36 pm

TGW wrote:
prime1time wrote:

The organizational development capabilities will be more clear this time next year. We have had some dud development cycles, but it's not much of a sample size due to trading away picks. I will say that Bryant had about as good of a sophomore growth year as anyone could hope for - Brown looks solid from an approach standpoint too, though it's early. Conversely, Porter and Satoransky were probably mismanaged to an extent. Oubre strikes me as an 'is what it is' kind of case, though maybe an absolutely optimal scenario would have been able to instill some better awareness.

Also, if we are that bad structurally for young players, Bradley's value is even higher to us as someone who offsets it. On and off the court, he sets the table for inexperienced guys to succeed through a whole host of factors. With whatever else he brings and regardless of the state of our development infrastructure, he's a guy who incrementally increases the chance of your young players hitting their potential.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#613 » by payitforward » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:58 pm

No one really improve their marks significantly but Rui and Chris Clemons. ...

Really? How about

https://www.espn.com/nba-summer-league/boxscore?gameId=401144610&league=nba-summer-las-vegas
or
https://www.espn.com/nba-summer-league/boxscore?gameId=401144606&league=nba-summer-las-vegas ?

Have you looked at Brandon Clarke's line in either of those games? In which of Rui's outings was he as good as either of those 2 games by Brandon Clarke?

King Ken wrote:...Rui was the 2nd with the massive jump. I almost feel like I missed on him even though I had him #9 on my big board. I said I won't miss on another Donovan Mitchell and I missed on Rui and I was higher on him than most but I felt his potential was a low end all star at PF. I messed up. He has the potential to be a superstar. Development will be key but he can be a legit stud. Washington hit a grand slam with him. His Gonzaga tape limited him and the Japanese tape was more accurate.

That's what you know Rui Hachimura from? His "Gonzaga tape" & "Japanese tape?" I.e. two highlight tapes?

You may be a "King", but it'll take more than that to judge a basketball player & his potential. To know whether someone "has the potential to be..." any dang thing or another!

Don't get me wrong. Rui is a promising prospect. But... sheesh, man.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#614 » by payitforward » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:15 pm

TGW wrote:... the people who wanted more picks were basing their decision on the fact that the organization is ****....

No. Absolutely not.

TGW wrote:...More picks = more of an opportunity to get at least one stud if you're lucky. One pick, especially in a crapshoot draft, is boom or bust.

In every draft, in every human situation involving making a choice of 1 out of many, you have more opportunities to do well if you have more choices. Duh. Has nothing to do with anything except simple logic.

&, in every draft, one choice "is boom or bust." What else could it be?

Wanting to trade down in this draft was a function of a desire to get more talent -- it looked (& still looks) like there were some significantly under-rated players. Well... as there are in every draft.

Still, whether a team is in a position to take advantage of opportunities of this kind depends on more than just the talent that's available (which is always there, year after year). Above all your team has to have room to absorb multiple rookies! You need roster spots.

In our case this year, that was not a problem. We brought back 5 players from last year.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
King Ken
General Manager

Post#615 » by King Ken » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:24 pm

payitforward wrote:

Really? How about

https://www.espn.com/nba-summer-league/boxscore?gameId=401144610&league=nba-summer-las-vegas
or
https://www.espn.com/nba-summer-league/boxscore?gameId=401144606&league=nba-summer-las-vegas ?

Have you looked at Brandon Clarke's line in either of those games? In which of Rui's outings was he as good as either of those 2 games by Brandon Clarke?

King Ken wrote:...Rui was the 2nd with the massive jump. I almost feel like I missed on him even though I had him #9 on my big board. I said I won't miss on another Donovan Mitchell and I missed on Rui and I was higher on him than most but I felt his potential was a low end all star at PF. I messed up. He has the potential to be a superstar. Development will be key but he can be a legit stud. Washington hit a grand slam with him. His Gonzaga tape limited him and the Japanese tape was more accurate.

That's what you know Rui Hachimura from? His "Gonzaga tape" & "Japanese tape?" I.e. two highlight tapes?

You may be a "King", but it'll take more than that to judge a basketball player & his potential. To know whether someone "has the potential to be..." any dang thing or another!

I was already high on Clarke. He was tied for my #4 best prospect in the draft

Actual gametape, not highlights. Numerous games, not HOH or **** like that.

You need to at least venture to my posts in NBA draft board before asking me some stupid ****
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#616 » by nate33 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:30 pm

Mojo Amok wrote:
TGW wrote:

The organizational development capabilities will be more clear this time next year. We have had some dud development cycles, but it's not much of a sample size due to trading away picks. I will say that Bryant had about as good of a sophomore growth year as anyone could hope for - Brown looks solid from an approach standpoint too, though it's early. Conversely, Porter and Satoransky were probably mismanaged to an extent. Oubre strikes me as an 'is what it is' kind of case, though maybe an absolutely optimal scenario would have been able to instill some better awareness.

Also, if we are that bad structurally for young players, Bradley's value is even higher to us as someone who offsets it. On and off the court, he sets the table for inexperienced guys to succeed through a whole host of factors. With whatever else he brings and regardless of the state of our development infrastructure, he's a guy who incrementally increases the chance of your young players hitting their potential.

I'm not so sure the problem is with our coaching staff and development. I think the problem is that we haven't emphasized character, work ethic and basketball IQ as much as we should have in past drafts. Guys with good work ethic and basketball IQ have developed nicely: Wall, Beal, Porter, Bryant, Sato, Brown, Temple. Guys with lousy work ethic and basketball IQ have not: McGee, Young, Blatche.

Maybe the very best organizations do a better job with guys having lesser work ethic and basketball IQ, and by that measure, we certainly aren't among the very best. But I don't think we are deficient in player development either. We're okay. Hachimura, a guy who by all accounts has a great work ethic, is going to develop here just fine.

I think where our organization has been deficient in the past is in accountability. We have let far too many players have far too many lackluster efforts without any consequences.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#617 » by payitforward » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:01 pm

King Ken wrote:
payitforward wrote:

Really? How about

or

You need to at least venture to my posts in NBA draft board before asking me some stupid ****

Apologies K.K. You are right. My bad. I misinterpreted your post -- gimme a pass, please.

If you had Clarke that high you are among the few who understood what they were looking at in the run up to the draft. I actually had him as the 2d best prospect in the draft -- mostly b/c I don't believe R.J. Barrett had given any reasons to rate him as high as people were doing & b/c, much as I like Ja Morant, the low level of competition made me put Clarke in front of him.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#618 » by nate33 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:02 pm

King Ken wrote:
payitforward wrote:

Really? How about

or

Did you post your mock draft anywhere? I didn't see it on the draft board.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#619 » by nate33 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:03 pm

TGW wrote:There's a possibility that Boston releases Tacko Fall. If they do, the Wiz should scoop him up.

I think Mahinmi will be a more effective player next season than Fall.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#620 » by gambitx777 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:34 pm

What did that kid ever do to you lol
nate33 wrote:
TGW wrote:There's a possibility that Boston releases Tacko Fall. If they do, the Wiz should scoop him up.

I think Mahinmi will be a more effective player next season than Fall.

Return to Washington Wizards