Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Re: Woj: Lakers trade Wagner, Bonga, Jones, '22 2nd rder to Wizards 

Post#201 » by Illmatic12 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:48 pm

Gig18 wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:
nuposse04 wrote:Sato has explosive hops, but kinda needs a few steps to get going. Sato isn't particularly laterally athletic but compensates with good positioning.

I have no idea if Bonga has those same instincts, but it will be fun to watch and see.

This is the only comprehensive video I saw showing him against "NBA" competition (mostly NOPs bench scrubs but still)

Very quick and active player with good anticipation. But severely lacking in strength right now

The other thing you see in those clips were also evident in his G league stuff. He has talent, but he gets so out of control when driving to the basket that he often ends up hurling absolute prayers up as shots. Maybe that can be cleared up by getting stronger and having more playing time. But it makes it look like he's prettttttty far away from being a regular contributor.

That’s only just a matter of gaining strength. He’s only 19 so not hard to envision him improving there over the next few offseasons.

What I like about Bonga is that all of his flaws seem fairly fixable with age + maturity, but the things he is good are things that can’t be taught.

When you look at someone like Sekou Doumbouya ,for instance, who we were considering using our #9 overall on .. I don’t think Bonga is any worse of a prospect than Sekou (I actually prefer Bonga bc he has legit ball skills and a better wingspan as well) and we just acquired him for basically nothing. Not a bad piece of business
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Post#202 » by payitforward » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:11 am

The Laker Kid wrote:Of those 3 players you guys received, I am most impressed with Jemerrio Jones and am sad to see him go. Dude is a rebounding machine. Does the dirty work and moves without the ball. All 3 guys are very raw, especially Bonga, but Jones could be developed into a very solid hustle guy.

What was that you said? Wait... let me read it again:
The Laker Kid wrote:Of those 3 players you guys received, I am most impressed with Jemerrio Jones and am sad to see him go. Dude is a rebounding machine. Does the dirty work and moves without the ball. All 3 guys are very raw, especially Bonga, but Jones could be developed into a very solid hustle guy.

Yeah, that's what I thought you said.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#203 » by WizarDynasty » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:40 am

Couldnt ted go after massai assistant. Why keep same grunfeld skeleton crew. They were the brains behind grunfeld. 3 lakers prospect suck.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Post#204 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:54 am

I really like this guy BONGA !!

"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#205 » by prime1time » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:51 pm

Not really going to talk about Bonga or Jones because they both seem so incredibly raw but I like Mo Wagner. You can never have enough 3-point shooting, and 3-point shooters that check other boxes are especially valuable. I don't think we should put too much stock in what happened last year. Lakers are not a well run franchise and they clearly put little value in developing players. Mo might always be limited defensively, but if he works hard and improves his b-ball iq he can make up for his deficiencies. He's shown some semblance of a low post game and can also put the ball on the floor every now and then. Put him on the floor with a player like Beal and he'll succeed just like Bryant did.

Mo projects as a role player initially, but there is nothing wrong with that. He'll bring spacing to the bench rotation, and his pick and pop game will generate easy points. He plays hard and has a passion for the game. And after his debacle of a rookie season I expect him to have a serious chip on his shoulder. If Coach Brooks uses him to his full extent, Mo can be a very useful piece for us. Calling it now, Mo will be a fan favorite.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#206 » by nate33 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:04 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:When you look at someone like Sekou Doumbouya ,for instance, who we were considering using our #9 overall on .. I don’t think Bonga is any worse of a prospect than Sekou (I actually prefer Bonga bc he has legit ball skills and a better wingspan as well) and we just acquired him for basically nothing. Not a bad piece of business

Yes, but Doumbouya can shoot.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Post#207 » by payitforward » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:56 pm

prime1time wrote:Not really going to talk about Bonga or Jones because they both seem so incredibly raw...

I don't think Jones is raw. Not at all. He just has a very unusual game. I think he could be an extremely effective player if he is on the floor with multiple shooters.

Yes, even in that case he will no doubt cause their percentages to go down a little -- but who cares? He's getting the offensive board on so many misses that the result will be positive not negative!

Not to mention his defensive rebounding. & above all his really outstanding man defense. Look at the video tweet of him shutting down Lou Williams (somewhere in this thread) & the podcast excerpt where Williams says the guy wouldn't allow him to score a single point in an entire quarter.

prime1time wrote:...but I like Mo Wagner. You can never have enough 3-point shooting, and 3-point shooters that check other boxes are especially valuable. I don't think we should put too much stock in what happened last year. Lakers are not a well run franchise and they clearly put little value in developing players. Mo might always be limited defensively, but if he works hard and improves his b-ball iq he can make up for his deficiencies. He's shown some semblance of a low post game and can also put the ball on the floor every now and then. Put him on the floor with a player like Beal and he'll succeed just like Bryant did.

Mo projects as a role player initially, but there is nothing wrong with that. He'll bring spacing to the bench rotation, and his pick and pop game will generate easy points. He plays hard and has a passion for the game. And after his debacle of a rookie season I expect him to have a serious chip on his shoulder. If Coach Brooks uses him to his full extent, Mo can be a very useful piece for us. Calling it now, Mo will be a fan favorite.

I hope you are right, & of course if he improves his BBIQ he'll improve as a player -- as will any player. Mo only played 446 minutes last year, so obviously there's no reason to write him off. But, he was pretty bad. For one thing, he managed 7.5 total boards per 40 minutes, & for another he turned the ball over 3.5 times in those same 40 minutes. Combine that with missing 9 of his 15.4 shots, & you can see he's giving the ball to opponent on a regular basis.

The numbers he put up as a rookie aren't good enough to keep him in the NBA for very long. But, he was a good 3-pt. shooter in college, & he had a good FT% both in college & last year. So, I think it's fair to give little attention to his low 28.6% on threes as a rookie (particularly problematic since he took 7 per 40 minutes!). If he gets good at threes, as I think he will, he should get close to his ceiling -- which I'd say is... a role player. As you say, there's nothing wrong with that.

But, he is nothing like Thomas Bryant! No way. Bryant had better college numbers as a Freshman than Mo did as a Junior.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#208 » by nate33 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:23 pm

payitforward wrote:
prime1time wrote:Not really going to talk about Bonga or Jones because they both seem so incredibly raw...

I don't think Jones is raw. Not at all. He just has a very unusual game. I think he could be an extremely effective player if he is on the floor with multiple shooters.

I think by raw, prime1time is mostly looking at his shooting form, which is a disaster. Yes, he could be effective when surrounded by shooters, but it's hard to do that. Usually, one of your shooters is your 6-5 wing. Having a 6-5 wing that can't shoot means you need to find bigs who do all the things that bigs are supposed to do while also being good shooters. That's hard to find. You normally end up being forced to start guys like Jeff Green and Markieff Morris because you are so desperate for their shooting that live with the bad rebounding.

payitforward wrote:Yes, even in that case he will no doubt cause their percentages to go down a little -- but who cares? He's getting the offensive board on so many misses that the result will be positive not negative!

Not to mention his defensive rebounding. & above all his really outstanding man defense. Look at the video tweet of him shutting down Lou Williams (somewhere in this thread) & the podcast excerpt where Williams says the guy wouldn't allow him to score a single point in an entire quarter.

I like Jones for all these reasons as well. I would like to keep him for a year and see if our shooting coaches (who are actually quite good) can improve his shot. But if his shot is broken, I will reluctantly cede that there really isn't room for him on a modern NBA roster.

prime1time wrote:
payitforward wrote:Mo projects as a role player initially, but there is nothing wrong with that. He'll bring spacing to the bench rotation, and his pick and pop game will generate easy points. He plays hard and has a passion for the game. And after his debacle of a rookie season I expect him to have a serious chip on his shoulder. If Coach Brooks uses him to his full extent, Mo can be a very useful piece for us. Calling it now, Mo will be a fan favorite.

I hope you are right, & of course if he improves his BBIQ he'll improve as a player -- as will any player. Mo only played 446 minutes last year, so obviously there's no reason to write him off. But, he was pretty bad. For one thing, he managed 7.5 total boards per 40 minutes, & for another he turned the ball over 3.5 times in those same 40 minutes. Combine that with missing 9 of his 15.4 shots, & you can see he's giving the ball to opponent on a regular basis.

The numbers he put up as a rookie aren't good enough to keep him in the NBA for very long. But, he was a good 3-pt. shooter in college, & he had a good FT% both in college & last year. So, I think it's fair to give little attention to his low 28.6% on threes as a rookie (particularly problematic since he took 7 per 40 minutes!). If he gets good at threes, as I think he will, he should get close to his ceiling -- which I'd say is... a role player. As you say, there's nothing wrong with that.

But, he is nothing like Thomas Bryant! No way. Bryant had better college numbers as a Freshman than Mo did as a Junior.

Agree with all that. Wagner is worth a look, but he's going to have to improve on a lot of things.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,223

Post#209 » by NatP4 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:40 pm

But we have bigs that can shoot. Bryant, Wagner, Hachimura, potentially Voigtmann.

I see no reason why you can’t throw out 4 shooters alongside a guy like Jones. He rebounds better than most centers. The other problem might be rim protection or guarding post ups, but post ups are virtually gone from today’s nba and rim protection is almost completely irrelevant and has been replaced with switchability as the most important defensive trait to possess.

Throw out a lineup of Sato-Beal-Brown Jr-Jones-Bryant. That’s 3-4 shooters (I’m assuming Brown becomes a good shooter) and plus rebounding at every position.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,223

Post#210 » by NatP4 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:42 pm

If I’m the coach, I’m finding a way to get Jones out there regardless. We can sit and talk about floor spacing and how teams will guard against us all day long, but he put up monster advanced numbers in the NBA and G league. Huge positive impact.
Darko Miliminutes
Analyst
And1: 425

Post#211 » by Darko Miliminutes » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:49 pm

I've done the appropriate searches but haven't found them. Do any of you know what the jersey numbers will be for the newest arrivals? Nothing updated yet.
Will you fools ever realize that when the cameras are on and the microphones are hot, they are Lying to you! Lying to illicit a prescribed reaction, to easier manipulate you.

Useful idiots!
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#212 » by nuposse04 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:36 pm

I get tony allen vibes from Jones... potentially very useful player in the regular season but depending on how competent a playoff defense will be in the post... could make him near unplayable if he can't work on his spacing. I hope he can get his shot to fall over the coming years. I do like the fact he is a good defender and defensive rebounder.

That sort of tenacity will be good for Rui and Admiral to be around.
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#213 » by truwizfan4evr » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:27 pm

NatP4 wrote:If I’m the coach, I’m finding a way to get Jones out there regardless. We can sit and talk about floor spacing and how teams will guard against us all day long, but he put up monster advanced numbers in the NBA and G league. Huge positive impact.

Lets start him and let him guard teams top players.
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#214 » by nate33 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 7:28 pm

Read on Twitter
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 936

Post#215 » by WallToWall » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:55 am

Didnt find the dedicated Mo Wagner thread...is there one?
Does anyone think that Wagner can develop into something more than a one trick pony on D? He seems to have an affinity to drawing charges, but thats about the extent of his D. On O, he hasnt really shown much either. He is still only 23 y.o, and has some growth to be realized, but by now, he should have shown some flashes that would convince us that he is more than, at best, a journey-man F/C.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#216 » by nate33 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:33 pm

WallToWall wrote:Didnt find the dedicated Mo Wagner thread...is there one?
Does anyone think that Wagner can develop into something more than a one trick pony on D? He seems to have an affinity to drawing charges, but thats about the extent of his D. On O, he hasnt really shown much either. He is still only 23 y.o, and has some growth to be realized, but by now, he should have shown some flashes that would convince us that he is more than, at best, a journey-man F/C.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1870746&p=88741962#p88741962
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,035

Post#217 » by queridiculo » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:32 pm

WallToWall wrote:Didnt find the dedicated Mo Wagner thread...is there one?

I think there's a role for Wagner on this team, but apparently neither does Brooks nor the front office.

He's a plodder that lacks the burst for the 4 and size to play the 5, but teams that want to win typically find ways to get guys that play hard and smart on the floor.

Return to Washington Wizards