ImageImageImageImageImage

Tommy Sheppard -- Fearless New Leader!

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Re: Tommy Sheppard -- Fearless New Leader! 

Post#241 » by 80sballboy » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:41 pm

nate33 wrote:
closg00 wrote:
Pistol King wrote:Since Sheppard got an extension, the Wiz are at 5-9 record.

I really wonder why Ted was so in hurry to extend him after only 13 games.

Empowering undersized selfish fools gold Neto and bringing another undersized guard in Holiday to pear with another two second guards in Brad and Din while lacking a true point guard in the roster, signing one dimensional Bertans with his abysmal defense to that 80mil contract, drafting a skilled high BBIQ point forward just to put him in the corner for 2 consecutive seasons... what is exactly his vision? what type of offensive system he wants to establish to outperform better rosters? I dunno, so far a lot of his moves scream mediocrity to me.

I'm really afraid that extension was more of a move to establish Ted's power on the team as the actual GM, while he views Shepp as his puppet. He knew no fan would disagree with such extension after an historic 10-3 start.

And now, when it's obvious that the Wiz should trade Beal and need an actual GM to make such strong move, reality says this decision gonna be make by their true GM: Ted and his zero understanding in basketball.

Ted is a perpetual premature ejaculator at sports and runs the Wizards like a guy with low self-esteem trying to ask girls out.

This is the proper take.

The problem is Ted. The guy got lucky running a company during the dot.com boom and now believes he is infallible. He kept EG way too long, and now he is hamstringing Sheppard by insisting that we reload around Beal rather than trade Beal and rebuild properly.

It's always the owner. You can blame EG all you want but the owner kept him for nearly 20 years of mostly ineptitude. Then we get off to a 10-3 start and it's time to build Tommy a bust. I like Tommy and do think he's an upgrade. I do think he has a clue and you have to wonder how hamstrung he is from making moves including the big one (Beal) by Ted.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#242 » by FAH1223 » Sat Jan 1, 2022 9:25 pm

Tommy Sheppard Interview with Ben Standig and Britt Ghiroli - The Reese Waters Show, The Team 980 (December 31, 2021)

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Post#243 » by closg00 » Sat Jan 1, 2022 11:51 pm

FAH1223 wrote:Tommy Sheppard Interview with Ben Standig and Britt Ghiroli - The Reese Waters Show, The Team 980 (December 31, 2021)

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

:( A lot of tomatoes will be thrown if Beal is Super Maxed
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 837

Post#244 » by 9 and 20 » Sun Jan 2, 2022 4:36 am

Tomatoes will be thrown, sure. But if he regularly notches and 17 assists, I will retract those thrown tomatoes. The Beal from last year was great. The Beal from early this year, not so much.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#245 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 7, 2022 4:50 am

9 and 20 wrote:Tomatoes will be thrown, sure. But if he regularly notches and 17 assists, I will retract those thrown tomatoes. The Beal from last year was great. The Beal from early this year, not so much.

Bradley at PG is a game changer, potentially.

I love it!
Bye bye Beal.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#246 » by FAH1223 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:15 pm

Tommy Sheppard Interview | The Kevin Sheehan Show (January 13, 2022)

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#247 » by WallToWall » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:03 am

Good interview. Does this hint at some smaller moves? It seems a move to trade BB is not happening unless BB wants it. He mentioned the Gafford pick-up as something that he would look to duplicate.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,929

Post#248 » by Frichuela » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:47 am

WallToWall wrote:Good interview. Does this hint at some smaller moves? It seems a move to trade BB is not happening unless BB wants it. He mentioned the Gafford pick-up as something that he would look to duplicate.

Reading between the lines this looks to be the case, unfortunately. I say unfortunately because we all know the right move is to trade Bradley Beal…but Terd gonna Terd and ask Tommy to keep shooting for the 8th seed…

Given that, a good result would be to find the next Gafford in PG form. Now, I have no clue who that could be. I have suggested Coby White but his (lack of) D makes me nervous…
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,869

Post#249 » by payitforward » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:07 am

"I don't show my hand." I like that! Tommy has surprised us over & over since he took the helm -- even before, in fact, since signing Thomas Bryant was his move as well.

I also liked his explicit focus on the future, not on bringing a couple of vets in & trying to win now. I hope to hell that means that all the smoke about Jerami Grant is just that, smoke -- even a smoke screen to hide what he's really up to.

A confidence-inspiring interview, IMO.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,309

Post#250 » by NatP4 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:55 am

Also came away extremely encouraged by this interview. Sheppard has a plan.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#251 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:47 am

Read on Twitter
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 884

Post#252 » by badinage » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:47 am

I think he’s going to be bold. And the reason I think that is — he’s *been* bold, surprisingly bold, smartly bold, in trading away first Wall, then Westbrook.

I had thought when he acquired all those pieces from LA that that was just pretext to other moves. And then nothing happened. It just feels inevitable to me that now something does.

My hunch is that he makes two trades, sending out 4 and maybe even 5 players.

My guesses are that Dinwiddie, Harrell, Rui, and Bertans are the ones to go.

I have the sense that he has regarded this for a while as a team of pieces. Pieces to turn into other pieces.

In other words, I don’t see him as someone who has consolidation in mind. You consolidate when you have essentially the right group and you need to concentrate it, streamline it.

I think Tommy Shepp knows that this trade deadline is another stage in the remaking/rebuilding of this team.
WallToWall
Veteran

Post#253 » by WallToWall » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:46 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I don’t buy this so much. I think Shep is quite grounded when it comes to where the team is. He specifically states in the interview something to the effect of… we are 2 games away from 5th seed and also 2 games away from 10th seed, so don’t think we are good and should rest on what we have.

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#254 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:19 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

We win tonight - getting 3 games over .500 and people all happy.

And then lose 11 in a row.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,869

Post#255 » by payitforward » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:19 pm

badinage wrote:I think he’s going to be bold. And the reason I think that is — he’s *been* bold, surprisingly bold, smartly bold, in trading away first Wall, then Westbrook.

I had thought when he acquired all those pieces from LA that that was just pretext to other moves. And then nothing happened. It just feels inevitable to me that now something does.

My hunch is that he makes two trades, sending out 4 and maybe even 5 players.

My guesses are that Dinwiddie, Harrell, Rui, and Bertans are the ones to go.

I have the sense that he has regarded this for a while as a team of pieces. Pieces to turn into other pieces.

In other words, I don’t see him as someone who has consolidation in mind. You consolidate when you have essentially the right group and you need to concentrate it, streamline it.

I think Tommy Shepp knows that this trade deadline is another stage in the remaking/rebuilding of this team.

Interesting! Way to give it some creative thought -- & I hope you are right!

Hard for me to see him trading Dinwiddie. & although Rui hasn't been much of a player so far, he brings a valuable market with him. I wonder whether Ted would let him be traded.

If big moves happen, the key thing to watch will be what kind of players come in: if they're young, then we're staying track. If they're vets, then they'd better be short-term contracts.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
WallToWall
Veteran

Post#256 » by WallToWall » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:33 pm

If we are to believe what he said in the interview, meaning it’s not a smoke screen, then he is looking for undervalued players. Any trade involving Bertans, etc, must also include a player of that ilk coming back.

NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,309

Post#257 » by NatP4 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:43 pm

WallToWall wrote:If we are to believe what he said in the interview, meaning it’s not a smoke screen, then he is looking for undervalued players. Any trade involving Bertans, etc, must also include a player of that ilk coming back.

Derrick White, Jalen Brunson, Caleb Martin, Hamidou Diallo, Cody Martin. Make it happen, Tommy.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#258 » by FAH1223 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:14 pm

Fearless today
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,929

Post#259 » by Frichuela » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:16 pm

FAH1223 wrote:Fearless today

Hear hear!
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#260 » by pcbothwel » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:32 pm

Frichuela wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:Fearless today

Hear hear!

Just wait until after next year when Porzingis opts out and we have the following team with 40M+ in capspace:

Beal
Kispert
Deni
Keegan Murray
Gafford

"Jokic... you interested?"

i can dream....

Return to Washington Wizards