ImageImageImageImageImage

Tommy Sheppard -- Fearless New Leader!

Moderators: montestewart, nate33, LyricalRico

80sballboy
RealGM
Posts: 21,272
And1: 4,616
Joined: Jul 15, 2006
       

Re: Tommy Sheppard -- Fearless New Leader! 

Post#241 » by 80sballboy » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:41 pm

nate33 wrote:
closg00 wrote:
Pistol King wrote:Since Sheppard got an extension, the Wiz are at 5-9 record.

I really wonder why Ted was so in hurry to extend him after only 13 games.

Empowering undersized selfish fools gold Neto and bringing another undersized guard in Holiday to pear with another two second guards in Brad and Din while lacking a true point guard in the roster, signing one dimensional Bertans with his abysmal defense to that 80mil contract, drafting a skilled high BBIQ point forward just to put him in the corner for 2 consecutive seasons... what is exactly his vision? what type of offensive system he wants to establish to outperform better rosters? I dunno, so far a lot of his moves scream mediocrity to me.

I'm really afraid that extension was more of a move to establish Ted's power on the team as the actual GM, while he views Shepp as his puppet. He knew no fan would disagree with such extension after an historic 10-3 start.

And now, when it's obvious that the Wiz should trade Beal and need an actual GM to make such strong move, reality says this decision gonna be make by their true GM: Ted and his zero understanding in basketball.


Ted is a perpetual premature ejaculator at sports and runs the Wizards like a guy with low self-esteem trying to ask girls out.

This is the proper take.

The problem is Ted. The guy got lucky running a company during the dot.com boom and now believes he is infallible. He kept EG way too long, and now he is hamstringing Sheppard by insisting that we reload around Beal rather than trade Beal and rebuild properly.


It's always the owner. You can blame EG all you want but the owner kept him for nearly 20 years of mostly ineptitude. Then we get off to a 10-3 start and it's time to build Tommy a bust. I like Tommy and do think he's an upgrade. I do think he has a clue and you have to wonder how hamstrung he is from making moves including the big one (Beal) by Ted.
User avatar
FAH1223
RealGM
Posts: 12,953
And1: 5,207
Joined: Nov 01, 2005
Location: Laurel, MD
       

Re: Tommy Sheppard -- Fearless New Leader! 

Post#242 » by FAH1223 » Sat Jan 1, 2022 9:25 pm

Tommy Sheppard Interview with Ben Standig and Britt Ghiroli - The Reese Waters Show, The Team 980 (December 31, 2021)

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Image
User avatar
closg00
RealGM
Posts: 21,466
And1: 3,008
Joined: Nov 21, 2004

Re: Tommy Sheppard -- Fearless New Leader! 

Post#243 » by closg00 » Sat Jan 1, 2022 11:51 pm

FAH1223 wrote:Tommy Sheppard Interview with Ben Standig and Britt Ghiroli - The Reese Waters Show, The Team 980 (December 31, 2021)

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter


:( A lot of tomatoes will be thrown if Beal is Super Maxed
Trade Beal and re-build.
9 and 20
Junior
Posts: 343
And1: 252
Joined: Mar 28, 2021
 

Re: Tommy Sheppard -- Fearless New Leader! 

Post#244 » by 9 and 20 » Sun Jan 2, 2022 4:36 am

Tomatoes will be thrown, sure. But if he regularly notches and 17 assists, I will retract those thrown tomatoes. The Beal from last year was great. The Beal from early this year, not so much.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 50,180
And1: 7,751
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
       

Re: Tommy Sheppard -- Fearless New Leader! 

Post#245 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 7, 2022 4:50 am

9 and 20 wrote:Tomatoes will be thrown, sure. But if he regularly notches and 17 assists, I will retract those thrown tomatoes. The Beal from last year was great. The Beal from early this year, not so much.



Bradley at PG is a game changer, potentially.

I love it!
After the Wizards GM really went and did it by having an imaginative, strong, draft day. I totally feel this as well;

AFM wrote:Don't sleep on these white bois. That's all I'm saying.
User avatar
FAH1223
RealGM
Posts: 12,953
And1: 5,207
Joined: Nov 01, 2005
Location: Laurel, MD
       

Re: Tommy Sheppard -- Fearless New Leader! 

Post#246 » by FAH1223 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:15 pm

Tommy Sheppard Interview | The Kevin Sheehan Show (January 13, 2022)

Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter
Image
WallToWall
Starter
Posts: 2,085
And1: 624
Joined: May 20, 2010
         

Re: Tommy Sheppard -- Fearless New Leader! 

Post#247 » by WallToWall » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:03 am

Good interview. Does this hint at some smaller moves? It seems a move to trade BB is not happening unless BB wants it. He mentioned the Gafford pick-up as something that he would look to duplicate.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Frichuela
Starter
Posts: 2,004
And1: 1,235
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
 

Re: Tommy Sheppard -- Fearless New Leader! 

Post#248 » by Frichuela » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:47 am

WallToWall wrote:Good interview. Does this hint at some smaller moves? It seems a move to trade BB is not happening unless BB wants it. He mentioned the Gafford pick-up as something that he would look to duplicate.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app


Reading between the lines this looks to be the case, unfortunately. I say unfortunately because we all know the right move is to trade Bradley Beal…but Terd gonna Terd and ask Tommy to keep shooting for the 8th seed…

Given that, a good result would be to find the next Gafford in PG form. Now, I have no clue who that could be. I have suggested Coby White but his (lack of) D makes me nervous…
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 17,806
And1: 5,938
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: Tommy Sheppard -- Fearless New Leader! 

Post#249 » by payitforward » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:07 am

"I don't show my hand." I like that! Tommy has surprised us over & over since he took the helm -- even before, in fact, since signing Thomas Bryant was his move as well.

I also liked his explicit focus on the future, not on bringing a couple of vets in & trying to win now. I hope to hell that means that all the smoke about Jerami Grant is just that, smoke -- even a smoke screen to hide what he's really up to.

A confidence-inspiring interview, IMO.
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
NatP4
RealGM
Posts: 11,535
And1: 4,088
Joined: Jul 24, 2016
         

Re: Tommy Sheppard -- Fearless New Leader! 

Post#250 » by NatP4 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:55 am

Also came away extremely encouraged by this interview. Sheppard has a plan.
User avatar
FAH1223
RealGM
Posts: 12,953
And1: 5,207
Joined: Nov 01, 2005
Location: Laurel, MD
       

Re: Tommy Sheppard -- Fearless New Leader! 

Post#251 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:47 am

Read on Twitter
Image
badinage
Pro Prospect
Posts: 986
And1: 335
Joined: May 09, 2002

Re: Tommy Sheppard -- Fearless New Leader! 

Post#252 » by badinage » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:47 am

I think he’s going to be bold. And the reason I think that is — he’s *been* bold, surprisingly bold, smartly bold, in trading away first Wall, then Westbrook.

I had thought when he acquired all those pieces from LA that that was just pretext to other moves. And then nothing happened. It just feels inevitable to me that now something does.

My hunch is that he makes two trades, sending out 4 and maybe even 5 players.

My guesses are that Dinwiddie, Harrell, Rui, and Bertans are the ones to go.

I have the sense that he has regarded this for a while as a team of pieces. Pieces to turn into other pieces.

In other words, I don’t see him as someone who has consolidation in mind. You consolidate when you have essentially the right group and you need to concentrate it, streamline it.

I think Tommy Shepp knows that this trade deadline is another stage in the remaking/rebuilding of this team.
WallToWall
Starter
Posts: 2,085
And1: 624
Joined: May 20, 2010
         

Re: Tommy Sheppard -- Fearless New Leader! 

Post#253 » by WallToWall » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:46 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I don’t buy this so much. I think Shep is quite grounded when it comes to where the team is. He specifically states in the interview something to the effect of… we are 2 games away from 5th seed and also 2 games away from 10th seed, so don’t think we are good and should rest on what we have.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 46,994
And1: 10,939
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Tommy Sheppard -- Fearless New Leader! 

Post#254 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:19 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

We win tonight - getting 3 games over .500 and people all happy.

And then lose 11 in a row.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 17,806
And1: 5,938
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: Tommy Sheppard -- Fearless New Leader! 

Post#255 » by payitforward » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:19 pm

badinage wrote:I think he’s going to be bold. And the reason I think that is — he’s *been* bold, surprisingly bold, smartly bold, in trading away first Wall, then Westbrook.

I had thought when he acquired all those pieces from LA that that was just pretext to other moves. And then nothing happened. It just feels inevitable to me that now something does.

My hunch is that he makes two trades, sending out 4 and maybe even 5 players.

My guesses are that Dinwiddie, Harrell, Rui, and Bertans are the ones to go.

I have the sense that he has regarded this for a while as a team of pieces. Pieces to turn into other pieces.

In other words, I don’t see him as someone who has consolidation in mind. You consolidate when you have essentially the right group and you need to concentrate it, streamline it.

I think Tommy Shepp knows that this trade deadline is another stage in the remaking/rebuilding of this team.

Interesting! Way to give it some creative thought -- & I hope you are right!

Hard for me to see him trading Dinwiddie. & although Rui hasn't been much of a player so far, he brings a valuable market with him. I wonder whether Ted would let him be traded.

If big moves happen, the key thing to watch will be what kind of players come in: if they're young, then we're staying track. If they're vets, then they'd better be short-term contracts.
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
WallToWall
Starter
Posts: 2,085
And1: 624
Joined: May 20, 2010
         

Re: Tommy Sheppard -- Fearless New Leader! 

Post#256 » by WallToWall » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:33 pm

If we are to believe what he said in the interview, meaning it’s not a smoke screen, then he is looking for undervalued players. Any trade involving Bertans, etc, must also include a player of that ilk coming back.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
NatP4
RealGM
Posts: 11,535
And1: 4,088
Joined: Jul 24, 2016
         

Re: Tommy Sheppard -- Fearless New Leader! 

Post#257 » by NatP4 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:43 pm

WallToWall wrote:If we are to believe what he said in the interview, meaning it’s not a smoke screen, then he is looking for undervalued players. Any trade involving Bertans, etc, must also include a player of that ilk coming back.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app


Derrick White, Jalen Brunson, Caleb Martin, Hamidou Diallo, Cody Martin. Make it happen, Tommy.

Return to Washington Wizards