ImageImageImageImageImage

Tommy Sheppard -- Fearless New Leader!

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Re: Tommy Sheppard -- Fearless New Leader! 

Post#161 » by payitforward » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:59 pm

nate33 wrote:
nuposse04 wrote:Curious about Napier, might like him more than Ish moving into next year (mostly for potential spacing, although Ish has been oddly not horrible in that arena).

Ish is under contract. Napier isn't. Also, Ish fits better in the 5-out system Brooks is trying to implement because the system works best with a penetrate-and-dish PG.

I like Napier, but I seriously doubt he will be on the team next year. Other teams will need a 2nd string PG more than we need a 3rd string PG and will likely outbid us for Napier. There's also roster spots to consider.

I think it's a near certainty that Napier will be gone if we end up drafting a combo guard like Hayes or Halliburton.

Yet, we might well sign Napier even if we have in mind to trade him.

Again, the difference between the way you & I think about these things is pretty clear: I want to keep him, because he's a plus player at his salary (more accurately, at the salary I think he's likely to command this off season). At that point, perhaps we'll trade him. Or, perhaps other variables will change on the roster around him, & we'll want to hold on to him.

One other point: if we had no intention of keeping Napier, I wonder why we swapped Jordan McRae for him. The swap cost us a little $$ this year (not enough to matter). There might have been other reasons, I know.

It'll be interesting to see how Tommy handles this.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#162 » by nate33 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:13 pm

payitforward wrote:
nate33 wrote:
nuposse04 wrote:Curious about Napier, might like him more than Ish moving into next year (mostly for potential spacing, although Ish has been oddly not horrible in that arena).

Ish is under contract. Napier isn't. Also, Ish fits better in the 5-out system Brooks is trying to implement because the system works best with a penetrate-and-dish PG.

I like Napier, but I seriously doubt he will be on the team next year. Other teams will need a 2nd string PG more than we need a 3rd string PG and will likely outbid us for Napier. There's also roster spots to consider.

I think it's a near certainty that Napier will be gone if we end up drafting a combo guard like Hayes or Halliburton.

Yet, we might well sign Napier even if we have in mind to trade him.

Again, the difference between the way you & I think about these things is pretty clear: I want to keep him, because he's a plus player at his salary (more accurately, at the salary I think he's likely to command this off season). At that point, perhaps we'll trade him. Or, perhaps other variables will change on the roster around him, & we'll want to hold on to him.

One other point: if we had no intention of keeping Napier, I wonder why we swapped Jordan McRae for him. The swap cost us a little $$ this year (not enough to matter). There might have been other reasons, I know.

It'll be interesting to see how Tommy handles this.

Why do you think he will be a plus player at the salary he will command? Most players signed for between the vet minimum and the MLE are dealing with a large marketplace (since nearly all teams have up to the MLE to spend). As such, his contract is likely to be a fair market value, neither a bargain nor an overpay. Or rather, his contract will be a fair value for a team expecting to use him as a 2nd string PG. He will be overpaid as a 3rd string PG.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#163 » by payitforward » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:46 pm

Mostly because I don't think he's going to command much $$. Napier played well for Minny this year, & he had a good 2017-18 season w/ Portland. But otherwise, he's never been any kind of stand-out, & he's in his 6th year. Plus, he's not tall.

IOW he's the kind of guy people in the league most often underestimate. &, while your point about an open market is valid overall, there are always exceptions -- players whom the market under-rewards.

Of course that "underestimate" thing might mean that we don't value him enough to be interested in keeping him. But... that's where I start wondering why we swapped McRae for him.

One answer to that might be, "to free up minutes for Jerome Robinson."

I'm not trying to make more of Shabazz Napier than he is -- it would be no big surprise if we simply let him walk.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#164 » by nate33 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:12 pm

payitforward wrote:Mostly because I don't think he's going to command much $$. Napier played well for Minny this year, & he had a good 2017-18 season w/ Portland. But otherwise, he's never been any kind of stand-out, & he's in his 6th year. Plus, he's not tall.

IOW he's the kind of guy people in the league most often underestimate. &, while your point about an open market is valid overall, there are always exceptions -- players whom the market under-rewards.

Of course that "underestimate" thing might mean that we don't value him enough to be interested in keeping him. But... that's where I start wondering why we swapped McRae for him.

One answer to that might be, "to free up minutes for Jerome Robinson."

I'm not trying to make more of Shabazz Napier than he is -- it would be no big surprise if we simply let him walk.

FWIW, I'm all for retaining him if all he costs is the vet minimum. I'd probably be willing to pay up to his early-Bird rights exception of $3.23M.

If Wall looks good and capable of playing 32 minutes a game for 70 games a year, I'd probably look to move either Ish or Napier by the Trade Deadline.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#165 » by gambitx777 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:35 pm

Can someone refresh my memory I can't remember if you have a bottom 15 record and still make the play offs. Because your in the east are you still in the loto ? Sorry my brain isn't working today

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
payitforward
RealGM

Post#166 » by payitforward » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:43 pm

nate33 wrote:FWIW, I'm all for retaining him if all he costs is the vet minimum. I'd probably be willing to pay up to his early-Bird rights exception of $3.23M.

If Wall looks good and capable of playing 32 minutes a game for 70 games a year, I'd probably look to move either Ish or Napier by the Trade Deadline.

Now we are on the same wavelength. I don't see him costing more than $3m or just above, & he offers that double insurance value: if John suffers a setback we definitely need him. If not, then he is a good-value trade asset or else allows us to trade Smith. If we've inked him for 3 years, then especially it makes sense to move Ish rather than Napier.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#167 » by gambitx777 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:01 pm

I can see baz for the BMLE. Which is a 2 year deal at 3 - 4 ish mill a year. I say 3-4 cuz it will probably raise with the cap. No harm keeping him of he is affordable I like ish a lot. I don't mind keeping both. But if we take a PG it wouldn't be a bad move to trade ish sign shabazz for the BMLE and bring in a guy like Grant for the min. That's just coast effective .
payitforward wrote:
nate33 wrote:FWIW, I'm all for retaining him if all he costs is the vet minimum. I'd probably be willing to pay up to his early-Bird rights exception of $3.23M.

Now we are on the same wavelength. I don't see him costing more than $3m or just above, & he offers that double insurance value: if John suffers a setback we definitely need him. If not, then he is a good-value trade asset or else allows us to trade Smith. If we've inked him for 3 years, then especially it makes sense to move Ish rather than Napier.

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#168 » by Ruzious » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:40 pm

gambitx777 wrote:I can see baz for the BMLE. Which is a 2 year deal at 3 - 4 ish mill a year. I say 3-4 cuz it will probably raise with the cap. No harm keeping him of he is affordable I like ish a lot. I don't mind keeping both. But if we take a PG it wouldn't be a bad move to trade ish sign shabazz for the BMLE and bring in a guy like Grant for the min. That's just coast effective .
payitforward wrote:

Yeah, Ish is movable and might even be a useful contract to include in a trade. Grant would give them a 3rd PG who can also play some 2. Ish, Napier, and Wall are all strictly 1's, so having a versatile player like Grant gives them more options. And if there are multiple injuries, they can move TBJ or even Bonga to the point.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#169 » by payitforward » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:33 am

I like it!
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#170 » by gambitx777 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:06 pm

This summer will tell a lot too! Will he stay the course or fall to the pressure of win now .

youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#171 » by youngWizzy » Sat Mar 7, 2020 4:58 pm

Read on Twitter
Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Post#172 » by closg00 » Sun Mar 8, 2020 3:45 am

youngWizzy wrote:
Read on Twitter

...he will answer select submitted questions
payitforward
RealGM

Post#173 » by payitforward » Sun Mar 8, 2020 7:46 pm

First you must submit, then you may ask a question -- well... that was more the EG style I guess?
payitforward
RealGM

Post#174 » by payitforward » Sun Mar 8, 2020 9:33 pm

From the Reddit:

Q:Many people think that the answer at center for the Wizards is not currently on the roster. How do you plan to find a center, hopefully one who is good defensively and rebounding? Is it through the draft, trades, or do you believe that one of our bigs on the roster can be the future center?

Tommy: "If you look at the way the game is played, it's harder and harder to have significant money tied in to one player at the center position. We found it as a necessity to do center-by-committee. We're pleased with the progress of Thomas Bryant, Moe Wagner, and Anzejs Pasecniks."

(Very thoughtful response IMO)

On this year's draft: "the draft is deeper this year than people realize."

He hasn't answered any more of the questions yet, but here is my favorite question so far:

"Does having Hinkie essentially blacklisted by the league take some of the pressure off of other GMs and make it more ok to just be average?"

I laughed out loud right here at my desk....!
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#175 » by gambitx777 » Mon Mar 9, 2020 5:58 am

Wish someone had asked him what his stance on Jan vesley was.

payitforward
RealGM

Post#176 » by payitforward » Mon Mar 9, 2020 7:48 pm

Oh, I'd be willing to bet that Tommy was the main voice calling for us to pick Jan Vesely. You gonna tell me Ernie was flying around going to tons of Euroball games, thinking analytically about prospects? No.

It was a bad pick. Everyone gets to make mistakes.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,352

Post#177 » by doclinkin » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:03 am

payitforward wrote:Oh, I'd be willing to bet that Tommy was the main voice calling for us to pick Jan Vesely. You gonna tell me Ernie was flying around going to tons of Euroball games, thinking analytically about prospects? No.

Actually Ernie always made a big show out of traveling to Treviso Italy for the showcase of Eurotalent and on his yearly work related vacation. Jon Givomy often mentioned him as one of the actual GMs in attendance. His family being first generation immigrants from Romania he is noted for having often scouted and picked Euro players. Scuttlebutt was his scouting led to the Knicks drafting Frederic Weis , the seven footer that Vinsanity used as a toilet seat in his career highlight signature dunk at the Olympics.
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#178 » by Shoe » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:29 pm

doclinkin wrote:
payitforward wrote:Oh, I'd be willing to bet that Tommy was the main voice calling for us to pick Jan Vesely. You gonna tell me Ernie was flying around going to tons of Euroball games, thinking analytically about prospects? No.

Actually Ernie always made a big show out of traveling to Treviso Italy for the showcase of Eurotalent and on his yearly work related vacation. Jon Givomy often mentioned him as one of the actual GMs in attendance. His family being first generation immigrants from Romania he is noted for having often scouted and picked Euro players. Scuttlebutt was his scouting led to the Knicks drafting Frederic Weis , the seven footer that Vinsanity used as a toilet seat in his career highlight signature dunk at the Olympics.

Interesting, great insight
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#179 » by I_Like_Dirt » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:49 pm

payitforward wrote:First you must submit, then you may ask a question -- well... that was more the EG style I guess?

Let's be real. This is reddit. Left unchecked it rolls to sometimes hilarious and arguably justified results like Steven Seagal's attempt.

If you actually want something serious and are going to draw a sizeable and representative reddit crowd, though, it's not necessarily a good or even feasible idea to not have some form of controls there.
Bucket! Bucket!
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,353

Post#180 » by Kanyewest » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:33 pm

doclinkin wrote:

That would be so Knicks to follow the advice of drafting a GM they just fired. Also the Knicks at the time had Ewing, Camby, and Kurt Thomas.

Well, if the Knicks had stuck with the Italian league and drafted Manu from Italy, that would have been an interesting selection.

Return to Washington Wizards