ImageImageImageImageImage

Tommy Sheppard -- Fearless New Leader!

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Re: Tommy Sheppard -- Fearless New Leader! 

Post#321 » by payitforward » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:01 am

We have two all star level players? Who are they?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,316

Post#322 » by NatP4 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:16 am

payitforward wrote:We have two all star level players? Who are they?

Well Isaiah Todd and Jordan Schakel, obviously.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#323 » by Dark Faze » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:43 pm

There are many bad jobs but Leonsis is pretty uniquely terrible in terms of his attempts to force a near-permanent state of mediocrity. In fact, it's not mediocrity. I'd consider mediocrity a permanent 6-8 seed caliber team that occasionally sees the second round. Leonsis is content with a step below that.

Orlando and Detroit have just had miserable draft luck/choices, but at least they were in position to pick franchise changing talent.

I don't like our talent. Kispert we're basically developing into a journeyman roleplayer for some other team. Rui is what he is, which is disappointing. I do like Deni's potential, but I'm very doubtful he becomes an all-star level player.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#324 » by Frichuela » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:53 pm

Dark Faze wrote:There are many bad jobs but Leonsis is pretty uniquely terrible in terms of his attempts to force a near-permanent state of mediocrity. In fact, it's not mediocrity. I'd consider mediocrity a permanent 6-8 seed caliber team that occasionally sees the second round. Leonsis is content with a step below that.

Orlando and Detroit have just had miserable draft luck/choices, but at least they were in position to pick franchise changing talent.

I don't like our talent. Kispert we're basically developing into a journeyman roleplayer for some other team. Rui is what he is, which is disappointing. I do like Deni's potential, but I'm very doubtful he becomes an all-star level player.

I'm afraid you are right on both Terd mediocrity goals and Tommy's draft acumen. The way I see it, the Wiz need to swing for the fences in this draft and look to obtain talent with all-star upside potential...Hence the rumors of trying to trade up for Ivey make sense.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,346

Post#325 » by nate33 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:54 pm

Dark Faze wrote: Kispert we're basically developing into a journeyman roleplayer for some other team.

Agreed. He is a fine pick for a winning team who is looking for competent depth at a cheap cost. But his next contract is likely to be MLE-sized or less, which means he will almost surely depart via free agency when his rookie contract is up.

But to be fair, it's not often you find a long term building block with the #15 pick. Getting 4 solid seasons of play at a cheap cost is still a pretty good outcome.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#326 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:58 pm

:wink:
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 837

Post#327 » by 9 and 20 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:54 pm

Dark Faze wrote:There are many bad jobs but Leonsis is pretty uniquely terrible in terms of his attempts to force a near-permanent state of mediocrity. In fact, it's not mediocrity. I'd consider mediocrity a permanent 6-8 seed caliber team that occasionally sees the second round. Leonsis is content with a step below that.

Orlando deserves decades of loserdom after getting Shaq, then Webber/Penny Hardaway, then Dwight Howard.

Our number one picks have been John Wall and Kwame Brown.

Detroit can eat it too. Ben Wallace was a beast and Rasheed was hilarious. They stole Rip from us though.

You're right about Terd. He's shooting for that 9/10 seed and happy with 11th and a little excitement at the end of the year.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#328 » by Dat2U » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:32 pm

We might have one all-star. Maybe moving back off the ball helps Beal and he rebounds next year.

Porzingis was very good in his short stint with the Wizards but I wouldn't consider him an all-star, probably a notch below that though if he can stay healthy & productive. Big ifs.

No one else on the currently roster will likely ever sniff an all-star game.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#329 » by Dat2U » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:46 pm

9 and 20 wrote:

Orlando deserves decades of loserdom after getting Shaq, then Webber/Penny Hardaway, then Dwight Howard.

Our number one picks have been John Wall and Kwame Brown.

Detroit can eat it too. Ben Wallace was a beast and Rasheed was hilarious. They stole Rip from us i though.

You're right about Terd. He's shooting for that 9/10 seed and happy with 11th and a little excitement at the end of the year.

I do think they aim a little higher. The ultimate goal is conference finals since the franchise hasn't been there in ages but truly they'd be more than pleased at a 2nd round appearance and deem it a very successful season. Making the playoffs and losing in the 1st round is satisfactory. Losing in the play-in or just missing it means we are close and just need another key piece. It takes being bad and non-competitive for Leonsis to really want to change it up.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#330 » by payitforward » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:46 pm

I thought Tommy was supposed to be talking to the media this morning -- or was that just one more example of quintin Mayo's "insider ignorance" ??
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#331 » by FAH1223 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:16 pm

payitforward wrote:I thought Tommy was supposed to be talking to the media this morning -- or was that just one more example of quintin Mayo's "insider ignorance" ??

He's speaking now
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 837

Post#332 » by 9 and 20 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:18 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
payitforward wrote:I thought Tommy was supposed to be talking to the media this morning -- or was that just one more example of quintin Mayo's "insider ignorance" ??

He's speaking now

I saw various quotes from this but didn't watch it. The quotes were all fairly meaningless I thought. No big announcements. What was the point? Terd told him he needs to be seen or heard publicly more often?
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#333 » by Benjammin » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:19 pm

Supposedly Tommy said, "I think one of our best defenders is Bradley Beal — we’ve asked him to do a lot over the years.” Asking and receiving are two different things.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,892

Post#334 » by TGW » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:21 pm

How much of a leash does Sheppard get before he's replaced? He's in year four of a rebuild, and there's a good chance the team doesn't make the playoffs again. How much mediocrity is Turd going to accept before he gets a real GM?
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#335 » by FAH1223 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:23 pm

TGW wrote:How much of a leash does Sheppard get before he's replaced? He's in year four of a rebuild, and there's a good chance the team doesn't make the playoffs again. How much mediocrity is Turd going to accept before he gets a real GM?

Unfortunately, he's got a long leash. He just got that extension in November and a new title.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#336 » by Benjammin » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:32 pm

Another quote: “I know Bradley Beal is the kind of guy you build your franchise around.” If he means the kind of guy, then sure. If he means THE guy, then no.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#337 » by FAH1223 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:09 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21&t=145LQPAutxWNot894ayHgw
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#338 » by 80sballboy » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:17 pm

A lot of vague comments and maybe 1/2 truths at best. That's what a GM is supposed to do before the draft.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,346

Post#339 » by nate33 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:06 pm

TGW wrote:How much of a leash does Sheppard get before he's replaced? He's in year four of a rebuild, and there's a good chance the team doesn't make the playoffs again. How much mediocrity is Turd going to accept before he gets a real GM?

Well, Year 4 hasn't actually started yet, so it has only been 3 years. He was handed a team with just Beal, the 9th pick in the 2019 draft, Troy Brown Jr., Thomas Bryant, Sato's RFA rights, and John "worst contract in the league" Wall.

How fast of a rebuild do you expect with that talent level? Particularly with Ted's ridiculous "never tank" mandate.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,316

Post#340 » by NatP4 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:10 pm

80sballboy wrote:A lot of vague comments and maybe 1/2 truths at best. That's what a GM is supposed to do before the draft.

This.

I did find the part about pre draft workouts interesting. Said he doesn’t really pay attention to the workout/on court part, brings guys in for the interviews and to get a feel for their character. Mentioned sneaking different people in throughout the day to interact with the player and asked the media to keep that info “in the room”.

Return to Washington Wizards