Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Re: Ish Smith signs 2-yr/$12m deal 

Post#61 » by nate33 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:46 pm

DCZards wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:
DCZards wrote:
It's alright to rely on Beal to create for teammates. He's good at it. But it's turned into an over reliance on Beal to create for others....as well as himself. But we've got to stop asking BB to do it all. He needs help. A player who can create for himself and others (like a true PG) can help ease the heavy load that was put on Beal last season.

True, Beal needs more help. Satoransky averaged 8.9 ppg and 5 apg in 27 minutes per game. Ish Smith averaged 8.9 ppg and 3.6 assist per game last season.

Smith averaged 14.4 ppg and 5.8 apg per 36 minutes. Satoransky averaged 11.8 ppg and 6.6 apg. The big difference of course is that Smith only has a .485 TS% while Sato has a .59 TS%. Basically per 36 minutes, it takes Ish Smith around 5 more shots (14 to 9 fga) generate those extra 2.6 ppg.

The big thing is that Smith is 30 while Satoransky is 27. Overall, I think more help would have been provided in the short term by re-signing Satoransky instead of Smith. That being said, the Wizards did get 2 2nd rounder so maybe that will work out for them in the long run.

No, the big thing is that Smith is costing $12 mil for 2 yrs., while Sato would have cost the Zards $30 mil over 3 yrs. :)

Agreed. This is not about who is better right now. This is a throwaway season.

All value judgments on any of these trades and acquisitions should be made as if it's June 30, 2020.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#62 » by pcbothwel » Tue Jul 2, 2019 8:33 pm

Man... I would have much preferred to trade Dwight for Ish in a SnT.
That way we could keep our Full MLE.
I see some decent players available that would be interesting gets:
Vonleh, KCP, Cousins... oh well
ktj2477
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#63 » by ktj2477 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 4:15 am

LuvDemBullets wrote:I'd love to sign Jeff Green and either Isaiah Thomas or one of those other PGs mentioned for the minimum if possible.

2019-2020
Ish Smith, Isaiah Thomas (or vice versa), John Wall (as head towel-waiver this season), Bonga in D-league?
Bradley Beal, Jordan McRae, Tarik Phillip
Jemerrio Jones (solely for D and rebounding), Troy Brown Jr., and whoever we can get for Jonathon Simmons or Dwight Howard in a trade
Jeff Green, Rui Hachimara (or vice versa), Schoffield (who may actually surprise everyone and start at the 3)
Thomas Bryant, Mo Wagner, Ian Mahinmi

2020-2021 (after we win the tank fest)
John Wall, Ish Smith, 2020 2nd rounder
Bradley Beal, Jordan McRae, Tarik Phillips
Troy Brown Jr., Jemerrio Jones, and whoever we can get for Jonathon Simmons or Dwight Howard
High Lottery Pick, Rui Hachimara, Schoffield vet minimum guy
Thomas Bryant, Mo Wagner

Not perfect, but moving in the right direction. I'm really excited about the potential of players like Jordan McRae, Jemerrio Jones, Troy Brown Jr., and Mo Wagner, who may all prove to be incredible bargains.

Even better if Wall comes back looking good and so we can trade him and get out from under his contract.

At the moment Ted is not willing to trade Wall so I think we should stop suggesting it. If Beal does not agree to the 3 year extension we have no choice but to trade him for future assets. Also keep in mind the moves that are being made now look like they are for life after Wall and Beal :dontknow:
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#64 » by doclinkin » Wed Jul 3, 2019 6:21 am

ktj2477 wrote:At the moment Ted is not willing to trade Wall so I think we should stop suggesting it. If Beal does not agree to the 3 year extension we have no choice but to trade him for future assets. Also keep in mind the moves that are being made now look like they are for life after Wall and Beal :dontknow:

I’d give up on suggesting a Beal trade as well. If Beal does not agree to the 3 year extension It likely means first that he is betting on himself to make all-nba in the time remaining on his contract and qualify for a super Max. If so that means he’s played damn well for this team and also means he is re signing here since a supermax can only be with the team you’re currently playing for. Then he’d play at least one more year here before he can be traded. He’s still a super valuable asset at that point. Only with even more experience and more accomplishments.

The side benefit to all these Beal rumors are that they raise his profile, in trade value if it ever comes to that, but better still in the eyes of fans and refs and popular opinion. That leads to better calls. Advertising revenue, merchandising and other ancillary benefits. A profitable team has more flexibility to make upgrades in all aspects of the team that don’t affect the salary cap. Coaches. Facilities. Training staff. Luxuries and team chef in the locker room. Etc. Potentially.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Post#65 » by gambitx777 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 8:05 am

I don't think it has anything to do with willing. I think it's timing
ktj2477 wrote:
LuvDemBullets wrote:I'd love to sign Jeff Green and either Isaiah Thomas or one of those other PGs mentioned for the minimum if possible.

2019-2020
Ish Smith, Isaiah Thomas (or vice versa), John Wall (as head towel-waiver this season), Bonga in D-league?
Bradley Beal, Jordan McRae, Tarik Phillip
Jemerrio Jones (solely for D and rebounding), Troy Brown Jr., and whoever we can get for Jonathon Simmons or Dwight Howard in a trade
Jeff Green, Rui Hachimara (or vice versa), Schoffield (who may actually surprise everyone and start at the 3)
Thomas Bryant, Mo Wagner, Ian Mahinmi

2020-2021 (after we win the tank fest)
John Wall, Ish Smith, 2020 2nd rounder
Bradley Beal, Jordan McRae, Tarik Phillips
Troy Brown Jr., Jemerrio Jones, and whoever we can get for Jonathon Simmons or Dwight Howard
High Lottery Pick, Rui Hachimara, Schoffield vet minimum guy
Thomas Bryant, Mo Wagner

Not perfect, but moving in the right direction. I'm really excited about the potential of players like Jordan McRae, Jemerrio Jones, Troy Brown Jr., and Mo Wagner, who may all prove to be incredible bargains.

Even better if Wall comes back looking good and so we can trade him and get out from under his contract.

At the moment Ted is not willing to trade Wall so I think we should stop suggesting it. If Beal does not agree to the 3 year extension we have no choice but to trade him for future assets. Also keep in mind the moves that are being made now look like they are for life after Wall and Beal :dontknow:

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#66 » by payitforward » Wed Jul 3, 2019 11:56 am

ktj2477 wrote:At the moment Ted is not willing to trade Wall so I think we should stop suggesting it. If Beal does not agree to the 3 year extension we have no choice but to trade him for future assets. Also keep in mind the moves that are being made now look like they are for life after Wall and Beal :dontknow:

Welcome KTJ -- glad to have you here!

...for life without Wall, certainly. But I don't think for life after Beal or without him. Brad turned 26 last weekend; he'll still be in his prime 3 years from now.

Doesn't mean we won't trade him. And, you are right that if he doesn't agree to an extension we can't plan around him.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#67 » by payitforward » Wed Jul 3, 2019 11:59 am

gambitx777 wrote:I don't think it has anything to do with willing. I think it's timing
ktj2477 wrote:At the moment Ted is not willing to trade Wall ...

Looks like you are in violent agreement! :)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 595

Post#68 » by BearlyBallin » Fri Dec 6, 2019 4:49 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
He’s had some good games. Hopefully we find someone to take IT when the time comes.
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#69 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 5, 2020 3:59 pm

I might need to eat a bit of crow on this. While I understood the Ish Smith signing and grudgingly ceded that it was probably better to have him and the Chicago 2nd rather than Sato, I still was underwhelmed and thought Ish Smith would be a pretty mediocre acquisition.

Boy was I wrong! He has been rock solid. It's weird, his stats are only so-so (15, 6 and 4 per 36 on a TS% of .524), but his impact has been tremendous! He brings so much pace to the second unit and he, along with Bertans, are the reason that 2nd unit continues to dominate all opposition regardless of who is hurt.

He's also very good at understanding what the team needs. He gets other players involved and knows how to ride the hot hand, but then he calls his own number when needed. He has been just about perfect in the way he thinks the game. A true pro.

Another great move by Sheppard.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Post#70 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Jan 5, 2020 4:05 pm

nate33 wrote:I might need to eat a bit of crow on this. While I understood the Ish Smith signing and grudgingly ceded that it was probably better to have him and the Chicago 2nd rather than Sato, I still was underwhelmed and though Ish Smith would be a pretty mediocre acquisition.

Boy was I wrong! He has been rock solid. It's weird, his stats are only so-so (15, 6 and 4 per 36 on a TS% of .524), but his impact has been tremendous! He brings so much pace to the second unit and he, along with Bertans, are the reason that 2nd unit continues to dominate all opposition regardless of who is hurt.

He's also very good at understanding what the team needs. He gets other players involved and knows how to ride the hot hand, but then he calls his own number when needed. He has been just about perfect in the way he thinks the game. A true pro.

Well said. He has proven to be a smart addition.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#71 » by DCZards » Sun Jan 5, 2020 5:57 pm

nate33 wrote:I might need to eat a bit of crow on this. While I understood the Ish Smith signing and grudgingly ceded that it was probably better to have him and the Chicago 2nd rather than Sato, I still was underwhelmed and though Ish Smith would be a pretty mediocre acquisition.

Nate, you're not alone when it comes to being totally surprised by how well Ish has played this season. I don't think anyone here thought he'd be this good. Like you, I'm impressed by how well he runs the team and gets others involved.

Ish never stops moving when he's on offense...whether he has the ball or not. He and Troy are a great fit. They feed off each other...both are good ballhandlers who like to play fast and aggressive on the offensive end. Both are constantly looking for opportunities to slash to the basket or to set up teammates for easy baskets.

The contrast between how Ish plays and how IT plays couldn't be greater.

Ish owned the crowd last night...it was electric as he carved up the Nuggets defense. Thanks primarily to Ish, last night's game was the most fun game I've been to in easily 2-3 years...and I attend around 35 games a year.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#72 » by closg00 » Sun Jan 5, 2020 6:42 pm

I'll take my serving of crow too, I was horribly wrong about Ish, is the 2nd year a player option :(
Eli Babak
Senior
And1: 506

Post#73 » by Eli Babak » Sun Jan 5, 2020 6:45 pm

closg00 wrote:I'll take my serving of crow too, I was horribly wrong about Ish, is the 2nd year a player option :(

Nope - that would've been something Ernie would've done. But Ish is here next year too and that's nice. :)

I also disliked the deal at first but he's been solid.

Eli Babak wrote:Ernie's ghost is still here... **** this ****...

What a horrible comment... :lol:
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#74 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 5, 2020 6:45 pm

closg00 wrote:I'll take my serving of crow too, I was horribly wrong about Ish, is the 2nd year a player option :(

No. No options on that 2nd year. He is a Wizard unless we trade him.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#75 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Jan 5, 2020 6:52 pm

No Beal .... In the past the comment would have been no Wall.

Basically they're sharing the ball and no super star is dominating the ball. There's a lot of defensive effort and off ball movement in starless games.

On top of that the other team has no scouting report against nameless players.

DCZards wrote:

Nate, you're not alone when it comes to being totally surprised by how well Ish has played this season. I don't think anyone here thought he'd be this good. Like you, I'm impressed by how well he runs the team and gets others involved.

Ish never stops moving when he's on offense...whether he has the ball or not. He and Troy are a great fit. They feed off each other...both are good ballhandlers who like to play fast and aggressive on the offensive end. Both are constantly looking for opportunities to slash to the basket or to set up teammates for easy baskets.

Ish owned the crowd last night...it was electric as he carved up the Nuggets defense.Thanks primarily to Ish, last night's game was the most fun game I've been to in easily 2-3 years...and I attend around 35 games a year.

Sent from my SM-A205U using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Post#76 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Jan 5, 2020 9:12 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:No Beal .... In the past the comment would have been no Wall.

Basically they're sharing the ball and no super star is dominating the ball. There's a lot of defensive effort and off ball movement in starless games.

On top of that the other team has no scouting report against nameless players.

DCZards wrote:

Ish owned the crowd last night...it was electric as he carved up the Nuggets defense.Thanks primarily to Ish, last night's game was the most fun game I've been to in easily 2-3 years...and I attend around 35 games a year.

Sent from my SM-A205U using RealGM mobile app

Everybody eats !! :D
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
Physhi
Ballboy
And1: 46

Post#77 » by Physhi » Sun Jan 5, 2020 9:50 pm

A lot of fans owe Ish an apology. Safe to say Ish is better for this team than Sato.
FREE CHIC-FIL-A FOR EVERYONE!
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 884

Post#78 » by badinage » Mon Jan 6, 2020 1:13 am

Which also means — an apology to (or an acknowledgement of the executive savvy of) one Tommy Sheppard.

I don’t just think that what’s called for is a fan to come on and say, Yeah, I guess I was wrong on this. No no. Something more voluminous and debasing is in order — say, six or seven or 11 posts of real length or at least heat that admit to fan blindness, fan hubris, fan presumption, etc., and beg for forgiveness for eating up our precious leisure time with certitudinous takes about something no one can know in advance.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#79 » by payitforward » Mon Jan 6, 2020 1:30 am

Wish I could have seen the Denver game, which seems to have been a lot of fun. But the box score alone tells you that Ish had a terrific game (ditto Brown, Williams &Pasecniks).

Of course, it's also typical of fans to decide that someone is terrific based on one game, or a few, & set about trumpeting the fact & laughing at other fans who are missing something so very obvious! :)

Still, for sure Ish is playing like the seasoned pro he is. Not to mention how very good he looks in comparison to Isaiah Thomas!!!!! :)
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#80 » by Kanyewest » Mon Jan 6, 2020 4:02 am

I'm sorry Ish.

Return to Washington Wizards