ImageImageImageImageImage

Ish Smith signs 2-yr/$12m deal

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Re: Ish Smith signs 2-yr/$12m deal 

Post#21 » by closg00 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:12 pm

MVPofDC wrote:A veteran PG on a cheap 2 yr deal when Wall is out for at least one year anyway...I'm ok with this deal. I rather this than moves like the massive overpay for Mahinmi.

Seems like the front office is being shrewd with the limited $ that is available and acquiring draft picks in the process. The future is bright.

Yup, I am hoping that they give Justin a real shot to see what he as to offer, perhaps he can steal that starting position.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#22 » by Dat2U » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:18 pm

Signing Ish Smith is clearly Sheppard first bad move. You can argue Rui, but you cannot defend this. Smith is not good. Like Kev said, he's replacement level. He's gotten plenty of minutes and opportunities to not be good so that lends him veteran status but in reality he's a fringe NBA guard who should probably be bouncing around the league for the minimum. Quick enough to make plays here and there, poor enough feel that he rarely makes two good decisions in a row and don't even talk about the defense.

G I. Smith ... Bonga ... Wall
G Beal ... McRae ... Phillip
F T. Brown Jr ... J. Jones
F Hachimura ... Schofield
C Bryant ... Wagner ... Mahinmi ... Howard

That's clearly a bottom 3 team in the league even despite Beal's presence.

Without Beal this team might be historically bad!
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#23 » by WallToWall » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:27 pm

He is a backup at best. For the money and 2 years, I will not complain.
We still need a PG who can start.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
closg00
RealGM

Post#24 » by closg00 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:27 pm

Dat2U wrote:Signing Ish Smith is clearly Sheppard first bad move. You can argue Rui, but you cannot defend this. Smith is not good. Like Kev said, he's replacement level. He's gotten plenty of minutes and opportunities to not be good so that lends him veteran status but in reality he's a fringe NBA guard who should probably be bouncing around the league for the minimum. Quick enough to make plays here and there, poor enough feel that he rarely makes two good decisions in a row and don't even talk about the defense.

You forgot about Justin Robinson, rather than throwing a rookie in-there, we have Smith for John's rehab year and comeback next year.
I am slightly disappointed though.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#25 » by nate33 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:29 pm

Dat2U wrote:Signing Ish Smith is clearly Sheppard first bad move. You can argue Rui, but you cannot defend this. Smith is not good. Like Kev said, he's replacement level. He's gotten plenty of minutes and opportunities to not be good so that lends him veteran status but in reality he's a fringe NBA guard who should probably be bouncing around the league for the minimum. Quick enough to make plays here and there, poor enough feel that he rarely makes two good decisions in a row and don't even talk about the defense.

Yeah, I'm not thrilled about the Ish Smith signing. He may have been one of the best of the lot remaining, but at 2 years $12M, we may have been better off taking our chances with Justin Robinson plus vet minimum journeymen.

I don't think we're a clear bottom 3. I think Beal alone can get us to 30 wins, which puts us in a group of the bottom 6 or 7. We could easily be better than Memphis, Cleveland, New York and Charlotte. And I'm not convinced that Chicago or Phoenix are any better either. And maybe one of Atlanta, Detroit, Miami or Minnesota slips up.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#26 » by Illuminaire » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:39 pm

This is actually perfect. Smith becomes the highest paid healthy PG on the roster, and one of the oldest players - so you know that Brooks will play him 39 minutes a night.

He also sucks balls.

Say hello to the captain of your tank, Ish Smith!
DANNYLANDOVER
Veteran
And1: 438

Post#27 » by DANNYLANDOVER » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:00 pm

Poor NatP4! Think I just saw him at Reagan, on a one-way flight to Chicago...

Yeah, this is a terrible move. I would've matched Sato's contract.
Mojo Amok
Pro Prospect
And1: 834

Post#28 » by Mojo Amok » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:02 pm

At least he's a willing passer and will try and get the youngsters into good spots.

But we clearly look bottom 3 to me - as constructed now, anyway. Beal is great, but there's something like 2,800 total minutes of NBA experience in the entire frontcourt if Howard gets cut and Mahinmi doesn't play. Bryant accounts for half of that.

It's a team of interns.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#29 » by Dat2U » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:07 pm

nate33 wrote:

Yeah, I'm not thrilled about the Ish Smith signing. He may have been one of the best of the lot remaining, but at 2 years $12M, we may have been better off taking our chances with Justin Robinson plus vet minimum journeymen.

I don't think we're a clear bottom 3. I think Beal alone can get us to 30 wins, which puts us in a group of the bottom 6 or 7. We could easily be better than Memphis, Cleveland, New York and Charlotte. And I'm not convinced that Chicago or Phoenix are any better either. And maybe one of Atlanta, Detroit, Miami or Minnesota slips up.

Beal ain't that good bro.

Bryant is clearly the 2nd best player on our team. Who's the 3rd? Troy Brown Jr? Jordan McRae? Ish Smith? :o

Most nights we'll be overmanned.

Offensively we might be okay some nights but where we'll set records for futility is on defense.

Giving up 130 a night will be the norm.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#30 » by FAH1223 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:19 pm

Dat2U wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Beal ain't that good bro.

Bryant is clearly the 2nd best player on our team. Who's the 3rd? Troy Brown Jr? Jordan McRae? Ish Smith? :o

Most nights we'll be overmanned.

Offensively we might be okay some nights but where we'll set records for futility is on defense.

Giving up 130 a night will be the norm.

I'd have targeted

Elfrid Payton

Moe Harkless with TPE

Noah Vonleh on a flyer or JayMychal Green

Team really lacks guys who can even play defense. It is scary bad. :lol:
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#31 » by 80sballboy » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:28 pm

I doubt they end up with a starting lineup of Bryant, Hachimura and Troy Brown Jr. up front. Shep will find some vet to play though it may end up being Jeff Green. Defensively, yes, we will set records for futility.
closg00
RealGM

Post#32 » by closg00 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:30 pm

Here's a thought since it's a tank-year. Brown used to play PG and has some handles, just let the two Brown's run the point and use the money elsewhere. Oh-well
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#33 » by 80sballboy » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:39 pm

closg00 wrote:Here's a thought since it's a tank-year. Brown used to play PG and has some handles, just let the two Brown's run the point and use the money elsewhere. Oh-well

Then who plays small forward? Admiral Schofield? This is a tank year no doubt, but they do want to put a somewhat competitive team on the floor and not just throw a bunch of kids that aren't ready and will get humiliated.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#34 » by nate33 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:43 pm

80sballboy wrote:
closg00 wrote:Here's a thought since it's a tank-year. Brown used to play PG and has some handles, just let the two Brown's run the point and use the money elsewhere. Oh-well

Then who plays small forward? Admiral Schofield? This is a tank year no doubt, but they do want to put a somewhat competitive team on the floor and not just throw a bunch of kids that aren't ready and will get humiliated.

They could have used free agency money on a SF instead of a PG.

I really think this would have been a good idea. If nothing else, playing a wing like Troy Brown at PG is a good player development experience. You get so many more opportunities to make in-game decisions, just like how Milwaukee developed Giannis.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#35 » by 80sballboy » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:58 pm

nate33 wrote:
80sballboy wrote:

They could have used free agency money on a SF instead of a PG.

I really think this would have been a good idea. If nothing else, playing a wing like Troy Brown at PG is a good player development experience. You get so many more opportunities to make in-game decisions, just like how Milwaukee developed Giannis.

There's zero chance that Brooks would have started Troy Brown at point guard unless that was his only option. Now, could he bring the ball up in some situations and basically run the point this season at times? Sure, he did that a bit last year. They'll go dumpster diving for some washed up vet or just keep what they have. I guess Simmons is still an option?
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#36 » by queridiculo » Mon Jul 1, 2019 4:04 pm

Any news yet on how Smith was signed? This had to have been out of the MLE right, or is there some other mechanism by which he could have landed here?

A bit disappointing, the MLE was the one shot the Wizards had to perhaps make a late impact signing.

Shooting your wad on the first day of FA for Ish Smith... quite underwhelming.

Co-sign anybody who mentioned Elfrid Payton, not a great group of players to pick from out there either though. Slim pickins out there, maybe Shelvin Mack?
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#37 » by Kanyewest » Mon Jul 1, 2019 4:18 pm

queridiculo wrote:Any news yet on how Smith was signed? This had to have been out of the MLE right, or is there some other mechanism by which he could have landed here?

A bit disappointing, the MLE was the one shot the Wizards had to perhaps make a late impact signing.

Shooting your wad on the first day of FA for Ish Smith... quite underwhelming.

Co-sign anybody who mentioned Elfrid Payton, not a great group of players to pick from out there either though. Slim pickins out there, maybe Shelvin Mack?

Some guys who are free agents (unless they signed somewhere over the last few hours)
Quinn Cook, Rondo, Isiah Thomas, Jeremy Lin, TJ McConnell, Delon Wright, Devin Harris, Alex Caruso, Shaun Livingston (likely to get bought out), George Hill, Cory Joseph, Seth Curry.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#38 » by 80sballboy » Mon Jul 1, 2019 4:21 pm

Read on Twitter
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#39 » by 80sballboy » Mon Jul 1, 2019 4:22 pm

Read on Twitter
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#40 » by DCZards » Mon Jul 1, 2019 4:31 pm

I expect Troy Brown to get a lot of run at PG. This also bodes well for Robinson's chances of getting minutes with the big team...in addition to probably playing with the Go-Gos.

Return to Washington Wizards