ImageImageImageImageImage

Ish Smith signs 2-yr/$12m deal

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Re: Ish Smith signs 2-yr/$12m deal 

Post#41 » by truwizfan4evr » Mon Jul 1, 2019 4:33 pm

Quin cook over elfred Peyton?? I don't know about this tommy.
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#42 » by truwizfan4evr » Mon Jul 1, 2019 4:37 pm

I would get Peyton still young with upside. Other then that it doesn't matter we we get. Were tanking to secure our future maybe get a top 5 pick.
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,350

Post#43 » by Kanyewest » Mon Jul 1, 2019 4:52 pm

truwizfan4evr wrote:I would get Peyton still young with upside. Other then that it doesn't matter we we get. Were tanking to secure our future maybe get a top 5 pick.

Payton is certainly bigger and more athletic but both are around the same age- Payton is 25 and Cook is 26.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#44 » by 80sballboy » Mon Jul 1, 2019 5:29 pm

Again, just another opinion
Read on Twitter
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,304

Post#45 » by nate33 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 5:50 pm

It's worth noting that Ish has had a substantially positive on/off differential for 3 years now. Granted, he was replacing Reggie Jackson, which will make anyone look good. But still, that Detroit team is pretty terrible talentwise outside of Griffin and Drummond, but they managed to play .500 ball for the past 3 seasons and were better with Ish on the floor.

Maybe he is a bit more effective than his box score stats suggest.

ESPN's RPM has him as the 52nd best PG, but they have some glitches in there (Dwayne Dedmon and Zach Lavine at PG, for example). If you ignore the obvious glitches and only count guys who averaged 20 or more minutes for 50 or more games, he ranks 37th. Basically a high end backup or a bad starter, which is pretty much what you expect for $6M.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,970

Post#46 » by DCZards » Mon Jul 1, 2019 5:55 pm

Dub post
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#47 » by Kanyewest » Mon Jul 1, 2019 6:06 pm

80sballboy wrote:Again, just another opinion
Read on Twitter

This guy is all over the place

Read on Twitter
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#48 » by keynote » Mon Jul 1, 2019 6:12 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Those two tweets read consistent to me: Sato is long and versatile; Ish is (in his mind) more of a pure/traditional point. Sato is the better player; Ish is a cheaper stopgap.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#49 » by Kanyewest » Mon Jul 1, 2019 6:14 pm

keynote wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Those two tweets read consistent to me: Sato is long and versatile; Ish is (in his mind) more of a pure/traditional point. Sato is the better player; Ish is a cheaper stopgap.

I guess.
For me, the value of a true point guard is lowered in today's NBA especially when Beal can create for his teammates. Plus Sato does a better job spacing the floor. Not to mention that Smith is in his 30s and likely to decline as someone's game is predicated on speed.
LuvDemBullets
Senior
And1: 1

Post#50 » by LuvDemBullets » Mon Jul 1, 2019 6:40 pm

I'd love to sign Jeff Green and either Isaiah Thomas or one of those other PGs mentioned for the minimum if possible.

2019-2020
Ish Smith, Isaiah Thomas (or vice versa), John Wall (as head towel-waiver this season), Bonga in D-league?
Bradley Beal, Jordan McRae, Tarik Phillip
Jemerrio Jones (solely for D and rebounding), Troy Brown Jr., and whoever we can get for Jonathon Simmons or Dwight Howard in a trade
Jeff Green, Rui Hachimara (or vice versa), Schoffield (who may actually surprise everyone and start at the 3)
Thomas Bryant, Mo Wagner, Ian Mahinmi

2020-2021 (after we win the tank fest)
John Wall, Ish Smith, 2020 2nd rounder
Bradley Beal, Jordan McRae, Tarik Phillips
Troy Brown Jr., Jemerrio Jones, and whoever we can get for Jonathon Simmons or Dwight Howard
High Lottery Pick, Rui Hachimara, Schoffield vet minimum guy
Thomas Bryant, Mo Wagner

Not perfect, but moving in the right direction. I'm really excited about the potential of players like Jordan McRae, Jemerrio Jones, Troy Brown Jr., and Mo Wagner, who may all prove to be incredible bargains.

Even better if Wall comes back looking good and so we can trade him and get out from under his contract.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#51 » by payitforward » Mon Jul 1, 2019 6:42 pm

Dat2U wrote:Signing Ish Smith is clearly Sheppard first bad move. You can argue Rui, but you cannot defend this. Smith is not good. Like Kev said, he's replacement level. He's gotten plenty of minutes and opportunities to not be good so that lends him veteran status but in reality he's a fringe NBA guard who should probably be bouncing around the league for the minimum. Quick enough to make plays here and there, poor enough feel that he rarely makes two good decisions in a row and don't even talk about the defense.

G I. Smith ... Bonga ... Wall
G Beal ... McRae ... Phillip
F T. Brown Jr ... J. Jones
F Hachimura ... Schofield
C Bryant ... Wagner ... Mahinmi ... Howard

That's clearly a bottom 3 team in the league even despite Beal's presence.

Without Beal this team might be historically bad!

I don't love this signing, but I'm not calling it "a bad move." It's irrelevant.

Real question is who you would have signed instead of Smith. If there's a better, especially a better and cheaper, player available, that's one thing. If not...

Here's who is available: https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/ufa/point-guard/available/

I'd have picked up T.J. McConnell (as Dat knows :) ).
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 896

Post#52 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Mon Jul 1, 2019 11:04 pm

I would've preferred Jerian Grant.

At least he's a good defender.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
DCZards
General Manager

Post#53 » by DCZards » Tue Jul 2, 2019 1:14 am

Kanyewest wrote:
I guess.
For me, the value of a true point guard is lowered in today's NBA especially when Beal can create for his teammates. Plus Sato does a better job spacing the floor. Not to mention that Smith is in his 30s and likely to decline as someone's game is predicated on speed.

It's alright to rely on Beal to create for teammates. He's good at it. But it's turned into an over reliance on Beal to create for others....as well as himself. But we've got to stop asking BB to do it all. He needs help. A player who can create for himself and others (like a true PG) can help ease the heavy load that was put on Beal last season.
TheBabyMaker
Starter
And1: 852

Post#54 » by TheBabyMaker » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:09 am

queridiculo wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:I might watch 5 games tops this year if this is the roster.

IT starting would at least provide some entertainment.

Shrug, not sure what you expected.

The Wizards are capped, Wall is out for the year, what readily apparent moves did you have in mind that would propel the Wizards from likely lottery candidate to winning somewhere around 40 games?

There's enough here to keep me interested in what's likely going to turn out to be a race to the bottom.

Rui Hachimura, baby Admiral, how is Bryant going to look with a full offseason under his belt and the benefit of being able to return to the same organization.

Is Beal going to take another step, what about Troy Brown Jr. and are we going to see Wall after the All-Star break?

How will he look in limited minutes, how is Brooks doing, and what about the never ending GM search?

I'm reasonably excited, and my expectations are low.

Sounds like a true unfortunate Wiz fan here just like me. :lol: :(
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#55 » by Kanyewest » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:42 am

DCZards wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:
I guess.

It's alright to rely on Beal to create for teammates. He's good at it. But it's turned into an over reliance on Beal to create for others....as well as himself. But we've got to stop asking BB to do it all. He needs help. A player who can create for himself and others (like a true PG) can help ease the heavy load that was put on Beal last season.

True, Beal needs more help. Satoransky averaged 8.9 ppg and 5 apg in 27 minutes per game. Ish Smith averaged 8.9 ppg and 3.6 assist per game last season.

Smith averaged 14.4 ppg and 5.8 apg per 36 minutes. Satoransky averaged 11.8 ppg and 6.6 apg. The big difference of course is that Smith only has a .485 TS% while Sato has a .59 TS%. Basically per 36 minutes, it takes Ish Smith around 5 more shots (14 to 9 fga) generate those extra 2.6 ppg.

The big thing is that Smith is 30 while Satoransky is 27. Overall, I think more help would have been provided in the short term by re-signing Satoransky instead of Smith. That being said, the Wizardds did get 2 2nd rounder so maybe that will work out for them in the long run.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#56 » by Dat2U » Tue Jul 2, 2019 2:12 pm

Just a daily reminder that Shepp decided to blow his wad on a replacement level retread in on the 2nd day of free agency instead of making a run at a young guy like Delon Wright.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,304

Post#57 » by nate33 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 2:22 pm

Dat2U wrote:Just a daily reminder that Shepp decided to blow his wad on a replacement level retread in on the 2nd day of free agency instead of making a run at a young guy like Delon Wright.

I agree with you that Ish was an overpay and probably a panic move. But I don't think Delon Wright is obtainable. He is restricted.

The guy I'd really have preferred to get is Vonleh. I'm willing to live with some combination of Isaiah Thomas, Troy Brown and Corey Davis at PG until Wall gets back. I like the idea of Vonleh's defense and rebounding to back up Thomas. And Vonleh and Thomas both shoot just well enough that they can probably share the court at times.
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 547

Post#58 » by daSwami » Tue Jul 2, 2019 2:28 pm

Dat2U wrote:Just a daily reminder that Shepp decided to blow his wad on a replacement level retread in on the 2nd day of free agency instead of making a run at a young guy like Delon Wright.

Also a daily reminder: Grunfeld is gone.
:banghead:
DCZards
General Manager

Post#59 » by DCZards » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:38 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
DCZards wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:
I guess.

True, Beal needs more help. Satoransky averaged 8.9 ppg and 5 apg in 27 minutes per game. Ish Smith averaged 8.9 ppg and 3.6 assist per game last season.

Smith averaged 14.4 ppg and 5.8 apg per 36 minutes. Satoransky averaged 11.8 ppg and 6.6 apg. The big difference of course is that Smith only has a .485 TS% while Sato has a .59 TS%. Basically per 36 minutes, it takes Ish Smith around 5 more shots (14 to 9 fga) generate those extra 2.6 ppg.

The big thing is that Smith is 30 while Satoransky is 27. Overall, I think more help would have been provided in the short term by re-signing Satoransky instead of Smith. That being said, the Wizardds did get 2 2nd rounder so maybe that will work out for them in the long run.

No, the big thing is that Smith is costing $12 mil for 2 yrs., while Sato would have cost $30 mil over 3 yrs.

With Wall coming back at least by the 2020-21 season and Brown showing some ability to play the point, I can understand the Zards not being willing to commit that much money to Sato.
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#60 » by Kanyewest » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:42 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
DCZards wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:
I guess.

The big thing is that Smith is 30 while Satoransky is 27. Overall, I think more help would have been provided in the short term by re-signing Satoransky instead of Smith. That being said, the Wizardds did get 2 2nd rounder so maybe that will work out for them in the long run.[/quoted]

I think the bigger thing was that it took 2 2nd rounders, which is all it took to acquire Satoransky. I just don't think Smith is worth 6 million a year, given he is coming off an injured season. Satoransky is probably worth a bit more because he can play multiple positions.

Return to Washington Wizards