nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,324

Re: Isaiah Thomas agrees to one-year deal with Wiz 

Post#101 » by nate33 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:57 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
nate33 wrote:
Likewise, the team looks much better when Isaiah is out there with the bench and not the starters:

Is the same true for Ish?

Good question. Here are Ish's stats as a starter or reserve:

The on/off differential says that the team does a little better with him as a reserve, but one must factor that the reserves are playing other reserves. Going up against starters, the team is merely -1.6 per 100 possessions with Ish at the helm. I can live with that. It's also notable that Ish himself is slightly more effective as a starter (higher shooting percentage, lower turnover rate).

Now compare him with Isaiah Thomas

The starting unit is a train wreck with Isaiah at the helm - a -9.3 on/off differential. The bench unit is better, but still not positive. And statistically, Isaiah himself is much better with the bench - more points and assists with higher shooting percentages.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,972

Re: GT #16 Wiz @ Suns 11/27 9pm 

Post#102 » by DCZards » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:46 pm

I'm happy that IT is getting some serious run with the Zards and is being given a chance to revive his career. But I don't understand why Brooks would have IT in the lineup down the stretch against Phoenix and bench Ish who was playing well and having one of his best games. Didn't make sense to me then and doesn't make sense to me now.

I don't mind the losing but I do believe you should always put your best foot forward, especially at crunch time. Ish has been clearly outplaying IT recently.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,356

Post#103 » by doclinkin » Sun Dec 1, 2019 2:21 am

DCZards wrote:I'm happy that IT is getting some serious run with the Zards and is being given a chance to revive his career. But I don't understand why Brooks would have IT in the lineup down the stretch against Phoenix and bench Ish who was playing well and having one of his best games. Didn't make sense to me then and doesn't make sense to me now.

I don't mind the losing but I do believe you should always put your best foot forward, especially at crunch time. Ish has been clearly outplaying IT recently.

Review the 2020 draft thread then look at the septic back-up of records at the bottom of the East. Consider that even with this record we threaten to be in the 8th spot. Then consider that Wall comes back at some point to take over the IT minutes, with vengeance on his mind and something to prove. We need to pad our record with all the early losses we can in case the young pups start to put it together late in the year on defense and John Wall gives us a shot of energy while other teams are committing to the tank. Recall Ernie disliked and distrusted the draft, but Tommy is running the show, who loves the entire draft process. And we have an analytic department that can clearly see the effect of old dog IT on our box score. No doubt Brooks has his directive: play IT in the starter and closer role, like a drag chute. Handicap our young pups and challenge them to win anyway.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#104 » by nate33 » Sun Dec 1, 2019 3:07 pm

doclinkin wrote:
DCZards wrote:I'm happy that IT is getting some serious run with the Zards and is being given a chance to revive his career. But I don't understand why Brooks would have IT in the lineup down the stretch against Phoenix and bench Ish who was playing well and having one of his best games. Didn't make sense to me then and doesn't make sense to me now.

Review the 2020 draft thread then look at the septic back-up of records at the bottom of the East. Consider that even with this record we threaten to be in the 8th spot. Then consider that Wall comes back at some point to take over the IT minutes, with vengeance on his mind and something to prove. We need to pad our record with all the early losses we can in case the young pups start to put it together late in the year on defense and John Wall gives us a shot of energy while other teams are committing to the tank. Recall Ernie disliked and distrusted the draft, but Tommy is running the show, who loves the entire draft process. And we have an analytic department that can clearly see the effect of old dog IT on our box score. No doubt Brooks has his directive: play IT in the starter and closer role, like a drag chute. Handicap our young pups and challenge them to win anyway.

I'd love for this to be true, but I find it hard to believe.

The problem is that IT sabotages the primary goal of the season: to learn to play the right way. It would be one thing if IT was in the Michael Ruffin category of suck: a guy that plays hard and smart but just doesn't have NBA talent. That guy can teach his teammates a thing or two about hard work and effort. All IT is teaching is how to loaf on defense.

If we're stealth tanking, then we should be playing Justin Robinson in place of IT. And Beal shouldn't be 6th in the league in minutes played per game.

To me, the only defensible argument for IT as a starter is that they really think he'll regain his old form as he gets his basketball rhythm back, and then he'll be a trade asset. Unfortunately, I feel like it's going the other way. He looked okay in his first few games, but now teams have scouted him and they know he can't get around anyone, even on switches. They'll switch a big plodder onto him and not worry about it all, which renders our pick-and-roll attack useless when IT is the ball handler.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,356

Post#105 » by doclinkin » Sun Dec 1, 2019 4:45 pm

nate33 wrote:
doclinkin wrote:

I'd love for this to be true, but I find it hard to believe.

The problem is that IT sabotages the primary goal of the season: to learn to play the right way. It would be one thing if IT was in the Michael Ruffin category of suck: a guy that plays hard and smart but just doesn't have NBA talent. That guy can teach his teammates a thing or two about hard work and effort. All IT is teaching is how to loaf on defense.

If we're stealth tanking, then we should be playing Justin Robinson in place of IT. And Beal shouldn't be 6th in the league in minutes played per game.

To me, the only defensible argument for IT as a starter is that they really think he'll regain his old form as he gets his basketball rhythm back, and then he'll be a trade asset. Unfortunately, I feel like it's going the other way. He looked okay in his first few games, but now teams have scouted him and they know he can't get around anyone, even on switches. They'll switch a big plodder onto him and not worry about it all, which renders our pick-and-roll attack useless when IT is the ball handler.

You can't close the game with a rookie PG. Playing IT you can lose while looking like you are trying to win. He hits big shots, 38% from 3, scores in traffic and fans and players alike respect the guy beyond his ability on court. Playing IT sells tickets, league interest, and adds an injection of moxie to a losing team. IT exemplifies the concept of the 'size of the fight in the dog'. He's a good rabbit to chase for younger players about not getting down in the face of adversity. Contrast his body language with Beal. IT has swagger even when the team is losing. Beal still sulks a few seconds if he doesn't get a call. Playing IT looks like you want to succeed even while the box score says the opposite. But you have to believe this front office knows how to read a plus/minus chart. Coach OG Dean Oliver will clearly point out all the factors you are giving up by playing him over Ish. But the team is fun to watch when IT hits a big shot even if he gives up three or four before he hits it. Playing Justin Robinson concedes this is a rebuilding year, you don't expect to win. IT expects to win against all odds and evidence and stats. The attitude carries. I'm fine playing him in a losing year and in Big moments. Our best future comes from a lotto selection not a few more minutes for a back-up PG.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,678

Post#106 » by penbeast0 » Sun Dec 1, 2019 10:33 pm

nate33 wrote:...Beal shouldn't be 6th in the league in minutes played per game....

Preach it brother!
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 594

Post#107 » by BearlyBallin » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:18 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Looks like the games off helped. I’ve never been a fan of IT but I am glad to see him do well.
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#108 » by pcbothwel » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:05 pm

I dont care how bad he is on defense, a PG that can give you 13 / 5 / 2 in 25 MPG with a TS north of 57% and a greater than 2:1 AST:TOV ratio is worth something in this league...especially on the Vet Min.

No reason he isnt moved by the deadline
DCZards
General Manager

Post#109 » by DCZards » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:11 pm

pcbothwel wrote:I dont care how bad he is on defense, a PG that can give you 13 / 5 / 2 in 25 MPG with a TS north of 57% and a greater than 2:1 AST:TOV ratio is worth something in this league...especially on the Vet Min.

Yeah...if he keeps this up there will be some playoffs looking to trade for IT at the deadline. Not only can the little guy still score, he's also been clutch.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#110 » by nate33 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:29 pm

pcbothwel wrote:I dont care how bad he is on defense, a PG that can give you 13 / 5 / 2 in 25 MPG with a TS north of 57% and a greater than 2:1 AST:TOV ratio is worth something in this league...especially on the Vet Min.

He'll be unplayable in the playoffs so I don't think there will be much interest. The one caveat is that I could see a team with a short term injury to their starting point guard looking to trade for IT as a stopgap to get through a stretch of the regular season. If somebody like Malcolm Brogdon rolls an ankle and is out 6-8 weeks, maybe Indy trades a late 2nd for IT.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant

Post#111 » by pcbothwel » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:15 pm

Nate... Philly right now relies on Trey Burke and Raul Neto for almost 30MPG at the PG spot, The Suns have NOTHING behind Rubio, and Utah is trotting out a pretty bad Mudiay behind a 32 y/o Conley.... IT is far from unplayable
DCZards
General Manager

Post#112 » by DCZards » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:42 pm

pcbothwel wrote:Nate... Philly right now relies on Trey Burke and Raul Neto for almost 30MPG at the PG spot, The Suns have NOTHING behind Rubio, and Utah is trotting out a pretty bad Mudiay behind a 32 y/o Conley.... IT is far from unplayable

IT actually might be a good fit in Philly...even during the playoffs. You've got Embiid protecting the rim on D and Simmons, one of the best guard/wing defenders in the game, roaming the perimeter. That would help cover up IT's defensive weaknesses.

Meanwhile, IT would be that shooter/scorer that the Sixers need on the offensive end to help make up for the piss poor outside shooting of Simmons.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant

Post#113 » by pcbothwel » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:05 pm

DCZards wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:Nate... Philly right now relies on Trey Burke and Raul Neto for almost 30MPG at the PG spot, The Suns have NOTHING behind Rubio, and Utah is trotting out a pretty bad Mudiay behind a 32 y/o Conley.... IT is far from unplayable

IT actually might be a good fit in Philly...even during the playoffs. You've got Embiid protecting the rim on D and Simmons, one of the best guard/wing defenders in the game, roaming the perimeter. That would help cover up IT's defensive weaknesses.

Meanwhile, IT would be that shooter/scorer that the Sixers need on the offensive end to help make up for the piss poor outside shooting of Simmons.

Yeah... Im quite confused as to why they didnt make a move to sign him this summer as a buy low option. If there is any group of players in the league that compliment IT well, its Simmons, Embiid, Thybulle, and Richardson.

Between Milton, Bolden, Zhaire, and their 2nds... Im sure we could figure something out.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#114 » by nate33 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:34 pm

You didn't notice that Burke has only played in 10 games. Burke and Neto have actually combined to play a total of 470 minutes in 28 games. That's 16.8 minutes a game. That minutes total will drop in the playoffs. They literally only play when Simmons is on the bench.

And Burke has been better than Isaiah.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,334

Post#115 » by dobrojim » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:31 pm

I never had much hope that he would be useful if our goal was to win and/or make the playoffs.
What has struck me is that my recollection of a cagey player well aware of his size disadvantage
that used to be able to get off shots in 1on1 situations hasn't been seen. If he's open for a 3, I'm good
with him shooting it (most of the time) but it just seems like he very frequently turns down open
looks and ends up in situations where he is just embarrassing himself and creating what are
essentially live ball TOs. Ish Smith has been way better to my eye (damning with faint praise).
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#116 » by BigA » Sun Jan 5, 2020 2:03 pm

On BF, what's the deal with IT?

Tommy needs to provide clarity on IT

Return to Washington Wizards