ImageImageImageImageImage

Isaiah Thomas agrees to one-year deal with Wiz

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

TheBabyMaker
Starter
And1: 852

Re: WOJ: Isaiah Thomas agrees to one-year deal with Wiz 

Post#41 » by TheBabyMaker » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:01 am

Damn we are going to fight for 9th seed again. WTF anyways get your grove back IT and shut the haters (including me) down.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#42 » by 80sballboy » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:06 am

TheBabyMaker wrote:Damn we are going to fight for 9th seed again. WTF anyways get your grove back IT and shut the haters (including me) down.

How? Oh wait, a healthy Dwight Howard goes for 16 and 10 again, Bryant is held to 12 and 8 because Brooks plays the vet, IT for 16 and 6, Ish 10 and 4 at the point, Rui and the Admiral are solid contributors, Beal goes for 27 and 6 and 6, Wall returns late in the season for the playoff push. It's on for the 9th seed! :D
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#43 » by Shoe » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:07 am

Connelly recommended him to Sheppard. It's a good signing.
TheBabyMaker
Starter

Post#44 » by TheBabyMaker » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:14 am

80sballboy wrote:
TheBabyMaker wrote:Damn we are going to fight for 9th seed again. WTF anyways get your grove back IT and shut the haters (including me) down.

How? Oh wait, a healthy Dwight Howard goes for 16 and 10 again, Bryant is held to 12 and 8 because Brooks plays the vet, IT for 16 and 6, Ish 10 and 4 at the point, Rui and the Admiral are solid contributors, Beal goes for 27 and 6 and 6, Wall returns late in the season for the playoff push. It's on for the 9th seed! :D

HEY HEY HEY, stop dreaming buddy. :o

We got 12th or 13th locked down.
Eli Babak
Senior
And1: 506

Post#45 » by Eli Babak » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:36 am

MDStar wrote:
nate33 wrote:IT is just for 1 throwaway year. Ish for 2. Those 2nd round picks could be with the team a long time.

Nate - Do you think Tomas would’ve signed for just 2 years? It seems to be that the Wizards are tying to maintain as much flexibility in the 2021 offseason as possible, which may have been a sticking point in the Sato negotiations.

I think I read somewhere that 3rd year in Sato's deal is partially guaranteed...

I'm fine with signing IT but that Smith deal is just waste of money.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#46 » by queridiculo » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:39 am

Yikes, as if it's not going to be depressing enough watching the Wizards try to win games :lol:

Now Wizards fans will have a constant reminder of how sour things have turned with every shot of the bench on game nights.

Defensive futility is apparently something we will have to get used to.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#47 » by Kanyewest » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:47 am

nate33 wrote:Instead of paying Ish $6M and IT $1.6M, I'd rather just have Sato at $10M.

But would you rather have Ish at 6 million, IT at 1.6, 2 second rounder, and a trade exception or Sato at 10 million?
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#48 » by Kanyewest » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:55 am

smoothSeph wrote:Good signing. You have to put some kind of vets around young guys or they won’t be able to play their game. Best case we get old IT, worst case we’re playing for a top 5 pick. Not a Grunfeld signing at all

It will be a Grunfeld signing if he blows up and the Wizards sign him to a long term contract like DeShawn Stevenson or Martell Webster.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#49 » by dlts20 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 5:01 am

I honestly can see him averaging 25ppg next season
TheBabyMaker
Starter

Post#50 » by TheBabyMaker » Tue Jul 2, 2019 5:08 am

dlts20 wrote:I honestly can see him averaging 25ppg next season

He is going to try to prove a point but is he healthy, BBall wise.? If so let him and Beal try to set records (scoring) during games. They damn sure not going to win much.
TheBabyMaker
Starter

Post#51 » by TheBabyMaker » Tue Jul 2, 2019 5:09 am

TheBabyMaker wrote:
dlts20 wrote:I honestly can see him averaging 25ppg next season

He is going to try to prove a point but is he healthy, BBall wise.? If so let him and Beal try to set records (scoring) during games. They damn sure not going to win much with the rest of the roster.
smoothSeph
Pro Prospect
And1: 526

Post#52 » by smoothSeph » Tue Jul 2, 2019 5:10 am

Kanyewest wrote:
smoothSeph wrote:Good signing. You have to put some kind of vets around young guys or they won’t be able to play their game. Best case we get old IT, worst case we’re playing for a top 5 pick. Not a Grunfeld signing at all

It will be a Grunfeld signing if he blows up and the Wizards sign him to a long term contract like DeShawn Stevenson or Martell Webster.

Let’s get there first. Lol but if TS letting Sato go for 3/30 is any indication I think we’ll be fine
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#53 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:09 am

Doesn't address defense still, but the combination of Isaiah Thomas and Ish Smith makes me feel better about the thought process of Tommy Sheppard regarding the PG position; I was worried he was settling on Justin Robinson or Isaac Bonga as Smith's backup.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#54 » by closg00 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:21 am

It would have been just as tanktastic to have the PG rotation be: Ish, Justin, Troy, and the rooks could have gotten valuable playing/development time
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,904

Post#55 » by TGW » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:08 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
nate33 wrote:Instead of paying Ish $6M and IT $1.6M, I'd rather just have Sato at $10M.

But would you rather have Ish at 6 million, IT at 1.6, 2 second rounder, and a trade exception or Sato at 10 million?

Sato at $10MM, and it's not even close. You don't let a solid rotation guy on a value contract go just to replace him with two players that may not be in the NBA past next season and some second rounders.

Sheppard is looking shaky. The mom-n-pop clown show is still alive.
LuvDemBullets
Senior
And1: 1

Post#56 » by LuvDemBullets » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:52 pm

I like this move, because there is absolutely no risk. Now we just have to sign Jeff Green and maybe dump Simmons, Ian, etc. for another pick. Considering what he had to work with, I think Shep has done an incredible job so far.

We're still lottery-bound, but this team will be fun to watch. If either Isaiah Thomas or Dwight Howard surprises us, this could be a REALLY fun team to watch on the nights where they are on (which unfortunately won't be often).

We'll be in the lottery next season, with more assets than we could've possibly imagined considering what Shep inherited, with actual draft picks to use to continue to rebuild.

2019-2020:
Isaiah Thomas, Ish Smith, Justin Robinson, Isaac Bonga
Bradley Beal, Jordan McRae, Tarik Phillip
Jeff Green, Troy Brown Jr., Jemerrio Jones
Rui Hachimura, Admiral Schofield, Mo Wagner, Jonathon Simmons
Dwight Howard, Thomas Bryant, Ian Mahinmi
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Post#57 » by nate33 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:58 pm

TGW wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:

Sato at $10MM, and it's not even close. You don't let a solid rotation guy on a value contract go just to replace him with two players that may not be in the NBA past next season and some second rounders.

Sheppard is looking shaky. The mom-n-pop clown show is still alive.

I don't think there's anything "mom-n-pop" about this move. Sheppard clearly has a well thought out, future oriented plan that he is executing. They are tanking for a season and building for 2 or 3 years down the road. It's a good plan.

My only gripe about it is the Ish Smith signing. I get that they are trying to balance competent play now with flexibility in the future. And that ultimately, they let Sato go because the future benefits (the picks and cap flexibility) outweighed the current loss in talent. My problem is that they spent $6M to get Ish Smith who is only marginally better than a vet-minimum guy. Heck, the signing of Isaiah Thomas proves that Ish Smith was unnecessary. Why not just go with Isaiah as the PG and Brown/Beal as backup PG's, and thereby save $6M which could have been used on a guy like Noah Vonleh?
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#58 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 1:01 pm

I was listening to Fred Katz' podcast on the way into work, I think we would rather all have Sato (at least for me, at less than what he got from Chicago) but it doesn't sound like he was yearning to come back to the team. That's the key, if the player doesn't want to come back, then all this talk about "I'd rather have Sato" is kinda pointless. I never got the sense Sato ever wanted to be here, it took 4 years for him to make the trek to the States. Edit: If his rights were owned by the Warriors or the Spurs, what I'm saying is I think he would have made the jump a lot sooner. I remember reading stuff on this board wondering if he was ever going to be brought in.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#59 » by 80sballboy » Tue Jul 2, 2019 1:09 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#60 » by JWizmentality » Tue Jul 2, 2019 1:18 pm

80sballboy wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

...and if he plays anything like he did in 4th quarters, he could put a few holes in our tank. :lol:

Return to Washington Wizards