ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards trade for Davis Bertans "the Latvian Laser"

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 13,722
And1: 4,251
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: Wizards trade for Davis Bertans "the Latvian Laser" 

Post#381 » by payitforward » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:34 am

WallStar wrote:...if I'm a player and I want to be a part of this team's future, I'd never sit out given that there is a chance to compete for the trophy. It's a brotherhood and he just detached himself from the team.

Oh balls...

There is no chance to compete for a trophy. There are just a handful of essentially meaningless games -- which doesn't mean that as a fan I'm not looking forward to them!

It's also not "a brotherhood." It's a business. These guys -- every one of them -- are professionals; their biggest job is to manage their careers.
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 13,722
And1: 4,251
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: Wizards trade for Davis Bertans "the Latvian Laser" 

Post#382 » by payitforward » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:36 am

DCZards wrote:This is from a Clutchpoints article. Link to full story is below

“When the NBA announced that players who sit out wouldn’t face consequences and would just lose 1 percent of their salary for each game missed, we sat down to discuss this,” Kalnitis told HoopsHype. “Davis is about to sign the biggest deal of his life, so he would be taking a big risk by playing. It wasn’t a tough decision..If the Wizards were in the fifth or sixth seed (or maybe even the eighth seed), it would be completely different.”

“The Wizards have known about Davis’ decision for a few days, and Davis told his teammates before it was reported too. They have been so supportive. [GM] Tommy [Sheppard] is the best..and he and Davis have a special connection…Davis told me that they had a pleasant conversation and they were very supportive,” Bertans’ agent furthered.


https://clutchpoints.com/wizards-news-davis-bertans-real-reason-for-sitting-out-nba-restart-revealed/

No surprise at all....
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
WallStar
Freshman
Posts: 98
And1: 47
Joined: Feb 03, 2017

Re: Wizards trade for Davis Bertans "the Latvian Laser" 

Post#383 » by WallStar » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:08 am

payitforward wrote:
WallStar wrote:...if I'm a player and I want to be a part of this team's future, I'd never sit out given that there is a chance to compete for the trophy. It's a brotherhood and he just detached himself from the team.

Oh balls...

There is no chance to compete for a trophy. There are just a handful of essentially meaningless games -- which doesn't mean that as a fan I'm not looking forward to them!

It's also not "a brotherhood." It's a business. These guys -- every one of them -- are professionals; their biggest job is to manage their careers.


LOL just because they're professionals and it's a business does not mean the locker room is not a brotherhood. With your logic, every player on a one year deal should sit out until they get an extension.
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 13,722
And1: 4,251
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: Wizards trade for Davis Bertans "the Latvian Laser" 

Post#384 » by payitforward » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:50 am

Uh huh, for sure. If you want to justify BS, all you have to do is add some more BS on top of the first load.

The NBA is an entertainment business. Every decision, whether by a player or a franchise or the league itself, is a business decision. Every single person in the locker room understands that it's a business. It's only fans like you who think they're watching Game of Thrones. Or even think that Game of Thrones is some kind of "reality" rather than... a business!

Finally -- & then I'm done with this nonsense -- if you don't understand why a marginal player with a 1-year contract has less leverage than Bertans in deciding whether to play the few remaining games of this aborted season, then you don't understand... business.

As you can see from what Zards wrote, Bertans's teammates "have been supportive." Of course they have! They may be in a parallel situation some day!

This is no different from John Wall deciding not to come back for the end of this season -- also a business decision.
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
WallStar
Freshman
Posts: 98
And1: 47
Joined: Feb 03, 2017

Re: Wizards trade for Davis Bertans "the Latvian Laser" 

Post#385 » by WallStar » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:01 pm

payitforward wrote:Uh huh, for sure. If you want to justify BS, all you have to do is add some more BS on top of the first load.

The NBA is an entertainment business. Every decision, whether by a player or a franchise or the league itself, is a business decision. Every single person in the locker room understands that it's a business. It's only fans like you who think they're watching Game of Thrones. Or even think that Game of Thrones is some kind of "reality" rather than... a business!

Finally -- & then I'm done with this nonsense -- if you don't understand why a marginal player with a 1-year contract has less leverage than Bertans in deciding whether to play the few remaining games of this aborted season, then you don't understand... business.

As you can see from what Zards wrote, Bertans's teammates "have been supportive." Of course they have! They may be in a parallel situation some day!

This is no different from John Wall deciding not to come back for the end of this season -- also a business decision.


Stop drinking. I never said the NBA was not a business. The fact you're trying to make a correlation between that and lockerroom cohesiveness is perplexing.

John isn't coming back because of COVID, don't link him into not playing "meaningless" games. But he too is acting like a little bitch.

I was speaking from my personal standpoint. I'll ride and die with my teammates especially if I haven't played ball in 3 months. Every player is an injury away, whether you're on a 5 year or a 10-day contact.

If you're healthy and under contract, then you should suit up PERIOD.
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 13,722
And1: 4,251
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: Wizards trade for Davis Bertans "the Latvian Laser" 

Post#386 » by payitforward » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:15 pm

Anyone "speaking from (a) personal standpoint" has a right to his opinion. So, really, nothing here to argue about. I don't agree -- but... so what?

& for sure, "lockerroom cohesiveness" can be an issue -- we all know that.

IOW -- no problem. Peace!

(We need cohesiveness in this online "locker room" too! :))
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
WallStar
Freshman
Posts: 98
And1: 47
Joined: Feb 03, 2017

Re: Wizards trade for Davis Bertans "the Latvian Laser" 

Post#387 » by WallStar » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:25 am

payitforward wrote:Anyone "speaking from (a) personal standpoint" has a right to his opinion. So, really, nothing here to argue about. I don't agree -- but... so what?

& for sure, "lockerroom cohesiveness" can be an issue -- we all know that.

IOW -- no problem. Peace!

(We need cohesiveness in this online "locker room" too! :))


PIF is that you? :wink:
Image

:rockon:
DCZards
General Manager
Posts: 7,773
And1: 2,186
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Location: The Streets of DC

Re: Wizards trade for Davis Bertans "the Latvian Laser" 

Post#388 » by DCZards » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:59 am

WallStar wrote:
John isn't coming back because of COVID, don't link him into not playing "meaningless" games. But he too is acting like a little bitch.

I was speaking from my personal standpoint. I'll ride and die with my teammates especially if I haven't played ball in 3 months. Every player is an injury away, whether you're on a 5 year or a 10-day contact.

If you're healthy and under contract, then you should suit up PERIOD.

Wall is not playing because both he and the Zards FO know it would be stupid--and risky--for him to play. You don’t take a guy who hasn’t played in almost 2 years--and who’s coming off one of the most serious injuries an athlete can have--and put him through a sped up, truncated training camp in order to be ready for what could very well be treated as must-win NBA games.

That’s not "acting like a little bitch.” It’s being smart.
WallStar
Freshman
Posts: 98
And1: 47
Joined: Feb 03, 2017

Re: Wizards trade for Davis Bertans "the Latvian Laser" 

Post#389 » by WallStar » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:40 am

DCZards wrote:
WallStar wrote:
John isn't coming back because of COVID, don't link him into not playing "meaningless" games. But he too is acting like a little bitch.

I was speaking from my personal standpoint. I'll ride and die with my teammates especially if I haven't played ball in 3 months. Every player is an injury away, whether you're on a 5 year or a 10-day contact.

If you're healthy and under contract, then you should suit up PERIOD.

Wall is not playing because both he and the Zards FO know it would be stupid--and risky--for him to play. You don’t take a guy who hasn’t played in almost 2 years--and who’s coming off one of the most serious injuries an athlete can have--and put him through a sped up, truncated training camp in order to be ready for what could very well be treated as must-win NBA games.

That’s not "acting like a little bitch.” It’s being smart.


It's time to test him out. He's been out for 2 YEARS! As far as I know, he's been working out and shooting for quite some time. They can play him sparingly. Injuries are a part of the game, there's no reason to treat him like glass. If he misses any more time we may as well mummify him.
User avatar
gambitx777
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,163
And1: 569
Joined: Dec 18, 2012

Re: Wizards trade for Davis Bertans "the Latvian Laser" 

Post#390 » by gambitx777 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:00 am

We also don't know if the man is mine compromised it if his wife has immune or repertory issues . Or his kid or family that lives with them. It's also possible he's not in h country and they just haven't stated that as such. Ease up on the man!sure we would have a chance if we came in at full power and other teams didn't. But I feel like every teams gonna have one or two dudes not show up.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 13,722
And1: 4,251
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: Wizards trade for Davis Bertans "the Latvian Laser" 

Post#391 » by payitforward » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:53 am

WallStar wrote:
payitforward wrote:Anyone "speaking from (a) personal standpoint" has a right to his opinion. So, really, nothing here to argue about. I don't agree -- but... so what?

& for sure, "lockerroom cohesiveness" can be an issue -- we all know that.

IOW -- no problem. Peace!

(We need cohesiveness in this online "locker room" too! :))


PIF is that you? :wink:
Image

:rockon:

What? Now you want to argue about grammar? :)
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
WallStar
Freshman
Posts: 98
And1: 47
Joined: Feb 03, 2017

Re: Wizards trade for Davis Bertans "the Latvian Laser" 

Post#392 » by WallStar » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:41 pm

payitforward wrote:
WallStar wrote:
payitforward wrote:Anyone "speaking from (a) personal standpoint" has a right to his opinion. So, really, nothing here to argue about. I don't agree -- but... so what?

& for sure, "lockerroom cohesiveness" can be an issue -- we all know that.

IOW -- no problem. Peace!

(We need cohesiveness in this online "locker room" too! :))


PIF is that you? :wink:
Image

:rockon:

What? Now you want to argue about grammar? :)


haha nah just jabbin' for correcting me :)
80sballboy
RealGM
Posts: 17,211
And1: 2,941
Joined: Jul 15, 2006
       

Re: Wizards trade for Davis Bertans "the Latvian Laser" 

Post#393 » by 80sballboy » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:48 pm

WallStar wrote:
payitforward wrote:Uh huh, for sure. If you want to justify BS, all you have to do is add some more BS on top of the first load.

The NBA is an entertainment business. Every decision, whether by a player or a franchise or the league itself, is a business decision. Every single person in the locker room understands that it's a business. It's only fans like you who think they're watching Game of Thrones. Or even think that Game of Thrones is some kind of "reality" rather than... a business!

Finally -- & then I'm done with this nonsense -- if you don't understand why a marginal player with a 1-year contract has less leverage than Bertans in deciding whether to play the few remaining games of this aborted season, then you don't understand... business.

As you can see from what Zards wrote, Bertans's teammates "have been supportive." Of course they have! They may be in a parallel situation some day!

This is no different from John Wall deciding not to come back for the end of this season -- also a business decision.


Stop drinking. I never said the NBA was not a business. The fact you're trying to make a correlation between that and lockerroom cohesiveness is perplexing.

John isn't coming back because of COVID, don't link him into not playing "meaningless" games. But he too is acting like a little bitch.

I was speaking from my personal standpoint. I'll ride and die with my teammates especially if I haven't played ball in 3 months. Every player is an injury away, whether you're on a 5 year or a 10-day contact.

If you're healthy and under contract, then you should suit up PERIOD.


There is zero reason for John Wall to risk playing in Orlando coming off a serious injury in a format that gives you no chance of advancing in the first round, if you miraculously beat Orlando in two straight games after going something like 6-2 in the last 8 games. But f-ck that, let's just test him out. Oh right, none of that matters. Ted is trying to collect about 80% of his salary if he doesn't play at all this year from his insurance company.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/wizards-are-saving-good-deal-money-thanks-john-wall-insurance-policy-report-says
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 13,722
And1: 4,251
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: Wizards trade for Davis Bertans "the Latvian Laser" 

Post#394 » by payitforward » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:04 pm

WallStar wrote:
payitforward wrote:
WallStar wrote:
PIF is that you? :wink:
Image

:rockon:

What? Now you want to argue about grammar? :)


haha nah just jabbin' for correcting me :)

I wasn't correcting you! Just making it so it didn't read "anyone speaking from your point of view," which made no sense as I re-read it.

The way you wrote it made perfect sense -- grammatically, I mean.
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
bsilver
Senior
Posts: 597
And1: 258
Joined: Aug 09, 2005
Location: New Haven, CT

Re: Wizards trade for Davis Bertans "the Latvian Laser" 

Post#395 » by bsilver » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:34 pm

80sballboy wrote:
WallStar wrote:
payitforward wrote:Uh huh, for sure. If you want to justify BS, all you have to do is add some more BS on top of the first load.

The NBA is an entertainment business. Every decision, whether by a player or a franchise or the league itself, is a business decision. Every single person in the locker room understands that it's a business. It's only fans like you who think they're watching Game of Thrones. Or even think that Game of Thrones is some kind of "reality" rather than... a business!

Finally -- & then I'm done with this nonsense -- if you don't understand why a marginal player with a 1-year contract has less leverage than Bertans in deciding whether to play the few remaining games of this aborted season, then you don't understand... business.

As you can see from what Zards wrote, Bertans's teammates "have been supportive." Of course they have! They may be in a parallel situation some day!

This is no different from John Wall deciding not to come back for the end of this season -- also a business decision.


Stop drinking. I never said the NBA was not a business. The fact you're trying to make a correlation between that and lockerroom cohesiveness is perplexing.

John isn't coming back because of COVID, don't link him into not playing "meaningless" games. But he too is acting like a little bitch.

I was speaking from my personal standpoint. I'll ride and die with my teammates especially if I haven't played ball in 3 months. Every player is an injury away, whether you're on a 5 year or a 10-day contact.

If you're healthy and under contract, then you should suit up PERIOD.


There is zero reason for John Wall to risk playing in Orlando coming off a serious injury in a format that gives you no chance of advancing in the first round, if you miraculously beat Orlando in two straight games after going something like 6-2 in the last 8 games. But f-ck that, let's just test him out. Oh right, none of that matters. Ted is trying to collect about 80% of his salary if he doesn't play at all this year from his insurance company.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/wizards-are-saving-good-deal-money-thanks-john-wall-insurance-policy-report-says

That article was written on April 1,2019, and applied to last season. Would Ted Leonsis lose any insurance money if Wall were to play in Orlando?
User avatar
doclinkin
General Manager
Posts: 9,615
And1: 1,794
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: .wizuds.

Re: Wizards trade for Davis Bertans "the Latvian Laser" 

Post#396 » by doclinkin » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:02 am

bsilver wrote:That article was written on April 1,2019, and applied to last season. Would Ted Leonsis lose any insurance money if Wall were to play in Orlando?


If I recall properly, the insurance kicks in if Wall missed more than 50% of the season. HOWEVER. There have been articles since before the year began about how good his recovery was coming, how he was ahead of schedule, etc. Video leaked. And the timeline for projected recovery, at the early end, would have put him on court right about the time that the insurance kicked in. Maybe even before.

No doubt there are riders in an insurance contract to prevent a team from doing just that: having a players salary covered while a player is milking their recovery time, but still pop on court late season to save the day. Leastways it would raise questions of whether John was fine a few months earlier, but the team was slow-playing it.

In fact they were. They have said they want to be extra careful etc and sit him out the whole year to truly give him time to etc etc. I think it quite likely that John would have come back early and played if it were still GMEG in the front office trying to do the yearly work of covering his ass and saving his job.

BUT. If the player sits out the entire year, then there is no legal challenge to the contract. The team received no benefit from his service that year. The insurance company doesn't have to argue with doctors etc. They shrug and write the check.
JWizmentality
RealGM
Posts: 13,551
And1: 4,552
Joined: Nov 21, 2004
Location: Cosmic Totality
   

Re: Wizards trade for Davis Bertans "the Latvian Laser" 

Post#397 » by JWizmentality » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:49 pm

Have to agree with PIF here....god that was hard. :-(
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 13,722
And1: 4,251
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: Wizards trade for Davis Bertans "the Latvian Laser" 

Post#398 » by payitforward » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:41 am

JWizmentality wrote:Have to agree with PIF here....god that was hard. :-(

Me too -- & no one finds it harder to agree with me than I myself! :)

(What are we in agreement about, btw? You never know -- I may have changed my mind, & you'd be off the hook!
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.

Return to Washington Wizards