ImageImageImageImageImage

Mo Swag

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 46,826
And1: 5,832
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: Mo Wagner 

Post#141 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:54 pm

payitforward wrote:
nate33 wrote:
payitforward wrote:If he jumps from year 2 to 3 at the same rate of his jump from year 1 to 2... he'll be knocking on the door of Giannis territory! :) So... I guess that's not happening!

As to "budding star," I don't think there was a 3-game stretch this year where Moe produced the kind of per-40-minute numbers Thomas Bryant produced in 2018-19. I haven't checked, but even without taking a look I'd put $$ on it.

Still, the best predictor of improvement tomorrow is improvement today, so for sure there's reason to hope he'll become a pretty good player.

Wagner's early season defensive metrics were way better than anything Bryant has ever posted.

Oh, and Wagner had a 3-game stretch from 11/15 to 11/20 when he averaged 30 points, 13.4 rebounds, 4.3 assists, 0.5 steals, 0.5 blocks, 3.3 turnovers per 40 minutes on a TS% of .863, with a 3P% of .750. Let's see Bryant beat that! :D

Most important -- I just wrote an extremely positive post about Moe Wagner. I'd rather it not be turned into a criticism of him, which it was not.

As to the 3 game stretch, Moe had an unbelievable game on 11/15, grabbing 15 boards & scoring 30 points on 13 of 15 shooting. On top of which, he did all that damage in just over 25 minutes. Wow!

In our next 2 games, on 11/17 & 11/20, he scored 26 points in 45 minutes -- @3 more points per 40 minutes than his season average. He grabbed 9 boards (in this case a lot fewer than his season average).

Still, in the 2d & 3d of the stretch he shot the ball great! He got the combined 26 points on only 16 shots & 1 FTA.

In fact, it didn't stop there! in the next game -- the 4th of this run -- though he only scored 7 points, he did it on just 5 shots.

That's some amazing shooting over those 4 games! 26-38 -- & 10 of them were 3-point makes, so it was 62 points on 38 shots.

On top of which he proceeded to go 17-24 in the next 3 games for a total of 36 points (.750 TS% for those 3 games) before finally cooling off vs. the Lakers.

In all, that was an incredible run of shooting -- 98 points on 62 shots & 3 FTAs over 7 games for an astronomical .774 TS%. It does seem unlikely that Thomas Bryant ever did that (he did go 14-14 in one game last season, if I remember right). Bryant, otoh, did post a .674 TS% on that entire season -- over 1500 minutes.

The comparison is pointless of course. If I initiated it, then it's my fault. These guys are both Washington Wizards -- the better either of them plays the happier everyone is. The main story on Moritz Wagner is that he got a lot better this year! May it continue.


Mo Wagner will have a long, productive NBA career.

I think the Wizards are mathematically challenged and they don’t appreciate numerical improvements in a player’s growth. They’re idiots.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/wagnemo01.html

Aside from prodigious fouling Mo’s a damn good young player. He made strides last season. He’s been as good in short minutes as Robinson has been bad but last year’s data and 15 PER means NOTHING to doofuses who want veteran names.
Eli Babak
Senior
Posts: 563
And1: 374
Joined: Jun 21, 2018
 

Re: Mo Wagner 

Post#142 » by Eli Babak » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:06 pm

I'm not a fan of Wagner but they should give him Lopez's minutes for a 5-10 game run and see if he can contribute in a positive way. Robinson is a lost cause.

Off-topic, but why on earth Pasecnicks is on the roster? No need for 4 centers.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 30,363
And1: 714
Joined: May 23, 2002
Location: Back into the fray!
Contact:
       

Re: Mo Wagner 

Post#143 » by LyricalRico » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:47 pm

Eli Babak wrote:I'm not a fan of Wagner but they should give him Lopez's minutes for a 5-10 game run and see if he can contribute in a positive way. Robinson is a lost cause.

Off-topic, but why on earth Pasecnicks is on the roster? No need for 4 centers.


I actually thought Wagner was effective in the first game, and was surprised he hasn't gotten more run since. I guess I shouldn't be because...well...Scott Brooks. :nonono:
User avatar
Dat2U
RealGM
Posts: 21,694
And1: 5,021
Joined: Jun 23, 2001
Location: Columbus, OH
       

Re: Mo Wagner 

Post#144 » by Dat2U » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:03 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
payitforward wrote:
nate33 wrote:Wagner's early season defensive metrics were way better than anything Bryant has ever posted.

Oh, and Wagner had a 3-game stretch from 11/15 to 11/20 when he averaged 30 points, 13.4 rebounds, 4.3 assists, 0.5 steals, 0.5 blocks, 3.3 turnovers per 40 minutes on a TS% of .863, with a 3P% of .750. Let's see Bryant beat that! :D

Most important -- I just wrote an extremely positive post about Moe Wagner. I'd rather it not be turned into a criticism of him, which it was not.

As to the 3 game stretch, Moe had an unbelievable game on 11/15, grabbing 15 boards & scoring 30 points on 13 of 15 shooting. On top of which, he did all that damage in just over 25 minutes. Wow!

In our next 2 games, on 11/17 & 11/20, he scored 26 points in 45 minutes -- @3 more points per 40 minutes than his season average. He grabbed 9 boards (in this case a lot fewer than his season average).

Still, in the 2d & 3d of the stretch he shot the ball great! He got the combined 26 points on only 16 shots & 1 FTA.

In fact, it didn't stop there! in the next game -- the 4th of this run -- though he only scored 7 points, he did it on just 5 shots.

That's some amazing shooting over those 4 games! 26-38 -- & 10 of them were 3-point makes, so it was 62 points on 38 shots.

On top of which he proceeded to go 17-24 in the next 3 games for a total of 36 points (.750 TS% for those 3 games) before finally cooling off vs. the Lakers.

In all, that was an incredible run of shooting -- 98 points on 62 shots & 3 FTAs over 7 games for an astronomical .774 TS%. It does seem unlikely that Thomas Bryant ever did that (he did go 14-14 in one game last season, if I remember right). Bryant, otoh, did post a .674 TS% on that entire season -- over 1500 minutes.

The comparison is pointless of course. If I initiated it, then it's my fault. These guys are both Washington Wizards -- the better either of them plays the happier everyone is. The main story on Moritz Wagner is that he got a lot better this year! May it continue.


Mo Wagner will have a long, productive NBA career.

I think the Wizards are mathematically challenged and they don’t appreciate numerical improvements in a player’s growth. They’re idiots.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/wagnemo01.html

Aside from prodigious fouling Mo’s a damn good young player. He made strides last season. He’s been as good in short minutes as Robinson has been bad but last year’s data and 15 PER means NOTHING to doofuses who want veteran names.


Sorry CCJ. If a C can't defend, he ain't worth a damn b/c of the production he's giving up on the other end as the last line of defense. Most wouldn't dispute Wagner has some offensive utility but it doesn't matter because he's a hack box that can't move laterally.
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 46,826
And1: 5,832
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: Mo Wagner 

Post#145 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:14 pm

I never said he wasn’t a hack box. He’s a Vlade Divac at best on defense. Mo flops or tries to draw charges. He’s physically overwhelmed on defense but dude was a Laker selection for a reason. I’m not championing Wagner as a great prospect.

I am saying Lopez is not a better option on this roster at this time. Wagner not getting renewed makes me think since Brooks won’t play him at all the Wizards might as well release him. Just like Jason Smith has a long career I foresee Moritz Wagner finding minutes and being utilized on another few teams in the future, Dat for the skills we agree on.

Luka Garza....him and Mo Wagner? Musing over your defense assertion.
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 57,369
And1: 10,650
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: Mo Wagner 

Post#146 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:08 pm

Through 68 total minutes played so far this season, Mo Wagner is currently averaging on a per 36 basis:

16.9 points
10.6 rebounds
2.1 assists
0.0 blocks
0.5 steals
0.5 turnover
9.5 fouls :lol:
.700 2P%
.571 3P%
.780 TS% :o

The team is +17.1 when he is on the court, though in a meaningless sample size.
User avatar
tontoz
RealGM
Posts: 17,101
And1: 2,638
Joined: Apr 11, 2005

Re: Mo Wagner 

Post#147 » by tontoz » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:31 pm

He really need to stop trying to draw charges all the time. He should take a page from Deni, just jump straight up with hands up. Sure he won't actually block the shot but at least he will contest it and be less likely to be called for a foul.

Refs are so used to him trying to draw charges that the refs seem to give the benefit of the doubt to the offense.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
User avatar
FAH1223
RealGM
Posts: 11,319
And1: 4,119
Joined: Nov 01, 2005
Location: Laurel, MD
       

Re: Mo Wagner 

Post#148 » by FAH1223 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:39 pm

nate33 wrote:Through 68 total minutes played so far this season, Mo Wagner is currently averaging on a per 36 basis:

16.9 points
10.6 rebounds
2.1 assists
0.0 blocks
0.5 steals
0.5 turnover
9.5 fouls :lol:
.700 2P%
.571 3P%
.780 TS% :o

The team is +17.1 when he is on the court, though in a meaningless sample size.


Threat title should add 'Mo Swag'

Gooden's nick name for him is good
Image
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 42,507
And1: 7,838
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Mo Wagner 

Post#149 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:42 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
nate33 wrote:Through 68 total minutes played so far this season, Mo Wagner is currently averaging on a per 36 basis:

16.9 points
10.6 rebounds
2.1 assists
0.0 blocks
0.5 steals
0.5 turnover
9.5 fouls :lol:
.700 2P%
.571 3P%
.780 TS% :o

The team is +17.1 when he is on the court, though in a meaningless sample size.


Threat title should add 'Mo Swag'

Gooden's nick name for him is good

Better than Mo Flop, for sure.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas

Return to Washington Wizards