Mo Swag

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Mo Swag 

Post#161 » by Ruzious » Fri Mar 5, 2021 4:31 pm

NatP4 wrote:Bryant is so much better than Mo Bamba.

They have very different sets of skills. Wiz are last in the NBA in blocks and not a good rebounding team - other than Westbrook. Per 36 minutes, Bamba gets 3 blocks and 14.5 rebounds. Uses his absurd length for good instead of evil.

We could corner the market in centers named Mo.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#162 » by closg00 » Fri Mar 5, 2021 9:41 pm

I like the way Mo is progressing each year, good energy player to keep around
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#163 » by gambitx777 » Sat Mar 6, 2021 5:42 am

We might loose him cuz he's playing so we'll. Might wanna consider trading him at the deadline.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#164 » by payitforward » Sat Mar 6, 2021 2:50 pm

Mo is playing better this year than last, that's for sure. But, let's not exaggerate. His upside is a journeyman.

At the same time, gamby make a good point -- even if we want to keep him, it wouldn't take much of an offer from another team to make it impossible b/c of our tight salary constraints. I'd take a R2 pick for him that's for sure -- & we might get that.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#165 » by payitforward » Sat Mar 6, 2021 2:55 pm

Might be interesting to compare Wagner with Hachimura -- who is playing better?

Any thoughts...?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#166 » by Frichuela » Sat Mar 6, 2021 3:05 pm

gambitx777 wrote:We might loose him cuz he's playing so we'll. Might wanna consider trading him at the deadline.

A possible trade is Mo + incentive (Troy Brown or Bonga) for Mo Bamba...that is if you believe Bamba’s upside is greater than the other two. He is playing a bit more now due to Birch’s injury and his stats are ok over the past 10 games.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,354

Post#167 » by nate33 » Sat Mar 6, 2021 3:17 pm

payitforward wrote:Might be interesting to compare Wagner with Hachimura -- who is playing better?

Any thoughts...?

Mo is playing better. No question.

The thing about Rui is that he has the body type and athleticism to never be at a physical disadvantage, even against the very best guys in the league. You can't teach that and it's worth the time to see what he can develop into (especially when considering that his limited basketball background theoretically gives him more room to improve).

Mo is unquestionably a more skilled player at the moment with much better basketball instincts. But he will always be at a physical disadvantage, particularly against the top tier centers who we will have to face in playoff matchups. Guys like Mo who outwork and out-think physically superior opponents in regular season matchups don't have an "extra gear" for the playoffs.

So, for those reasons, I still value Rui more.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#168 » by pcbothwel » Sat Mar 6, 2021 3:30 pm

nate33 wrote:
payitforward wrote:Might be interesting to compare Wagner with Hachimura -- who is playing better?

Any thoughts...?

Mo is playing better. No question.

The thing about Rui is that he has the body type and athleticism to never be at a physical disadvantage, even against the very best guys in the league. You can't teach that and it's worth the time to see what he can develop into (especially when considering that his limited basketball background theoretically gives him more room to improve).

Mo is unquestionably a more skilled player at the moment with much better basketball instincts. But he will always be at a physical disadvantage, particularly against the top tier centers who we will have to face in playoff matchups. Guys like Mo who outwork and out-think physically superior opponents in regular season matchups don't have an "extra gear" for the playoffs.

So, for those reasons, I still value Rui more.

Agreed with Nate. 2nd aspect is positional versatility.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#169 » by DCZards » Sat Mar 6, 2021 3:36 pm

Any thoughts...?

Here we go again. Poor Rui. Why can’t you just leave the kid alone?

What is it with you and Hachimura,PIF? You’ve been on his case since the day the Zards drafted him.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,318

Post#170 » by NatP4 » Sat Mar 6, 2021 6:10 pm

DCZards wrote:

Any thoughts...?

What is it with you and Hachimura,PIF? You’ve been on his case since the day the Zards drafted him.

We used a top 10 pick on him and he’s not good.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#171 » by pcbothwel » Sat Mar 6, 2021 7:12 pm

NatP4 wrote:
DCZards wrote:

Any thoughts...?

Who would meet this threshold of "Good" in their 2nd year? Outside of generational talents like Zion & Ja, nobody in the ENTIRE 2019 draft has done anything of note. Now, could it be that a COVID hit and ruined the last quarter of the season along with entire 1st offseason as a pro? Probably.
Did Rui get hit even harder as he missed the middle 3rd of his rookie year with a freak injury? Also probably.

Again, look at that draft and tell me who is better than Rui? Zion and Ja... Ughhh Duh, ok. Next
Top 10? Nobody but Hunter has an argument, and he was TERRIBLE his rookie year and appears to have made a huge jump into his 2nd year.
11-30? Sure, you could point to a couple 24/25 y/o low ceiling players like Cam Johnson or Brandon Clarke, but neither project as an actual starter in the league. Its really Keldon Johnson, maybe PJ washington... But not by much. And thats it.

Some names I hear praised on this forum like Coby White, Herro, Thybulle, Bazley, Paschall, Bol, THT, etc...
Has anyone actually looked at their stats? I wouldn't take any of those guys over Rui... except MAYBE Herro.
Right now, the 2019 draft looks really bad. Or maybe their a bunch of 22 y/o players who have had a chaotic 12 months.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#172 » by payitforward » Sat Mar 6, 2021 7:49 pm

DCZards wrote:

Any thoughts...?

Wow... I barely know what to say, Zards. I was curious about the comparison. There was no negative mind-set about Rui involved. I don't have it in for him. He's a great kid. Has he been a good player yet (overall I mean)? No.

What's the difference between the following two statements, Zards?

1. In his last 4 games, Rui Hachimura has played 108 minutes & been bad: he's gone 9-27, including 2-9 on 3-pt attempts, & he's gone 4-8 from the line. He's gotten 17 rebounds (6.3 rebounds per 40 minutes).

2. In the 3 games preceding the 4 covered above, Rui played 111 minutes & was good: he went 19-32, including 4-10 on 3-pt attempts, & he went 3-5 from the line. He got 20 rebounds (7.2 rebounds per 40 minutes).

Was #1 written by a "Rui-hater?" Someone who is "on his case?" Is it subjective & excessively critical in tone, which makes Rui sound like a bad player?

How about #2? Was that written by a Rui-fan? Someone who is objective & tells it like it is, which makes Rui sound like a good player?

Rui Hachimura is a great kid -- that's obvious! & he has really good size & athleticism -- that too is obvious!

The third thing that's obvious -- equally obvious -- is that up to now, overall, Rui has not been a good player.

Does that mean he'll never be a good player? Obviously, it does not mean that.

Is it a sure thing that Rui will turn out to be a good player (a starter or at least a guy who gets heavy minutes off the bench)? Obviously, it is not a sure thing.

In short, I don't have it in for Rui or anybody -- the opposite, in fact: I'd like Rui to become an outstanding NBA player. I want all these kids to succeed; you must know that by now.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#173 » by payitforward » Sat Mar 6, 2021 7:57 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
DCZards wrote:Here we go again. Poor Rui. Why can’t you just leave the kid alone?

Who would meet this threshold of "Good" in their 2nd year? Outside of generational talents like Zion & Ja, nobody in the ENTIRE 2019 draft has done anything of note. Now, could it be that a COVID hit and ruined the last quarter of the season along with entire 1st offseason as a pro? Probably.
Did Rui get hit even harder as he missed the middle 3rd of his rookie year with a freak injury? Also probably.

Again, look at that draft and tell me who is better than Rui? Zion and Ja... Ughhh Duh, ok. Next
Top 10? Nobody but Hunter has an argument, and he was TERRIBLE his rookie year and appears to have made a huge jump into his 2nd year.
11-30? Sure, you could point to a couple 24/25 y/o low ceiling players like Cam Johnson or Brandon Clarke, but neither project as an actual starter in the league. Its really Keldon Johnson, maybe PJ washington... But not by much. And thats it.

Some names I hear praised on this forum like Coby White, Herro, Thybulle, Bazley, Paschall, Bol, THT, etc...
Has anyone actually looked at their stats? I wouldn't take any of those guys over Rui... except MAYBE Herro.
Right now, the 2019 draft looks really bad. Or maybe their a bunch of 22 y/o players who have had a chaotic 12 months.

This is outside the bounds of this thread -- there's plenty to say about Wagner, & it's interesting. Plus it poses an interesting dilemma, since the question "should we keep him?" is complicated by the question "can we keep him?"

How good the 2019 draft was, how good Rui is, these questions are irrelevant to this thread. If my question about Mo/Rui led to the discussion, then I must apologize for having raised it in the wrong context.

My bad, so I need to fix it. How good that draft was/wasn't is an interesting question on its own, so I'm going to copy pcbothwei's statements & create a thread to discuss the subject. Just to get it out of here.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#174 » by gambitx777 » Sun Mar 7, 2021 2:10 am

I would consider calling atlanta? Maybe get a second and bruno fernando? Or like mentioned him and brown her for mo bamba ?
payitforward wrote:Mo is playing better this year than last, that's for sure. But, let's not exaggerate. His upside is a journeyman.

At the same time, gamby make a good point -- even if we want to keep him, it wouldn't take much of an offer from another team to make it impossible b/c of our tight salary constraints. I'd take a R2 pick for him that's for sure -- & we might get that.

Return to Washington Wizards