ImageImageImageImageImage

Mo Swag

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Re: Mo Wagner 

Post#21 » by doclinkin » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:53 pm

trast66 wrote:Cut by German national team.

But Bonga is still on the roster. I like this kid.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#22 » by gambitx777 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:13 pm

Damn poor kid couldn't even make the national team.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Post#23 » by closg00 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:33 pm

trast66 wrote:Cut by German national team.

Oof, lots of work to put-in.

After the win over Poland, German national team coach Henrik Rodl announced that Moritz Wagner of the Washington Wizards was cut from the FIBA World Cup roster.

“We have decided that we will travel without Moritz Wagner. It was a very difficult decision, but that’s part of my job. Moritz still has so much to do, he owns the future and I wish him every success in Washington. “said Rodl.

Germany will travel to China with 13 players and one more cut must be made before the start of the tournament.

Wagner is the third cut made after Karim Jallow and Joshiko Saibou.

The 13 players left in the roster are the following: Ismet Akpinar, Danilo Barthel, Robin Benzing, Isaac Bonga, Niels Giffey, Maxi Kleber, Maodo Lo, Andreas Obst, Dennis Schroder, Daniel Theis, Johannes Thiemann, Johannes Voigtmann and Paul Zipser

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/fibawc/920679/moritz-wagner-cut-from-the-german-national-team/
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#24 » by Illmatic12 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:10 pm

Mo Wagner is buttcheeks . In SL he looked like someone who hadn’t touched a basketball in a year

I still say that Bonga is the most interesting of all the prospects in the LA trade , followed by Jemerrio Jones. If either of them can at least be average 3pt shooters they’ll carve out a long career in the league.

Lakers didn’t even have a shooting coach, so I’m hopeful that David Adkins and our staff can help these guys improve their shooting.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#25 » by I_Like_Dirt » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:06 pm

doclinkin wrote:But Bonga is still on the roster. I like this kid.

Bonga was always the player to get excited about in the trade. He's going to take patience but could be really good in the long run.
Bucket! Bucket!
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#26 » by prime1time » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:44 am

I don't see Wagner being an NBA player. His 3-point shot isn't good and he has so many holes in other parts of his game.
closg00
RealGM

Post#27 » by closg00 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:37 pm

prime1time wrote:I don't see Wagner being an NBA player. His 3-point shot isn't good and he has so many holes in other parts of his game.

It's not a good sign that he didn't make the German National team, Germany is ranked 11th in FIBA. If his 3-pointer is not money this year, he's done.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,302

Post#28 » by nate33 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:46 pm

closg00 wrote:
prime1time wrote:I don't see Wagner being an NBA player. His 3-point shot isn't good and he has so many holes in other parts of his game.

It's not a good sign that he didn't make the German National team, Germany is ranked 11th in FIBA. If his 3-pointer is not money this year, he's done.

We've been talking about the need to cut either Jemerreo Jones, Jordan McRae or Justin Robinson to get our roster down to 15. Frankly, I'd prefer to cut Wagner before any of those guys. Unfortunately, his contract is guaranteed.
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#29 » by prime1time » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:04 pm

nate33 wrote:
closg00 wrote:

We've been talking about the need to cut either Jemerreo Jones, Jordan McRae or Justin Robinson to get our roster down to 15. Frankly, I'd prefer to cut Wagner before any of those guys. Unfortunately, his contract is guaranteed.

I agree, no point keeping him around. Would love another deft move by Sheppard to replace him. We have a lack of bigmen.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#30 » by nate33 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:14 pm

prime1time wrote:
nate33 wrote:
closg00 wrote:

I agree, no point keeping him around. Would love another deft move by Sheppard to replace him. We have a lack of bigmen.

My dream scenario would be to trade him straight up for Noah Vonleh. They have almost identical contracts except Wagner has team options on each of the next two seasons whereas Vonleh is an UFA next year.

It couldn't happen before December 15th, though. And by then, it might be too obvious that Wagner can't play.

Another idea would be to trade Mahinmi plus Wagner for either Tristan Thompon or Bismack Biyombo. (Both guys are on expiring contracts with matching salaries.) The trade for Thompson could happen right now because Wagner could be sent in a separate deal for one of their TPE's. The trade for Biyombo would have to wait until December 15th.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#31 » by payitforward » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:15 pm

I_Like_Dirt wrote:

Bonga was always the player to get excited about in the trade. He's going to take patience but could be really good in the long run.

Agree -- he seems like a real talent.

(At the same time, Jones is such an oddball player... I'd really like to see what he could do with some minutes this year).
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#32 » by Ruzious » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:29 pm

payitforward wrote:
I_Like_Dirt wrote:

Agree -- he seems like a real talent.

(At the same time, Jones is such an oddball player... I'd really like to see what he could do with some minutes this year).

If one of Bonga or Jones hits, then we win. To me, Jones is the more interesting of the 2, but it'll be cool to hopefully watch Bonga play for Germany and see how he plays in that environment - and see if he's added strength.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#33 » by payitforward » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:12 pm

...not to mention that we also got a R2 pick in a transaction that cost us nothing.

If we were able to trade Wagner for another one of those, the deal would be a triumph.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
closg00
RealGM

Post#34 » by closg00 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:41 pm

Apologies for trashing you Mo, even though you were horrific in SL, should have known that you would fare better in NBA offensive sets.
Hopefully you'll pick-up some rebounding skills and post moves
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#35 » by nate33 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:33 pm

closg00 wrote:Apologies for trashing you Mo, even though you were horrific in SL, should have known that you would fare better in NBA offensive sets.

I'm not quite ready to start eating crow just yet.

He is much better offensively than I thought he would be, but his rebounding and defense are still terrible. It remains to be seen whether he can stay on the court without absolutely killing our defense.
closg00
RealGM

Post#36 » by closg00 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:48 pm

nate33 wrote:
closg00 wrote:Apologies for trashing you Mo, even though you were horrific in SL, should have known that you would fare better in NBA offensive sets.

He is much better offensively than I thought he would be, but his rebounding and defense are still terrible. It remains to be seen whether he can stay on the court without absolutely killing our defense.

Agree
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#37 » by Shoe » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:53 pm

nate33 wrote:

I've been thinking about what can make or break a PnR drop defender and communication is really half the battle. Some of the best are loud and brash like Noah, Sheed, Garnett, Draymond. Obviously Mo doesn't have the athletic talent those guys did but I think he and TB being talkative is a great sign for potential defensive development. I'm just thinking he does have the chance to be serviceable by timing his screen calls correctly and having the feel when to call out Ice. It seems ridiculous that millionaire basketball players would struggle with that but its an issue that keeps popping up even in the pros.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#38 » by I_Like_Dirt » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:05 pm

nate33 wrote:I'm not quite ready to start eating crow just yet.

I also want to see him do this in the regular season. In a limited sample size last season he wasn't particularly efficient. He was more efficient in college, so the real test will be if college and preseason is more indicative of his level of play and he just needs to figure things out a bit or if he's simply better suited to playing against a lower talent level. His getting twice as many TOs as assists is something that's held true to form across both levels, though. I'd happily eat crow but I doubt it. He might become an NBA player yet but his upside strikes me as utility backup C and he's got a ways to go to get there yet.
Bucket! Bucket!
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#39 » by JWizmentality » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:42 am

payitforward wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:Hot take. Mo Vagner will be the best prospect we got from the Lakers. Excluding Bryant of course.

Uuuunnnh, no.... Or at least I sure hope not, b/c if so then none of them will be any good.

Explain why Jemerrio Jones playing extremely well in 143 minutes would make you say that, btw, especially given that Mo Wagner was pretty much awful for the Lakers -- & then awful for us in SL once again.

I stay spanking dat a$$. 8-)
payitforward
RealGM

Post#40 » by payitforward » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:57 am

Always happy to see a guy play better, which Mo has done. Somewhat. A little.

How about we leave out the Long Lions game, ok? How well did he do in 72 minutes vs. the Knicks twice & the Bucks once?

In short, not all that well. But, still, a little better than he was in SL. Overall, in his 72 minutes of play in those 3 games...

Mo produced 28 points on 29 shots. That's an eFG% of .483 -- not good. But, he got to the line 18 times (that's like getting to the line 10 times per 40 minutes -- !!) & he made 16 of those 18 FTAs -- .889 -- great!

So overall, that's 44 points at a TS% of .596. on 24.4 points per 40 minutes. Which is really good. No question about it.

But... he only got 12 rebounds -- that equals 6.67 per 40 minutes :( Ugh. & in the rest of the stuff -- blocks, steals, TOs & fouls -- he was a negative.

Overall, therefore -- with the exception of the fact that he got himself to the line a lot & made the FTs (which, obviously, is a good sign) -- those 3 games from Mo weren't good. Nothing to change one's view of Mo Wagner.

What does make his pre-season look good overall, of course, is his killer outing vs. the Long Lions. In honesty, however, I give that game virtually no weight.

Return to Washington Wizards