ImageImageImageImageImage

Mo Wagner

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 56,036
And1: 9,566
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: GT #9: Wiz @ Celtics 7:30 PM 

Post#61 » by nate33 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:00 pm

Mojo Amok wrote:
tontoz wrote:It should be noted that drawing a charge doesn't show up in a players stats but is a very valuable play. Wagner had 2 in the first half and almost had a 3rd until they reversed it because his foot was on the line.


Yes, Wagner is an absolute savant with drawing charges. He's leading the entire NBA in total charges drawn despite his limited minutes:

https://stats.nba.com/players/hustle/?Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&sort=CHARGES_DRAWN&dir=1&PerMode=Totals

He's even drawn more charges than the rest of the team combined - he's not even far from doubling them:

https://stats.nba.com/players/hustle/?Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&sort=CHARGES_DRAWN&dir=1&PerMode=Totals&TeamID=1610612764


Great stuff, Mojo!

Here's how Wagner looks on a per-36 minute basis (100 minutes minimum)
https://stats.nba.com/players/hustle/?Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&sort=CHARGES_DRAWN&dir=1&PerMode=Per36&CF=MIN*G*100

Only Cody Martin and Ersan Ilyasova are in the same stratosphere as Wagner when it comes to drawing charges. Wagner draws them at twice the rate of everyone else in the league.
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 56,036
And1: 9,566
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: GT #9: Wiz @ Celtics 7:30 PM 

Post#62 » by nate33 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:05 pm

Mojo Amok wrote:He's even drawn more charges than the rest of the team combined - he's not even far from doubling them:

https://stats.nba.com/players/hustle/?Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&sort=CHARGES_DRAWN&dir=1&PerMode=Totals&TeamID=1610612764

Here's the same chart on a per-36 basis, with low-minute players weeded out.

https://stats.nba.com/players/hustle/?Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&sort=CONTESTED_SHOTS&dir=1&PerMode=Per36&TeamID=1610612764&CF=MIN*G*40

Wagner is at the top of the list in nearly every hustle category. He is just behind Bryant in screen assists, he's 3rd in deflections, 3rd in loose balls recovered, 1st in charges drawn, and 2nd just barely behind Bryant in contested shots.
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 56,036
And1: 9,566
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: Mo Wagner 

Post#63 » by nate33 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:54 am

Just an unbelievable night by Wagner against Minnesota:

User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 56,036
And1: 9,566
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: Mo Wagner 

Post#64 » by nate33 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:14 am

According to fivethirtyeight, Mo Wagner is the best defensive player in the league:

Image

Anthony Davis BTFO!
User avatar
Mojo Amok
Pro Prospect
Posts: 959
And1: 831
Joined: Jan 28, 2017
 

Re: Mo Wagner 

Post#65 » by Mojo Amok » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:17 am

Does the Mortician have the ability to play any power forward? Even for like, maybe 8 minutes a game? That would open a lot of things up with the playing time for both him and Bryant.
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 56,036
And1: 9,566
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: Mo Wagner 

Post#66 » by nate33 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:28 am

Mojo Amok wrote:Does the Mortician have the ability to play any power forward? Even for like, maybe 8 minutes a game? That would open a lot of things up with the playing time for both him and Bryant.

I really think he does. He's surprisingly mobile out there. And he can definitely shoot it.

The only issue is I'm not sure if it's feasible for Bryant or Mo to play all that many more minutes than they already play given their foul rate.
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 56,036
And1: 9,566
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: Mo Wagner 

Post#67 » by nate33 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:32 am

I'm looking forward to basketballreference updating their stats to incorporate tonight's games. Mo is going to have PER of about 30. LOL
User avatar
queridiculo
RealGM
Posts: 14,279
And1: 5,666
Joined: Mar 29, 2005
Location: Maximum Pain Zone
   

Re: Mo Wagner 

Post#68 » by queridiculo » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:43 am

I was pumping up Wagner before the draft last year, but I was shocked by how poorly he looked playing for this team in preseason, he didn't look like a NBA guy to me.

Just goes to show you how meaningless these games are.

Love his grit and energy out there.
Eli Babak
Junior
Posts: 468
And1: 287
Joined: Jun 21, 2018
 

Re: Mo Wagner 

Post#69 » by Eli Babak » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:32 pm

nate33 wrote:According to fivethirtyeight, Mo Wagner is the best defensive player in the league:

https://i.imgur.com/Q9mrpxA.png

Anthony Davis BTFO!


That's nuts! He was so horrible before the season! :lol: Good for him (and the Wiz)!
User avatar
BigA
Analyst
Posts: 3,041
And1: 943
Joined: Oct 05, 2005
Location: Arlington, VA
 

Re: Mo Wagner 

Post#70 » by BigA » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:50 pm

If Wagner and Beal both make All-NBA, would the Wizards have to supermax both?
"It starts at the top." -- Bradley Beal
User avatar
tontoz
RealGM
Posts: 16,928
And1: 2,446
Joined: Apr 11, 2005

Re: Mo Wagner 

Post#71 » by tontoz » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:20 pm

Per 36 his averages are 25/11.5. His TS of 73% leads the NBA. :bowdown:
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
bgroban
Junior
Posts: 334
And1: 45
Joined: Nov 07, 2004
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Mo Wagner 

Post#72 » by bgroban » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:12 pm

At what point do you consider starting Mo and bringing Thomas in as an energy guy off the bench? Or would that totally disrupt team chemistry? Offense doesn’t seem to be an issue for the Wiz right now; it is their D. Frankly, I like Mo’s D better than TB.
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 56,036
And1: 9,566
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: Mo Wagner 

Post#73 » by nate33 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:45 pm

bgroban wrote:At what point do you consider starting Mo and bringing Thomas in as an energy guy off the bench? Or would that totally disrupt team chemistry? Offense doesn’t seem to be an issue for the Wiz right now; it is their D. Frankly, I like Mo’s D better than TB.

Tough call.

First of all, it doesn't really matter all THAT much. I don't think Mo can play more than maybe 24-28 minutes a game because of his foul rate and his effort level. He can get those minutes coming off the bench just as easily as he would as a starter.

Secondly, we can't be sure how much of Mo's success has to do with him playing against second units and teams that haven't scouted him yet. His production could decline if he was named a starter

For now, I think Brooks can just play Mo a bit more by going to him a bit earlier and keeping him out a bit longer if he is playing well. But damn, if this play continues, it's going to be hard to justify bringing him off the bench.
User avatar
FAH1223
RealGM
Posts: 11,125
And1: 3,939
Joined: Nov 01, 2005
Location: Laurel, MD
       

Re: Mo Wagner 

Post#74 » by FAH1223 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:52 pm

nate33 wrote:
bgroban wrote:At what point do you consider starting Mo and bringing Thomas in as an energy guy off the bench? Or would that totally disrupt team chemistry? Offense doesn’t seem to be an issue for the Wiz right now; it is their D. Frankly, I like Mo’s D better than TB.

Tough call.

First of all, it doesn't really matter all THAT much. I don't think Mo can play more than maybe 24-28 minutes a game because of his foul rate and his effort level. He can get those minutes coming off the bench just as easily as he would as a starter.

Secondly, we can't be sure how much of Mo's success has to do with him playing against second units and teams that haven't scouted him yet. His production could decline if he was named a starter

For now, I think Brooks can just play Mo a bit more by going to him a bit earlier and keeping him out a bit longer if he is playing well. But damn, if this play continues, it's going to be hard to justify bringing him off the bench.


I’d keep Mo on the bench. TB really has to become consistent defensively. He’s been awful this past week. Of course, IT in the starting lineup doesn’t help matters.
Image
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 56,036
And1: 9,566
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: Mo Wagner 

Post#75 » by nate33 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:18 pm

When comparing Mo versus Bryant, one thing I've noticed is that Mo is much more active with his hands.

In pick-and-roll defense, both guys seem like they're in the right place for the most part, but what often happens to Bryant is that he rotates to challenge the guard's shot but then he can't get back into the play on the defensive glass. The rolling center is usually there to clean up the guard's miss with an easy putback. Mo is much better about challenging the guard and then quickly shifting over to the big to bat away the offensive rebound before he gets it, or to challenge the big on his putback. Mo is just quicker to react and is better at swatting at the loose ball before the opposing big can grab it.
Darko Miliminutes
Analyst
Posts: 3,200
And1: 399
Joined: Aug 31, 2005
Location: A2
       

Re: Mo Wagner 

Post#76 » by Darko Miliminutes » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:11 pm

No surprise here. Watched him at UofM (ticket holder) and nba stretch big was written all over him. Got crickets in here after he came to Was. saying to be patient and enjoy once he gets nba comfort. Real vocal with real leadership qualities too which should happen with a bit more seasoning. So again, enjoy.
Will you fools ever realize that when the cameras are on and the microphones are hot, they are Lying to you! Lying to prescribe a specific reaction, to easier manipulate you.

Useful idiots!
User avatar
youngWizzy
Rookie
Posts: 1,098
And1: 418
Joined: Dec 20, 2016
 

Re: Mo Wagner 

Post#77 » by youngWizzy » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:21 pm

In the entire NBA Moe Ranks:

1st in TS percentage
2nd in EFG percentage
2nd in 2-pt field goal percentage
15th in block percentage
17 in defensive rebound percentage
11th in 3 point percentage
5th in FG percentage
#1 in charges drawn

Spoiler:
He's been impressive
Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
Illmatic12
RealGM
Posts: 10,161
And1: 8,453
Joined: Dec 20, 2013
 

Re: Mo Wagner 

Post#78 » by Illmatic12 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:57 pm

nate33 wrote:When comparing Mo versus Bryant, one thing I've noticed is that Mo is much more active with his hands.

In pick-and-roll defense, both guys seem like they're in the right place for the most part, but what often happens to Bryant is that he rotates to challenge the guard's shot but then he can't get back into the play on the defensive glass. The rolling center is usually there to clean up the guard's miss with an easy putback. Mo is much better about challenging the guard and then quickly shifting over to the big to bat away the offensive rebound before he gets it, or to challenge the big on his putback. Mo is just quicker to react and is better at swatting at the loose ball before the opposing big can grab it.

Great observations.. Wagner has good mobility, hands and reflexes for a big man. This gives him an advantage particularly when the team is playing zone, because he's able to play in space as the roving 5-man and take away easy angles around the basket. When the shot goes up, he can quickly get in position for the rebound.

Thomas Bryant has been absolutely dreadful as the center in the middle of the zone, because he isn't as mobile in contesting shots and the zone D also takes him out of position on the defensive glass.

In my opinion, if we had a better defensive PG we wouldn't be forced to play zone and could utilize a scheme that puts Bryant in better position. If we had a strong point of attack defender who could fight around the screen, we could play TB in a drop scheme and all he'd have to do is backpedal and put his hands up to protect the rim. It would be much easier for him to get in position for rebounds that way as well.
Illmatic12
RealGM
Posts: 10,161
And1: 8,453
Joined: Dec 20, 2013
 

Re: Mo Wagner 

Post#79 » by Illmatic12 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:58 pm

queridiculo wrote:I was pumping up Wagner before the draft last year, but I was shocked by how poorly he looked playing for this team in preseason, he didn't look like a NBA guy to me.

Just goes to show you how meaningless these games are.

Love his grit and energy out there.

One thing I remember Wagner saying is that he was still flustered from the trade, and hadn't had time to familiarize himself with his teammates + coaches during Summer League. I think the amount of time the team spent together over the summer playing pickup and practicing (and even the off-court time hanging out) made a huge difference for Wagner and Bonga.

It's easy to forget but Wagner was a first-round grade prospect. He was considered a better NBA prospect than Bryant easily. It's very rare that a player of that caliber is just discarded for free after only 1 season.
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 56,036
And1: 9,566
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: Mo Wagner 

Post#80 » by nate33 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:43 pm

Return to Washington Wizards