ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards 2019 Offseason Thread - Part 2

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Re: Wizards 2019 Offseason Thread - Part 2 

Post#201 » by payitforward » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:39 pm

nate33 wrote:A supplemental point to doc's marvelous post above regarding John Wall playing with the spacing of Bertans and Bryant:

John Wall had terrific shot selection early last season. He seemed to thrive with more spacing from his bigs in the absence of Gortat. I posted this a few games into the season when he was healthy. He had a career low number of attempts from midrange, with almost everything coming from the rim or behind the arc.

Those numbers leveled off a bit as the season wore on and the injuries mounted, but he still finished with the 3rd highest percentage of attempts at the rim, and his 3rd highest FG% at the rim. John Wall likes spacing.

If Wall comes back in March reasonably healthy, he is likely to be a MASSIVE upgrade over the shytshow of Ish and Thomas manning the point. Also, Brown and Hachimura should be reaching a real level of comfort with NBA play by then. I think it's very possible that the team might put together a pretty impressive run to close out the season. Yeah, it will be against a bunch of tanking teams, but it still will be significant morale boost. The team could go 17-43 in its first 60 games but then finish 13-9 down the stretch with Wall playing well and the youngsters rounding into form.

We might find ourselves next summer rooting for a team that played above-500 ball for the last quarter of a season on the strength of a mostly under-23 roster, with a high lotto pick on the way in the offseason plus $15-20M in cap room. The narrative in the media will be that Sheppard has done a very nice job of turning the franchise around and things are looking up.

From your keyboard to God's ears! :) I like this idea a lot.

Where I see a problem is in scoring efficiency: Bryant had a tremendous TS% last year, obviously, but the next 5 guys in descending order of TS% were Howard, Robinson, Green, Satoransky & Parker, who combined for over 25% of our minutes last year & are all gone. How do we get past that problem? Well...

Bertans' numbers last year were oddly like Jeff Green's -- though overall he was better than Jeff. To me, it wouldn't be a big surprise for Bertans/Rui (& even with Wagner getting minutes) to be better than Green/Kieff/Parker -- in TS% & overall. Given that Bryant will play many more minutes this year than last, if there's a downgrade in team TS% it doesn't seem likely to come from the 4-5.

But, SF is another matter: Trevor was one of our best players last year. Ideally, Troy should play all his minutes from last year plus his own (@2200 overall); but it'll take a nice jump from him to be as solid as Ariza was. & who's behind him? If we have to play Miles a lot, & he is as he was last year.... :( . It will be a big help if we can somehow keep Jones -- at least based on his numbers last year, though that was a tiny sample obviously. & if Admiral shows something positive pretty quickly.

The big drop -- esp. in team TS% -- is likely to come from the PG position, where TBH I can't see how Ish Smith is better even than Chasson Randle! Better send some very positive vibes in the direction of Justin Robinson! :)

It's all on Brad & the young'uns, as nate points out. What a nice story it would be to see them develop quickly & have a solid last 1/3 of the season!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#202 » by queridiculo » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:33 pm

doclinkin wrote:Just to beat the point to death:

Beal, Bertans, Bryant,
all posted eFG% and TS% of ~ 60%.

Hachimura too posted 60% if it translates.

Ok our bench still sucks. But a good coach can do something fun with scoring like that. And a savvy point guard can make everybody look good.

Never know. Maybe we can play the tallsmallball line up of:

Wall/Troy — distribution, handling
Beal — motion, more handling, on ball/off ball threat
Bertans — sniper tower 42% from 3 last year.
Hachimura — bail out scoring. Finisher.
Bryant — improving sniper tower, pick and roll scorer, low post finisher.

But yeah. We need defensive improvement from all of: Bryant. Troy. Rui.

But. I dunno. They’re all still young?

I like the way you're thinking with respect to starting lineups.

I am not encouraged by Brooks comments about TBJ and how he views his role with the team, but I love the idea of throwing Brown to the wolves and rolling with him as the starting PG.

Brown/Beal/Bertans/Hachimura/Bryant just makes too much sense but judging by Brooks generally preferring vets over rooks and pups it wouldn't be surprise me the least if we got Smith/Beal/Miles/Bertans/Bryant instead.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,356

Post#203 » by nate33 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:12 pm

queridiculo wrote:

Beal, Bertans, Bryant,

Ok our bench still sucks. But a good coach can do something fun with scoring like that. And a savvy point guard can make everybody look good.

I am not encouraged by Brooks comments about TBJ and how he views his role with the team, but I love the idea of throwing Brown to the wolves and rolling with him as the starting PG.

Brown/Beal/Bertans/Hachimura/Bryant just makes too much sense but judging by Brooks generally preferring vets over rooks and pups it wouldn't be surprise me the least if we got Smith/Beal/Miles/Bertans/Bryant instead.

They can't start Hachimura and Bertans together because they're the only guys on the team who can man the PF position. Starting Hachimura at SF means that our backup PF is either Miles or Wagner - and both are disasters, particularly when alongside Mahinmi.

I wouldn't mind a crunch time lineup of Brown, Beal, Hachimura, Bertans and Bryant though.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#204 » by closg00 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:14 pm

IT working with the fellas
Read on Twitter
rl25g
Junior
And1: 30

Post#205 » by rl25g » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:19 pm

nate33 wrote:
queridiculo wrote:

Beal, Bertans, Bryant,

They can't start Hachimura and Bertans together because they're the only guys on the team who can man the PF position. Starting Hachimura at SF means that our backup PF is either Miles or Wagner - and both are disasters, particularly when alongside Mahinmi.

I wouldn't mind a crunch time lineup of Brown, Beal, Hachimura, Bertans and Bryant though.

Unless Thomas returns to form that is easily our best 5
good basketball.. simple living.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#206 » by doclinkin » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:29 pm

nate33 wrote:
queridiculo wrote:

Beal, Bertans, Bryant,

Yeah starting spots are overrated. And like you I was looking ahead to next year. (Talking Wall with 4th year Bryant). This year we will see streaks. But Rui will likely be Rookimura this year. I’m curious to see how it turns out. I’m looking for hopeful signs and streaks of glory. It should be fun. I think the guys are going to enjoy playing with each other this year. Win or lose. So long as Brooks is willing to let them play and develop and not play has-been vets too long.

By the way. @ridiculo. We have two TBjrs. TB6 and TB13. Why I go with Troy and Bryant. Because now we even have an extra Thomas (IT). It’s maddening.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#207 » by payitforward » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:58 pm

Who-he Rookimura -- I like that! :)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#208 » by payitforward » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:00 pm

(Actually, for reasons I do not quite understand, & despite the fact that I wouldn't have picked him at #9, I have the feeling that Hachimura will have a very strong rookie season! Don't know why... call it a hunch.)
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#209 » by dangermouse » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:00 am

I know its early days.... but Bryant looks a little uhhhh husky and slow, in that vid
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#210 » by gambitx777 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:34 am

It's the summer, he's not really turning and he just got paid let the big fella enjoy some pasta with some cake after for a couple weeks before he gets back to lean clean eating. He's earned it.
dangermouse wrote:I know its early days.... but Bryant looks a little uhhhh husky and slow, in that vid

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
smoothSeph
Pro Prospect
And1: 526

Post#211 » by smoothSeph » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:35 am

dangermouse wrote:I know its early days.... but Bryant looks a little uhhhh husky and slow, in that vid

There’s a full video out on YouTube and Bryant was dominating. Matched up mainly with Harrell too so it wasn’t just slouch competition
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#212 » by doclinkin » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:36 am

smoothSeph wrote:

There’s a full video out on YouTube and Bryant was dominating. Matched up mainly with Harrell too so it wasn’t just slouch competition

Link?
queridiculo
RealGM

Post#213 » by queridiculo » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:26 am

doclinkin wrote:
smoothSeph wrote:

Link?

It's Rico Hines basketball run at UCLA. It's your regular run of the mill open run featuring pros, semipros and college players, former and current.

Wouldn't take too much away from it, there's really not much defense played in these games but Bryant does look comfortable knocking 'em down from just about anywhere and there's some nice chemistry with Isaiah Thomas on a few plays.

Skip to around 26:20, Earl Watson with some comments for Bryant.

Mentions some of the great power forwards like Malone, Duncan, Garnett and that what made them unique is that when they set a pick they made the defense shift. Says that Bryant slips the picks too quickly, has to give his guard a chance to make the weakside react.

Be great at shooting and all the other stuff, but also be great at ball reversal, the little things.

Stresses the need to add layers to his game or risk becoming obsolete.

queridiculo
RealGM

Post#214 » by queridiculo » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:05 am

One of these days it would be interesting to find out just who the team was that offered a first rounder in return for Otto Porter before the moronic decision to make the deal a simple salary dump.

Coming away from the draft with Hachimura and Clarke would have been pretty epic.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#215 » by Ruzious » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:25 pm

Was that Jimmy Butler at 7:08 faking Wagner out of his shoes and made various other outstanding plays? If it's someone else's scrub, we need to get him.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#216 » by nate33 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:58 pm

payitforward wrote:(Actually, for reasons I do not quite understand, & despite the fact that I wouldn't have picked him at #9, I have the feeling that Hachimura will have a very strong rookie season! Don't know why... call it a hunch.)

I think so too. He has a pretty refined offensive game for a rookie, and he has the size and strength to hold his own at either forward position. Physically and skillwise, he's a legitimate NBA player on Day 1. The only aspect where he'll suffer is in thinking the game. The game is going to move real fast for him at first. We'll see how long it takes for the game to slow down.
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#217 » by Shoe » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:07 pm

Read on Twitter

Dang I was looking forward to Beal vs. Sato vs. Rui in group E
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#218 » by nate33 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:13 pm

Shoe wrote:
Read on Twitter

Dang I was looking forward to Beal vs. Sato vs. Rui in group E

I don't know if this is good because Beal won't have to listen to all those guys recruiting him every day, or if it's bad because it means he won't get to practice with the best players and coaches in the world.

Mostly, I'm just happy that he's going to spend more time with his family.
queridiculo
RealGM

Post#219 » by queridiculo » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:14 pm

Ruzious wrote:Was that Jimmy Butler at 7:08 faking Wagner out of his shoes and made various other outstanding plays? If it's someone else's scrub, we need to get him.

Kept doing double takes, it's not him.
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#220 » by Shoe » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:18 pm

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27237897/owner-ted-leonsis-new-wizards-why-quick

In the way that former president Ernie Grunfeld had structured and managed the Washington Wizards' hierarchy, there were few instances of subordinates afforded access to owner Ted Leonsis. Coaches and executives would come and go, but audiences without Grunfeld's presence to filter interactions were rare.

For 16 years, Sheppard had been an assistant GM with the franchise. Sheppard showed Leonsis what the rest of the league had always known: He never shared his internal disagreements on decisions with those outside the organization. Leonsis said: "Tommy told me: 'I am loyal to the people I report to. I'm not going to say, I wouldn't have done that. I'm going to tell what we should do now.'"

They had Bradley Beal in the draft room, talking through the kind of character changes on the roster that would complement the All-Star guard. They moved Dwight Howard out of the organization. ("The quickest trade I've ever done in my life," Sheppard said.)

Return to Washington Wizards