ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXVIII

Moderators: montestewart, nate33, LyricalRico

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 3,780

Re: Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXVIII 

Post#221 » by payitforward » Sat Sep 7, 2019 3:34 pm

It's a fun idea -- but I can't see a reason for us to do it. Except that it shortens the salary load going forward.

In effect, this is just Paul for Wall -- everybody else is expiring.

I imagine we'd win something like 45 games, but we wouldn't threaten in the East.

One benefit would be to take some pressure off of Rui, who wouldn't play nearly as much w/ Gallo around.

Plus... who is backing up Thomas Bryant after we do this deal?
Pay no attention to the remarks above. Or, per Ruzious: "PIF, ...the best part of your posts is your tagline."
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 8,403

Post#222 » by nate33 » Sat Sep 7, 2019 7:34 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Conjuring the ghost of George Allen, the Wiz decide to try to be relevant THIS year.

We send John Wall, Ian Mahinmi, and Davis Bertrans to OKC for Chris Paul and Daniel Gallinari.
We do it to try to be relevant in the East now.

OKC decides by the time they start to turn it around Wall will be worth more than Paul (probably then they make the rumored Adams for Hayward deal to double down on rehab) with Bertrans being a younger and similar player to Gallinari.

If (a BIG IF) we then stay healthy, how far do you think we are likely to go in the East?

I don't think I'd even do this but just for thought . . .

I don't think OKC does it.

At the moment Paul is more valuable than Wall. He is currently healthy and his contract is a year shorter. (Also, I don't think insurance would cover Wall's contract if he is traded, but I may be wrong about that.) And Bertans and Gallinari are both UFA's next summer. Their age is irrelevant. Both guys only have value for this year and Gallinari is clearly the better player.

I'd certainly do the trade. And then I'd look to move Paul to Miami and flip Gallinari for a pick and an expiring.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 3,697

Post#223 » by penbeast0 » Sat Sep 7, 2019 8:35 pm

IF Paul could be moved to Miami reasonably, OKC would do it themselves. This is just a fun idea based on Paul's contract (like Wall's) being immobile with Paul having more short term value and Wall more long term. So, try to concentrate the short term value on Paul's team and the bad contracts and draft choices on Wall's. On the trade board, I wrote an OKC version of this which to me makes more sense than this one but, as PIF said, it's just for fun. I wouldn't do it because I don't see how you get that one more good vet to make us a legit contender salarywise.
[quote="Nivek"] This post could come only from a Wizards fan. It somehow combines delusional optimism with soul-crushing pessimism.
Jamaaliver
RealGM 2018 NCAA Tourney Challenge Champ
And1: 7,394

Post#224 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:29 am

Did anyone hear/read this comment by Zach Lowe?

I'm curious what LAC could possibly still have in their possession that would appeal to Wizards?

Read on Twitter
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#225 » by nate33 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:33 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Did anyone hear/read this comment by Zach Lowe?

I'm curious what LAC could possibly still have in their possession that would appeal to Wizards?

Read on Twitter

Oh great. Another one of those "Team X has interest in Bradley Beal" stories. Of course Team X has interest in Bradley Beal. EVERYONE has interest in Bradley Beal, because he's really good, still young, and has a style of game that can blend into any system.

It's surely just an offhand comment morphing into a trade rumor. The Clippers have no assets. They traded them all away for Paul George. They can't possibly obtain Beal unless they trade Kawhi. They only pick they have available to trade is their 2020 1st, which is likely to be the #26 pick in the draft. What? Do they think they can get Beal for Shamet, Harkless, Zubak and the #26 pick? GTFO of here.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#226 » by nate33 » Yesterday 1:40 pm

While contemplating an Ian Mahinmi for Steven Adams trade that was brought up in the "let's cut Mahinmi thread", I came up with this idea:

Washington trades: Ian Mahinmi, CJ Miles, Ish Smith, Isaac Bonga
Washington receives: Gordon Hayward, Robert Williams

OKC trades: Steven Adams, 2nd round pick
OKC receives: Ian Mahinmi, CJ Miles

Boston trades: Gordon Hayward, Robert Williams
Boston receives: Steven Adams, Isaac Bonga, Ish Smith, 2nd round pick

Why for Washington: We turn useless players into the very useful, albeit overpaid Gordon Hayward and a young backup center. Hayward's massive salary only lasts one more year and we're not really doing much with that cap space anyhow. This keeps our 2021 options open.

Why for OKC: They dump the final year of Adam's contract at the cost of a 2nd round pick. They save $1.6M this year Miles will be useful to them as a floor spacer. We could send them Ish instead of Miles and they would save $3.5M and get out of the luxtax completely, but they might balk at adding yet another PG to their rotation.

Why for Boston: They turn a somewhat redundant (and expensive) Hayward into the defensive anchor at center that they really need. The 2nd round pick compensates them for losing a decent young prospect in Robert Williams.

I like our 8-man rotation after this trade. We can play Brown at PG since we have good playmaking wings around him in Beal and Hayward.

PG Brown/Thomas
SG Beal/Thomas
SF Hayward/Bertans
PF Hachimura/Bertans
C Bryant/Roberts
End of bench: Robinson, McRae, Schofield, Jones, Wagner

It doesn't really hurt our long term plans much. There should be enough luxtax room to carry Hayward's salary next year. We wouldn't be able to add any other free agents, but I don't think they're looking to add anything but 1-year stopgap guys until 2021 anyhow. Next year, Wall comes back and replaces Thomas, with Brown moving to a 6th man role.

The trade can be simplified by leaving Robert Williams, Bonga and the 2nd round pick out of it, but I was trying to get back a competent backup center to eat minutes in Mahinmi's absence.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 3,780

Post#227 » by payitforward » Yesterday 3:53 pm

Can't OKC trade that R2 pick for more than the $1.6m they save? Boston sends 2 & takes 4, which is a roster problem for them (not unsolvable...).

I like the trade for us in that it brings us a good prospect. I do see your point that next year isn't a year when we need cap space. But... does this trade not slide us into the tax?

Edit -- my biggest problem with the trade is that I don't see a long-term benefit in the little jolt Hayward gives us. He'll be 30 in March, so obviously we aren't looking to keep him long-term. For that reason, I'm not enthusiastic about your modified version of the trade.
Pay no attention to the remarks above. Or, per Ruzious: "PIF, ...the best part of your posts is your tagline."
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,283

Post#228 » by Ruzious » Yesterday 4:31 pm

nate33 wrote:While contemplating an Ian Mahinmi for Steven Adams trade that was brought up in the "let's cut Mahinmi thread", I came up with this idea:

Washington trades: Ian Mahinmi, CJ Miles, Ish Smith, Isaac Bonga
Washington receives: Gordon Hayward, Robert Williams

OKC trades: Steven Adams, 2nd round pick
OKC receives: Ian Mahinmi, CJ Miles

Boston trades: Gordon Hayward, Robert Williams
Boston receives: Steven Adams, Isaac Bonga, Ish Smith, 2nd round pick

Why for Washington: We turn useless players into the very useful, albeit overpaid Gordon Hayward and a young backup center. Hayward's massive salary only lasts one more year and we're not really doing much with that cap space anyhow. This keeps our 2021 options open.

Why for OKC: They dump the final year of Adam's contract at the cost of a 2nd round pick. They save $1.6M this year Miles will be useful to them as a floor spacer. We could send them Ish instead of Miles and they would save $3.5M and get out of the luxtax completely, but they might balk at adding yet another PG to their rotation.

Why for Boston: They turn a somewhat redundant (and expensive) Hayward into the defensive anchor at center that they really need. The 2nd round pick compensates them for losing a decent young prospect in Robert Williams.

I like our 8-man rotation after this trade. We can play Brown at PG since we have good playmaking wings around him in Beal and Hayward.

PG Brown/Thomas
SG Beal/Thomas
SF Hayward/Bertans
PF Hachimura/Bertans
C Bryant/Roberts
End of bench: Robinson, McRae, Schofield, Jones, Wagner

It doesn't really hurt our long term plans much. There should be enough luxtax room to carry Hayward's salary next year. We wouldn't be able to add any other free agents, but I don't think they're looking to add anything but 1-year stopgap guys until 2021 anyhow. Next year, Wall comes back and replaces Thomas, with Brown moving to a 6th man role.

The trade can be simplified by leaving Robert Williams, Bonga and the 2nd round pick out of it, but I was trying to get back a competent backup center to eat minutes in Mahinmi's absence.

That's a phenominal trade for Boston, meh for Washington, and terrible for OKC. OKC can get value for Adams if they want to trade him.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#229 » by nate33 » Yesterday 4:32 pm

payitforward wrote:Can't OKC trade that R2 pick for more than the $1.6m they save? Boston sends 2 & takes 4, which is a roster problem for them (not unsolvable...).

I like the trade for us in that it brings us a good prospect. I do see your point that next year isn't a year when we need cap space. But... does this trade not slide us into the tax?

Edit -- my biggest problem with the trade is that I don't see a long-term benefit in the little jolt Hayward gives us. He'll be 30 in March, so obviously we aren't looking to keep him long-term. For that reason, I'm not enthusiastic about your modified version of the trade.

Don't overlook that they are dumping $27M of Adams' salary in 2020-21. And if they want, they can save $3.5M instead of $1.6M if we ship them Ish (Miles would then go to Boston).

I don't think we slide into the tax with this trade.

I get your point about Hayward being a short term benefit, but I'm wary about too much losing. I don't know how much losing Beal can take. If we made this trade, say, at the middle of the season after starting off with a 13-28 record, and then Wall gets back in March, we could play some strong basketball down the stretch. It doesn't matter if we actually climb into the playoff race this year, but if 25-16 over the second half of the season, we will get is a sense of optimism going into Summer 2020.

It's also worth noting that Hayward wouldn't be displacing any core building blocks in need of development. I'm not too worried if Schofield, Jones and Bonga play less minutes because of this deal. Those guys have upsides as low-minute role players in the first place. What matters is that Hayward doesn't take minutes from Brown, Hachimura and Bryant, and he won't.

Return to Washington Wizards