Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Re: 2020 Draft 

Post#401 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:58 am

Ruzious wrote:
payitforward wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Meh, it's certainly not the norm, but there's gotta be several exceptions of solid NBA players who had previously put up bad numbers in college. I remember one NBA great - Michael Finley had an awful senior year at Sconsin. I just remember that because he was supposed to be a great player and was so disappointing that season - along with their 7 foot center - who's name I can't remember - Rashard Griffith - who later failed with the Bucks - no wonder I kindasorta remember.

Garrett Temple put up bad #s for 4 years at LSU - has more than a 10 year career going. Ish Smith's stats were mediocre at Wake Forest. Off the top o my head.

I just looked up Finley -- he did have a bad senior year. But he had a great Junior year & a very good Sophomore year. Temple had a passable Senior year.

nate made a passing comparison of Okoro to P.J. Tucker. Compare Tucker's Freshman numbers w/ Okoro's when you have a chance.

Now... it's still early in the kid's Freshman year -- he's played under 600 minutes. His numbers might jump considerably before the end of the year. But, if they don't, well... somebody will draft him, & we'll get to watch what happens. I wouldn't be bucking those odds.

Still, you're talking about his freshman year while ignoring Temple's first 3 years in your rule - Pif's Rule, as it's known.

DeAndre Jordan wasn't good in college. He averaged 7.9 points, 4.1 rebounds and 1.3 blocks in 20.1 minutes per game. Russell Westbrook averaged 3.4 points per game as a freshman. Jimmy Butler was barely recruited out of high school, and started his career at Tyler Junior College. Zach Randolph was just the fourth-leading scorer on a 2001 Michigan State team. Otto Porter as a Freshman shot 22% on 3s.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#402 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:01 am

Auburn is on ESPNU tonight 9:00 if you want to see Isaac Okoro with your own eyes.

NBADraftRoom.com : "A standout defender and excellent athlete who is a game-changer with his energy and effort. Excels in transition."

OKORO WILL CRUSH YOU PIF !!!
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,870

Post#403 » by payitforward » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:43 am

Sigh... I've seen Okoro, & I'll see plenty more of him I'm sure. I have no interest in arguing about a kid who's played 500 minutes of college ball. I hope he turns out great -- honestly, I really do.

Nor do I have any interest in arguing with you. Why would I? In fact, I'm counting on Okoro to have a great game tonight so that you can gloat! :)

OTOH...

DeAndre Jordan shot .617 & averaged 12 rebounds & 2.5 blocks -- as a college Freshman. When did you first learn his name, I wonder. When did you become aware of him as a prospect? Off the top of your head, w/o looking, what draft was he in & what pick was he taken? (Edit: I see that you looked at the wrong column to get his rebound number -- he got 4.1 defensive boards per game; you missed the 1.9 offensive rebounds -- & offensive rebounding has been one of his most notable skills, obviously; very few guys get almost 1/3 of their boards on the offensive end)

Jimmy Butler -- did you know who he was when he was drafted? Where did you have him ranked that year? What year was it, btw? All off the top of your head & w/o looking please. Oh, & what brought Jimmy Butler to the attention of NBA FOs? What did he do that raised his profile? Where'd he play his college ball? No looking, now!

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but for better or worse these are all facts that I have at hand, i.e. in my head, between my ears, about which I don't have to think in order to speak them out. (But I don't mean the numbers -- those I have to look up in order to be accurate) In 2008 (that's the year) I had Jordan ranked way above JaVale -- how about you? That year, I very much wanted the Wizards to trade down -- I thought they'd be able to get a low R1 pick & a high R2 one -- & get whatsisname (the French wing that plays for Charlotte -- see, I forget things too) or Ibaka & also get Jordan (he went somewhere in the mid-30's that year: #37 perhaps? See, I don't have the universe memorized).

Russell Westbrook played a total of 325 minutes as a Freshman. He was quite good as a Sophomore -- tho, I tell you what, I didn't like him much at all. I didn't think he'd be very good. & I was very wrong, wasn't I? No problem, I've been wrong often. Who isn't?

Zach Randolph scored 22 points per 40 minutes at a .607 TS% -- as a Freshman! While grabbing almost 14 rebounds per 40 minute. For whatever reason, he was a guy I paid no attention to.

Why I'm blanking on the Charlotte guy, I have no idea! Not gonna bother looking it up. Am I right that he went #25 in 2008?

Btw, that year... wait... I've got it! Nic Batum. Whew!!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#404 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:08 am

Watching this game vs Bucks... If we can draft a guy with shut down defense ability and a defensive mentality , it's definitely an area of need !!!
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#405 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:37 am

Great game this Saturday on ESPN 6:00, Kentucky vs Auburn!

Chance to watch Okoro , as well as Maxey and Hagans among others....
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#406 » by WizarDynasty » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:54 pm

If we can find a aldridge type player, I would be very appreciative.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,487

Post#407 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:39 am

payitforward
RealGM

Post#408 » by payitforward » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:33 am

It occurs to me that in the 2020 draft we will see kids who were born after 9/11. To me, that is mind-blowing beyond anything I can put into words.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#409 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:28 am

payitforward wrote:Sigh... I've seen Okoro, & I'll see plenty more of him I'm sure. I have no interest in arguing about a kid who's played 500 minutes of college ball. I hope he turns out great -- honestly, I really do.

Nor do I have any interest in arguing with you. Why would I? In fact, I'm counting on Okoro to have a great game tonight so that you can gloat! :)

OTOH...

DeAndre Jordan shot .617 & averaged 12 rebounds & 2.5 blocks -- as a college Freshman. When did you first learn his name, I wonder. When did you become aware of him as a prospect? Off the top of your head, w/o looking, what draft was he in & what pick was he taken? (Edit: I see that you looked at the wrong column to get his rebound number -- he got 4.1 defensive boards per game; you missed the 1.9 offensive rebounds -- & offensive rebounding has been one of his most notable skills, obviously; very few guys get almost 1/3 of their boards on the offensive end)

Jimmy Butler -- did you know who he was when he was drafted? Where did you have him ranked that year? What year was it, btw? All off the top of your head & w/o looking please. Oh, & what brought Jimmy Butler to the attention of NBA FOs? What did he do that raised his profile? Where'd he play his college ball? No looking, now!

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but for better or worse these are all facts that I have at hand, i.e. in my head, between my ears, about which I don't have to think in order to speak them out. (But I don't mean the numbers -- those I have to look up in order to be accurate) In 2008 (that's the year) I had Jordan ranked way above JaVale -- how about you? That year, I very much wanted the Wizards to trade down -- I thought they'd be able to get a low R1 pick & a high R2 one -- & get whatsisname (the French wing that plays for Charlotte -- see, I forget things too) or Ibaka & also get Jordan (he went somewhere in the mid-30's that year: #37 perhaps? See, I don't have the universe memorized).

Russell Westbrook played a total of 325 minutes as a Freshman. He was quite good as a Sophomore -- tho, I tell you what, I didn't like him much at all. I didn't think he'd be very good. & I was very wrong, wasn't I? No problem, I've been wrong often. Who isn't?

Zach Randolph scored 22 points per 40 minutes at a .607 TS% -- as a Freshman! While grabbing almost 14 rebounds per 40 minute. For whatever reason, he was a guy I paid no attention to.

Why I'm blanking on the Charlotte guy, I have no idea! Not gonna bother looking it up. Am I right that he went #25 in 2008?

Btw, that year... wait... I've got it! Nic Batum. Whew!!

I remember seeing a video of DeAndre Jordan just before the draft. I liked him better than McGee just based off that.

Randolph I loved. He was in the same draft as Shane Battier and another player I liked a lot, Troy Murphy. I wanted the Wizards to trade down from the first they ended up using on Kwame Brown for two firsts; and pick Battier and Randolph or Murphy. I knew MJ wasn't going to pick a Duke guy in Battier, but he would have been a lot better off with two for one.

I didn't really notice Butler.

Westbrook I was TOTALLY WRONG about. He was on Kevin Love's team. I think Darren Collison had gone a year earlier. Either way, I incorrectly thought Westbrook was not a PG and that Love had carried that team. I was astonished Westbrook went one pick earlier. OKC got that one right, arguably.
Bye bye Beal.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#410 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:30 am

Jamaaliver wrote:Image

Wow, that's the first time I've ever seen such a detailed, professional scouting report. Thanks.
Bye bye Beal.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#411 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:46 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Wow, that's the first time I've ever seen such a detailed, professional scouting report. Thanks.

Glad to be of service.

The Stepien is a really great resource for detailed, in-depth looks at prospects.

(Click the image for the link.)
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#412 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Feb 1, 2020 4:56 pm

Isaac Okoro

As of late January 2020, Isaac Okoro offers a uniquely well-rounded game with the potential to instantly contribute at the next level on defense. There are no guarantees of dynamic on-ball play or reliable shooting in the immediate future, however, which may limit his potential for “top pick” consideration. Nonetheless, Isaac’s all-around prospects suggest that he may be the best candidate for his archetype: for any team that is intrigued by a heady wing that projects for a high “floor” and sneaky upside, a selection landing as high as the #7-10 range would be warranted.

The Stepien
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#413 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Feb 1, 2020 5:26 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Isaac Okoro

As of late January 2020, Isaac Okoro offers a uniquely well-rounded game with the potential to instantly contribute at the next level on defense. There are no guarantees of dynamic on-ball play or reliable shooting in the immediate future, however, which may limit his potential for “top pick” consideration. Nonetheless, Isaac’s all-around prospects suggest that he may be the best candidate for his archetype: for any team that is intrigued by a heady wing that projects for a high “floor” and sneaky upside, a selection landing as high as the #7-10 range would be warranted.

The Stepien

Good game tonight 6:00 ESPN right before Wizards game Kentucky vs Auburn. Chance to watch a few prospects that could be intriguing to the Wizards including Okoro , as well as Maxey and Hagans among others, Wiley, etc....
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#414 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Feb 2, 2020 6:30 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
Isaac Okoro

The Stepien

Good game tonight 6:00 ESPN right before Wizards game Kentucky vs Auburn. Chance to watch a few prospects that could be intriguing to the Wizards including Okoro , as well as Maxey and Hagans among others, Wiley, etc....

Man this was seriously a great game! I would so love to figure a way to come out of this draft with both Okoro AND Maxey. I really like both these guys!
payitforward
RealGM

Post#415 » by payitforward » Sun Feb 2, 2020 2:08 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote: The Stepien

Man this was seriously a great game! I would so love to figure a way to come out of this draft with both Okoro AND Maxey. I really like both these guys!

If the Stepien likes Okoro, he jumps up on my radar -- I think that's a great site & a great bunch of analysts.

Btw, who do you think they (well... at least a couple of them!) had as the second best prospect in the 2019 draft -- after Zion?
Spoiler:
Aw... come on now: you know who it was!
Brandon Clarke, of course!
Pistol King
Junior
And1: 457

Post#416 » by Pistol King » Sun Feb 2, 2020 5:06 pm

Deni Avdija is going to be a monster player in the NBA. Mark my words.
I follow him on the Israeli league and the Euroleague and this dude is really something special.
Impressive combination of height, dribbling, passing, court view, good touch on the ball and a winner mentality.
An all star potential IMO.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#417 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Feb 2, 2020 5:26 pm

Read on Twitter
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#418 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Fri Feb 7, 2020 2:32 am

Arizona vs USC on ESPN 2 now... Chance to see Onyeka Okongwu, Mannion, Nnaji, Josh Green...
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#419 » by gambitx777 » Fri Feb 7, 2020 2:58 am

I have Jan nightmares. So idk but I wouldn't hate it
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Image

Wow, that's the first time I've ever seen such a detailed, professional scouting report. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#420 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Fri Feb 7, 2020 3:19 am

Josh Green is looking pretty good ! Standing out in this game with a lot of other 1st round talent ...

Return to Washington Wizards