ImageImageImageImageImage

2020 Draft

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Re: 2020 Draft 

Post#361 » by payitforward » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:06 am

All those who expected, 2 years ago, that Luka Doncic would be a leading MVP candidate in his 2d year in the league, raise your hand. I hope nobody raised his hand, because I don't think even one person here suggested that maybe he should go #1 in the '18 draft.

Who went second in 2018? Everybody remember w/o even thinking about it? Where he plays?

Ayton went #1; the guy picked #2, is he better than Mitchell Robinson whom the Knicks got with the 36th pick in the draft? Is anybody picked in 2018, other than Doncic, better than Mitchell Robinson?

I have no idea how good Deni Avdija is going to be, do you? Did you say, "No; I have no idea whatever how good he's going to be" -- did you? Hope so. But, if you do think you know, then I hope you were calling vociferously for Luka Doncic to be picked first in 2018. Thing is, tho, you weren't.

I wasn't doing that. I didn't know how good Doncic would be. & I don't know how good Deni Avdija will be. Thing is, tho, 2 years ago I knew that the guy picked second in the draft was going to be an absolute monster. His name is Marvin Bagley, & he sucks. He can't earn minutes for the Sacramento Kings, because Richaun Holmes keeps him nailed to his seat. Richaun Holmes who was picked #37 in 2015 (34 picks after Jahlik Okafor; you remember him, right? Gonna be a monster).

So, here's the thing, lets not opine on Deni Avdija. Anyway, that's my idea.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Post#362 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:54 am

payitforward wrote:All those who expected, 2 years ago, that Luka Doncic would be a leading MVP candidate in his 2d year in the league, raise your hand. I hope nobody raised his hand, because I don't think even one person here suggested that maybe he should go #1 in the '18 draft.

Who went second in 2018? Everybody remember w/o even thinking about it? Where he plays?

Ayton went #1; the guy picked #2, is he better than Mitchell Robinson whom the Knicks got with the 36th pick in the draft? Is anybody picked in 2018, other than Doncic, better than Mitchell Robinson?

I have no idea how good Deni Avdija is going to be, do you? Did you say, "No; I have no idea whatever how good he's going to be" -- did you? Hope so. But, if you do think you know, then I hope you were calling vociferously for Luka Doncic to be picked first in 2018. Thing is, tho, you weren't.

I wasn't doing that. I didn't know how good Doncic would be. & I don't know how good Deni Avdija will be. Thing is, tho, 2 years ago I knew that the guy picked second in the draft was going to be an absolute monster. His name is Marvin Bagley, & he sucks. He can't earn minutes for the Sacramento Kings, because Richaun Holmes keeps him nailed to his seat. Richaun Holmes who was picked #37 in 2015 (34 picks after Jahlik Okafor; you remember him, right? Gonna be a monster).

Yeah when you're as bad as the Wizards are, you take the BPA . They need to add as much talent as possible everywhere.

And you're right about every draft has busts and surprise talent late. Just think about guys like Anthony Bennett, Kwame Brown, Darko Milicic vs Marc Gasol, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Kawhi Leonard.

This draft seems especially difficult to get a handle on. Just looking at some of the guards....

Cole Anthony is at 12 on Draft Room, 4 on bleacher report, 8 on sbnation, 2 on CBS Sports.

RJ Hampton is 7 on Draft Room, 11 on bleacher and sbnation, 6 on CBS.

Mannion 14 on Draft Room, 9 on bleacher, 5 on sbnation, 15 on CBS.

Maxey 19 on Draft Room, 13 Bleacher, 6 sbnation, 5 CBS.

Halliburton 6 on Draft room, 12 bleacher, 10 SBN, 7 CBS.

Hayes 15 on Draft room, 10 bleacher, 3 SBN, 20 CBS.

Most of these guys are all over the place. Just shows nobody really knows...
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#363 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:39 am

I do like the idea of adding a guard through the draft all things being equal...

I liked Anthony entering the season, but already having a major knee injury does concern me. Studies show that the success rate for the arthroscopic repair of meniscal tears ranges from a low of 64 per cent to a high of 97 percent.

Right now the players interesting me are Hampton and Haliburton. Although Maxey has definitely gotten my attention...

2nd round I'm liking Dante and Tillie, among others.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#364 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:57 pm

Watching Haliburton vs Okoro right now on ESPNU.

6:00 ESPN has Kentucky vs Texas Tech , chance to watch Maxey...
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#365 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:28 pm

Okoro is interesting... His defense and motor is what makes him intiguing, I see some Oubre, but he seems more fluid and coordinated.
bsilver
Pro Prospect
And1: 462

Post#366 » by bsilver » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:43 pm

payitforward wrote:All those who expected, 2 years ago, that Luka Doncic would be a leading MVP candidate in his 2d year in the league, raise your hand. I hope nobody raised his hand, because I don't think even one person here suggested that maybe he should go #1 in the '18 draft.

I thought Doncic was a no-brainer at #1. Also wanted Mitchell Robinson for our pick.
On the downside, I thought Bagley was going to be good.
My post from from June 21,2018:
"With Doncic going 3 or 4, I think this his situation has some similarities to Michael Jordan going 3rd in his draft. To me Doncic is clearly the best basketball player in the draft. He also fits in best with direction the league is moving, but picking big men still seems to dominate the draft thinking.

And to contradict myself, I'd be satisfied with Robert Williams for us, but still holding out a some hope for Mitchell Robinson. We're so bad in the front court the situation is desperate. Both player can be elite shot blockers and rebounders."
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics — quote popularized by Mark Twain.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,847

Post#367 » by dckingsfan » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:47 pm

So, I have been watching a bunch of Deni Avdija. He is a solid ball handler, very tricky passer. On D he is a fluid defender rebounder and gets his share of blocks and steals. He rebounds and blocks shots like a SF even though he plays SG.

I think his game is going to translate well. I don't know how he compares to the college players though...
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#368 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:55 pm

Man Auburn is good! I think Maryland is good, but then I see Auburn at 16 so good defensively and athletic. Okoro, Mclemore, Mccormick, Purifoy, Doughty, Wiley... and they are well coached. Really makes it hard to judge these guys playing against them like Haliburton today, because Iowa St as a team is just getting overwhelmed. It's hard to get a read on an individual player, same thing happened when I watched Aaron Nesmith and Vanderbilt play against them. You can get some flashes of their skill, but not really getting much opportunity to display what they can do.

Okoro is starting to win me over, he really looks good this game. Size, length strength, athleticism, energetic, physical, and has skill, can pass and shoot definitely can see offensive upside.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#369 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:23 pm

Bleacher Report

"Isaac Okoro, arguably the draft's most promising defender who continues to make strides offensively.

He's shown the ability to lock down, guard multiple positions and wall up inside, and with quick feet, strong legs, a 225-pound frame and focus, it's easy to buy Okoro's exceptional defense translating. His shooting touch needs work, but he excels as a driver, cutter and passer. And the eye test on his jumper suggests room for improvement down the road."

SBNation

"To have Okoro as a top-10 pick is to believe he can be a special perimeter defender while his offense continues to develop. Auburn coach Bruce Pearl called Okoro the best defender he’s ever coached before he played his first game. That talent has been on display throughout the start to his college career even if it isn’t showing up yet in his steal rate. A long and strong 6’6 wing, Okoro can defend both on- and off-the-ball because of his impressive reaction time, ability to hold his own in the paint, and versatility to switch onto any position."
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#370 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:52 pm

Bleacher Report

"The Boston Celtics will steal the Memphis Grizzlies' first-round pick if it falls outside the top six. It's becoming a more realistic possibility with rookies Ja Morant and Brandon Clarke already impact players for Memphis.

The C's can't upgrade any starting position in the draft, so they'll likely take offers for the pick."

I'd love to figure out a way to acquire another 1st round pick.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Post#371 » by payitforward » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:57 pm

bsilver wrote:

I thought Doncic was a no-brainer at #1. Also wanted Mitchell Robinson for our pick.
On the downside, I thought Bagley was going to be good.
My post from from June 21,2018:
"With Doncic going 3 or 4, I think this his situation has some similarities to Michael Jordan going 3rd in his draft. To me Doncic is clearly the best basketball player in the draft. He also fits in best with direction the league is moving, but picking big men still seems to dominate the draft thinking.

And to contradict myself, I'd be satisfied with Robert Williams for us, but still holding out a some hope for Mitchell Robinson. We're so bad in the front court the situation is desperate. Both player can be elite shot blockers and rebounders."

Well done on your part; nor am I surprised.

I wouldn't have picked Robinson @#15, as it didn't seem necessary. I would have traded down to get him & another asset. Still, Troy Brown has turned out very well indeed!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#372 » by Dark Faze » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:08 am

My top were prospects were Ayton, Trae, Doncic, in that order.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#373 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:34 am

So Maxey wasn't too impressive vs Tex Tech to say the least. Freshmen will be up and down, this game was a downer. Still he certainly looks the part physically. You can see the potential on both ends of the court.

Wondering about Cole Anthony....

Does anyone know the severity of his injury and the possible long term impact? I know it's a partial tear. It can't be good to have such a serious injury so young. Wasn't meniscus tear ultimately the demise to Arenas?
Doug_Blew
Junior
And1: 313

Post#374 » by Doug_Blew » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:59 am

I liked Doncic as the top pick because Dat2U had him as the only player in his top bracket. Dat2U seems to usually be right about draft picks.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#375 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:19 am

Watching this show right now on FS1 , Elite Youth... It's really good, about the top high school recruits, featuring Cole Anthony and Tyrese Maxey among others...
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#376 » by Illmatic12 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:01 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Bleacher Report

"Isaac Okoro, arguably the draft's most promising defender who continues to make strides offensively.

He's shown the ability to lock down, guard multiple positions and wall up inside, and with quick feet, strong legs, a 225-pound frame and focus, it's easy to buy Okoro's exceptional defense translating. His shooting touch needs work, but he excels as a driver, cutter and passer. And the eye test on his jumper suggests room for improvement down the road."

SBNation

"To have Okoro as a top-10 pick is to believe he can be a special perimeter defender while his offense continues to develop. Auburn coach Bruce Pearl called Okoro the best defender he’s ever coached before he played his first game. That talent has been on display throughout the start to his college career even if it isn’t showing up yet in his steal rate. A long and strong 6’6 wing, Okoro can defend both on- and off-the-ball because of his impressive reaction time, ability to hold his own in the paint, and versatility to switch onto any position."

In my opinion Okoro is probably the #1 defensive wing prospect we’ve seen since Kawhi Leonard in 2011.

He reminds me of Leonard in that he’s like a robot on the court. Always locked in and rarely ever will he make a noticeable defensive error. You just don’t see those sorts of instincts from teenagers, especially with his frame and physicality.

Isaac also seems to be a great teammate , and it’s been said that as soon as he got to Auburn from day 1 earned the respect and deference of the seniors on the team - not easy to do at a Bruce Pearl program. I think if the right franchise gets their hands on him he’ll develop into an outstanding pro.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,075

Post#377 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:20 pm

"The Boston Celtics will steal the Memphis Grizzlies' first-round pick if it falls outside the top six. It's becoming a more realistic possibility with rookies Ja Morant and Brandon Clarke already impact players for Memphis.

The C's can't upgrade any starting position in the draft, so they'll likely take offers for the pick."

I'd love to figure out a way to acquire another 1st round pick.

The only deal that makes any kind of sense is Bryant for that 1st and filler. And I don't think they think Bryant is enough of an upgrade over Kanter/Williams to be worth the pick.

I suppose Bertans for the pick could work, but I don't think Boston is looking for another 3/4 combo forward. Maybe some type of 3-way where Bertans goes to a team that really needs him and that team sends a good big to Boston. It's all very tough to work out because Boston has so little cap ballast.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,075

Post#378 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:31 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:

SBNation

In my opinion Okoro is probably the #1 defensive wing prospect we’ve seen since Kawhi Leonard in 2011.

He reminds me of Leonard in that he’s like a robot on the court. Always locked in and rarely ever will he make a noticeable defensive error. You just don’t see those sorts of instincts from teenagers, especially with his frame and physicality.

Isaac also seems to be a great teammate , and it’s been said that as soon as he got to Auburn from day 1 earned the respect and deference of the seniors on the team - not easy to do at a Bruce Pearl program. I think if the right franchise gets their hands on him he’ll develop into an outstanding pro.

I watched a little video on him. I don't really see any shades of Kawhi Leonard. He doesn't have the long arms or rebounding instincts. I see more of a P.J. Tucker type of defender. He's strong, stout and moves his body really well. But he's not going to get a lot of steals and blocks. I think he can carve out a niche in this league and would be worthy of a mid first round pick, but I don't see anything more than a role player there.
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#379 » by Shoe » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:17 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:I do like the idea of adding a guard through the draft all things being equal...

It's such a deep draft for guards that the top of the 2nd round could have some steals. They have great advanced stats and are winning games

Gonzaga 6'5 sophomore Joel Ayayi
11/6/4 - 60TS% - 17.8 DRB% - 12.0 TRB% - 10.7 BPM

Kansas 6'2 sophomore Devon Dotson
18/4/4 - 26 PER - 58TS% - 11.8 BPM - 88 DRtg

Kentucky 6'3 sophomore Ashton Hagans:
14/4/7 - high ast/usg% - .651 FT rate

Duke 6`2 sophomore Tre Jones
15/4/6 - 2.2 stl per game - 88 DRtg

Baylor 6'3 sophomore Jared Butler
16/3/3 - 39% 3P - 9 BPM

Seniors Cassius Winston, Markus Howard (28 PPG), Payton Pritchard (20/4/6 on 41% 3P)
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#380 » by Illmatic12 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:19 pm

nate33 wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:

SBNation

I watched a little video on him. I don't really see any shades of Kawhi Leonard. He doesn't have the long arms or rebounding instincts. I see more of a P.J. Tucker type of defender. He's strong, stout and moves his body really well. But he's not going to get a lot of steals and blocks. I think he can carve out a niche in this league and would be worthy of a mid first round pick, but I don't see anything more than a role player there.

Gotta disagree personally, I’ve watched every minute Okoro has played this season (Ive been recording a few college games a week on DVR) and without a doubt feel he has elite defensive talent as well as athleticism & explosiveness that PJ Tucker could never dream of.

Draymond Green isn’t more than a “role player” either but he’s capable of controlling entire aspects of a game. So to me, labeling Okoro in the mold of a role player doesn’t make him a worse prospect or anything. In this draft he’s steadily worked his way into the top 10 range.

Return to Washington Wizards