Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Re: Former Wizards Season Ticketholder Justin Robinson Thread 

Post#2 » by payitforward » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:13 am

Good for him.

Poor kid -- 22, & he's already losing his hair!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,354

Post#3 » by nate33 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:02 am

Wow! Partial guarantees for 3 years? That's pretty risky for a guy with a 6-1 wingspan.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#4 » by payitforward » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:04 pm

If I read that right, nate, if he makes the team this year (i.e. we pick up his option & guarantee him), then we have him next year -- & once again he is partially guaranteed. I.e. if he doesn't make it this year -- that doesn't mean he has a partially guaranteed contract for 2020-21. That seems quite good to me. Am I missing something?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#5 » by pcbothwel » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:35 pm

payitforward wrote:If I read that right, nate, if he makes the team this year (i.e. we pick up his option & guarantee him), then we have him next year -- & once again he is partially guaranteed. I.e. if he doesn't make it this year -- that doesn't mean he has a partially guaranteed contract for 2020-21. That seems quite good to me. Am I missing something?

Nope... everyone is just complaining...
TS pulled a great move here. Offered him a nice deal on his local team if he told other teams not to draft him.
You can view the guaranteed amount as buying a pick in the late 40's/50 and drafting him. Because he would 100% of been drafted if his agent didnt tell other teams no.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#6 » by gambitx777 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:50 pm

Almost sounds like tampering but for a late second round talent I guess no one cares.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#7 » by nate33 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:23 pm

payitforward wrote:If I read that right, nate, if he makes the team this year (i.e. we pick up his option & guarantee him), then we have him next year -- & once again he is partially guaranteed. I.e. if he doesn't make it this year -- that doesn't mean he has a partially guaranteed contract for 2020-21. That seems quite good to me. Am I missing something?

If that's the way it works, I'm fine with it. I just don't want it to be a 3-year commitment.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#8 » by payitforward » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:02 pm

pcbothwel wrote:

Nope... everyone is just complaining...
TS pulled a great move here. Offered him a nice deal on his local team if he told other teams not to draft him.
You can view the guaranteed amount as buying a pick in the late 40's/50 and drafting him. Because he would 100% of been drafted if his agent didnt tell other teams no.

Hadn't thought of it that way -- but that makes perfect sense. Good thinkin' !!
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#9 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:03 pm

Read on Twitter
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#10 » by nate33 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:03 pm

Bump for PIF!
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#11 » by nate33 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:15 pm

Some relevant Justin Robinson posts from the Draft Thread:

80sballboy wrote:Justin Robinson
(basically solid player, not an elite athlete but good enough, not explosive, pretty decent defensively, good shooter, smart, no wingspan)
https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2019/5/19/18629761/justin-robinson-2019-nba-draft-scouting-report-atlanta-hawks-virginia-tech
https://www.nbascoutinglive.com/justin-robinson-virginia-tech
https://www.nba.com/draft/2019/prospects/justin-robinson#/

nate33 wrote:Yikes. 6'-1.5 with a 6'-1.5" wingspan. That's not going to work in the NBA. Most of the successful diminutive guys like Conley, Paul, Augustin, Hill, Burke and Teague all have wingspans 4-6 inches longer than their height. The only guys with wingspans below 6-3 who have had any success in this league are Isaiah Thomas, Patty Mills and Jameer Nelson.

Robinson will just be a practice player. He'll run the D-League offense. If he makes the team, it'll be as a 2-way player, but I even doubt that. They'll probably prefer to develop more promising prospects with those 2-way slots.

nate33 wrote:I'm tempted to start a thread on Justin Robinson, but I should probably wait to see if he actually graduates from the Go-Go and manages to get minutes with the Wizards.

Looking at his college numbers, he seems like a really good under-the-radar find:

The kid averaged 18 points, 7 boards, 4 assists and 2 steals while shooting 47%, 42% and 81%. He showed steady progression every year in nearly all categories. He gets to the line a good amount.

His numbers in conference play are even better:

Sports-reference lists him as 6-2, 195 lbs. I can't find any official measurements.

Here is the obligatory highlight reel:
payitforward
RealGM

Post#12 » by payitforward » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:41 pm

As a senior, Robinson posted a .637 TS% -- that's great, kind of incredible actually for a guard. His 2pt% was .524.

The only thing that stands out as a negative in his numbers is that he turns it over too much. Not a horrible lot -- but it's the number of his that is least good.

He's reputed to be a very solid defender: if so, he might turn into quite a good NBA player. Of course, what I'd like most is that he become as good as Monte Morris, but I don't think he has quite that in him -- at least not off the numbers.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#13 » by FAH1223 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 8:38 pm

he needs to look to pass first
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#14 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 5, 2020 6:57 pm

Justin Robinson, we hardly knew ye:

Read on Twitter

The commitment to him never really made much sense to me. We already had Ish and IT to man the PG spot in the short term, and in the long term, Wall was coming back. I would have understood if we signed him to a 2-way with the hopes of grooming him to be our 3rd string PG next year and 2nd string PG 2-years down the road, but there was no need to give him a roster spot for this season.

This isn't to say that Robinson won't carve out a niche somewhere in this league. He might. The coaching staff loved him in training camp. It's just not the right situation here, and things got even worse for him when we got hit with a wave of frontcourt injuries.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#15 » by gambitx777 » Sun Jan 5, 2020 10:21 pm

Again I would prefer we cut it. But we could still cut it and miles convert Mathews and AP and sign both him and Williams to 2 ways?
nate33 wrote:Justin Robinson, we hardly knew ye:

Read on Twitter

The commitment to him never really made much sense to me. We already had Ish and IT to man the PG spot in the short term, and in the long term, Wall was coming back. I would have understood if we signed him to a 2-way with the hopes of grooming him to be our 3rd string PG next year and 2nd string PG 2-years down the road, but there was no need to give him a roster spot for this season.

This isn't to say that Robinson won't carve out a niche somewhere in this league. He might. The coaching staff loved him in training camp. It's just not the right situation here, and things got even worse for him when we got hit with a wave of frontcourt injuries.

payitforward
RealGM

Post#16 » by payitforward » Mon Jan 6, 2020 1:11 am

Sorry to see Justin go. I wonder if he'd turned down Tommy's offer & b een drafted in R2, would he be on another team right now -- with a roster spot & a guaranteed contract?

In the case of Williams -- he came along way from Israel for a 2-week gig.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#17 » by payitforward » Mon Jan 6, 2020 1:14 am

Didn't we get an exception -- i.e. an extra roster spot -- b/c of the injury to Miles? I sure thought so.

If so, why are we getting down to 15? Maybe there's a plan to convert Mathews? In that case, we'll have room to sign either Williams or Robinson to a 2-way deal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#18 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 6, 2020 2:22 am

gambitx777 wrote:Again I would prefer we cut it. But we could still cut it and miles convert Mathews and AP and sign both him and Williams to 2 ways?

2-Way contracts are not very good deals for players. They only make $75000 a year (plus a bit more in games when they're actually playing in the NBA) and they are committed to a single team where they miss out on opportunities from 29 other teams. It's only a bit more lucrative that regular G-League players who make just $35000.

Presumably, Williams is making more in Israel while also being on the radar of many teams who might offer him an actual roster spot and a million dollar contract. I doubt he would be interested in signing a 2-way.

And I don't see a compelling need to move Mathews and/or Pasečņiks to the NBA roster when they're both on 2-Way contracts and locked into the Wizards via restricted free agency.

I'm in favor of cutting IT, but if I did, I'd just go ahead and retain Williams (or some other half-decent defensive-minded PF) and leave Mathews and Pasečņiks where they are on 2-ways.

Another issue with cutting Thomas is that his salary is probably guaranteed. We would have to eat his $2.3M in salary while still paying whomever replaces him - which eats into the luxtax room and limits our ability to make other deals at the deadline. The logic of cutting Robinson was that his contract was only partially guaranteed. Ted only had to eat $275K.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#19 » by gambitx777 » Mon Jan 6, 2020 6:13 am

Which I understand makes sense. But I just hate to see goo young players go when we have a worthless body on the books
nate33 wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:Again I would prefer we cut it. But we could still cut it and miles convert Mathews and AP and sign both him and Williams to 2 ways?

2-Way contracts are not very good deals for players. They only make $75000 a year (plus a bit more in games when they're actually playing in the NBA) and they are committed to a single team where they miss out on opportunities from 29 other teams. It's only a bit more lucrative that regular G-League players who make just $35000.

Presumably, Williams is making more in Israel while also being on the radar of many teams who might offer him an actual roster spot and a million dollar contract. I doubt he would be interested in signing a 2-way.

And I don't see a compelling need to move Mathews and/or Pasečņiks to the NBA roster when they're both on 2-Way contracts and locked into the Wizards via restricted free agency.

I'm in favor of cutting IT, but if I did, I'd just go ahead and retain Williams (or some other half-decent defensive-minded PF) and leave Mathews and Pasečņiks where they are on 2-ways.

Another issue with cutting Thomas is that his salary is probably guaranteed. We would have to eat his $2.3M in salary while still paying whomever replaces him - which eats into the luxtax room and limits our ability to make other deals at the deadline. The logic of cutting Robinson was that his contract was only partially guaranteed. Ted only had to eat $275K.

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#20 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 6, 2020 1:15 pm

payitforward wrote:Didn't we get an exception -- i.e. an extra roster spot -- b/c of the injury to Miles? I sure thought so.

If so, why are we getting down to 15? Maybe there's a plan to convert Mathews? In that case, we'll have room to sign either Williams or Robinson to a 2-way deal.

As I understand it, we have an extra roster spot, but only when we use the Disabled Player Exception to fill it. Basically, Miles still counts as our 15th guy until we renounce him and generate the DPE. In the meantime, we can't just sign a guy to a 10-day contract or vet-minimum contract while still keeping the DPE in our pocket for a future trade.

I suppose we could use that DPE on a guy like Johnathon Williams, but then we would be committed to him for the rest of the year. I think Sheppard is expecting to do better with the $4.3M DPE than a mere vet-minimum caliber player. He's probably waiting for someone to waive a half-decent vet, or he is looking to use it to absorb salary from an over-the-tax team in exchange for a pick.

Return to Washington Wizards