ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards TV Broadcast: Justin Kutcher & Drew Gooden (2019-2022)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Wizards TV Broadcast: Justin Kutcher & Drew Gooden (2019-2022) 

Post#1 » by FAH1223 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:46 pm

Read on Twitter

Chris Miller also returns in same role.

If you haven't heard Kutcher:

AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Re: New Wizards TV Broadcast: Justin Kutcher, Drew Gooden, Caron Butler 

Post#2 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:11 pm

Pretty damn "daggerrrr!!!"-less.

Sad day. Smh

At least we can hold onto the memories through Caron.

Thanks, Phil and Steve.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#3 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:32 am

I like Uncle Drew well enough. Solid guy, kind of fun here and there yukking it up post game.

But in terms of in game analysis and general listen-ability, I’m not enthused.
In Rizzo we trust
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#4 » by queridiculo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:10 am

Kutcher has a voice that's not made for broadcasting, that pitch is a quite a few octaves over comfort level.

It's going to take some time to get used to his boyish enthusiasm as well.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#5 » by Ruzious » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:07 pm

queridiculo wrote:Kutcher has a voice that's not made for broadcasting, that pitch is a quite a few octaves over comfort level.

It's going to take some time to get used to his boyish enthusiasm as well.

I think he's an okay national guy, but DC's got it's own vibe, and I just don't see him fitting in.

Gooden's a likable guy, but from what I've seen, he goes off on tangents too much. I could see him talking for 10 minutes about sneakers and forgetting there's a game going on.

Caron... the only time I've seen him for an extended time was when he was doing the draft. He came across to me as awfully stiff, but we'll just have to wait and see on him.

Overall... these 3 guys are so different, and I don't see any of them being strong enough to carry the others. And they'll be tainted by how the Wiz got rid of Buck. I don't see it working, but again - we shall see.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#6 » by FAH1223 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:13 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#7 » by Ruzious » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:32 pm

Lol, Kutcher bragged about how he was the perfect blend with Lawson. Last I checked, she's gone to Boston. And he won't have someone like her who can carry him. Wow, he sounds cocky. At this point, it's kinda hard to root for him to do well.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
queridiculo
RealGM

Post#8 » by queridiculo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:21 pm

Ruzious wrote:Lol, Kutcher bragged about how he was the perfect blend with Lawson. Last I checked, she's gone to Boston. And he won't have someone like her who can carry him. Wow, he sounds cocky. At this point, it's kinda hard to root for him to do well.

There's always the mute button, but I'll try to keep an open mind, although I have to admit I didn't like him right off the bat after watching this:

SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Post#9 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:37 pm

Sucks
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#10 » by dangermouse » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:55 am

Phil and Steve were the best duo in the league. They made Wizards games a joy to watch even when we were playing like a bunch of busted assh*****

Without Steve, if these guys aren't good, I think that might equal less games watched by me this year if we aren't competing :(
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#11 » by BigA » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:45 am

It reminds me of Dan Snyder firing multiple marketing staffs because fans don't come to FedEx Field anymore, when Snyder is the one who's done everything possible to alienate the fans and create a terrible experience at the games while mismanaging the team.

Over the last few years the Wizards have been disappointing and frustrating to watch even at their best. It's understandable that the ratings are down. Ted has the right to have the people he wants broadcasting the games, but treating faithful, long-time employees like crap in the process isn't a great look. This is who Ted is, though.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#12 » by FAH1223 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 8:40 pm

queridiculo
RealGM

Post#13 » by queridiculo » Tue Oct 8, 2019 9:17 pm

I am a skeptic, and there was nothing I heard last night that swayed me.

Let's see how things turn out when Butler joins the team.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#14 » by montestewart » Tue Oct 8, 2019 10:00 pm

queridiculo wrote:I am a skeptic, and there was nothing I heard last night that swayed me.

Let's see how things turn out when Butler joins the team.

1st game not too strong, but not really a backbreaker either.

I was used to Phil and Buck and I liked them and their quaintness, and they helped me through many lame Wizards games and seasons. I'm not going to wish failure on their replacements, but if they're not working out, I hope the team quickly moves on until they find the right group to stick with. At some point Beal, Brown, Bryant, Hachimura, etc. might be really good, and the Wizards should have a commensurately polished presentation framing the games.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#15 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:54 am

I can live with Kutcher. He’s bland as can be, but he’s at least competent and somewhat professional.

Drew however. I like him enough, but there’s only so much I can listen to my crazy old uncle.
In Rizzo we trust
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#16 » by montestewart » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:11 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:I can live with Kutcher. He’s bland as can be, but he’s at least competent and somewhat professional.

Drew however. I like him enough, but there’s only so much I can listen to my crazy old uncle.

He seems to have a Bill Walton style of launching into long, meandering, and eventually not that relevant points.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#17 » by BigA » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:56 pm

montestewart wrote:
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:I can live with Kutcher. He’s bland as can be, but he’s at least competent and somewhat professional.

He seems to have a Bill Walton style of launching into long, meandering, and eventually not that relevant points.

Maybe that will help take our minds off the actual game.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#18 » by payitforward » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:52 pm

The guy I was sure would go into broadcasting & be great at it was Martell Webster. He's bright & articulate, & he had enough of a tenure here that he'd be a great fit. I wonder what he's doing these days.

It was embarrassing, I thought, that it took Kutcher/Gooden until the 2d half of the Long Lions game to identify Andrew Nicholson as an ex-Wizard. They were clued in at half time obviously.

I don't remember either of them making even one particularly good point in either of the 2 games so far.

Edit: in fairness, I don't think that was much of a strength of Buckhantz or Chenier either. I remember Buckhantz referring to Troy Brown as the "prized rookie" one time last year: as if, wow, a rookie -- what a special, once in a while thing!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#19 » by FAH1223 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:36 am

montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#20 » by montestewart » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:01 pm

payitforward wrote:The guy I was sure would go into broadcasting & be great at it was Martell Webster. He's bright & articulate, & he had enough of a tenure here that he'd be a great fit. I wonder what he's doing these days.

It was embarrassing, I thought, that it took Kutcher/Gooden until the 2d half of the Long Lions game to identify Andrew Nicholson as an ex-Wizard. They were clued in at half time obviously.

I don't remember either of them making even one particularly good point in either of the 2 games so far.

Edit: in fairness, I don't think that was much of a strength of Buckhantz or Chenier either. I remember Buckhantz referring to Troy Brown as the "prized rookie" one time last year: as if, wow, a rookie -- what a special, once in a while thing!

Agree about Webster, as did others at the time (even Hands I think was on that train). I thought Antonio Daniels would go into coaching or broadcasting too, and now he's the color guy for the Thunder. Brendan Haywood too, but he may have set his career back with some impolitic comments.

As to what Webster is doing now, he is a music producer, not too NBA focused, judging by his twitter account.

No matter the W-L record, the Bullets/Wizards have had some thoughtful voices through the years. Chenier, Tom McMillen, Mitchell (ButlerCam) Butler, Etan Thomas come to mind. Even Manute Bol, already thoughtful, became a pretty articulate speaker of English.

Return to Washington Wizards