ImageImageImageImageImage

Rui Hachimura

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,353

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#1681 » by doclinkin » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:06 pm

nate33 wrote:I'm starting to get cautiously optimistic that Rui may have turned the corner and become a consistent, reliable starter. In his last 7 games, Rui has posted:

29 points, 11 rebounds
22 points, 7 rebounds
17 points, 9 rebounds
12 points, 7 rebounds
20 points, 10 rebounds
11 points, 7 rebounds
21 points, 9 rebounds

And he did it with a TS of .616, just 1.6 turnovers and 2.3 fouls. And as WalltoWall points out, Westbrook steals a couple of rebounds from him every game. Also, he is arguably the best defender on the roster. He is unquestionably the best one-on-one defender.

During those last 7 games, the team has been outscored by 37 points, but they have been breakeven with Rui on the floor. So basically, they've matched toe-to-toe with the opposition during the 267 minutes that he was on the court, and they got blasted by 37 points during the 69 minutes that he sat.

Last night against the Knicks, Rui was 0-3 with just 1 rebound after 9 minutes of play in the 1st quarter. But Rui is extremely even-keeled and just kept plugging away. Over the rest of the night, he went 9-13 including 2-4 from 3 and finished with 21 and 9.

He still has plenty of room for improvement as an individual offensive player, but he is finally doing the basics right. He is defending with consistency, making fewer mistakes. He is rebounding. He is taking the open 3's when they are available. And he is running the floor. He may be hot or cold on his midrange in the half court set, and he definitely needs to figure out how to draw fouls, but as long as he gets the basics right, he will always help the team.

Keep it up Rui!

I would say this is remarkable production for a 2nd year player. And even more remarkable considering the shot distribution on this team. His progress is a bright spot in a really tough year. His defensive assertiveness and effect are the revelation that has me buying in on his future. It's fun to watch him go after opposing scorers on defense and watch them try it then choose to pass instead.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,309

Post#1682 » by NatP4 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:08 pm

18&8 on 61.6% TS over the last 7. I would pump the brakes on calling him “unquestionably the best defender on the roster” but his defense will continue to improve.

His improvement has been a real bright spot in this brutal stretch.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#1683 » by nate33 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:10 pm

doclinkin wrote:It's fun to watch him go after opposing scorers on defense and watch them try it then choose to pass instead.

Yeah, Randle did that about 5 times in the second half. He squared up with Rui and tried to zig zag his way toward the rim, only to give up and kick it out to the guard at the top of the key. Randle got nothing on Rui all night except for a couple of extremely contested fadeaway jumpers.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1684 » by nate33 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:12 pm

NatP4 wrote:18&8 on 61.6% TS over the last 7. I would pump the brakes on calling him “unquestionably the best defender on the roster” but his defense will continue to improve.

I said "arguably" the best defender on the roster. He is unquestionably the best one-on-one defender. Bonga is the only other guy even close, but Bonga can't play defense without fouling.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,309

Post#1685 » by NatP4 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:14 pm

nate33 wrote:
NatP4 wrote:18&8 on 61.6% TS over the last 7. I would pump the brakes on calling him “unquestionably the best defender on the roster” but his defense will continue to improve.

I said "arguably" the best defender on the roster. He is unquestionably the best one-on-one defender. Bonga is the only other guy even close, but Bonga can't play defense without fouling.

I think that’s a stretch. His defensive metrics are still horrible. Eye test is not everything. Markieff Morris was a good 1 on 1 defender according to the eye test.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1686 » by nate33 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:22 pm

NatP4 wrote:
nate33 wrote:

I think that’s a stretch. His defensive metrics are still horrible. Eye test is not everything. Markieff Morris was a good 1 on 1 defender according to the eye test.

Defensive metrics are really bad at characterizing defense except with centers. They just don't capture the effects of teammates, scheme, and quality of the individual opponent being defended. The also rely on adjusted plus/minus differentials that take a year of two of data to tease out the "noise". Accordingly, they are very slow to capture recent improvement. Rui's dRPM, for example, is still being weighed down from his poor defense during the first half of last season when he was a clueless rookie.

I'd be willing to bet that a defensive box score analysis, like what Kevin Broom was doing a while back, would show that Hachimura is very successful as a defender this season when he is the primary defender in a play.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,993

Post#1687 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:22 pm

doclinkin wrote:
nate33 wrote:I'm starting to get cautiously optimistic that Rui may have turned the corner and become a consistent, reliable starter. In his last 7 games, Rui has posted:

29 points, 11 rebounds
22 points, 7 rebounds
17 points, 9 rebounds
12 points, 7 rebounds
20 points, 10 rebounds
11 points, 7 rebounds
21 points, 9 rebounds

And he did it with a TS of .616, just 1.6 turnovers and 2.3 fouls. And as WalltoWall points out, Westbrook steals a couple of rebounds from him every game. Also, he is arguably the best defender on the roster. He is unquestionably the best one-on-one defender.

During those last 7 games, the team has been outscored by 37 points, but they have been breakeven with Rui on the floor. So basically, they've matched toe-to-toe with the opposition during the 267 minutes that he was on the court, and they got blasted by 37 points during the 69 minutes that he sat.

Last night against the Knicks, Rui was 0-3 with just 1 rebound after 9 minutes of play in the 1st quarter. But Rui is extremely even-keeled and just kept plugging away. Over the rest of the night, he went 9-13 including 2-4 from 3 and finished with 21 and 9.

He still has plenty of room for improvement as an individual offensive player, but he is finally doing the basics right. He is defending with consistency, making fewer mistakes. He is rebounding. He is taking the open 3's when they are available. And he is running the floor. He may be hot or cold on his midrange in the half court set, and he definitely needs to figure out how to draw fouls, but as long as he gets the basics right, he will always help the team.

Keep it up Rui!

I would say this is remarkable production for a 2nd year player. And even more remarkable considering the shot distribution on this team. His progress is a bright spot in a really tough year. His defensive assertiveness and effect are the revelation that has me buying in on his future. It's fun to watch him go after opposing scorers on defense and watch them try it then choose to pass instead.

:clap:

That needed to be emphasized. With the shot jackers that the Wizards have at guard they probably take 5 to 7 shots away from what young fellow.

Right now that’s not a bad thing in my opinion. We need to lose games. The more any fission the better

(The More inefficient ...)

The iPhone translator Hass to be Japanese!!!!

Cracks me up. :-)
Bye bye Beal.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,971

Post#1688 » by DCZards » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:13 pm

doclinkin wrote:I would say this is remarkable production for a 2nd year player. And even more remarkable considering the shot distribution on this team. His progress is a bright spot in a really tough year. His defensive assertiveness and effect are the revelation that has me buying in on his future. It's fun to watch him go after opposing scorers on defense and watch them try it then choose to pass instead.

Rui’s great defense has indeed been a major surprise. It began to improve toward the end of last season and it’s carried into this season. It's gotten to the point where Rui is now going toe to toe with some of the NBA's best offensive players.

It’s encouraging to see Rui matching that excellent D with consistent play on offense and as a rebounder. Here’s hoping that he keeps it up.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#1689 » by WallToWall » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:49 pm

DCZards wrote:
doclinkin wrote:I would say this is remarkable production for a 2nd year player. And even more remarkable considering the shot distribution on this team. His progress is a bright spot in a really tough year. His defensive assertiveness and effect are the revelation that has me buying in on his future. It's fun to watch him go after opposing scorers on defense and watch them try it then choose to pass instead.

Rui’s great defense has indeed been a major surprise. It began to improve toward the end of last season and it’s carried into this season. It's gotten to the point where Rui is now going toe to toe with some of the NBA's best offensive players.

It’s encouraging to see Rui matching that excellent D with consistent play on offense and as a rebounder. Here’s hoping that he keeps it up.
How does one measure defensive effectiveness?
Is there some stats thats kept on
1. tipped passes
2. Holding an opponent/player without a shot
3. Stopping penetration

Where can I find this info? Help me out here...
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,971

Post#1690 » by DCZards » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:55 pm

WallToWall wrote:
DCZards wrote:

1. tipped passes
3. Stopping penetration

Some of it is the eye test. All of the things you mention (numbers 1-3) are things that can be seen...and all are part of playing good D.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1691 » by nate33 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:09 pm

WallToWall wrote:
DCZards wrote:

1. tipped passes
3. Stopping penetration

There is no universal measurement of effective defense. It depends on the scheme you are running, as well as luck to some degree. You can play good defense and guys can just make difficult shots.

Most NBA teams have guys who track this stuff using defensive box scores. They will track whether the defender forced the offensive player into a bad shot, or forced him into help defense, etc. Or maybe, when a player scores, they will assign partial responsibility to one or more players. Maybe the on-ball defender did exactly what he is supposed to do, but the help defender failed, or vice versa.

Here's a tweet about the subject from Bryan Oringher

Read on Twitter
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#1692 » by WallToWall » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:35 pm

Herein lies the problem. As DCzards and Nate have stated, it is hard to empirically guage defensive effectiveness. My eye test says that Rui is playing good man D, but I don't know of a way to show that through numbers. If there is a way, someone teach me.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#1693 » by payitforward » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:02 am

29 points, 11 rebounds
22 points, 7 rebounds
17 points, 9 rebounds
12 points, 7 rebounds
20 points, 10 rebounds
11 points, 7 rebounds
21 points, 9 rebounds

Keep it up Rui!

Yes, this has been the best stretch of games of his career, including what are probably the 2 very best games of his career overall -- the Brooklyn game & the first of the pair of games vs. Milwaukee.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1694 » by payitforward » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:24 am

doclinkin wrote:

29 points, 11 rebounds
22 points, 7 rebounds
17 points, 9 rebounds
12 points, 7 rebounds
20 points, 10 rebounds
11 points, 7 rebounds
21 points, 9 rebounds

Keep it up Rui!

"Remarkable production?" No. Remarkable improvement -- yes! & that's what matters.

"...for a 2d year player" -- well over this 7-game stretch, Rui has been very good, but not even in this stretch has he been as productive as DeAndre Hunter has been -- on the entire season!

Over these 7 games, Rui has been about as good as Precious Achiuwa has been overall in his rookie season.

Don't take this the wrong way -- that is very good production on Rui's part & very good news for the team.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1695 » by payitforward » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:31 am

Defense -- there simply is no way to accurately carve out the effect of an individual's defense, so as to "grade it" in some objective way overall. Not with any quantitative precision at least.

There's plenty to look at & assess, but when the comparisons come in, one player to another, it's not like say shooting, where you have no trouble knowing who is a better free throw shooter & exactly how much better.

In any case, what really matters is improvement -- & that you can clearly see in Rui's defense!
RealGM

Post#1696 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:06 pm

payitforward wrote:
doclinkin wrote:

29 points, 11 rebounds
22 points, 7 rebounds
17 points, 9 rebounds
12 points, 7 rebounds
20 points, 10 rebounds
11 points, 7 rebounds
21 points, 9 rebounds

Keep it up Rui!

"Remarkable production?" No. Remarkable improvement -- yes! & that's what matters.

"...for a 2d year player" -- well over this 7-game stretch, Rui has been very good, but not even in this stretch has he been as productive as DeAndre Hunter has been -- on the entire season!

Over these 7 games, Rui has been about as good as Precious Achiuwa has been overall in his rookie season

Don't take this the wrong way -- that is very good production on Rui's part & very good news for the team.

Agreed.

As I was reading PIF I was thinking people don’t need to get their panties wet about this guy. Just shows I need to get my mind about the gutter (and that’s really weird analogy )...

Some guys coming to the league doing what Hachimura is currently doing. Go back to both of those Memphis games and look at the box score. Look at the plus minus and the rebounds against commensurate talent particularly one guy named Clarke.

I am glad that Ruby Hachimura is turning into a better than serviceable player. He is exactly what I thought he would be when he was drafted. A cross between anti-Jamison and Kharon Butler. I thought he would be a lot like Harris of the Philadelphia 76ers. What surprises me a bit is that he is able to be a better rebounder than he’s shown so far. Had shown previously.

I don’t know what he is doing to increase his rebound totals but whatever it is it is working. That is a great thing but it’s kind of mystifying to me as to how passive he was in that area a rebound me before. Hey Payton forward you told me to leave the typos in :-)

This really is fun LMAO
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1697 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:08 pm

21 fool no to Wong foo. That is the name of my translator it’s me good English no it speak good English yes USA a America
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1698 » by nate33 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:18 pm

payitforward wrote:Over these 7 games, Rui has been about as good as Precious Achiuwa has been overall in his rookie season.

Hachimura over the last 8 games has easily been better than Achiuwa.

Achiuwa is a low usage garbage man who does nothing but rim run, averaging 15 points and 10 boards per 36, and he does it against the opposition's backup players for 13 minutes a night. And despite that, his TS% is just .565 and he turns the ball over 3.1 times per 36 minutes. His on/off differential is -8.7.

Hachimura is averaging 18 and 8 with a TS% north of 61% as a 3rd option scorer against the opposition's starters for 37 minutes a night and he doesn't turn the ball over. His on/off over that stretch is about +8.0,
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1699 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:37 am

Fwiw, many Bucks fans are convinced Rui will be a star. viewtopic.php?p=89883348#p89883348
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#1700 » by prime1time » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:27 pm

Ruzious wrote:Fwiw, many Bucks fans are convinced Rui will be a star. viewtopic.php?p=89883348#p89883348

This is why some teams win and some teams lose. While your debating if Rui's a good player, other teams see his potential and pounce. The dude has all the skills to be a great player.

Return to Washington Wizards