ImageImageImageImageImage

Rui Hachimura

Moderators: montestewart, nate33, LyricalRico

Jaekast
Sophomore
Posts: 141
And1: 51
Joined: Jun 26, 2015
         

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#301 » by Jaekast » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:33 am

You'll know when the black community truly embraces Rui when they start wearing kimonos to home games.
JWizmentality
RealGM
Posts: 13,397
And1: 4,442
Joined: Nov 21, 2004
Location: Cosmic Totality
   

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#302 » by JWizmentality » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:02 pm

Jaekast wrote:You'll know when the black community truly embraces Rui when they start wearing kimonos to home games.


What an odd statement to make.
User avatar
Mojo Amok
Pro Prospect
Posts: 756
And1: 632
Joined: Jan 28, 2017
 

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#303 » by Mojo Amok » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:29 pm

I hope we don't try and play Rui at the 3 - I'm seeing at least a few depth charts across the interwebs plugging him in as the starting small forward with Bertans at the 4. I Just don't see it.

I quite like him attacking wings inside on switches, but everything I've seen from body type to skill-set says that he's a natural power forward after he bulks up a little. His face-up game will work a lot better against slower footed defenders and I just don't see him chasing true wings around outside without it being an exploitable liability. He's much better defensively when guys try and overpower him.

Draymond Green The Sage: "But the 3 spot almost had me out of the league. The next year I played more 4, which I felt like obviously was my natural position. It was a lot better for me."


https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/253605/Draymond-Green-Playing-Small-Forward-As-A-Rooke-Almost-Had-Me-Out-Of-NBA
User avatar
tontoz
RealGM
Posts: 16,679
And1: 2,297
Joined: Apr 11, 2005

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#304 » by tontoz » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:35 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:Was there anyone who expected this guy to be hitting pull-up 3s?




i think i can speak for everyone here.......No. I am a little surprised to see him even attempt one.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
User avatar
Illmatic12
General Manager
Posts: 9,586
And1: 7,971
Joined: Dec 20, 2013
 

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#305 » by Illmatic12 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:15 pm

tontoz wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:Was there anyone who expected this guy to be hitting pull-up 3s?




i think i can speak for everyone here.......No. I am a little surprised to see him even attempt one.

Honestly we should have seen this coming but I didn't know a ton about his backstory before the draft.
Gonzaga's coaching staff pigeon-holed Hachimura as a post player but he clearly grew up playing on the perimeter.

His true archetype is a Kawhi x Melo powerful wing player. If he had played this way in NCAA he'd have gone top 5 in the draft




Now it's just a matter of giving him the freedom to bring out those skills within the spacing and system of the NBA game. It might take him a while to adjust (and for his coaches&teammates to understand what he can do) so I don't expect immediate translation to the league but he can get there.

He's kinda like Otto in that he doesn't quite have the pure quickness needed to play SF, but the difference is that he has so much brute physicality and strength, he can comfortably play the 4/5 and still be in his element.
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,967
And1: 444
Joined: Dec 08, 2011
Location: Formerly known as GilArenas88

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#306 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:47 pm

Watching his video, I think this is going to be a home run pick even if he doesn't reach the KW/GA comparisons. Maybe it's out time to get lucky.
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 54,281
And1: 8,465
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#307 » by nate33 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:49 pm

Bryan Oringher loves Hachimura's defense. Here's a short video showing some of the thing Rui does well:

Read on Twitter
prime1time
Rookie
Posts: 1,120
And1: 636
Joined: Nov 02, 2016
         

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#308 » by prime1time » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:13 pm

nate33 wrote:Bryan Oringher loves Hachimura's defense. Here's a short video showing some of the thing Rui does well:

Read on Twitter

When he throws out Giannis comparisons, he loses credibility. They play nothing alike. Even the Siakam comparison makes no sense. I feel like he's just throwing out those names because those are just the "it" players to talk about.
User avatar
Illmatic12
General Manager
Posts: 9,586
And1: 7,971
Joined: Dec 20, 2013
 

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#309 » by Illmatic12 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:21 pm

prime1time wrote:
nate33 wrote:Bryan Oringher loves Hachimura's defense. Here's a short video showing some of the thing Rui does well:

Read on Twitter

When he throws out Giannis comparisons, he loses credibility. They play nothing alike. Even the Siakam comparison makes no sense. I feel like he's just throwing out those names because those are just the "it" players to talk about.

He’s trying to get clicks like anyone else on social media. He did a video of Tyler Herro and put Luka Doncic in the headline which is obviously a reach.

But the actual analysis is sound if you look past the clickbait titles.
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 54,281
And1: 8,465
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#310 » by nate33 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:33 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
prime1time wrote:When he throws out Giannis comparisons, he loses credibility. They play nothing alike. Even the Siakam comparison makes no sense. I feel like he's just throwing out those names because those are just the "it" players to talk about.

He’s trying to get clicks like anyone else on social media. He did a video of Tyler Herro and put Luka Doncic in the headline which is obviously a reach.

But the actual analysis is sound if you look past the clickbait titles.

I actually thought the Siakam comparison made some sense. He is agile and long-armed like Siakam, and likes to spin and slash his way toward the cup. And like Siakam, his 3-point shot is a little suspect but not necessarily broken.
prime1time
Rookie
Posts: 1,120
And1: 636
Joined: Nov 02, 2016
         

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#311 » by prime1time » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:21 am

nate33 wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:
prime1time wrote:When he throws out Giannis comparisons, he loses credibility. They play nothing alike. Even the Siakam comparison makes no sense. I feel like he's just throwing out those names because those are just the "it" players to talk about.

He’s trying to get clicks like anyone else on social media. He did a video of Tyler Herro and put Luka Doncic in the headline which is obviously a reach.

But the actual analysis is sound if you look past the clickbait titles.

I actually thought the Siakam comparison made some sense. He is agile and long-armed like Siakam, and likes to spin and slash his way toward the cup. And like Siakam, his 3-point shot is a little suspect but not necessarily broken.

It makes sense in a vacuum. Look at Rui's college stuff. The dude is an elite mid-range scorer. Pull-ups, stepbacks, in-and-out dribbles, one and two dribble pull-ups and fadeaways. One of the worst mistakes we could make is try to Rui into a layup, 3-point guy. Another big difference between Rui and Pascal is Rui's strength and size. Rui uses his weight to get separation for his jumper. Pascal's offensive game is raw even now. Rui's closer to Paul Pierce and Melo than Siakam.


Step back at 28 seconds, pump fake, jabstep a couple dribbles into the pull-up at 40 seconds, jab-step into a jumper 1:29, midrange jumper 1:39, 1:54 - crossover into a pull-up midrange jumper. And this is only the first two minutes. Siakam has no middle game at all. Either he shoots open 3's off of defenses helping off or he's attacking the hoop. Rui's offensive game at 21, is light years ahead of of Siakam at 25.

This was Siakam's 44 point night vs. the Wiz. Not one mid-range jumper the entire game. Why is this important? Well, it's important because Siakam will never be a lead scorer. Because lead scorers need to have the offensive skill to score when the defense is locked in. 3-pointers and layups sound good. But in the playoffs when defenses lock in, you need to have at least one player on your team that can go up against tough man-to-man defense and get off an efficient shot. The level of skill in Rui's offensive game is closer to Paul Pierce IMO.

This is closer to Rui if you ask me. Against bad defensive teams it won't matter. Against good defensive teams, however, the difference will become apparent. Rui will be able to get his mid-range shots off against any defender with his high release. The three-point shooting will make him an offensive juggernaut.
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 12,250
And1: 3,829
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#312 » by payitforward » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:45 am

Wow...!!

This is some super-fantasy positivity stuff here. Be great if it all came true. But, I think I might refrain from the "maybe not Giannis but more like Paul Pierce" stuff until Rui demonstrates that he can play in the NBA. At all. Period.

Not doubting it, btw, but... come on. Did he win MVP of SL like... oh what was his name again, that MVP?

"Offensive juggernaut..." :) It's Summer League, guys!
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
prime1time
Rookie
Posts: 1,120
And1: 636
Joined: Nov 02, 2016
         

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#313 » by prime1time » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:11 am

payitforward wrote:Wow...!!

This is some super-fantasy positivity stuff here. Be great if it all came true. But, I think I might refrain from the "maybe not Giannis but more like Paul Pierce" stuff until Rui demonstrates that he can play in the NBA. At all. Period.

Not doubting it, btw, but... come on. Did he win MVP of SL like... oh what was his name again, that MVP?

"Offensive juggernaut..." :) It's Summer League, guys!

Haha, talking about his skillset. Success is another thing. And what's the point of waiting to see if he can play in the NBA? I'm a fan. When we draft a player I analyze his current abilities and project into the future. And to be honest, the Paul Pierce comparison doesn't fully capture Rui's offensive ability, because Rui can be the screen man and get easy points simply rolling to the hoop like any non-skilled big man.

As far as I'm concerned as an NBA fan either your team is good in the present or you're looking forward to the future with hope. The Wizards are not good in the present so I'm looking forward to the future. Might Rui come up short? Of course. But part of the fun of drafting a young player is that he's a blank canvas. Also, I would point out that Chauncey Billups is the one who compared him to Kawhi Leonard. So me throwing out Paul Pierce is not that out there.

Lastly, I believe what I write. If it makes you happier, how about instead of using player names I say, Rui projects as a highly skilled offensive player that can combine the scoring of both big Men and wing players, while also potentially having the ability to guard non-skilled Big Men. These three things combined with improved 3-point shooting, improved ball-handling and an ability to provide sufficient defense has the potential to make Rui the best Wizard player drafted in my lifetime.
prime1time
Rookie
Posts: 1,120
And1: 636
Joined: Nov 02, 2016
         

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#314 » by prime1time » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:12 am

prime1time wrote:
payitforward wrote:Wow...!!

This is some super-fantasy positivity stuff here. Be great if it all came true. But, I think I might refrain from the "maybe not Giannis but more like Paul Pierce" stuff until Rui demonstrates that he can play in the NBA. At all. Period.

Not doubting it, btw, but... come on. Did he win MVP of SL like... oh what was his name again, that MVP?

"Offensive juggernaut..." :) It's Summer League, guys!

Haha, talking about his skillset. Success is another thing. And what's the point of waiting to see if he can play in the NBA? I'm a fan. When we draft a player I analyze his current abilities and project into the future. And to be honest, the Paul Pierce comparison doesn't fully capture Rui's offensive ability, because Rui can be the screen man and get easy points simply rolling to the hoop like any non-skilled big man.

As far as I'm concerned as an NBA fan either your team is good in the present or you're looking forward to the future with hope. The Wizards are not good in the present so I'm looking forward to the future. Might Rui come up short? Of course. But part of the fun of drafting a young player is that he's a blank canvas. Also, I would point out that Chauncey Billups is the one who compared him to Kawhi Leonard. So me throwing out Paul Pierce is not that out there.

Lastly, I believe what I write. If it makes you happier, how about instead of using player names I say, Rui projects as a highly skilled offensive player that can combine the scoring of both big Men and wing players, while also potentially having the ability to guard non-skilled Big Men. These three things combined with improved 3-point shooting, improved ball-handling and an ability to provide sufficient defense has the potential to make Rui the best Wizard player drafted in my lifetime.

Also, no need to worry. Nothing ever gets deleted off the internet. So if Rui ends up being a bust my shame will live forever.
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 54,281
And1: 8,465
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#315 » by nate33 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:24 am

prime1time wrote:
nate33 wrote:I actually thought the Siakam comparison made some sense. He is agile and long-armed like Siakam, and likes to spin and slash his way toward the cup. And like Siakam, his 3-point shot is a little suspect but not necessarily broken.

It makes sense in a vacuum. Look at Rui's college stuff. The dude is an elite mid-range scorer. Pull-ups, stepbacks, in-and-out dribbles, one and two dribble pull-ups and fadeaways. One of the worst mistakes we could make is try to Rui into a layup, 3-point guy. Another big difference between Rui and Pascal is Rui's strength and size. Rui uses his weight to get separation for his jumper. Pascal's offensive game is raw even now. Rui's closer to Paul Pierce and Melo than Siakam.

I was thinking more about defense.
jangles86
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,924
And1: 699
Joined: Jun 02, 2011
 

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#316 » by jangles86 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:20 am

I really like the Grant Hill comparison....Noones made it yet but when they do I’ll really like it.
User avatar
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,598
And1: 793
Joined: Dec 08, 2009

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#317 » by dangermouse » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:22 am

I hated the Rui pick on draft day, but this SL play has me thinking I was dead wrong.

I know its just SL but his offense looks elite, his defense looks pretty good too. For someone late to basketball his court awareness is pretty good too. A few mistakes trying to force the issue etc. but that will come with time. He recognises when he is doubled/triple teamed and passes out. Thats good for someone new to the game...

Sneaky athlete like Otto. Who he will be better than.

I thought the Kawhi comparison was whack, but you know it isnt far off. He plays like Kawhi on offense. His defense has a ways to go yet but he is ahead of where I thought he was right now.

Very excited
Image
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract


Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
prime1time
Rookie
Posts: 1,120
And1: 636
Joined: Nov 02, 2016
         

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#318 » by prime1time » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:28 am

jangles86 wrote:I really like the Grant Hill comparison....Noones made it yet but when they do I’ll really like it.

I though about it, but Grant was a playmaker. He averaged 7.3 assists one season pre-injury.

Rui's not a naturally gifted passer/playmaker. And his ball handling right now is too limited to routinely pass it to open players seamlessly while he attacks. The most you can hope for passing wise is that as his ball handling improves he'll make the right decision So you are looking at a guy who at best might be around 4/5 assists per game.
prime1time
Rookie
Posts: 1,120
And1: 636
Joined: Nov 02, 2016
         

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#319 » by prime1time » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:49 am

dangermouse wrote:I hated the Rui pick on draft day, but this SL play has me thinking I was dead wrong.

I know its just SL but his offense looks elite, his defense looks pretty good too. For someone late to basketball his court awareness is pretty good too. A few mistakes trying to force the issue etc. but that will come with time. He recognises when he is doubled/triple teamed and passes out. Thats good for someone new to the game...

Sneaky athlete like Otto. Who he will be better than.

I thought the Kawhi comparison was whack, but you know it isnt far off. He plays like Kawhi on offense. His defense has a ways to go yet but he is ahead of where I thought he was right now.

Very excited

There are a lot of on court differences between Rui and Otto, but the biggest difference has nothing to do basketball and everything to do with mentality. Listening to Rui speak, he naturally has an air of confidence about him. Otto, on the other hand, was a guy who struggled to assert himself. I remember reading time and time again how the team would want Otto to shoot more, but it'll never happen. I don't think Rui will have that problem.
User avatar
SUPERBALLMAN
Starter
Posts: 2,306
And1: 168
Joined: Aug 08, 2006
     

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#320 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:08 am

jangles86 wrote:I really like the Grant Hill comparison....Noones made it yet but when they do I’ll really like it.




I don't see the Grant Hill. Trying to think of a good comp.... Maybe Juwan Howard ?

"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith

Return to Washington Wizards