ImageImageImageImageImage

Rui Hachimura

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,724

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#461 » by gambitx777 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:50 pm

Dude has such a good frame on him. I can see him adding a few pound of muscle, but dude already looks lean and jacked.hes not skinny but he looks like he's already lost the baby fat and he's well if n him way to a big boy NBA body. Zion best get eating this salads and running some hills or rui gonna take those ROY votes right out from under him.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#462 » by JWizmentality » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:27 am

payitforward wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:So when do I get to stroke my own tootsie roll about being the only one on this board that was right about Rui? :D

...when there's something to indicate you were right, I guess? Does that make sense? For example, lets see if he can play in the NBA... at all. Can you wait that long?

Don't get me wrong -- I hope you turn out to be a complete savant! The better Rui Hachimura is the happier I will be.

Also the "wronger" I will be, since I thought & still think standing pat at #9 & taking Rui was far far far from the best way to manage the 2019 draft. I hope I turn out to be totally wrong.

Still, until then, you bet, that's what we've had here: a lot of tootsie-roll stroking.

PIFFY my brother. When did ya take me off ignore. :D

Yes, I know it's far from certain what'll happen with Rui but we both hope the same thing. However, I must say I'm glad you've come around to my way of thinking. Back in the old days when we were slapping each other's bongos in the Draft thread, all I ever wanted was for you to acknowledge that at the end of the day this isn't a science and however successful a player becomes depends mostly on what's between the ears. So maybe you don't need to go DEFCON 1 on anyone that doesn't bow to the altar of Brandon Clarke cuz you know...he hasn't played in the NBA either. :D It's all good bro.

I promise, if Rui pans out, I'll never never never....mercilessly rub this in your face. :wink:
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,846

Post#463 » by payitforward » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:14 am

You won't need to rub it in my face! I'll be delighted to acknowledge it. & you are right to point out that whatever questions exist about Rui also exist about Clarke (& Keldon Johnson, Bitadze & the rest of 'em -- about Zion & Morant too for that matter).

But... that doesn't mean I've come around to your "way of thinking." In fact, far from thinking that the draft is "a science," I was asking for the opposite attitude -- since how good players turn out to be has really only a slight correlation with where (i.e. how high) they were picked (especially after the first 3 picks), I wanted (I always want) to trade down to get more picks, which puts chance on our side. Too late to worry about that.

Now, as you know, Rui didn't look anywhere near as good as Clarke in SL, not close, not in the same ballpark, not in the same time zone! For that matter, I'd be happy to put money on Clarke having a way better rookie year than Hachimura. But, that's to be expected. Clarke was also better than Hachimura at Gonzaga (it wasn't close there either).

Yet, it's not rookie year we should care about; it's the longer term. Rui is younger than Brandon, & he is newer to the game as well. We can hope that he'll have more future development in him than his Gonzaga teammate. One day, if things go really well, he might be as good as Clarke. Hey, maybe he will even become better than the guy. Though for that to happen he'll have to get a whole lot better, won't he?

Hope he does.

Then again, hope is not a strategy. Right? 8-)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#464 » by dangermouse » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:51 am

CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:One thing with the KL comparisons that seems understated is that he kind of looks like he’s plays in slow motion while other people are in frenzy. I don’t think cerebral is quiet the word as he’s got some jazz to his game, but he just looks under control even when he’s not. Am I the only one getting that vibe?

Kawhi on O is probably the best comparison that there is. His defense isnt bad but he has a ways to go before he even has two-way potential. He's so money from midrange, I think he is a mix of Kawhi/a shorter Lamarcus A. With defense that reminds me of maybe Otto the way he has a knack for passing lanes, plays clever and the same kind of sneaky athleticism. Like he plays in slow mo, and then just turns the turbos on to get a chasedown block.

Im more excited for his potential than I was with Otto, but I think he'll have that same kind of impact to our team (especially knowing Brooks). He'll go from looking amazing to looking pedestrian off the bench and won't crack the starter spot until late in the season, barring injuries to other guys. Honestly if that happens (injuries) or he miraculously gets the starter spot by mid way through the season, he could be all rookie first team with some votes for ROY.

Thinking back, I havent been as high on one of our guys since Beal.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,261

Post#465 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:52 pm

Read on Twitter
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,903

Post#466 » by DCZards » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:33 pm

The confidence, versatility and polish that Rui has shown thus far on the offensive end is very impressive. It obviously won’t be as easy when he plays against the big boys but the fundamental are there.

Rebounding and defense are where he’ll have to put in the most development work. As others have said, Rui already has a good-looking body…which is only going to get bigger and stronger.

I have no idea if there was a chance that the Zards could have traded the 9th pick for two picks later in the first round. But, even if there was an opportunity to trade down, Tommy and his team might have felt that keeping the 9th pick and taking what they might see as a potential all-star in Rui trumped getting two good or very good players later in the first round.

You can argue with that strategy but it’s clear that you need “stars” to win big in the NBA. And the Zards might have gotten one in Rui. Time will tell.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 18,999

Post#467 » by nate33 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:41 pm

DCZards wrote:I have no idea if there was a chance that the Zards could have traded the 9th pick for two picks later in the first round. But, even if there was an opportunity to trade down, Tommy and his team might have felt that keeping the 9th pick and taking what they might see as a potential all-star in Rui trumped getting two good or very good players later in the first round.

You can argue with that strategy but it’s clear that you need “stars” to win big in the NBA. And the Zards might have gotten one in Rui. Time will tell.

Agreed. I love Brandon Clarke, but if Rui pans out to be roughly equivalent to a Lamarcus Aldridge tier scorer at the PF position, than Brandon Clarke is going to have to pan out to be a Draymond Green tier role player in order to be more valuable. First option scorers are just harder to find that great role players.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#468 » by nate33 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:41 pm

I just realized that Hachimura played just 30 minutes to score those 31 points.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,322

Post#469 » by Kanyewest » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:45 pm

payitforward
RealGM

Post#470 » by payitforward » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:13 pm

nate33 wrote:
DCZards wrote:I have no idea if there was a chance that the Zards could have traded the 9th pick for two picks later in the first round. But, even if there was an opportunity to trade down, Tommy and his team might have felt that keeping the 9th pick and taking what they might see as a potential all-star in Rui trumped getting two good or very good players later in the first round.

Agreed. I love Brandon Clarke, but if Rui pans out to be roughly equivalent to a LaMarcus Aldridge tier scorer at the PF position, than Brandon Clarke is going to have to pan out to be a Draymond Green tier role player in order to be more valuable. First option scorers are just harder to find that great role players.

:) -- ok ok, it's fun to have a guy to dream about being a star. No reason not to do just that!

But, after all, lets remember that when we compare Rui to Brandon Clarke all we are doing is comparing one dream with another. Not to mention that when we compare this kid to LaMarcus Aldridge... come on, please, lets slow down the train! We aren't doing him any favors in that comparison: is he gonna be a failure if he doesn't become LaMarcus Aldridge?

As to the trade down... first off you don't even know we'd have been passing on Rui -- even if you think you do know that. Secondly, you don't know that you wouldn't get a better player via that deal -- a potential all star (maybe 2 -- hey, maybe 3 !!).

The only thing you can actually know is what has happened in the past. Using Pelton's chart as a guide I can find no case (none) where trading the #9 for 2-3 later picks wouldn't get you a better haul. You like Kemba Walker (2011)? Me too. But I like Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler & Isaiah Thomas even better. Of course, re-running that draft, you'd take Leonard not Walker @ #9, but that doesn't help the case.

In fact, it's rare -- year after year after year -- to find that the guy taken #9 is better than anyone taken later (often several guys are better, often they're taken a whole lot later!).

Obviously, this doesn't mean that Rui won't turn out to be the 9th best player in the 2019 draft -- or even better than that! He may. He could be the best player in the whole draft! Not likely -- but certainly not impossible.

Here's the thing, though: if he does, if in fact Rui Hachimura winds up to be the best player in the 2019 NBA draft, even that doesn't necessarily mean it was best to pick him rather than trade down. Suppose we'd gotten Brandon Clarke &... I don't know... say Grant Williams -- if each of those guys is almost as good as Rui, just a tiny tiny bit below him, then a trade down would still have been the better move.

Of course, that's just fantasy -- but that's my point: all this is just fantasy, including "Rui Hachimura is a potential all star."

That's cool. It's the off season, time for fantasy.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#471 » by Shoe » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:06 pm

Rui is so skilled. Impressive how many go-to moves he has to get his shot off.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,724

Post#472 » by gambitx777 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:28 pm

The jump did a story on Luka and how it wasn't just his fantastic skill that paints him as a star but his lack of the fear of failure . He's willing to go out there and get Killed to hit the game winner, he know he's going to miss but he's not going to give up because he has faith in him self. That's kind of what I'm seeing in Rui right now. If he comes in and isn't afraid to fail he could be something special to watch this year.

ruffian253
Junior
And1: 125

Post#473 » by ruffian253 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:25 am

payitforward wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Agreed. I love Brandon Clarke, but if Rui pans out to be roughly equivalent to a LaMarcus Aldridge tier scorer at the PF position, than Brandon Clarke is going to have to pan out to be a Draymond Green tier role player in order to be more valuable. First option scorers are just harder to find that great role players.

:) -- ok ok, it's fun to have a guy to dream about being a star. No reason not to do just that!

But, after all, lets remember that when we compare Rui to Brandon Clarke all we are doing is comparing one dream with another. Not to mention that when we compare this kid to LaMarcus Aldridge... come on, please, lets slow down the train! We aren't doing him any favors in that comparison: is he gonna be a failure if he doesn't become LaMarcus Aldridge?

As to the trade down... first off you don't even know we'd have been passing on Rui -- even if you think you do know that. Secondly, you don't know that you wouldn't get a better player via that deal -- a potential all star (maybe 2 -- hey, maybe 3 !!).

The only thing you can actually know is what has happened in the past. Using Pelton's chart as a guide I can find no case (none) where trading the #9 for 2-3 later picks wouldn't get you a better haul. You like Kemba Walker (2011)? Me too. But I like Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler & Isaiah Thomas even better. Of course, re-running that draft, you'd take Leonard not Walker @ #9, but that doesn't help the case.

In fact, it's rare -- year after year after year -- to find that the guy taken #9 is better than anyone taken later (often several guys are better, often they're taken a whole lot later!).

Obviously, this doesn't mean that Rui won't turn out to be the 9th best player in the 2019 draft -- or even better than that! He may. He could be the best player in the whole draft! Not likely -- but certainly not impossible.

Here's the thing, though: if he does, if in fact Rui Hachimura winds up to be the best player in the 2019 NBA draft, even that doesn't necessarily mean it was best to pick him rather than trade down. Suppose we'd gotten Brandon Clarke &... I don't know... say Grant Williams -- if each of those guys is almost as good as Rui, just a tiny tiny bit below him, then a trade down would still have been the better move.

Of course, that's just fantasy -- but that's my point: all this is just fantasy, including "Rui Hachimura is a potential all star."

This guys got some kind of man crush on Clarke. Im one of the biggest Zags fan out there, but BC was not Zags best player last year, although he was no doubt was the better defender and obviously had tremendous highlights, Ruis midrange game does not translate or come close to BCs dunks or blocks. I hope BC has a great career, but in comparing his potential and career arc, Rui has much more upside due to a polished and translatable offensive game that isnt based on athleticism. There was also mention about Grant Williams, really, seems like a good dude, but a 6'5 PF that was able to play bullyball in college will not be able to do that in the NBA, he'll be lucky to be on bostons regular season roster as opposed to there d-league team
payitforward
RealGM

Post#474 » by payitforward » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:10 pm

ruffian253 wrote:
payitforward wrote:
nate33 wrote:Agreed. I love Brandon Clarke, but if Rui pans out to be roughly equivalent to a LaMarcus Aldridge tier scorer at the PF position, than Brandon Clarke is going to have to pan out to be a Draymond Green tier role player in order to be more valuable. First option scorers are just harder to find that great role players.

This guys got some kind of man crush on Clarke. Im one of the biggest Zags fan out there, but BC was not Zags best player last year, although he was no doubt was the better defender and obviously had tremendous highlights, Ruis midrange game does not translate or come close to BCs dunks or blocks. I hope BC has a great career, but in comparing his potential and career arc, Rui has much more upside due to a polished and translatable offensive game that isnt based on athleticism. There was also mention about Grant Williams, really, seems like a good dude, but a 6'5 PF that was able to play bullyball in college will not be able to do that in the NBA, he'll be lucky to be on bostons regular season roster as opposed to there d-league team

I don't have a "man crush" on Clarke. He just put up the most mind-blowing numbers per 40 minutes last season that I have seen in the last 20 years -- except for Zion's which were slightly better than Clarke's. Do we know that will translate in the NBA? No, of course not! But, so far so good, wouldn't you say? I mean, given that he was the MVP of SL? (Rui played pretty well in SL, btw -- a good thing)

It's certainly true that, for the Zags, Rui scored 2 more points per 40 minutes than Clarke. I assume that's what you have in mind when you think of Rui as the better offensive player. Of course, it took him 2.5 more shots & 2 more FTAs to get those extra 2 points.

Still, you may be right that Rui has "more upside." Not for the reasons you note, but b/c he's significantly younger & started playing relatively late.

Then again, so what? After all, I wasn't comparing Rui Hachimura & Brandon Clarke as players. I was comparing two different strategies for managing the NBA draft. That's an unrelated subject. Using Pelton's pick-value chart, one could trade the #9 pick for the numbers 19, 29 & 49 picks (i.e. which SA had): that gets you Brandon Clarke, Keldon Johnson & Quinndary Weatherspoon. Lets see how those 3 guys do in the league vs. how Rui does. Ditto for the trade of #9 for #s 20 & 22 -- (Clarke & Williams or, making the trade they did, Clarke, Keldon Johnson & Carsen Edwards).

Simplest way to put it? I'm trying to think like a GM. Of course... I might be wrong, & you might be right! It's definitely possible -- hey, I hope that's the way it turns out! Or, rather, I hope Rui absolutely kills it! We're the same in that regard -- both thinking like fans!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#475 » by Ruzious » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:50 pm

Not that I'm concerned, but it seems that Rui hasn't played in Japan's last couple of games, and he's only made 2 of 7 3's in the 4 games he has played. Just something to monitor. http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/asian-qualifiers/team/Japan#|tab=overview,cumulated_statistics
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#476 » by nate33 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:11 pm

Ruzious wrote:Not that I'm concerned, but it seems that Rui hasn't played in Japan's last couple of games, and he's only made 2 of 7 3's in the 4 games he has played. Just something to monitor. http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/asian-qualifiers/team/Japan#|tab=overview,cumulated_statistics

I think that link is to old qualifier games from earlier this year. I see dates from February of 2019.

According to this article, Japan played 4 exhibition games in August against New Zealand, Argentina, Germany and Tunisia on August 12, 22, 24 and 25th respectively. The actual FIBA games start in September with Japan's first matchup being on September 1st against Turkey.

It appears that Hachimura did not play in that final exhibition game against Tunisia in order to rest.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#477 » by Ruzious » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:16 pm

nate33 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Not that I'm concerned, but it seems that Rui hasn't played in Japan's last couple of games, and he's only made 2 of 7 3's in the 4 games he has played. Just something to monitor. http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/asian-qualifiers/team/Japan#|tab=overview,cumulated_statistics

I think that link is to old qualifier games from earlier this year. I see dates from February of 2019.

According to this article, Japan played 4 exhibition games in August against New Zealand, Argentina, Germany and Tunisia on August 12, 22, 24 and 25th respectively. The actual FIBA games start in September with Japan's first matchup being on September 1st against Turkey.

It appears that Hachimura did not play in that final exhibition game against Tunisia in order to rest.

Right, I got the months confused - somehow not realizing February does not equal August. Thanks for the correction.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#478 » by Illmatic12 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:07 pm

Think this is what you’re looking for:

Read on Twitter
?s=21
oldshoolballer
Starter
And1: 2,569

Post#479 » by oldshoolballer » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:05 am

gambitx777 wrote:The jump did a story on Luka and how it wasn't just his fantastic skill that paints him as a star but his lack of the fear of failure . He's willing to go out there and get Killed to hit the game winner, he know he's going to miss but he's not going to give up because he has faith in him self. That's kind of what I'm seeing in Rui right now. If he comes in and isn't afraid to fail he could be something special to watch this year.

I also am seeing a leader in Rui.Wiz got something special here.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#480 » by dangermouse » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:16 pm

Surely Gilbert will be ok with Rui's new nickname, The Real Hibachi
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.

Return to Washington Wizards