ImageImageImageImageImage

Rui Hachimura

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Jaekast
Sophomore
And1: 55

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#901 » by Jaekast » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:02 am

Brandon Clarke is life, that's why I post about him on the Rui thread. What does drinking have to do with worshipping my lord and savior? Stay on point...we're in the Rui thread so let's focus on Clarke.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,558

Post#902 » by pcbothwel » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:59 pm

Feel better about this pick by the day... Rui rolls out of bed and scores 20. With his work ethic, the intricacies will come in time. But having a 2nd scorer really opens up the possibility for Wall/Brown to just play free and create.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 18,999

Post#903 » by nate33 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:58 pm

tontoz wrote:Over the last few years i haven't checked out NBA.com very often but wow their shot chart page is the bomb. Not only can you view the chart indifferent ways but you can also watch a clip of every shot the player has taken. Just scroll down.

https://stats.nba.com/events/?flag=3&CFID=33&CFPARAMS=2019-20&PlayerID=1629634&ContextMeasure=FGA&Season=2019-20&section=player&sct=hex

Man, that's incredible! You can use it to put together a highlight package for any player on any game. They're in chronological order. Here is Hachimura against Boston last night. Just skip to the 3rd page:

https://stats.nba.com/events/?flag=3&CFID=33&CFPARAMS=2019-20&PlayerID=1629060&ContextMeasure=FGA&Season=2019-20&section=player&sct=hex
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#904 » by nate33 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:28 pm

After a couple of nice games in a row, Rui's stats are looking pretty darn good for a rookie.

He is now averaging 14 points and 6 boards (19 and 8 per 36) with a TS% of .554 and an ORtg of 115.
Mojo Amok
Pro Prospect
And1: 834

Post#905 » by Mojo Amok » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:51 pm

Rui is also creating a load of looks for himself: he's assisted on only .537% of his 2-pt field goal attempts, which is a number more like an off-guard or a second option (it's functionally identical to Herro out of the rookies). It's a tentative balance as a lot of the best efficiency shots will be assisted, but you want to see shot creation capabilities if he's going to become the high-usage volume scorer that we desperately need as a foundational piece.

You can't really get quality guys with that profile on the open market - you need to develop them internally.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,811

Post#906 » by tontoz » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:58 pm

Some of those midrange shots off the dribble are pretty difficult shots because he doesn't have momentum going up. He will stutter step back and forth without really going anywhere, then pull up for the shot. Hard to get much lift doing that but it doesn't seem to bother his shot.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,846

Post#907 » by payitforward » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:26 pm

nate33 wrote:After a couple of nice games in a row, Rui's stats are looking pretty darn good for a rookie.

He is now averaging 14 points and 6 boards (19 and 8 per 36) with a TS% of .554 and an ORtg of 115.

Yup. Numbers good, trend good. & when you watch him, the eye test says "why should this kid not keep getting better & better? Can't see why he won't...."
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#908 » by Illmatic12 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:11 pm

I’m not sure if the 3pter will come this season , but the low-hanging fruit in his scoring efficiency is getting to the foul line. Brooks said it after the last game , it’s rare that a player as physical as him wouldn’t eventually figure out how to draw 5+ FTs per game

Boston has a lot of strong wing players who’ve been hitting NBA weight rooms for several years , it’s a great sign that Rui was able to go through those guys and draw physical contact.

Defenders are starting to pick up on his midrange tendencies , so now he can use the scouting report against them. Simply use that upfake ^ like he did to get them in the air and draw FTs. That’s all Demar Derozan has been doing for years and guys still fall for it every time (because he’s so widely known as a midrange threat)
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#909 » by Dat2U » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:29 am

Anyone else see alot of Tobias Harris in Rui? Like Rui in college, Tobias was money 15 and in and learned to expand his game.

I just worry about the defensive side. The little I've watched he looked lost.

If Rui/Bryant is our frontcourt of the future, they are both going to have to take major steps defensively.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 936

Post#910 » by WallToWall » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:50 am

I think Rui's defense can become average. Right now, its well below. I too would really like to see what Rui does when defenses take away his mid-range game. He certainly doesnt have a 3 pt shooting game yet, so I am hoping he learns to draw fouls and/or does a lot more driving to the basket and/or passes the ball. The next 10-15 games will be telling.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,558

Post#911 » by pcbothwel » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:45 pm

Dat2U wrote:Anyone else see alot of Tobias Harris in Rui? Like Rui in college, Tobias was money 15 and in and learned to expand his game.

If Rui/Bryant is our frontcourt of the future, they are both going to have to take major steps defensively.

Tobias is a great comp on the low end. He is a better athlete than Tobias which will allow him to be a better defender and convert more near the basket.
A SLIGHTLY better Tobias is a 2nd scorer on a contender in this league.

He will easily be Tobias... and if he can draw more fouls and hit 3's, hes Kawhi (Offensively)
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,827

Post#912 » by dckingsfan » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:53 pm

^^^^^^

The one thing in comparing Rui to Tobias is that Tobias a volume defensive rebounder and has always been a solid defender (don't mean to steal your point WallToWall).
oldshoolballer
Starter
And1: 2,568

Post#913 » by oldshoolballer » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:55 pm

My Top 10 So Far
1 Kendrick Nunn
2Ja Morant
3 RJ Barrett
4 Rui Hachimura
5 Tyler Herro
6PJ Washington
7 Eric Paschall
8 Coby White
9 Brandon Clarke
10 DeAndre Hunter
Still very early and players and situations change my potential busts are Darius Garland and Cam Reddish.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#914 » by Ruzious » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:02 pm

dckingsfan wrote:^^^^^^

The one thing in comparing Rui to Tobias is that Tobias a volume defensive rebounder and has always been a solid defender (don't mean to steal your point WallToWall).

One of the problems Toby (it's quicker calling him that - except if I explain it - oh well, too late) had in his first years at Milwaukee was that he put no effort into his D. But that was many years ago, and I don't know if that's changed. He was chubby and somewhat out of shape his first couple of years. To his credit, he got himself in much better shape. I think Dat's comp is a good one.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#915 » by nate33 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:13 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
Dat2U wrote:Anyone else see alot of Tobias Harris in Rui? Like Rui in college, Tobias was money 15 and in and learned to expand his game.

Tobias is a great comp on the low end. He is a better athlete than Tobias which will allow him to be a better defender and convert more near the basket.
A SLIGHTLY better Tobias is a 2nd scorer on a contender in this league.

He will easily be Tobias... and if he can draw more fouls and hit 3's, hes Kawhi (Offensively)

Here is how they compare at age 21. This is Harris' 3rd NBA season versus Rui's rookie year:

They're pretty close. Rui is a more efficient shooter with a much higher 2P% and fewer turnovers. Harris is the better rebounder and draws more FTA's. But when you consider that Harris had had 2 years to adapt the NBA versus Rui's 9 games, I'm inclined to think Rui will pan out better.

A real key will be Rui's FTA rate. He's had as many FTA's in his last 2 games as he did in his first 7. If that's the start of a new trend of getting to the line more, then the future bodes well.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,903

Post#916 » by DCZards » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:17 pm

Here’s the most recent rookie ladder on NBA.com:

1. Ja Morant
2. RJ Barrett
3. Rui Hachimura
4. Brandon Clarke
5. Kendrick Nunn

https://www.nba.com/article/2019/11/14/2019-20-kia-rookie-ladder-week-3?cid=EMA_NBA_daily&uniqueID=668783242

HACHIMURA: Hachimura fell out of the Top 5 last week after a few subpar games, but the rookie responded to get right back into the mix. Hachimura scored 21 points in both of his games this week, shooting 10-for-13 in a loss to the Cavs (hitting his first seven shots) and 9-for-12 in a loss in Boston. “He’s even-keeled,” Bradley Beal said of his teammate. “He doesn’t get too high or too low. I think even an outside person can figure that out about him. He’s very poised for a one-year guy. It’s amazing to see his growth.”

CLARKE: Clarke is flying under the radar a bit with Morant grabbing most of the rookie attention and Jaren Jackson Jr. drawing teams’ focus in the frontcourt. But Clarke has become more involved as the season has progressed, averaging 13.3 ppg and 6.7 rpg in three games this week. Overall this season, he's shooting 60.7% (42.9% on 3-pointers and 91.7% at the line) while leading all rookies in rebounding (6.5 rpg) and ranking second in blocks (1.3 bpg).
Mojo Amok
Pro Prospect

Post#917 » by Mojo Amok » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:06 pm

One distinguishing characteristic of Tobias in contrast with Rui is his advanced ball skills - While by no means a gifted passer or proper point forward, Harris has performed a lot of utility ball-handling duties for certain teams. He can bring it up the court, probe the defense and generally have possessions where he dribbles the ball 10-15 times, covers a lot of ground and either improvises or gets the team into sets. Though probably a power forward in the modern NBA, he can imitate a guard to a decent extent.

While nice bringing the ball up on the break off a defensive board, Rui doesn't seem likely to develop in that manner. He's probably a bit more focused as a scorer and more powerful than Tobias in muscling through guys, but he's doesn't really have any guard to his game. I'm suspecting Rui's most efficient possessions in the future will be 3-4 dribbles or less (not counting transition buckets).
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,260

Post#918 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:40 pm

Rui as the best offensive player and worst defensive player thus far in this rookie class?

Read on Twitter

Mojo Amok
Pro Prospect

Post#919 » by Mojo Amok » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:31 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Rui as the best offensive player and worst defensive player thus far in this rookie class?

I don't know, I'm a bit suspicious of the methodology on all this. It has Thomas Bryant as more or less 'not too bad' defensively while Mortiz Wagner is listed as the best defensive player in the NBA. :-?

I think there might be some noise on the Wizards numbers just based on our scheme, poor defensive point guards and so forth.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,811

Post#920 » by tontoz » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:34 pm

Small Sample Size Theater at work here. I would say rookies exaggerate the problems of a small sample size.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD

Return to Washington Wizards