ImageImageImageImageImage

Rui Hachimura

Moderators: nate33, LyricalRico, montestewart

User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 54,957
And1: 8,959
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#921 » by nate33 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:40 pm

Mojo Amok wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Rui as the best offensive player and worst defensive player thus far in this rookie class?


I don't know, I'm a bit suspicious of the methodology on all this. It has Thomas Bryant as more or less 'not too bad' defensively while Mortiz Wagner is listed as the best defensive player in the NBA. :-?

I think there might be some noise on the Wizards numbers just based on our scheme, poor defensive point guards and so forth.

Alternatively, Moritz Wagner IS the best defensive player in the NBA.


Image
User avatar
queridiculo
RealGM
Posts: 13,974
And1: 5,377
Joined: Mar 29, 2005
Location: Maximum Pain Zone
   

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#922 » by queridiculo » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:52 pm

Mojo Amok wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Rui as the best offensive player and worst defensive player thus far in this rookie class?


I don't know, I'm a bit suspicious of the methodology on all this. It has Thomas Bryant as more or less 'not too bad' defensively while Mortiz Wagner is listed as the best defensive player in the NBA. :-?

I think there might be some noise on the Wizards numbers just based on our scheme, poor defensive point guards and so forth.


I'd like to see those numbers adjusted for "who has to share the least amount of minutes on the floor with Isaiah Thomas".
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 12,681
And1: 3,938
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#923 » by payitforward » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:44 pm

Dat2U wrote:Anyone else see alot of Tobias Harris in Rui? Like Rui in college, Tobias was money 15 and in and learned to expand his game.

I just worry about the defensive side. The little I've watched he looked lost.

If Rui/Bryant is our frontcourt of the future, they are both going to have to take major steps defensively.

I've said this before, but I hope he's better than Tobias Harris. I loved Tobias out of college -- was furious we took Chris Singleton instead of him (or Faried or even Jimmy Butler). But, he didn't become the player I hoped he would, & he's not nearly as good as people think. 2015-16 was his only really good season.
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 12,681
And1: 3,938
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#924 » by payitforward » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:53 pm

Ruzious wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:^^^^^^

The one thing in comparing Rui to Tobias is that Tobias a volume defensive rebounder and has always been a solid defender (don't mean to steal your point WallToWall).

One of the problems Toby (it's quicker calling him that - except if I explain it - oh well, too late) had in his first years at Milwaukee was that he put no effort into his D. But that was many years ago, and I don't know if that's changed. He was chubby and somewhat out of shape his first couple of years. To his credit, he got himself in much better shape. I think Dat's comp is a good one.

Overall, Rui's per-100-possessions are already meaningfully better as a rookie than Tobias in his 3d year.

Keep in mind that 1) Tobias wasn't very good his 3d year, & 2) this is a small sample size for Rui, so the numbers themselves don't predict much.

Overall, I anticipate Rui being better than Tobias by a fair amount.
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 12,681
And1: 3,938
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#925 » by payitforward » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:12 pm

oldshoolballer wrote:My Top 10 So Far
1 Kendrick Nunn
2Ja Morant
3 RJ Barrett
4 Rui Hachimura
5 Tyler Herro
6PJ Washington
7 Eric Paschall
8 Coby White
9 Brandon Clarke
10 DeAndre Hunter
Still very early and players and situations change my potential busts are Darius Garland and Cam Reddish.

Early for sure, but this list seems virtually arbitrary. Nunn started strong but has fallen way back. Barrett isn't playing well at all. White is even worse. Paschall is way too far down the list. Where's Terance Davis, who's killing it? Where's Cody Martin, who's also killing it? Both Clarke & Marko Guduric are playing a hell of a lot better for Memphis than Morant is so far. P.J. Washington should be much higher on your list. &, of course, that's a homer rating for Rui.

For guys who've played over 100 minutes, raw productivity, independent of position, the list should be Clarke, Bitadze, Terance Davis, Washington, Martin, Fernando, Rui, Cam Johnson, Paschall, Guduric & you-pick-him as the top 10.

Taking position into account (guards put up lesser raw numbers), a better list would be: Clarke, Davis, Martin, Guduric, Washington, Tyler Herro, Rui, Nunn, Carsen Edwards, & Johnson.

Minutes are too small to mean anything: a week ago, Bruno Fernando looked like an incredible steal. Right now, he looks like a blown pick. Means nothing either way.
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 38,692
And1: 5,628
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#926 » by Ruzious » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:18 pm

payitforward wrote:
oldshoolballer wrote:My Top 10 So Far
1 Kendrick Nunn
2Ja Morant
3 RJ Barrett
4 Rui Hachimura
5 Tyler Herro
6PJ Washington
7 Eric Paschall
8 Coby White
9 Brandon Clarke
10 DeAndre Hunter
Still very early and players and situations change my potential busts are Darius Garland and Cam Reddish.

Early for sure, but this list seems virtually arbitrary. Nunn started strong but has fallen way back. Barrett isn't playing well at all. White is even worse. Paschall is way too far down the list. Where's Terance Davis, who's killing it? Where's Cody Martin, who's also killing it? Both Clarke & Marko Guduric are playing a hell of a lot better for Memphis than Morant is so far. P.J. Washington should be much higher on your list. &, of course, that's a homer rating for Rui.

For guys who've played over 100 minutes, raw productivity, independent of position, the list should be Clarke, Bitadze, Terance Davis, Washington, Martin, Fernando, Rui, Cam Johnson, Paschall, Guduric & you-pick-him as the top 10.

Taking position into account (guards put up lesser raw numbers), a better list would be: Clarke, Davis, Martin, Guduric, Washington, Tyler Herro, Rui, Nunn, Carsen Edwards, & Johnson.

Minutes are too small to mean anything: a week ago, Bruno Fernando looked like an incredible steal. Right now, he looks like a blown pick. Means nothing either way.

Your measurement system has to be very bizarre to have Guduric a hell of a lot better than Morant. Morant's played far better than Guduric. Morant does need to cut down on the to's - like almost every high usage rookie PG in history - but there's still no comparison.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
User avatar
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,602
And1: 793
Joined: Dec 08, 2009

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#927 » by dangermouse » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:38 am

Rui seems like a high IQ player on offense like Otto Porter was. If only he was as good with the 3 ball, he'd be a star in the making. I think he can get there
Image
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract


Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 12,681
And1: 3,938
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#928 » by payitforward » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:47 am

Ruzious wrote:
payitforward wrote:
oldshoolballer wrote:My Top 10 So Far
1 Kendrick Nunn
2Ja Morant
3 RJ Barrett
4 Rui Hachimura
5 Tyler Herro
6PJ Washington
7 Eric Paschall
8 Coby White
9 Brandon Clarke
10 DeAndre Hunter
Still very early and players and situations change my potential busts are Darius Garland and Cam Reddish.

Early for sure, but this list seems virtually arbitrary. Nunn started strong but has fallen way back. Barrett isn't playing well at all. White is even worse. Paschall is way too far down the list. Where's Terance Davis, who's killing it? Where's Cody Martin, who's also killing it? Both Clarke & Marko Guduric are playing a hell of a lot better for Memphis than Morant is so far. P.J. Washington should be much higher on your list. &, of course, that's a homer rating for Rui.

For guys who've played over 100 minutes, raw productivity, independent of position, the list should be Clarke, Bitadze, Terance Davis, Washington, Martin, Fernando, Rui, Cam Johnson, Paschall, Guduric & you-pick-him as the top 10.

Taking position into account (guards put up lesser raw numbers), a better list would be: Clarke, Davis, Martin, Guduric, Washington, Tyler Herro, Rui, Nunn, Carsen Edwards, & Johnson.

Minutes are too small to mean anything: a week ago, Bruno Fernando looked like an incredible steal. Right now, he looks like a blown pick. Means nothing either way.

Your measurement system has to be very bizarre to have Guduric a hell of a lot better than Morant. Morant's played far better than Guduric. Morant does need to cut down on the to's - like almost every high usage rookie PG in history - but there's still no comparison.

Morant is going to be a star. &, you bet, if we wave a wand & his current level of turnovers is suddenly something we ignore, then he's playing better than Guduric right now.

But, if we don't wave the magic want over those turnovers, we are able to give Guduric credit for how he's performed so far. Now... Guduric is 24; he's an experienced professional from Europe. It's fair to say that it's no surprise for him to come in & be able to play good defense w/o fouling, produce good numbers in most stuff, etc. He's not a scorer, but he's also low usage.

Again, I don't attempt to make "essential" judgments on rookies. Not asking how good a player IS Ja Morant or Marko Guduric. Just reporting on their numbers early in their first seasons.
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 12,681
And1: 3,938
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#929 » by payitforward » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:33 am

Rui has played 335 minutes. How is he doing -- per 40 minutes -- compared to an average NBA 4-5?

Rui is
getting 2.6 fewer defensive boards
blocking 1.333 fewer shots
collecting .333 fewer assists
getting .085 fewer steals

OTOH, Rui is
getting .25 more offensive boards
fouling .92 fewer times
committing 1 fewer turnover

Overall, that's a noticeably below average level of productivity. No surprise; he's a rookie.

How about scoring? On two-point attempts & FTs, Rui has a .579 TS% -- that's a tiny bit better than the overall TS% of an average NBA 4-5. But... it doesn't take his poor 3-pt. shooting into account. Rui is shooting 3's at 20%. Thus, overall, his TS% is .541.

In short, Rui hasn't yet established himself, but he's showing a few good things to go along with the problems he's showing so far.

Conclusions? None. Way too early, as should be obvious.
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
User avatar
tontoz
RealGM
Posts: 16,882
And1: 2,409
Joined: Apr 11, 2005

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#930 » by tontoz » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:48 am

The only concerns i have right now are defensive rebounding and rotations.

I am fairly confident he will be good on offense. He is already scoring with bully ball which you typically don't see from rookies. He showed a nice lefty hook the other night.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 12,681
And1: 3,938
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#931 » by payitforward » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:10 am

Seems fair.

But, I think you have to add 3-point shooting, no?
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
User avatar
tontoz
RealGM
Posts: 16,882
And1: 2,409
Joined: Apr 11, 2005

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#932 » by tontoz » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:42 am

payitforward wrote:Seems fair.

But, I think you have to add 3-point shooting, no?



Not really, at least for me. He hasnt attempted many and 3 pt shooting is frequently a mental issue for young guys.

Beal was a lousy 3 pt shooter early in his rookie year and he was taking a lot of them. I remember people panicking on here. At the time i said if he is still bricking them in the 2nd half of the season then i will start worrying.

Just the other day people were talking about Bryant struggling from 3 and i said he should just keep shooting them. I have to see a big sample of bad shooting before i become concerned.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
WallToWall
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,254
And1: 245
Joined: May 20, 2010
         

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#933 » by WallToWall » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:29 am

payitforward wrote:Rui has played 335 minutes. How is he doing -- per 40 minutes -- compared to an average NBA 4-5?

Rui is
getting 2.6 fewer defensive boards
blocking 1.333 fewer shots
collecting .333 fewer assists
getting .085 fewer steals

OTOH, Rui is
getting .25 more offensive boards
fouling .92 fewer times
committing 1 fewer turnover


I am not concerned about his 3 ball. I think it will come around. I am also not concerned about the assists, because I think that too will come around.
I am concerned about his D. More specifically, when he is covering/guarding someone, that person is able to get his shot off with ease. Even with Rui's hands straight up, the shooter still can shoot over him with ease. I dont know if Rui cant jump high enough to block the shot, or if he is too far back from the person he is guarding, or both. Secondly, his positioning on D seems to be not good at times. Meaning, he doesnt seem to be when he should be.The last 2 games showed some improvement, so maybe its a learning thing. The end result is that his D is pretty bad right now. We probably dont pay as much attention to that because the rest of the team is playing no D at all, so from a relative point of view, Rui fits in with the no-D crew. I hope he can turn this around.
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 54,957
And1: 8,959
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#934 » by nate33 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:49 pm

payitforward wrote:Rui has played 335 minutes. How is he doing -- per 40 minutes -- compared to an average NBA 4-5?

Rui is
getting 2.6 fewer defensive boards
blocking 1.333 fewer shots
collecting .333 fewer assists
getting .085 fewer steals

OTOH, Rui is
getting .25 more offensive boards
fouling .92 fewer times
committing 1 fewer turnover

Overall, that's a noticeably below average level of productivity. No surprise; he's a rookie.

How about scoring? On two-point attempts & FTs, Rui has a .579 TS% -- that's a tiny bit better than the overall TS% of an average NBA 4-5. But... it doesn't take his poor 3-pt. shooting into account. Rui is shooting 3's at 20%. Thus, overall, his TS% is .541.

In short, Rui hasn't yet established himself, but he's showing a few good things to go along with the problems he's showing so far.

Conclusions? None. Way too early, as should be obvious.

My biggest concern is his defensive rebounding. The rest of the stuff doesn't bother me too much and I believe will improve with time and experience.
dckingsfan
RealGM
Posts: 15,937
And1: 3,664
Joined: May 28, 2010

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#935 » by dckingsfan » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:20 pm

nate33 wrote:
payitforward wrote:Rui has played 335 minutes. How is he doing -- per 40 minutes -- compared to an average NBA 4-5?

Rui is
getting 2.6 fewer defensive boards
blocking 1.333 fewer shots
collecting .333 fewer assists
getting .085 fewer steals

OTOH, Rui is
getting .25 more offensive boards
fouling .92 fewer times
committing 1 fewer turnover

Overall, that's a noticeably below average level of productivity. No surprise; he's a rookie.

How about scoring? On two-point attempts & FTs, Rui has a .579 TS% -- that's a tiny bit better than the overall TS% of an average NBA 4-5. But... it doesn't take his poor 3-pt. shooting into account. Rui is shooting 3's at 20%. Thus, overall, his TS% is .541.

In short, Rui hasn't yet established himself, but he's showing a few good things to go along with the problems he's showing so far.

Conclusions? None. Way too early, as should be obvious.

My biggest concern is his defensive rebounding. The rest of the stuff doesn't bother me too much and I believe will improve with time and experience.

This - he doesn't seem to have the instincts, quickness or whatever it is to compete for rebounds. We talked about Tobias Harris - compared to Rui he was a rebounding machine at 20. Rui is basically rebounding like a guard or at best a SF.
User avatar
Illmatic12
General Manager
Posts: 9,947
And1: 8,266
Joined: Dec 20, 2013
 

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#936 » by Illmatic12 » Mon Dec 2, 2019 7:15 am

Huge game, and very pleased recently that he's doing more "filling the box score" type production than in college .. not just getting points but also contributing in other ways and giving intense effort defensively

Read on Twitter







Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 54,957
And1: 8,959
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#937 » by nate33 » Mon Dec 2, 2019 3:01 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:Huge game, and very pleased recently that he's doing more "filling the box score" type production than in college .. not just getting points but also contributing in other ways and giving intense effort defensively

There were a lot of positives for Rui in that game.

That last time a Wizards rookie had a game that good (going by Game Score) was Bradley Beal, and he didn't have a game that good until mid January.

One thing I really liked is that Rui was much stronger with the ball. When he was around the basket, he held the ball tight. Nobody knocked the ball out of his hands for a change - and that's with Kawhi guarding him.

There was a moment early in the game when he had the ball in the high post and he just palmed the ball and held it at arms length, looking for a pass. It's one of the first times I really got a chance to appreciate how big his hands are. The ability to palm a ball like that gives you a big advantage if you learn how to use it. You can make one-handed shot fakes and pass fakes, or simply hold the ball safely away from defensive pressure. I hope he continues to leverage this physical advantage.

It was notable that Rui had his best game when Wagner was out. There simply weren't enough guys to man the PF and C positions so Rui knew he would get all the minutes he could handle, regardless of whether or not he made mistakes. I wonder if that helped him to play with confidence - trying to make plays rather than trying not to screw up.

Another possibility is that he is more comfortable as the 5 than as the 4. It would make sense because played more like a 5 in college. Though I'm not sure there's all that much difference between the two spots in our system. Both guys mostly just set high pick-and-rolls and pick-and-pops.
DCZards
General Manager
Posts: 7,522
And1: 2,004
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Location: The Streets of DC

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#938 » by DCZards » Mon Dec 2, 2019 8:06 pm

"He's good. He's very fundamentally sound. He has the tools to get to his spots. Once he gets more games under his belt, and finds his attack spots, he can only get better."

This assessment from Kawhi is right on target...and it's especially insightful coming from a guy who may be the best in the league at finding "his attack spots."
User avatar
Illmatic12
General Manager
Posts: 9,947
And1: 8,266
Joined: Dec 20, 2013
 

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#939 » by Illmatic12 » Mon Dec 2, 2019 8:54 pm

nate33 wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:Huge game, and very pleased recently that he's doing more "filling the box score" type production than in college .. not just getting points but also contributing in other ways and giving intense effort defensively

There were a lot of positives for Rui in that game.

That last time a Wizards rookie had a game that good (going by Game Score) was Bradley Beal, and he didn't have a game that good until mid January.

One thing I really liked is that Rui was much stronger with the ball. When he was around the basket, he held the ball tight. Nobody knocked the ball out of his hands for a change - and that's with Kawhi guarding him.

There was a moment early in the game when he had the ball in the high post and he just palmed the ball and held it at arms length, looking for a pass. It's one of the first times I really got a chance to appreciate how big his hands are. The ability to palm a ball like that gives you a big advantage if you learn how to use it. You can make one-handed shot fakes and pass fakes, or simply hold the ball safely away from defensive pressure. I hope he continues to leverage this physical advantage.

It was notable that Rui had his best game when Wagner was out. There simply weren't enough guys to man the PF and C positions so Rui knew he would get all the minutes he could handle, regardless of whether or not he made mistakes. I wonder if that helped him to play with confidence - trying to make plays rather than trying not to screw up.

Another possibility is that he is more comfortable as the 5 than as the 4. It would make sense because played more like a 5 in college. Though I'm not sure there's all that much difference between the two spots in our system. Both guys mostly just set high pick-and-rolls and pick-and-pops.

Re: going up strong and protecting the ball, it’s something theyve been working on with him and he implemented it right away. Saw this on Twitter -

Read on Twitter
?s=21

And playing Rui at the 5 seems to unlock more of his game around the rim. He shot 9/11 in the restricted area, 2/4 from midrange, 2/5 from three which is a pretty ideal shot distribution for him. Also grabbed 9 rebounds , he was going up and high-pointing the ball out of the air which was really good to see.. he has a habit of sometimes waiting for the ball to fall to him instead of going up to get it.

I think as Rui physically matures and gets stronger (I’m talking like age 24-25), that look with him at the 5 is really going to be special for us. Once he realizes how strong he is he will be a wrecking ball.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 38,692
And1: 5,628
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#940 » by Ruzious » Mon Dec 2, 2019 9:25 pm

Rui at the 5? It may work offensively, but... let's put it this way - he has 3 blocks all season, and he rebounds poorly for a PF. And he's 6'8 with good length... for a 6'8 guy.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas

Return to Washington Wizards