ImageImageImageImageImage

FIBA World Cup 2019

Moderators: montestewart, nate33, LyricalRico

User avatar
closg00
RealGM
Posts: 20,643
And1: 2,548
Joined: Nov 21, 2004

FIBA World Cup 2019 

Post#1 » by closg00 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:17 pm

:o USA upset by the Aussie's 98-94, weakest U.S. team in my memory (Patty Mills bailed them out)
Tank 19/20, trade Brad, Top-5 pick in 2020.
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 54,159
And1: 8,403
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: FIBA World Cup 2019 

Post#2 » by nate33 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:30 pm

Yeah, the team is horrible. Here is the roster:

Harrison Barnes
Jaylen Brown
Joe Harris
Kyle Kuzma
Brook Lopez
Khris Middleton
Donovan Mitchell
Mason Plumlee
Marcus Smart
Jayson Tatum
Myles Turner
Kemba Walker
Derrick White

All the good players wanted to avoid playing in the offseason for two consecutive years (the Olympics is next year). Think of all the good U.S.-born players that are not on the team:

Lebron James
Kevin Durant
Kawhi Leonard
Anthony Davis
James Harden
Stephen Curry
Paul George
Karl Anthony-Towns
Damian Lillard
Kyrie Irving
Draymond Green
Bradley Beal
Klay Thompson
D'Aaron Fox
Blake Griffin
Victor Oladipo
User avatar
gambitx777
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,092
And1: 410
Joined: Dec 18, 2012

Re: FIBA World Cup 2019 

Post#3 » by gambitx777 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:40 pm

Dude it's hard to think that the better players could have legit replaced every player on this team. This is the true B squad .
nate33 wrote:Yeah, the team is horrible. Here is the roster:

Harrison Barnes
Jaylen Brown
Joe Harris
Kyle Kuzma
Brook Lopez
Khris Middleton
Donovan Mitchell
Mason Plumlee
Marcus Smart
Jayson Tatum
Myles Turner
Kemba Walker
Derrick White

All the good players wanted to avoid playing in the offseason for two consecutive years (the Olympics is next year). Think of all the good U.S.-born players that are not on the team:

Lebron James
Kevin Durant
Kawhi Leonard
Anthony Davis
James Harden
Stephen Curry
Paul George
Karl Anthony-Towns
Damian Lillard
Kyrie Irving
Draymond Green
Bradley Beal
Klay Thompson
D'Aaron Fox
Blake Griffin
Victor Oladipo


Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
closg00
RealGM
Posts: 20,643
And1: 2,548
Joined: Nov 21, 2004

Re: FIBA World Cup 2019 

Post#4 » by closg00 » Mon Sep 2, 2019 12:10 am

The Five Teams That Can Beat Team USA
The U.S. is more vulnerable than it’s been in years. Here are the teams at the 2019 FIBA World Cup with the best chances of taking a game from the Americans.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/8/29/20837355/team-usa-fiba-world-cup
Tank 19/20, trade Brad, Top-5 pick in 2020.
User avatar
MarcoPolo
Rookie
Posts: 1,054
And1: 172
Joined: Jan 09, 2011
Location: Katowice, Poland
Contact:
 

Re: FIBA World Cup 2019 

Post#5 » by MarcoPolo » Tue Sep 3, 2019 2:07 pm

They are now playing against Turkey, they look absolutely beatable and Turkey dont even play effective basketball. This team bar Kemba has no leaders they look like a bunch of dudes to somehow been told to play together.

The only hope for them is Kemba/Mitchell/Tatum somehow win them games.
User avatar
closg00
RealGM
Posts: 20,643
And1: 2,548
Joined: Nov 21, 2004

Re: FIBA World Cup 2019 

Post#6 » by closg00 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:46 am

Escaped with the win
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Tank 19/20, trade Brad, Top-5 pick in 2020.
trast66
Senior
Posts: 716
And1: 375
Joined: Oct 20, 2017
   

Re: FIBA World Cup 2019 

Post#7 » by trast66 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 3:54 am

Turkey played a zone that gets taught in 13u basketball, but it worked due to USA off night shooting and consistently missing at rim. Beal and Bryant would have been helpful for team USA! Lopez was not good, I see him a key player on this team, which is troubling. Middleton has impressed me.
User avatar
FAH1223
RealGM
Posts: 10,861
And1: 3,781
Joined: Nov 01, 2005
Location: Laurel, MD
       

Re: FIBA World Cup 2019 

Post#8 » by FAH1223 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 4:03 am

Image
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 38,136
And1: 5,283
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: FIBA World Cup 2019 

Post#9 » by Ruzious » Wed Sep 4, 2019 9:59 am

trast66 wrote:Turkey played a zone that gets taught in 13u basketball, but it worked due to USA off night shooting and consistently missing at rim. Beal and Bryant would have been helpful for team USA! Lopez was not good, I see him a key player on this team, which is troubling. Middleton has impressed me.

Probably the best player in the game was Ilyasova - who scored 15 of Turkey's 42 first half points, and he's so fundamentally strong on defense and on the boards. With Ersan, Middleton, and Lopez out there, it was like a Bucks scrimmage - with Milwaukee letting Turkey have Ersan for the game.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
trast66
Senior
Posts: 716
And1: 375
Joined: Oct 20, 2017
   

Re: FIBA World Cup 2019 

Post#10 » by trast66 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 1:00 pm

Nick Fazekas - born in the USA, ancestors from Hungary, playing on Japans national team. And let's not use this tournament or summer league to make any judgement on Rui, good or bad.
User avatar
Illmatic12
General Manager
Posts: 9,445
And1: 7,767
Joined: Dec 20, 2013
 

Re: FIBA World Cup 2019 

Post#11 » by Illmatic12 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 1:05 pm

Hopefully Sheppard informed the Japan coach that there is zero reason to put Hachimura back in this game. He has much bigger things ahead, time to start resting up for training camp.
trast66
Senior
Posts: 716
And1: 375
Joined: Oct 20, 2017
   

Re: FIBA World Cup 2019 

Post#12 » by trast66 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 1:51 pm

I thought the Japanese were our friends, what a beat down.
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 54,159
And1: 8,403
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: FIBA World Cup 2019 

Post#13 » by nate33 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 1:56 pm

Jesus! I just checked the FIBA website to see how the game is going. Is that a misprint? 96-34?
User avatar
FAH1223
RealGM
Posts: 10,861
And1: 3,781
Joined: Nov 01, 2005
Location: Laurel, MD
       

Re: FIBA World Cup 2019 

Post#14 » by FAH1223 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 4:30 pm

Read on Twitter
Image
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 45,912
And1: 5,429
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: FIBA World Cup 2019 

Post#15 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Sep 6, 2019 5:35 pm

trast66 wrote:Nick Fazekas - born in the USA, ancestors from Hungary, playing on Japans national team. And let's not use this tournament or summer league to make any judgement on Rui, good or bad.
Fazekas was a teammate of both Javale McGee and Ramon Sessions at Nevada. He had really good success there. I thought that he would be a good NBA player. :(

Turns out I was wrong. :)

However, I say he's a success because he's still playing high-level international ball at 34 35 years old.

(**Nik Caner Medley and Drew Nicholas from Maryland in the same way has had a lot of success. So have many others who didn't quite make the NBA.***)
Living the best life I can...God is GOOD all the time.

I enjoy debating sports, not fussing at others who might have a different opinion. RealGM is for FUN.
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 45,912
And1: 5,429
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: FIBA World Cup 2019 

Post#16 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Sep 6, 2019 5:35 pm

Sorry for the typos I'm using autocorrect I am not able to edit right now.

(UPDATE: Fixed those typos).
Living the best life I can...God is GOOD all the time.

I enjoy debating sports, not fussing at others who might have a different opinion. RealGM is for FUN.
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 12,092
And1: 3,780
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: FIBA World Cup 2019 

Post#17 » by payitforward » Fri Sep 6, 2019 8:49 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
trast66 wrote:Nick Fazekas - born in the USA, ancestors from Hungary, playing on Japans national team. And let's not use this tournament or summer league to make any judgement on Rui, good or bad.
Fazekas was a teammate of both Javale McGee and Ramon Sessions Nevada. He gad really good success there and I thought that he would be a good NBA player.

Turns out I was wrong. :)

But you have to say he's a success because he's still playing at 34 35.

Nik Caner Nedley from Maryland in the same way has had a lot of success. So have many others who didn't quite make the NBA.

I thought Fazekas was going to be good, too. Extremely good. He had phenomenal college numbers: really good as a Freshman, & then better & better.

Thing is, Fazekas never really had a chance in the league. As a rookie in 2007-8, he played @12 minutes a game with the Clippers for the last 22 games of the season & was excellent. They let him go, & he never played another NBA minute.

In 2009, he played in the SL for Boston & led the team in scoring but didn't get offered a contract.

I never understood it.... BTW, as a college senior he was .431 shooting threes.
Pay no attention to the remarks above. Or, per Ruzious: "PIF, ...the best part of your posts is your tagline."
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 45,912
And1: 5,429
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: FIBA World Cup 2019 

Post#18 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Sep 7, 2019 1:25 am

payitforward wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
trast66 wrote:Nick Fazekas - born in the USA, ancestors from Hungary, playing on Japans national team. And let's not use this tournament or summer league to make any judgement on Rui, good or bad.
Fazekas was a teammate of both Javale McGee and Ramon Sessions Nevada. He gad really good success there and I thought that he would be a good NBA player.

Turns out I was wrong. :)

But you have to say he's a success because he's still playing at 34 35.

Nik Caner Nedley from Maryland in the same way has had a lot of success. So have many others who didn't quite make the NBA.

I thought Fazekas was going to be good, too. Extremely good. He had phenomenal college numbers: really good as a Freshman, & then better & better.

Thing is, Fazekas never really had a chance in the league. As a rookie in 2007-8, he played @12 minutes a game with the Clippers for the last 22 games of the season & was excellent. They let him go, & he never played another NBA minute.

In 2009, he played in the SL for Boston & led the team in scoring but didn't get offered a contract.

I never understood it.... BTW, as a college senior he was .431 shooting threes.


Thanks, PIF. Real good inputs ... I was unaware of all of this, particularly that he showed signs in very limited minutes of NBA play.

Playing for the 2007 Clippers.... Look at the first thing that I found via search engine. A box score, Wizards vs Clippers!

https://www.google.com/search?q=la+clippers+2007&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS759US759&oq=la+clippers+2007&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.7137j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#sie=m;/g/11fm9z6jv1;3;/m/05jvx;dt;fp;1;;

The 2006-2007 Clippers had Elton Brand, Chris Kaman, Tim Thomas, Corey Maggette, very underrated former Wizard James Singleton; and good guards in Shaun Livingston and Cutino Mobley. A player that didn't pan out, Yaroslav Korolev. They had a good journeyman big man Paul Davis. Quinton Ross played a lot of minutes.

They won 40 games under Mike Dunleavy Sr. Failed to make the playoffs.

Interesting that the year Fazekas landed in LAC, they fell off big time. Only 23 wins. Shaun Livingston was out injured. Al Thornton was their first round pick.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007%E2%80%9308_Los_Angeles_Clippers_season

Thanks to wikipedia, now I've read up on Fazekas. He went #34 (non-guaranteed) to Dallas (right when Dirk was ballin' but they hadn't won a chip yet). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Fazekas
Living the best life I can...God is GOOD all the time.

I enjoy debating sports, not fussing at others who might have a different opinion. RealGM is for FUN.
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 45,912
And1: 5,429
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: FIBA World Cup 2019 

Post#19 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Sep 7, 2019 1:45 am

Numbers game. Bottom line is there are so many guaranteed contracts it's more than difficult for a second rounder to stick.

Fazekas slipped through the cracks. He didn't make it but a similar great NCAA numbers guy, Mike Muscala, has stuck.

There's a guy on the Lakers. (Literally couldn't recall his name and used the following "old white guy dunk Lakers" to search and found this: https://www.google.com/search?q=lakers+old+white+guy+guard+dunk&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS759US759&oq=lakers+old+white+guy+guard+dunk&aqs=chrome..69i57j33l3.8527j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Alex Caruso

A very slim few guys have the persistence to stick around long enough to make it in the NBA after being initially passed over.

(Shout out to Canadian via U Missouri and U Hawaii, Negus Webster Chan. Good luck on making in big, like MORRIS ALMOND and David Caruso).
Living the best life I can...God is GOOD all the time.

I enjoy debating sports, not fussing at others who might have a different opinion. RealGM is for FUN.
User avatar
FAH1223
RealGM
Posts: 10,861
And1: 3,781
Joined: Nov 01, 2005
Location: Laurel, MD
       

Re: FIBA World Cup 2019 

Post#20 » by FAH1223 » Sat Sep 7, 2019 7:31 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Image

Return to Washington Wizards