Isaac Bonga Needs His Own Thread.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,745

Re: Isaac Bonga Needs His Own Thread. 

Post#141 » by Yuri Vaultin » Sun Aug 9, 2020 5:16 pm

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think he is the youngster on your team with the highest ceiling. Guess it helps that he's also the youngest.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 4,544

Post#142 » by payitforward » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:50 pm

Leaving aside comparisons with other youngsters, for sure Isaac Bonga is already good & headed towards a long, productive NBA career.
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,512

Post#143 » by Ruzious » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:07 pm

If Bonga gets a little better skill-wise and a little better body-wise each year, I'd like to fast-forward a few years and see what we have.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 2,154

Post#144 » by doclinkin » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:00 am

DCZards
General Manager
And1: 2,303

Post#145 » by DCZards » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:20 am

doclinkin wrote:

Thanks for posting.

Great to see Bonga! Bonga! working on his skills. Kid has a chance to be a very good NBA player.

Video also provided some insight into the kind of drills they're doing at Big Guard U.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 9,957

Post#146 » by nate33 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:16 pm

doclinkin wrote:

Good find, doc.

I've been looking for Bonga footage and haven't found anything.

I was curious if he has bulked up a bit, but he is wearing sweat pants and a baggy t-shirt so it's hard to tell. The only thing I take away from this video is that Bonga has a very tight handle. His dribbling skills look real good in those drills.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#147 » by Ruzious » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:18 pm

doclinkin wrote:

Man, watching that - I wonder why DeAndre Hunter had such a tough rookie year - he's so talented - as is NAW. Payton Pritchard does everything so naturally on offense - but he'll have a LOT of trouble defending anyone. He got a lot of steal in college, but I don't think that will translate. Yuta Watanabe - wow can he ever shoot - with range out to 30 feet, and he looked polished - with good SF size. Memphis has a nice role player there.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
prime1time
Sixth Man
And1: 878

Post#148 » by prime1time » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:21 pm

Ruzious wrote:
doclinkin wrote:

Man, watching that - I wonder why DeAndre Hunter had such a tough rookie year - he's so talented - as is NAW. Payton Pritchard does everything so naturally on offense - but he'll have a LOT of trouble defending anyone. He got a lot of steal in college, but I don't think that will translate. Yuta Watanabe - wow can he ever shoot - with range out to 30 feet, and he looked polished - with good SF size. Memphis has a nice role player there.

Can’t use pick up to evaluate. I just don’t think his offense was ready. And the fact that Trae is so ball
dominant hurts him. Learning how to play off someone is a skill in and of itself. I expect him to struggle again this year.
TGW
General Manager
And1: 3,424

Post#149 » by TGW » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:54 pm

De'Andre Hunter is going to be good this year. He has the soul and work ethic of an old pro.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
wall_glizzy
Sophomore
And1: 82

Post#150 » by wall_glizzy » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:05 pm

Ruzious wrote:Man, watching that - I wonder why DeAndre Hunter had such a tough rookie year - he's so talented - as is NAW. Payton Pritchard does everything so naturally on offense - but he'll have a LOT of trouble defending anyone. He got a lot of steal in college, but I don't think that will translate. Yuta Watanabe - wow can he ever shoot - with range out to 30 feet, and he looked polished - with good SF size. Memphis has a nice role player there.

Both he and Cam Reddish really picked it up as the year went along, but their numbers in the first month or two were so bad - especially in Reddish's case - that their performance across the entire year still looks pretty crummy. I think at least one of those guys, and very possibly both, are gonna be serious contributors sooner than expected.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#151 » by Ruzious » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:16 pm

wall_glizzy wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Man, watching that - I wonder why DeAndre Hunter had such a tough rookie year - he's so talented - as is NAW. Payton Pritchard does everything so naturally on offense - but he'll have a LOT of trouble defending anyone. He got a lot of steal in college, but I don't think that will translate. Yuta Watanabe - wow can he ever shoot - with range out to 30 feet, and he looked polished - with good SF size. Memphis has a nice role player there.

Both he and Cam Reddish really picked it up as the year went along, but their numbers in the first month or two were so bad - especially in Reddish's case - that their performance across the entire year still looks pretty crummy. I think at least one of those guys, and very possibly both, are gonna be huge contributors sooner than expected.

Yeah, with most rookies, it's smart to back out their 1st half of the year stats - Tyler Herro was another who was so much better in the 2nd half.
Meliorus
Analyst
And1: 1,009

Post#152 » by Meliorus » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:34 am

Is anyone else worried about Bonga's playing time with all these new additions? Is there a chance he'll be left to rot on DNP's? Like a few others in here, I feel like he has the highest upside out of all the young guys. I don't know how Troy Brown, Deni, Bonga, and Rui (he might get some minutes at the 3) all will play.
prime1time
Sixth Man
And1: 878

Post#153 » by prime1time » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:19 am

Meliorus wrote:Is anyone else worried about Bonga's playing time with all these new additions? Is there a chance he'll be left to rot on DNP's? Like a few others in here, I feel like he has the highest upside out of all the young guys. I don't know how Troy Brown, Deni, Bonga, and Rui (he might get some minutes at the 3) all will play.

It is clear by drafting Advija what they thought about Bonga. Yes, he will get limited minutes. And no I'm not concerned. This is what happens when you upgrade positions.
NatP4
General Manager
And1: 2,287

Post#154 » by NatP4 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:36 am

One easy way to improve is to just play Bonga more. He’s good. Yes, I am concerned.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 2,303

Post#155 » by DCZards » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:14 pm

Hard to take issue with adding a highly regarded prospect like Deni even if it means less minutes for Bomga or Rui or Troy.

They'll all be competing for minutes. That's an incentive for each of them to work on their games and, hopefully, improve.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 5,881

Post#156 » by I_Like_Dirt » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:14 am

Meliorus wrote:Is anyone else worried about Bonga's playing time with all these new additions? Is there a chance he'll be left to rot on DNP's? Like a few others in here, I feel like he has the highest upside out of all the young guys. I don't know how Troy Brown, Deni, Bonga, and Rui (he might get some minutes at the 3) all will play.
The worry is more to do with team strategy. The team could easily find minutes for all of them. Rui plays mostly PF. Brown can play backup guard minutes rather easily and there seems to be talk of trying him at PV a bit. Deni can get minutes all over, too. It's easy to get 28+ mpg for all of them if the team feels they've earned them, even with Bertans there. My concern is more about if the team winds up playing a bunch of veteran guards who aren't very good and confining those 4 to forward minutes, at which point there will be issues.

Sent from my SM-G970W using RealGM mobile app
Bucket! Bucket!

Return to Washington Wizards