Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Re: Wizards vs Fear the Deer "Bucks" 

Post#41 » by 80sballboy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:48 am

nate33 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Like it or don't, Chris Chiozza is the best healthy PG on the roster. There's talent in Bonga on the defensive end, and his size is a big plus, but he's too far... too far... too far away from being an NBA player. Robinson is what he is - a mediocre talent who might become an okay NBA backup. Chiozza will never be more than a backup, but he gets everything he can from what he has - his hustle and smarts make me root for him.

Schofield... I'd rather have Justin Anderson. Why haven't Jones and McRae played?

I'm more convinced than ever that both Bonga and Robinson should not play in the NBA this season, and Chiozza has clearly separated from them.

Yup.

Robinson has won the battle at forward over Jones and Bonga. Chiozza has beaten out Robinson. Schofield hasn't done much, but I don't see them cutting their 2nd round draft pick outright. Gonna have to cut Robinson, Bonga, Booth and Jones. Keep Anderson and Chiozza. Matthews on a 2-way. Hopefully, we can convince Robinson to sign a 2-way after we cut him. If not, just sign Booth to a 2-way.

The only other option is to cut Mahinmi. Then we can keep Bonga.

Starters:
Ish
Beal
Brown
Rui
Bryant

2nd unit:
Thomas
McRae
Miles
Bertans
Wagner

End of bench:
Chiozza
Anderson
Schofield
Mahinmi/Bonga
Wall

I would dump Mahinmi in a second but that's a Ted move. I'd hang on to Bonga though at some point, if you can't shoot in this league, you can't play. Hopefully he gets it but I think he's one of those guys who needs a couple of years playing G-League or Europe and might eventually get better. He's so damn long. Is he a 1? A 2? A 3? None of those yet. Schofield looks more like a 2-way player right now. The NBA game appears too fast for him, athletes are too long. His power game at 6-5 doesn't really translate. Not yet anyways.

C.J. Miles is the wild card. Can he still play? Is he healthy enough to play a full schedule? That's where Justin Anderson fits in and that's a weakness right now unless C.J. still has something left and if he does, then trade him before the trade deadline.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#42 » by Illmatic12 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:51 am

nate33 wrote:The Wizards had 46 3-point attempts and only 42 2-point attempts. Only 9 of their 2-point attempts were outside the lane.

Check out the shot chart:

Dean Oliver gave the halftime interview and he seemed very pleased. That's definitely the analytics effect.

Best thing is that they're starting with a new younger group instead of trying to install this system with pre-existing veterans. You can see everyone really buying into the idea of ball movement, 3pt shooting and running the floor. Out of the vets that we do have, Beal and Bertans are basically the exact guys you want in this system.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,305

Post#43 » by nate33 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:52 am

80sballboy wrote:I would dump Mahinmi in a second but that's a Ted move. I'd hang on to Bonga though at some point, if you can't shoot in this league, you can't play. Hopefully he gets it but I think he's one of those guys who needs a couple of years playing G-League or Europe and might eventually get better. He's so damn long. Is he a 1? A 2? A 3? None of those yet. Schofield looks more like a 2-way player right now. The NBA game appears too fast for him, athletes are too long. His power game at 6-5 doesn't really translate. Not yet anyways.

C.J. Miles is the wild card. Can he still play? Is he healthy enough to play a full schedule? That's where Justin Anderson fits in and that's a weakness right now unless C.J. still has something left and if he does, then trade him before the trade deadline.

It's too late to ink Schofield to a 2-way contract. He already signed a guaranteed deal. We can play him in the G-League all year, but he's going to cost $1M and take up a roster spot.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,345

Post#44 » by doclinkin » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:10 am

Illmatic12 wrote:
nate33 wrote:The Wizards had 46 3-point attempts and only 42 2-point attempts. Only 9 of their 2-point attempts were outside the lane.

Check out the shot chart:

Dean Oliver gave the halftime interview and he seemed very pleased. That's definitely the analytics effect.

Best thing is that they're starting with a new younger group instead of trying to install this system with pre-existing veterans. You can see everyone really buying into the idea of ball movement, 3pt shooting and running the floor. Out of the vets that we do have, Beal and Bertans are basically the exact guys you want in this system.

Seems like somebody around here was saying this months ago. Who was that dude? I forget. At least one other knowitall was saying some PIFfle about how there was no plan and we were trading for various versions of ‘just a guy’ to fill a roster spot, but somebody kept talkin something bout how it seemed like a particular design. Ballhandling and outside shooting. With Davis Bertans as a prime example. I dunno.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#45 » by FAH1223 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:37 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Post#46 » by closg00 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:17 pm

nate33 wrote:
80sballboy wrote:I would dump Mahinmi in a second but that's a Ted move. I'd hang on to Bonga though at some point, if you can't shoot in this league, you can't play. Hopefully he gets it but I think he's one of those guys who needs a couple of years playing G-League or Europe and might eventually get better. He's so damn long. Is he a 1? A 2? A 3? None of those yet. Schofield looks more like a 2-way player right now. The NBA game appears too fast for him, athletes are too long. His power game at 6-5 doesn't really translate. Not yet anyways.

It's too late to ink Schofield to a 2-way contract. He already signed a guaranteed deal. We can play him in the G-League all year, but he's going to cost $1M and take up a roster spot.

Are all-three years guaranteed, no team options?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,305

Post#47 » by nate33 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:37 pm

closg00 wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Are all-three years guaranteed, no team options?

No. Only this year is guaranteed. The next two are team options.

With a contract that friendly, it makes sense not to write him off after just one month and instead try and develop him, even if Jones is the better player at the moment.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#48 » by payitforward » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:20 pm

Admiral is signed for 4 years not 3.

I don't think your reason for preferring Schofield to Jones is sound, nate. For one thing, I doubt there'd be any difficulty in signing Jones to a contract only slightly more costly than Schofield's. Not that I'm suggesting we let Schofield go (though I'll be quite surprised if he amounts to anything) -- Schofield is guaranteed this year; Jones is not. I.e. it's not really between them for a roster spot. The one advantage Schofield has over Jones is that he's two years younger.

Of course, the exact same set of sentences could be written substituting Justin Robinson's name for Schofield's & Chris Chiozza's name for Jones. & I do mean identical. Chiozza is 2 years older than Robinson; he came into camp this year with much more experience playing against NBA competition. But Robinson has a partial guarantee this year, & his 3 year contract is extremely friendly.

The one difference between the two cases is that Jemerrio Jones was a much better college player than Admiral Schofield, while Justin Robinson was only a somewhat better college player than Chris Chiozza.

What does all this mean? Not much -- except for one variable: the guarantees. I'm pretty sure Schofield & Robinson will be on the team, while Jones & Chiozza look much less likely.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....

Return to Washington Wizards