Jordan McRae

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Re: Jordan McRae 

Post#41 » by nate33 » Wed Jan 1, 2020 8:52 pm

The reason we shouldn't trade McRae is the same reason we shouldn't trade Bertans: we are in no man's land with respect to our cap flexibility. We have plenty of room under the $141M luxtax threshold but have almost no ability to spend much more than the $115M salary cap threshold.

If we let Bertans and McRae walk, we have only the $10M MLE to replace them. It's better to keep them and resign them with Bird Rights. We can then still use the MLE to add even more depth. If appropriate, we can trade one or both of them later.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,971

Post#42 » by DCZards » Wed Jan 1, 2020 9:21 pm

payitforward wrote:As to the chances of getting someone as good or better than McRae with a R2 pick, keep in mind that McRae himself was taken #58 in the draft. Moreover, if we are not going to become contenders next year (&, trust me, we are not), then a young player is inherently more valuable than someone like McRae.

Every player on every team should be available in a trade -- it's just a question of what's on offer in return for the guy.

The decision as to whether or not to trade McRae for a second round pick should not be contingent on whether the Zards will be “contenders” next season.

Trading Jordan for a pick who might not be as good as him (a player who might not ever be in the team’s regular rotation) does not get you any closer to being a contender next year...or five years from now.

I’d argue that the Zards are far better off this year —and probably in future years should they resign him—because they kept Jordan over the younger Jemerrio Jones. :)

Nothing wrong with having more second round picks, but you also need to recognize when you have a seasoned player who might be more valuable than the crapshoot of a second round pick...especially when you’re attempting to do a quick rebuild around two veteran guards.

Of course, every player should be available for trade.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#43 » by gambitx777 » Wed Jan 1, 2020 11:36 pm

It depends on the offer. Just like with every player. Team chem and morale is looking good.unleas someone blows us away with an offer for some reason .I don't think we are making too many moves
DCZards wrote:
payitforward wrote:As to the chances of getting someone as good or better than McRae with a R2 pick, keep in mind that McRae himself was taken #58 in the draft. Moreover, if we are not going to become contenders next year (&, trust me, we are not), then a young player is inherently more valuable than someone like McRae.

Every player on every team should be available in a trade -- it's just a question of what's on offer in return for the guy.

The decision as to whether or not to trade McRae for a second round pick should not be contingent on whether the Zards will be “contenders” next season.

Trading Jordan for a pick who might not be as good as him (a player who might not ever be in the team’s regular rotation) does not get you any closer to being a contender next year...or five years from now.

I’d argue that the Zards are far better off this year —and probably in future years should they resign him—because they kept Jordan over the younger Jemerrio Jones. :)

Nothing wrong with having more second round picks, but you also need to recognize when you have a seasoned player who might be more valuable than the crapshoot of a second round pick...especially when you’re attempting to do a quick rebuild around two veteran guards.

Of course, every player should be available for trade.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,869

Post#44 » by payitforward » Wed Jan 1, 2020 11:57 pm

All 3 of nate, Zards & gambit make perfectly valid points. & I hope it's obvious that I'm not calling for us to trade McRae. It's all a matter of what's on offer.

Most important -- what a nice moment for Jordan McRae! He's put his time in; it's great to see him in a position to make some money!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#45 » by payitforward » Fri Feb 7, 2020 1:16 am

Let's hear it for Jordan McRae, & let's give him a nice send-off too.

We picked McRae up off the scrap heap, & he used the opportunity to establish himself in the NBA. He deserves credit for that. Word is, he's a nice guy & very well liked in the locker room.

I didn't want to keep him this year, & I was wrong. He played extremely well to start the season -- we needed it, too! Here's hoping he's a big success in Minnesota. Good luck to Jordan McRae.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
TheBabyMaker
Starter
And1: 852

Post#46 » by TheBabyMaker » Fri Feb 7, 2020 12:08 pm

What? Wait? I thought he was going to Denver? Either way he was a true professional the whole time here at Washington, I had no problem with him but some of my fellow Wiz fans though he took too many minutes from the younger guys and was shooting too much yet he was probably the best play maker behind Beal and Ish all season. His scoring off the bench will be missed I guarantee that.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#47 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 7, 2020 2:59 pm

He was a good player and a good fit on this ball club. But as an expiring contract in a tank season, I'm glad Sheppard found a way to trade him for future value.

It's worth noting that his "breakout season" this year was mostly based on unsustainable hot 3-point shooting over the first 16 games, culminating in a torrid stretch while Beal was out. In his first 16 games, he posted a TS% of .615 and a 3P% of .490. In his last 13 games, his TS% has been .459 and his 3P% has been .281.

We may have sold high on him. Shades of Rasual Butler.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#48 » by Ruzious » Fri Feb 7, 2020 3:10 pm

McRae's problems were mainly with injuries - throughout his career. It was clear there was something wrong in his last few games - he was moving at least a step slower than usual. And with him being an upcoming free agent, it's not a surprise that they traded him.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#49 » by payitforward » Fri Feb 7, 2020 9:41 pm

Anyway, here's hoping he gets healthy, closes the season strong, & gets a contract that lets him put some money away!
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#50 » by nate33 » Mon Mar 2, 2020 4:05 pm

Interesting. I guess he wasn't good enough to help the Nuggets:

Read on Twitter
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#51 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 2, 2020 4:44 pm

nate33 wrote:Interesting. I guess he wasn't good enough to help the Nuggets:

Read on Twitter

I saw some highlights of him playing for Denver - when he was hitting some shots - and he just looked awfully slow - same with his last few games with the Wiz. I figure he has something wrong with him. Injuries have always seemed to be a problem with him. This season it was finger problems and something with his legs or feet.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#52 » by payitforward » Wed Mar 4, 2020 11:50 pm

The Pistons have claimed McRae off waivers. Good. Hope they re-sign him. I'd like to see him extend his career a few years & make some $$$!!
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Post#53 » by closg00 » Wed Mar 4, 2020 11:55 pm

Good for Jordan with several teams wanting to sign him, hope he makes it.
TheBabyMaker
Starter

Post#54 » by TheBabyMaker » Thu Mar 5, 2020 1:48 am

He will/should get mins with the injuries to Rose and Kennard.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#55 » by gambitx777 » Thu Mar 5, 2020 5:22 am

Too bad he's not play off eligible he would look good as a Laker

TheBabyMaker
Starter

Post#56 » by TheBabyMaker » Fri Mar 6, 2020 1:44 am

gambitx777 wrote:Too bad he's not play off eligible he would look good as a Laker

Lakers just signed Dion **** Waiters. Is he eligible for the playoffs? I don't get it.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#57 » by gambitx777 » Fri Mar 6, 2020 1:47 am

He is. He was bought out before the 1,st
TheBabyMaker wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:Too bad he's not play off eligible he would look good as a Laker

Lakers just signed Dion **** Waiters. Is he eligible for the playoffs? I don't get it.

TheBabyMaker
Starter

Post#58 » by TheBabyMaker » Fri Mar 6, 2020 1:49 am

gambitx777 wrote:He is. He was bought out before the 1,st
TheBabyMaker wrote:

Oh Ok.

Return to Washington Wizards