ImageImageImageImageImage

Political Roundtable Part XXVII

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,358

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVII 

Post#1322 » by Kanyewest » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:38 pm

So Trump can break the law, tilt election in his favor, and it doesn't matter since it is an election year. The Lamar Alexander defense.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,632

Post#1323 » by pancakes3 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:21 pm

doesn't even have to be an election year
Bullets -> Wizards
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,707

Post#1324 » by Pointgod » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:22 pm

Kanyewest wrote:So Trump can break the law, tilt election in his favor, and it doesn't matter since it is an election year. The Lamar Alexander defense.

US Democracy is officially dead. This is how facist and authoritarian regimes spread. It’s **** insane. This should have a chilling effect on every single person. Trump will be re-elected simply because he will 100% cheat to maintain power. The Senate has handed him a blank check for corruption. There’s nothing to stop Republicans from shutting down polling stations, rounding people up and literally throwing out ballots. I dare someone to tell me I’m wrong.
gtn130
Analyst
And1: 2,740

Post#1325 » by gtn130 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:36 pm

Pointgod wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:So Trump can break the law, tilt election in his favor, and it doesn't matter since it is an election year. The Lamar Alexander defense.

US Democracy is officially dead. This is how facist and authoritarian regimes spread. It’s **** insane. This should have a chilling effect on every single person. Trump will be re-elected simply because he will 100% cheat to maintain power. The Senate has handed him a blank check for corruption. There’s nothing to stop Republicans from shutting down polling stations, rounding people up and literally throwing out ballots. I dare someone to tell me I’m wrong.

This is correct. Democracy is likely completely over now.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,873

Post#1326 » by Wizardspride » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:40 pm

:( :( :( :( :( :(
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#1327 » by JWizmentality » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:18 pm

America, you no longer have the right to lecture any country on their ideals.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1328 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:49 pm

Pointgod wrote:

Dershowitz essentially said it's fine - as a representative of the Republican party. His view isn't just profoundly f'n stupid; it's profoundly irresponsible. Own Dershowitz' comments, "winners". You've already lived by them.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,058

Post#1329 » by dckingsfan » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:33 pm

And while US Democracy burns, we are getting some interesting news on climate change and what is burning... money.

You have seen many insurers try not to insure in certain areas. We are seeing the reinsurers worried about the recent 50B losses the insurers racked up. We are seeing the ECB trying to figure out if flooding/fires/lack of insurance could produce another 2008 meltdown (you don't need that many folks to stop paying their mortgages to create a ripple affect). And farmers in Australia taking it in the pocketbook to the tune of 20+% over the last 20 years.

Waiting for our US Democracy to come to grips with this...
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1330 » by Wizardspride » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:50 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1331 » by Wizardspride » Sat Feb 1, 2020 1:39 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 901

Post#1332 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Feb 2, 2020 11:19 pm

"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,190

Post#1333 » by Zonkerbl » Tue Feb 4, 2020 5:45 pm

Some really dark thoughts I was going to post on twitter and thought better of it. You guys are used to my evil side so I'll get it off my chest here:

My friend Emil died in his twenties from leukemia about thirty years ago. My other friend Miguel died in a fire he caused from smoking in bed. My friend Paul was bipolar and got shot by a S.W.A.T. team after firing his guns off in a drunken rage. Jason the country western singer killed himself. These are kids I grew up with, in a graduating class of 60 people.

The universe is a nasty, horrible, random place where horrible things happen to good people *all the time,* while nasty pieces of garbage like Rush Limbaugh get to live for DECADES longer than them.

Rush Limbaugh is one of the evil mfers who set the torch to the garbage pile festering in the center of the Republican party, directly leading to the dumpster fire raging today. For all the misery they're causing people, it looks like every last one of these horrible people is going to get away with it scott free. All except maybe Rush Limbaugh. For once in this idiot dice game of a universe one of the people who actually deserves it will suffer, and I'm *glad* about it. I guess that makes me the bad guy.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,058

Post#1334 » by dckingsfan » Tue Feb 4, 2020 6:07 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:Some really dark thoughts I was going to post on twitter and thought better of it. You guys are used to my evil side so I'll get it off my chest here:

My friend Emil died in his twenties from leukemia about thirty years ago. My other friend Miguel died in a fire he caused from smoking in bed. My friend Paul was bipolar and got shot by a S.W.A.T. team after firing his guns off in a drunken rage. Jason the country western singer killed himself. These are kids I grew up with, in a graduating class of 60 people.

The universe is a nasty, horrible, random place where horrible things happen to good people *all the time,* while nasty pieces of garbage like Rush Limbaugh get to live for DECADES longer than them.

Rush Limbaugh is one of the evil mfers who set the torch to the garbage pile festering in the center of the Republican party, directly leading to the dumpster fire raging today. For all the misery they're causing people, it looks like every last one of these horrible people is going to get away with it scott free. All except maybe Rush Limbaugh. For once in this idiot dice game of a universe one of the people who actually deserves it will suffer, and I'm *glad* about it. I guess that makes me the bad guy.

I am going to say this - but it isn't going to help.

Death seems to be random. And there is always the guilt, anger and betrayal that goes with each passing. The following was posted from the CA board and I concur:

The schadenfreude is difficult to suppress. A direct transcript from his radio show:

RUSH: Well, smokers aren’t killing anybody.

CALLER: Except themselves.

RUSH: Yeah, but how long does it take?

CALLER: If you’re in an environment where somebody smokes, you can get secondhand disease from —

RUSH: No.

CALLER: — secondhand smoke.

RUSH: No. You can’t. That is a myth. That has been disproven at the World Health Organization and the report was suppressed. There is no fatality whatsoever. There’s no even major sickness component associated with secondhand smoke. It may irritate you, and you may not like it, but it will not make you sick, and it will not kill you.

CALLER: Okay.

RUSH: Firsthand smoke takes 50 years to kill people, if it does. Not everybody that smokes gets cancer. Now, it’s true that everybody who smokes dies, but so does everyone who eats carrots.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,632

Post#1335 » by pancakes3 » Tue Feb 4, 2020 6:18 pm

there's also a factor where public figures put out a very singular image of themselves and that's all we know of them so it becomes their entire persona to us. scalia was not a good Justice and played a large role in the politicizing of SCOTUS with his "subtle" comments in dicta and there was [justified] celebration when he passed.

kobe's death is messier bc there was an on-court persona, had an objectively bad persona off court during his playing days, and also did highly public and admirable things after he retired.

trying to reconcile public figures w personal figures in terms of mourning or cheering upon passing is just complicated. i'm not here to tell someone how they should feel when someone dies (or is dying) but just sharing some of my thoughts re: death bc i too have been having thoughts about it recently.
Bullets -> Wizards
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 554

Post#1336 » by daSwami » Tue Feb 4, 2020 8:17 pm

Man, the DNC is a smoldering puddle of dung.
:banghead:
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1337 » by Ruzious » Tue Feb 4, 2020 9:08 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:Some really dark thoughts I was going to post on twitter and thought better of it. You guys are used to my evil side so I'll get it off my chest here:

Rush said that he would never get lung cancer because he gave up cigars. Awww. He's done - put a fork in him. The best way to deal with garbage like him is to ignore him. He thrives on attention - even now. His kind is not worth spending any of your energy on - not even to be happy that he's sick. Put him on ignore.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#1338 » by JWizmentality » Tue Feb 4, 2020 11:20 pm

Bernie Bernie Bernie!!!!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1339 » by Ruzious » Tue Feb 4, 2020 11:31 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Lol. They showed the audiovisual... of him... and he's blaming the media for miss-quoting him. I was going to say unbelievable. but this kind of bs is the norm nowadaze. Decades ago we shook our heads when Charles Barkley said he was miss-quoted in his autobiography. This is several steps crazier.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1340 » by Wizardspride » Tue Feb 4, 2020 11:40 pm

:lol:

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Return to Washington Wizards