ImageImageImageImageImage

2020 2nd Round Draft Pick(s)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Re: 2020 2nd Round Draft Pick(s) 

Post#321 » by WizarDynasty » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:50 pm

Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#322 » by payitforward » Mon Nov 2, 2020 10:34 pm

WizarDynasty wrote:
payitforward wrote:... looking at a bunch of R2 guard prospects, does one of them stand out..?

Skylar Mays: ...
Nate Hinton: ...
Ty-Shon Alexander: ...
Payton Pritchard: ....

I'm particularly interested in how you see Pritchard's shot/shooting form.

Pritchard shooting form is advanced, nice landing mechanics, great hip bend, excellent high elbow of the above the eyesocket.

Missed this response for some reason -- thanks! I take this to mean that if Pritchard is there at #37 (assuming there hasn't been some crazy fall of someone you like better), you see him as a good pick for us?

Good!

Now... mostly we've been talking guard at this spot (especially since Tillman started rising in the mocks...) -- but what if someone like Paul Reed on the board when our ##37 turn arrives?

You might have written about Reed already... but if so it's slipped my mind. Remind me, please.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#323 » by payitforward » Tue Nov 3, 2020 6:50 pm

From main draft thread....
WizarDynasty wrote:...imagine having a perimeter player with a standing reach of 9'2. Completely shut down perimeter 3 point shot jacking....

Abdoulaye N’Doye -- a 6'7" 2-3 with a 7'2" wingspan....???? Likely goes undrafted -- anyone looked at him?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#324 » by Shoe » Tue Nov 3, 2020 7:01 pm

Killian Tillie. Not endorsing it but I wouldn't be surprised if he's selected.
WizarDynasty
Veteran

Post#325 » by WizarDynasty » Tue Nov 3, 2020 8:16 pm

payitforward wrote:From main draft thread....
WizarDynasty wrote:...imagine having a perimeter player with a standing reach of 9'2. Completely shut down perimeter 3 point shot jacking....

Abdoulaye N’Doye -- a 6'7" 2-3 with a 7'2" wingspan....???? Likely goes undrafted -- anyone looked at him?

Standing reach is more important than wingspan. Wingspan is important for shooting guards and point guards. Forwards and Centers need standing reach for rebounds.
NIck young had a 7'0 wingspan and 8'4 standing reach. We needed nick young to have a 8'11 standing reach. Huge Grunfeld blunder. Worse rebounding guard in history of franchise.
Always, always, always demand standing reach.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
payitforward
RealGM

Post#326 » by payitforward » Wed Nov 4, 2020 12:54 am

Shoe wrote:Killian Tillie. Not endorsing it but I wouldn't be surprised if he's selected.

I.e. by the Wizards at #37?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#327 » by Ruzious » Wed Nov 4, 2020 3:42 pm

WizarDynasty wrote:
payitforward wrote:From main draft thread....

Standing reach is more important than wingspan. Wingspan is important for shooting guards and point guards. Forwards and Centers need standing reach for rebounds.
NIck young had a 7'0 wingspan and 8'4 standing reach. We needed nick young to have a 8'11 standing reach. Huge Grunfeld blunder. Worse rebounding guard in history of franchise.
Always, always, always demand standing reach.

Wait, but you just said it's wingspan that's important for shooting guards (and I agree with you, btw), and Young was a shooting guard.

Danger Will Robinson! Danger! Image
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#328 » by Shoe » Wed Nov 4, 2020 4:40 pm

payitforward wrote:
Shoe wrote:Killian Tillie. Not endorsing it but I wouldn't be surprised if he's selected.

I.e. by the Wizards at #37?

Yes I could see Tommy making that pick.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#329 » by Ruzious » Thu Nov 5, 2020 9:27 pm

Read on Twitter

Shout out to X Tillman - especially if he's there at 37, and we don't pick a big in the first round. It'd be an interesting choice if both he and Tillie are there.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
WizarDynasty
Veteran

Post#330 » by WizarDynasty » Thu Nov 5, 2020 9:33 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Read on Twitter

Shout out to X Tillman - especially if he's there at 37, and we don't pick a big in the first round. It'd be an interesting choice if both he and Tillie are there.

count me, I am down with Tillman too!! I don't think he makes it to pick 37!!
payitforward
RealGM

Post#331 » by payitforward » Thu Nov 5, 2020 9:46 pm

If they hadn't allowed those mail-in 3-point attempts we'd have gotten Tillman for sure!
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,362

Post#332 » by doclinkin » Thu Nov 5, 2020 11:11 pm

Yeah Tillman has been my guy but he is climbing up the boards. This only helps him. He's in the 20's at least.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#333 » by doclinkin » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:55 am

By the way: Devon Dotson. I have overlooked him, but his athleticism made me take a look. I like his numbers. Solid rebounding for a PG. Nice FT% suggests he can add range. Great quicks. Good defense despite the 6'2" height, especially in transition. That said he didn't play his biggest against his toughest competition, on the other hand he was the top scorer on the best team this year.

Offensively his speed and speed of thought are disruptive. He puts so much pressure with his threat to drive that teams jump out of place when he even flinches, opening up shots and passing lanes. He's gonna be fun to watch even as a back up off the bench, tiring out starters or blowing past 2nd tier guys.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#334 » by Ruzious » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:31 pm

doclinkin wrote:By the way: Devon Dotson. I have overlooked him, but his athleticism made me take a look. I like his numbers. Solid rebounding for a PG. Nice FT% suggests he can add range. Great quicks. Good defense despite the 6'2" height, especially in transition. That said he didn't play his biggest against his toughest competition, on the other hand he was the top scorer on the best team this year.

Offensively his speed and speed of thought are disruptive. He puts so much pressure with his threat to drive that teams jump out of place when he even flinches, opening up shots and passing lanes. He's gonna be fun to watch even as a back up off the bench, tiring out starters or blowing past 2nd tier guys.

Any thoughts on Dotson vs Kira Lewis - also a speedster?
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#335 » by doclinkin » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:01 pm

Ruzious wrote:
doclinkin wrote:By the way: Devon Dotson. I have overlooked him, but his athleticism made me take a look. I like his numbers. Solid rebounding for a PG. Nice FT% suggests he can add range. Great quicks. Good defense despite the 6'2" height, especially in transition. That said he didn't play his biggest against his toughest competition, on the other hand he was the top scorer on the best team this year.

Any thoughts on Dotson vs Kira Lewis - also a speedster?

They are pretty close. Lewis the better shooter, Dotson a more disruptive defender. The difference to me is mostly this: Dotson will come cheaper, with a late pick, able to be bought in the 2nd round. Kira Lewis is a no doubt first round lock.

Kira Lewis came up big against big time programs. He had less to work with as far as teammates. Has a better 3fG%. At times he did shoot his team out of games and had tunnel vision. But the better range on the shot makes him significantly tougher to guard.

Dotson was floor captain of the #1 team in the country, has a poise about him, took better care of the ball. People will take Lewis with the idea that he will be a starting Point, where Dotson is mocked as a change of pace back-up. I've seen Lewis mocked up into the lottery. Not for me for this team, but I can see why. There are other players I'd want more, is all.

Lewis is probably a few notches better, and would have have looked it if they had to switch teams. But Dotson seems like a bargain where I have seen him in the 40's.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#336 » by payitforward » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:07 am

I agree that Dotson is a bargain in the 40's -- which doesn't mean he'll make it in the league, only that he seems more likely than some others who might be taken in that range. OTOH, it wouldn't surprise me to see him sneak into the 30's.

He's certainly a better bargain than is Kira Lewis.

I've got Lewis on my top ten list of guys likely to be busts -- which doesn't mean he'll be one, only that he is not the kind of guy I'd pick high. He'd be a bargain in the 40's too, but people seem to see him as a mid-R1 pick who might go in the 4-8 picks after the lottery.

Yet, Dotson put up better numbers in a tougher conference.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#337 » by Ruzious » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:20 pm

payitforward wrote:I agree that Dotson is a bargain in the 40's -- which doesn't mean he'll make it in the league, only that he seems more likely than some others who might be taken in that range. OTOH, it wouldn't surprise me to see him sneak into the 30's.

He's certainly a better bargain than is Kira Lewis.

I've got Lewis on my top ten list of guys likely to be busts -- which doesn't mean he'll be one, only that he is not the kind of guy I'd pick high. He'd be a bargain in the 40's too, but people seem to see him as a mid-R1 pick who might go in the 4-8 picks after the lottery.

Yet, Dotson put up better numbers in a tougher conference.

I think it's a tossup between the Big 12 and the SEC, tbh. Notice every thing today has 3 letters... like Ruz and Pif. Speaking of which (sorta maybe kinda), Lewis had better conference play numbers than Dotson https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/kira-lewisjr-1.html - as Doc alluded to in his most excellent comparison. I've always been partial to small guards who speed up the tempo - going back to Tiny Arichibald on the Kansas City/Omaha Kings and of course Kevin Porter of the Bullets - my all-time favorite PG - apologies to Gilbert and John... and Larry. But I digress...
payitforward
RealGM

Post#338 » by payitforward » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:07 pm

nate33 wrote:I'll just chime in here to point out that only 3 players in the past 12 years picked lower than 46 have done anything in the NBA before first being waived: Isaiah Thomas, Kyle O'Quinn, and Monte Morris. 3 guys out of 168 players. And only one of them was starting caliber.

If we are going to buy a pick, it better be in the upper half of the second round. Late second round picks merely take up a roster spot we should be using to try out G-League guys. At least G-Leaguers have some professional experience and can often step into an NBA game and fill a role. I'd rather have Jordan McRae or Gary Payton II than the 53rd pick in the draft.

This is an extremely useful corrective, nate. But, you've missed a few -- &, to me, they point to the fact that the curve might not be smooth. I.e. opportunity is available to the sharp-eyed.

2d half of R2 in 2018 -- the names I'd call attention to are:

#46 DeAnthony Melton -- a terrific player on his way to a long, productive NBA career
#47 Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk -- played 1265 minutes this year
#48 Keita Bates-Diop -- a solid journeyman in the making it would seem
#49 Chimezie Metu -- hasn't played a lot (but quite well in his low minutes). SA is said to be very high on him.
#54 Shake Milton -- another terrific player on his way to a long, productive NBA career.

This doesn't make your overall point any less valid -- not in the slightest! But it does indicate that some drafts seem to be stocked in R2 & others not.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#339 » by payitforward » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:10 pm

Nate Hinton is likely to go in the 2d half of R2. Off the numbers & the video, he looks like a can't miss NBA player to me:

Thoughts?
payitforward
RealGM

Post#340 » by payitforward » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:13 pm

Sam Merrill is another low R2 prospect. He looks like he might be a solid NBA journeyman:

Return to Washington Wizards