ImageImageImageImageImage

2020 2nd Round Draft Pick(s)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 40,307
And1: 6,547
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: 2020 2nd Round Draft Pick(s) 

Post#101 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 3, 2020 4:46 pm

Early in the season, I was calling Reed possibly the Brandon Clarke of this draft, but he's fallen some - especially offensively. Defensively is where he's not too far behind Clarke - statistically. Offensively, he's limited. I've watched him some and was a little disappointed. He's easily over-powered and out-maneuvered. A good solid prospect but nothing special, imo.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 13,739
And1: 4,258
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: 2020 2nd Round Draft Pick(s) 

Post#102 » by payitforward » Tue Mar 3, 2020 5:04 pm

But, unfortunately, if he doesn't last past the early 20's of the draft, we won't have a shot at him -- unless we were to trade down (almost always a good idea, sez I). I don't think we will trade down, however.

So... who is likely to be there at #37 or 38?

Has anyone taken a look at Reggie Perry? Out of Mississippi State....
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
pcbothwel
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,076
And1: 1,482
Joined: Jun 12, 2010
     

Re: 2020 2nd Round Draft Pick(s) 

Post#103 » by pcbothwel » Tue Mar 3, 2020 5:32 pm

payitforward wrote:But, unfortunately, if he doesn't last past the early 20's of the draft, we won't have a shot at him -- unless we were to trade down (almost always a good idea, sez I). I don't think we will trade down, however.

So... who is likely to be there at #37 or 38?

Has anyone taken a look at Reggie Perry? Out of Mississippi State....


PIF... I like Perry, but he will go in the Jalen Smith range of 14-22...
This draft really has a lot of intriguing bigs that can hold their own on both ends of the court.

At least one of Tyler Bey, Tillie, Tillman, Sylla, Nesmith, or Oturo will be there (Wieskamp & Isiah Joe as backups)
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 13,739
And1: 4,258
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: 2020 2nd Round Draft Pick(s) 

Post#104 » by payitforward » Tue Mar 3, 2020 9:11 pm

You think Perry will go that high? Wow.... I only mentioned him, because nbadraftroom projects him at #42. Of course, it's just a mock -- & an early one at that. &, obviously, none of the mock drafts, early or late, by them or anyone else, is ever even 85% correct in the end.

For that matter, they have Nesmith, Sylla, Oturu & Bey going in R1. While they project Reed to #31.

I am having some trouble believing in Killian Tillie, btw -- is his upside, his ceiling, better than a journeyman? I don't like I. Joe much either. Wieskamp looks interesting off the numbers -- his Freshman season was better than this year. In fact, it was outstanding.
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
User avatar
youngWizzy
Rookie
Posts: 1,098
And1: 418
Joined: Dec 20, 2016
 

Re: 2020 2nd Round Draft Pick(s) 

Post#105 » by youngWizzy » Tue Mar 3, 2020 11:49 pm

I think Malachi Flynn (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/malachi-flynn-1.html) can be added to the list of good backup point guards in the draft along with Cassius Winston and Payton Pritchard. He's got a really quick first step, shooting and passing ability, and is coming from San Diego State where defense is a priority (which he has shown hes capable). Size and his jumping ability are his biggest weaknesses tho.

Reminds me of Aaron Brooks.
Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
User avatar
youngWizzy
Rookie
Posts: 1,098
And1: 418
Joined: Dec 20, 2016
 

Re: 2020 2nd Round Draft Pick(s) 

Post#106 » by youngWizzy » Wed Mar 4, 2020 9:07 pm

I'd take a flyer on Tyrique Jones (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/tyrique-jones-1.html) from Xavier whom I assume will go undrafted and can be a modern small ball big. Very mobile and 20 points and 16 boards per 40 speaks for itself. However, the ft% are a concern.
Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 40,307
And1: 6,547
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: 2020 2nd Round Draft Pick(s) 

Post#107 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 4, 2020 9:32 pm

youngWizzy wrote:I think Malachi Flynn (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/malachi-flynn-1.html) can be added to the list of good backup point guards in the draft along with Cassius Winston and Payton Pritchard. He's got a really quick first step, shooting and passing ability, and is coming from San Diego State where defense is a priority (which he has shown hes capable). Size and his jumping ability are his biggest weaknesses tho.

Reminds me of Aaron Brooks.

Gotta pull for a player like Flynn. He's small, but he's still got very good defensive stats - plays both ends, makes his teammates better, and he wins. If Fred VanVleet made it, why can't he - though Fred's got a stronger build.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 13,739
And1: 4,258
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: 2020 2nd Round Draft Pick(s) 

Post#108 » by payitforward » Thu Mar 5, 2020 3:39 pm

Ruzious wrote:
youngWizzy wrote:I think Malachi Flynn (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/malachi-flynn-1.html) can be added to the list of good backup point guards in the draft along with Cassius Winston and Payton Pritchard. He's got a really quick first step, shooting and passing ability, and is coming from San Diego State where defense is a priority (which he has shown hes capable). Size and his jumping ability are his biggest weaknesses tho.

Reminds me of Aaron Brooks.

Gotta pull for a player like Flynn. He's small, but he's still got very good defensive stats - plays both ends, makes his teammates better, and he wins. If Fred VanVleet made it, why can't he - though Fred's got a stronger build.

Agree -- I like him.

I think the rookiewire mock draft had him going pretty high, btw.
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
User avatar
doclinkin
General Manager
Posts: 9,618
And1: 1,799
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: .wizuds.

Re: 2020 2nd Round Draft Pick(s) 

Post#109 » by doclinkin » Fri Mar 6, 2020 1:58 am

I often hunt stats for upperclassmen who are posting good stats figuring you can ID if they are grinders who look to improve. If their stats show an uptick in key categories with increased usage and responsibility then I figure you will get good production early and will land a player who loves the game enough to work at it. This was what had me call out Brandon Clarke early last year.

Then I read articles that suggested the younger a cat is who is putting up solid numbers, the higher his upside tends to be at the pro level. For that reason I like looking at overlooked freshman standouts to see who will develop into later stars. Some have been mentioned here or in the main Draft thread: Vernon Carey I like. Okongwu of course. Trayce Jackson Davis, mentioned here.

I probably missed it but I haven't seen rebounding monster Oscar Tshiebwe on these pages. He's one of those wide load no neck high effort dynamos, with arms like a Cthulhu's tentacles. He somehow manages to box out on offensive rebounds better than most box out on defense. Raw athletics and muscles get it done, but he has good instincts on how to use his core strength and low center of gravity as a fulcrum to pivot players out of the way. Needs polish and he will probably stay in school but he's off to a great start.

Though Hmm he's a 20 yr old freshman.
User avatar
gambitx777
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,163
And1: 569
Joined: Dec 18, 2012

Re: 2020 2nd Round Draft Pick(s) 

Post#110 » by gambitx777 » Fri Mar 6, 2020 6:41 am

There is a Latvian kid. 19 pg stats are ****. But he's got good speed, really good speed, good morning IQ and decent passing ability. Probably a year or two away from being a year or two away. I can see us getting a draft and stash on him as a favor to the Lazer.


https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art%C5%ABrs_%C5%BDagars

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
pcbothwel
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,076
And1: 1,482
Joined: Jun 12, 2010
     

Re: 2020 2nd Round Draft Pick(s) 

Post#111 » by pcbothwel » Fri Mar 6, 2020 2:28 pm

doclinkin wrote:I often hunt stats for upperclassmen who are posting good stats figuring you can ID if they are grinders who look to improve. If their stats show an uptick in key categories with increased usage and responsibility then I figure you will get good production early and will land a player who loves the game enough to work at it. This was what had me call out Brandon Clarke early last year.

Then I read articles that suggested the younger a cat is who is putting up solid numbers, the higher his upside tends to be at the pro level. For that reason I like looking at overlooked freshman standouts to see who will develop into later stars. Some have been mentioned here or in the main Draft thread: Vernon Carey I like. Okongwu of course. Trayce Jackson Davis, mentioned here.

I probably missed it but I haven't seen rebounding monster Oscar Tshiebwe on these pages. He's one of those wide load no neck high effort dynamos, with arms like a Cthulhu's tentacles. He somehow manages to box out on offensive rebounds better than most box out on defense. Raw athletics and muscles get it done, but he has good instincts on how to use his core strength and low center of gravity as a fulcrum to pivot players out of the way. Needs polish and he will probably stay in school but he's off to a great start.

Though Hmm he's a 20 yr old freshman.


Doc... In a PG heavy class, Im really liking Kira Lewis. 18 yo Soph PG... A year younger than Cole Anthony!
Reminds me of Coby White and would be a STEAL anywhere outside the top 25(... Assuming he declares. But if he waits, hes a lotto pick next year).
Playing in one of the fastest D1 offenses this year under Oats caused a slow start, but really picking it up over the last few weeks.
- Great 1st step and body control/Euro step
- Good passing instincts
- Great spacial awareness and rebounder despite being 170

Sylla, Kira Lewis, Tillman, and Nesmith are really the guys Im hoping we can get in the 2nd
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 40,307
And1: 6,547
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: 2020 2nd Round Draft Pick(s) 

Post#112 » by Ruzious » Fri Mar 6, 2020 3:29 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
doclinkin wrote:I often hunt stats for upperclassmen who are posting good stats figuring you can ID if they are grinders who look to improve. If their stats show an uptick in key categories with increased usage and responsibility then I figure you will get good production early and will land a player who loves the game enough to work at it. This was what had me call out Brandon Clarke early last year.

Then I read articles that suggested the younger a cat is who is putting up solid numbers, the higher his upside tends to be at the pro level. For that reason I like looking at overlooked freshman standouts to see who will develop into later stars. Some have been mentioned here or in the main Draft thread: Vernon Carey I like. Okongwu of course. Trayce Jackson Davis, mentioned here.

I probably missed it but I haven't seen rebounding monster Oscar Tshiebwe on these pages. He's one of those wide load no neck high effort dynamos, with arms like a Cthulhu's tentacles. He somehow manages to box out on offensive rebounds better than most box out on defense. Raw athletics and muscles get it done, but he has good instincts on how to use his core strength and low center of gravity as a fulcrum to pivot players out of the way. Needs polish and he will probably stay in school but he's off to a great start.

Though Hmm he's a 20 yr old freshman.


Doc... In a PG heavy class, Im really liking Kira Lewis. 18 yo Soph PG... A year younger than Cole Anthony!
Reminds me of Coby White and would be a STEAL anywhere outside the top 25(... Assuming he declares. But if he waits, hes a lotto pick next year).
Playing in one of the fastest D1 offenses this year under Oats caused a slow start, but really picking it up over the last few weeks.
- Great 1st step and body control/Euro step
- Good passing instincts
- Great spacial awareness and rebounder despite being 170

Sylla, Kira Lewis, Tillman, and Nesmith are really the guys Im hoping we can get in the 2nd

Lewis and Jaden Shackelford make an interesting backcourt combo - I think they're both 18 - Alabama could be a fun team to watch in the post-season.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
dckingsfan
RealGM
Posts: 18,491
And1: 5,576
Joined: May 28, 2010

Re: 2020 2nd Round Draft Pick(s) 

Post#113 » by dckingsfan » Fri Mar 6, 2020 4:26 pm

gambitx777 wrote:There is a Latvian kid. 19 pg stats are ****. But he's got good speed, really good speed, good morning IQ and decent passing ability. Probably a year or two away from being a year or two away. I can see us getting a draft and stash on him as a favor to the Lazer.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art%C5%ABrs_%C5%BDagars

I watched him play one game, so not much. He was a turnover machine. He needs to learn to play under control. I don't think anyone would draft him, so bringing him over for summer league would work?
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 40,307
And1: 6,547
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: 2020 2nd Round Draft Pick(s) 

Post#114 » by Ruzious » Fri Mar 6, 2020 6:10 pm

gambitx777 wrote:There is a Latvian kid. 19 pg stats are ****. But he's got good speed, really good speed, good morning IQ and decent passing ability. Probably a year or two away from being a year or two away. I can see us getting a draft and stash on him as a favor to the Lazer.


https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art%C5%ABrs_%C5%BDagars

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app

It's good that his morning IQ is up there, but what about his in-game IQ? And no favors better than a nice cabbage soup to Bertans.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 40,307
And1: 6,547
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: 2020 2nd Round Draft Pick(s) 

Post#115 » by Ruzious » Fri Mar 6, 2020 6:23 pm

doclinkin wrote:I often hunt stats for upperclassmen who are posting good stats figuring you can ID if they are grinders who look to improve. If their stats show an uptick in key categories with increased usage and responsibility then I figure you will get good production early and will land a player who loves the game enough to work at it. This was what had me call out Brandon Clarke early last year.

Then I read articles that suggested the younger a cat is who is putting up solid numbers, the higher his upside tends to be at the pro level. For that reason I like looking at overlooked freshman standouts to see who will develop into later stars. Some have been mentioned here or in the main Draft thread: Vernon Carey I like. Okongwu of course. Trayce Jackson Davis, mentioned here.

I probably missed it but I haven't seen rebounding monster Oscar Tshiebwe on these pages. He's one of those wide load no neck high effort dynamos, with arms like a Cthulhu's tentacles. He somehow manages to box out on offensive rebounds better than most box out on defense. Raw athletics and muscles get it done, but he has good instincts on how to use his core strength and low center of gravity as a fulcrum to pivot players out of the way. Needs polish and he will probably stay in school but he's off to a great start.

Though Hmm he's a 20 yr old freshman.

Have you checked out Governor Terry Taylor from Austin Peay? When I watched him last season, I couldn't tell if he was slow or... deliberate.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
User avatar
doclinkin
General Manager
Posts: 9,618
And1: 1,799
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: .wizuds.

Re: 2020 2nd Round Draft Pick(s) 

Post#116 » by doclinkin » Fri Mar 6, 2020 7:30 pm

Ruzious wrote:
doclinkin wrote:I often hunt stats for upperclassmen who are posting good stats figuring you can ID if they are grinders who look to improve. If their stats show an uptick in key categories with increased usage and responsibility then I figure you will get good production early and will land a player who loves the game enough to work at it. This was what had me call out Brandon Clarke early last year.

Then I read articles that suggested the younger a cat is who is putting up solid numbers, the higher his upside tends to be at the pro level. For that reason I like looking at overlooked freshman standouts to see who will develop into later stars. Some have been mentioned here or in the main Draft thread: Vernon Carey I like. Okongwu of course. Trayce Jackson Davis, mentioned here.

I probably missed it but I haven't seen rebounding monster Oscar Tshiebwe on these pages. He's one of those wide load no neck high effort dynamos, with arms like a Cthulhu's tentacles. He somehow manages to box out on offensive rebounds better than most box out on defense. Raw athletics and muscles get it done, but he has good instincts on how to use his core strength and low center of gravity as a fulcrum to pivot players out of the way. Needs polish and he will probably stay in school but he's off to a great start.

Though Hmm he's a 20 yr old freshman.

Have you checked out Governor Terry Taylor from Austin Peay? When I watched him last season, I couldn't tell if he was slow or... deliberate.



This is one of those Small School Big Stat type players. I tend to shy away from this sort of profile since you can't see how they fare against (literally) bigger teams. Whether no neck types or beanstalks or athELITE types there's commonly a deflation when they encounter real competition. Usually the rebounding stays the same but the FG% and efficiency drops off. At West Virginia Huggins usually has a pretty brutal schedule.

Looks like Austin Peay played WV and both Oscar and Terry played well. I'll look deeper at Terry Taylor.
User avatar
daSwami
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,071
And1: 300
Joined: Jun 14, 2002
Location: Charlottesville
         

Re: 2020 2nd Round Draft Pick(s) 

Post#117 » by daSwami » Fri Mar 6, 2020 8:04 pm

Since I'm in Cville, I've definitely got rose-colored glasses for UVA kids (especially since last year), but Mamadi Diakite could give this team some much-needed blondeness. (Something this team has desperately needed in the post-Ron Baker Era.) I also think he'll be a decent pro.
Black Lives Matter.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 40,307
And1: 6,547
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: 2020 2nd Round Draft Pick(s) 

Post#118 » by Ruzious » Fri Mar 6, 2020 8:14 pm

daSwami wrote:Since I'm in Cville, I've definitely got rose-colored glasses for UVA kids (especially since last year), but Mamadi Diakite could give this team some much-needed blondeness. (Something this team has desperately needed in the post-Ron Baker Era.) I also think he'll be a decent pro.

It's fair to say that's not naturally blond. I thought UVA would stink this season, but every year they figure it out while scoring 50 points a game. Their center had 9 blocks the other day? Diakite's a good player, but he drops the ball a lot - just doesn't have good hands.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 13,739
And1: 4,258
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: 2020 2nd Round Draft Pick(s) 

Post#119 » by payitforward » Fri Mar 6, 2020 8:21 pm

Ruzious wrote:
daSwami wrote:Since I'm in Cville, I've definitely got rose-colored glasses for UVA kids (especially since last year), but Mamadi Diakite could give this team some much-needed blondeness. (Something this team has desperately needed in the post-Ron Baker Era.) I also think he'll be a decent pro.

It's fair to say that's not naturally blond. I thought UVA would stink this season, but every year they figure it out while scoring 50 points a game. Their center had 9 blocks the other day? Diakite's a good player, but he drops the ball a lot - just doesn't have good hands.

A lot of times, natural blondness doesn't translate to the league -- again the example of Ron Baker is a good one. I'll take the blondness that comes with hard work & dedication every time. That kind of blondness can lead to great things.

Remember the words of the old spiritual, Ruz: "Once I was blond but now can see."
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 40,307
And1: 6,547
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: 2020 2nd Round Draft Pick(s) 

Post#120 » by Ruzious » Fri Mar 6, 2020 8:34 pm

payitforward wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
daSwami wrote:Since I'm in Cville, I've definitely got rose-colored glasses for UVA kids (especially since last year), but Mamadi Diakite could give this team some much-needed blondeness. (Something this team has desperately needed in the post-Ron Baker Era.) I also think he'll be a decent pro.

It's fair to say that's not naturally blond. I thought UVA would stink this season, but every year they figure it out while scoring 50 points a game. Their center had 9 blocks the other day? Diakite's a good player, but he drops the ball a lot - just doesn't have good hands.

A lot of times, natural blondness doesn't translate to the league -- again the example of Ron Baker is a good one. I'll take the blondness that comes with hard work & dedication every time. That kind of blondness can lead to great things.

Remember the words of the old spiritual, Ruz: "Once I was blond but now can see."

I believe that blond was spelled with an I. I'm trying to remember the last natural blond NBA player. Drawing a blank. Was Steve Nash blond? Might have to back to the Van Arsdale brothers. The Smothers brothers?
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas

Return to Washington Wizards